Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Escape Academy is today's Epic freebie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I played a bunch of Escape Academy on Game Pass and thought it was neat

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

repiv posted:

only UE4/UE5 unfortunately
Awww.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

That’s from a tool that was recently released that can add VR to ANY unreal engine game. It’s pretty rad, even in its early stages

my vision is augmented

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

just port 2k4 to ue5 ezpz

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

just port 2k4 to ue5 ezpz

it's more likely than you think, someone is developing a framework which loads UE1 games into UE5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6NICofm-cg

UT2004 is UE2, but UT99 could maybe work

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I didn't realize until now that ghostrunner and ghostwire were two different games, thank you Epic Games Store.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Tagichatn posted:

I didn't realize until now that ghostrunner and ghostwire were two different games, thank you Epic Games Store.

This, this is the reason that I could have sworn I owned this game already. Thank you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Real Outer Worlds/Outer Wilds situation we've got going here

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Ghostrunner was also free on Prime Gaming a few months ago, I was similarly confused because I thought I already had it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sure enough 20 minutes to dawn is the epic freebie today.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I redeemed it just now even though I know I'll never play it.

...because I've already played it on Steam for 30+ hours. Probably my favorite from that very first wave of Vampire Survivors clones.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

A plague tale: Innocence is the epic freebie. I already had it so must be a repeat.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Suburban Dad posted:

A plague tale: Innocence is the epic freebie. I already had it so must be a repeat.

In case you want to skip the front page, which is full of video games, ugh.
link: https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/a-plague-tale-innocence

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mierenneuker posted:

I redeemed it just now even though I know I'll never play it.

...because I've already played it on Steam for 30+ hours. Probably my favorite from that very