Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i always figured nintendo and square created smrpg as a gateway rpg, tailored mostly for westerners. it was meant to be played by like 6-10yo so that they'd learn the basics of the more complex and growing rpg genre, which is where they really saw the future going.

would say that was a pretty smart take on their part. that smrpg is still a ton of fun just speaks to how much effort and care they put into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Games can be engaging without being difficult, and I think in the back half Mario RPG falters (especially in the final stretch where you're just in like a generic volcano fighting generic rock dudes, or the endgame zone). Fortunately the game's short enough that it doesn't really matter. The remake adding free AOE damage helps make trash fights go quickly too.

I think it's kind of impossible to play this (and even the early Paper Marios) and have the true experience they originally offered, because at the time Mario RPG came out there weren't really Silly RPG's in general. Earthbound is the obvious exception but that game didn't sell very well outside of Japan. Even when I played Superstar Saga and TTYD in the early 2000's it felt novel for a game to have fun self-aware writing, whereas that stuff is all over the place now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Tender Bender posted:

The remake adding free AOE damage helps make trash fights go quickly too.

I’ve seen some crying about this feature making the game too easy, but yeah I’m very certain it was added to curb how sloggy lategame gets. It definitely sped up a bunch of fights by that point cause the endgame of SMRPG just sucks to go through otherwise.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
barrel volcano owns, btfo

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Looper posted:

barrel volcano owns, btfo

barrel tha gently caress out?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mega64 posted:

You don't play SMRPG for the difficulty, you play it for its charm.

Yes but also it's not that charming. It definitely has some great moments (Nimbus Kingdom) but often the gameplay gets in the way and as much as some poses were fun (Praise the sun!) it also felt limited.

maybeadracula posted:

It's essentially a Kirby game

Kirby is on its own tier of charming as all hell. It is prime "easy" game that is always and forever a delight. I have one more voucher and I'm almost certain that at this point it's going to the Kirby game that got remade, as I've never played it and I haven't ever not enjoyed a Kirby game.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
One change I really liked in the remake was the addition of the special enemies. They probably weren't enough to cancel out the other additions making the game overall easier but it does force you to change up your tactics. It gives enemies a bit more of an identity with their stats magnified. Bees become priority targets because they're still frail but hit really hard. The magma lumps are now almost completely immune to physical damage. It gives you a bit more reason to swap your team around.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One thing I really appreciate about SMRPG is that it has that punchiness that you don't really see in any modern RPGs. All the cutscenes and dialogue are short and snappy, yet convey everything that needs to be said, and none of the gags outstay their welcome.

The only game I can think of that does it better is Chrono Trigger, which is the supreme SNES RPG for a reason.

E: also it has a yoko shimomura soundtrack, yes, obviously a plus

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 3, 2024

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Got a oled switch for Xmas and my first game was SMRPG
I played the original as a kid and even though it definitely is easy it really is charming and funny and the music it’s hitting my ears so nice

Very fun game

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SilkyP posted:

Got a oled switch for Xmas and my first game was SMRPG
I played the original as a kid and even though it definitely is easy it really is charming and funny and the music it’s hitting my ears so nice

Very fun game

It is so good. My sister got me it as a Christmas gift and I straight up beat it in 2-3 sittings.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

One thing I really appreciate about SMRPG is that it has that punchiness that you don't really see in any modern RPGs. All the cutscenes and dialogue are short and snappy, yet convey everything that needs to be said, and none of the gags outstay their welcome.

The only game I can think of that does it better is Chrono Trigger, which is the supreme SNES RPG for a reason.

And yes, it is just so drat snappy and fast and responsive. Battles are so much fun, you are in out of them so quick. The cutscenes and dialogue are fun and FUNNY. I loved all the gags. Its just short and sweet and to the point. The gameplay though just completely shines. It just holds up so well and the qol changes in the remake are the cherry on top.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yes but also it's not that charming. It definitely has some great moments (Nimbus Kingdom) but often the gameplay gets in the way and as much as some poses were fun (Praise the sun!) it also felt limited.

I don't know about that. Seems like it just wasn't for you because for me it was endlessly charming. I loved the simplicity of it all and sure maybe its held back because it was a SNES game, but we don't see this type of humor in gaming now. The sped up animations for example is just something no one really does anymore.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I don't know about that. Seems like it just wasn't for you because for me it was endlessly charming. I loved the simplicity of it all and sure maybe its held back because it was a SNES game, but we don't see this type of humor in gaming now. The sped up animations for example is just something no one really does anymore.

I get people who’re enjoying more thanks to nostalgia. But coming into it as an adult who never played the original it’s cute but we see that sort of quirkiness a lot in games. It’s rather unique in its slapstick i feel but I wouldn’t call it its selling.

Mind you I played the SNES version recently so it’s lacking a lot of the bells and whistles and gorgeous graphics of the new one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The remake was my first time playing through SMRPG properly and I thought it was super charming and unique

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Booster ftw

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I got my Nitro Deck today and it sure feels nice.
I'm probably going to play several hours of Arceus with it tonight so I will have a good idea of performance by midnight.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I get people who’re enjoying more thanks to nostalgia. But coming into it as an adult who never played the original it’s cute but we see that sort of quirkiness a lot in games. It’s rather unique in its slapstick i feel but I wouldn’t call it its selling.

Mind you I played the SNES version recently so it’s lacking a lot of the bells and whistles and gorgeous graphics of the new one.

I have no nostalgia for the original game. I basically hated the look of the game and it always put me off so I just never really bothered with it. This remake completely sold me on it, but thats just me though.

E: Like I can't imagine playing through the original SNES version anymore. I'd rather have this newer version with the QOL updates. I don't really mind if its easier, I loved the timing attacks giving you AOE damage for example. Its just a fun and short game and it hit during its entire 10-12 hour runtime.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 3, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That REALLY stands out, it's just such a smooth game to slip into for that, when even at the time so many JRPGs in particular could be overlong slogs in so many aspects, and many modern games are possibly worse than they've ever been for dragging literally everything out. The new CG cutscenes are snappy and short, with lots of detail and personality packed into them. The design is so tight and while there's easter eggs, secrets and minigames, they're simple and optional and the game doesn't hold it over your head for not finding them.

And I think it says a lot that almost all the changes in the remake are improvements to that. As said, the group attacks on perfect timing cut out fights that could turn into slogs, action commands made more clear, and the team attacks are a fun and convenient way to end a fight or swing it in your favour. Actually getting clear indication of enemy weaknesses and immunities lets you actually use status effects and elemental attacks and know you're getting use out of them rather than trial and error.

buddychrist10 posted:

One change I really liked in the remake was the addition of the special enemies. They probably weren't enough to cancel out the other additions making the game overall easier but it does force you to change up your tactics. It gives enemies a bit more of an identity with their stats magnified. Bees become priority targets because they're still frail but hit really hard. The magma lumps are now almost completely immune to physical damage. It gives you a bit more reason to swap your team around.

Indeed, and they make you remember enemies that you might not otherwise since they tend to actually get to use all their signature abilities and you may need to actually learn and take advantage of their weaknesses. Also an additional source of frog coins without having to go far out of your way to find them is nice.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I have no nostalgia for the original game. I basically hated the look of the game and it always put me off so I just never really bothered with it. This remake completely sold me on it, but thats just me though.

E: Like I can't imagine playing through the original SNES version anymore. I'd rather have this newer version with the QOL updates. I don't really mind if its easier, I loved the timing attacks giving you AOE damage for example. Its just a fun and short game and it hit during its entire 10-12 hour runtime.

I’d probably be more generous had it been snappier. The fights definitely feel superfluous and while you can avoid them sometimes you can’t.

The remake does look good and I bet it really serves the humor well. While I’d be cautious recommending it to other people due to its ease and length (60€ for 12 hours may be too small an investment for some), it’s definitely a must if it’s an introduction to the genre.

I’m glad I did the SNES version. There’s a bit of rose-colored glasses but not a lot. It’s cute and it’s well made. It’s just dead easy but given it was a lot of peoples first JRPG then it clearly did what it was meant to do. I probably wouldn’t recommend it to people who know the genre well without heavy caveats at any rate.

Augus posted:

The remake was my first time playing through SMRPG properly and I thought it was super charming and unique

To be fair I was very disappointed in Captain Toad. The charm wasn’t enough to save it from how brain dead easy it was. So it’s just possible I have no heart (or whatever I do have has only enough room for Kirby.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Speaking of Super Mario RPG, turns out they didn't buff the super jump timings. It's 3 frames minimum in both versions! :psyduck:

For those of you that got 100 jumps in the remake, you're just that good!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wtf i've only barely gotten 30 in the snes version but gotten to over 70 in the remake, i refuse the believe that

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You’ve grown more powerful with age congrats

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hatty posted:

You’ve grown more powerful with age congrats

i last tried for 100 super jumps in the snes version this year, right after the remake was announced. i tried it on a crt and everything.

maybe the animations are more consistent or something i dunno, i practiced on a spikey for two hours and only barely hit 30, which was the best i've ever done.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

wtf i've only barely gotten 30 in the snes version but gotten to over 70 in the remake, i refuse the believe that

Maybe all that Mario 35 you played made you better at all forms of Mario.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Araxxor posted:

Speaking of Super Mario RPG, turns out they didn't buff the super jump timings. It's 3 frames minimum in both versions! :psyduck:

For those of you that got 100 jumps in the remake, you're just that good!

I think what made it easier is the shadows, you can track Mario's location and movement even when he's off screen

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I heard that the remake has input delay that, either by design or coincidence, lines up with where most people feel like they should push the button.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I’d probably be more generous had it been snappier. The fights definitely feel superfluous and while you can avoid them sometimes you can’t.

The remake does look good and I bet it really serves the humor well. While I’d be cautious recommending it to other people due to its ease and length (60€ for 12 hours may be too small an investment for some), it’s definitely a must if it’s an introduction to the genre.

I’m glad I did the SNES version. There’s a bit of rose-colored glasses but not a lot. It’s cute and it’s well made. It’s just dead easy but given it was a lot of peoples first JRPG then it clearly did what it was meant to do. I probably wouldn’t recommend it to people who know the genre well without heavy caveats at any rate.

To be fair I was very disappointed in Captain Toad. The charm wasn’t enough to save it from how brain dead easy it was. So it’s just possible I have no heart (or whatever I do have has only enough room for Kirby.)

Yeah I think its cool you did the SNES version, but I think you would have enjoyed the remake more. You're in and out of battles so quickly and its really snappy. Like it was so addicting I could not put it down, regardless if it was easy or not. The charm carried me through.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

as someone playing it for the first time via the remake, it isn't nostalgia, it's just a legitimately fun and addictive frolic

symbolic fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 3, 2024

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I think my jump record was like 12 or 13

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The problem is the timing changes two or three times during the count up, once at 10, again at 30, and one more time I think, but if you know that it makes it a lot easier.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

metroid prime 4 when

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Quantum of Phallus posted:

metroid prime 4 when

never

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah I think its cool you did the SNES version, but I think you would have enjoyed the remake more. You're in and out of battles so quickly and its really snappy. Like it was so addicting I could not put it down, regardless if it was easy or not. The charm carried me through.

I wonder if I wouldn't have been more annoyed given the cost to be honest. I'm glad I had the SNES classic to save me 60 euro, but while fast fights sounds nice, if they're so fast, why have them at all?

Of course that's the big question in any JRPG is the fine line of making the non-boss battles, random or otherwise, fun and not tedious, but also not pointless. SMRPG's ease really means that battles almost don't have to be fought, and from what I understand Paper Mario has continued down that path making all but the boss fights practically superfluous. I loved the battles in FFX, it's probably my favorite turn-based system aside from Octopath Traveller and Bravely Default, but in all those fights gave you some great resources for leveling up in interesting ways.

It's not the game's fault by any means, being an intro the genre limits it in some ways, but from a design perspective it must be really hard to do that well.

symbolic posted:

as someone playing it for the first time via the remake, it isn't nostalgia, it's just a legitimately fun and addictive frolic

I don't think it's just nostalgia. I think that would've helped quite a bit, but it's certainly a cute little game on its own. I'm glad everyone has enjoyed it as much as they did.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
short games are still worth money

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The encounters in Mario RPG are fun because they are on your screen and don't respawn, so when I kill a monster it is dead and I get a real sense of accomplishment. I can see that goomba is loving dead and won't be bothering me no more.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I full cleared / 100%'d Mario RPG and Dragon Quest Monsters 3; what JRPG or similar should I play next? I was a Genesis kid so I missed a lot of the classics, but played some (DQ 1-3, Chrono Trigger) on Game Boy. Haven't really kept up with the genre.

Persona seems like it might not be as "chill" as these; Mario and DQM were extremely low-stakes / low-frustration.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Ville Valo posted:

I full cleared / 100%'d Mario RPG and Dragon Quest Monsters 3; what JRPG or similar should I play next? I was a Genesis kid so I missed a lot of the classics, but played some (DQ 1-3, Chrono Trigger) on Game Boy. Haven't really kept up with the genre.

Persona seems like it might not be as "chill" as these; Mario and DQM were extremely low-stakes / low-frustration.

there's a lot of final fantasy games on switch if you've managed to avoid those

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Final Fantasy 4 Pixel Remaster

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Speaking of RPGs, since there’s a few hours left of the Eshop sale, should I pick up SMT Nocturne and the DLC or is the base game well enough as-is? Also, should I get that and/or Dave the Diver?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

SirBukkake posted:

Speaking of RPGs, since there’s a few hours left of the Eshop sale, should I pick up SMT Nocturne and the DLC or is the base game well enough as-is? Also, should I get that and/or Dave the Diver?

i can't speak for the dlc, but i'm playing the ps2 version of nocturne right now and even ye olde timey version of that game kicks rear end. it's no walk in the park though, it really expects you to be a smart cookie about your party composition and how you use your turns in battle. it's fun!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Nocturne originally had a sidequest featuring Dante (from the Devil May Cry series). Later on they rereleased the game with Dante (from the Devil May Cry series) swapped out for a demon hunter from a different Shin Megami Tensei series instead.

The modern version has the SMT crossover sidequest by default, with the Dante version as paid dlc. You can only do one or the other and they’re mechanically the same, so it’s fine to skip the dlc unless you really love Dante (from the Devil May Cry series)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Raidou Kuzunoha is cooler than Dante (from the Devil May Cry series)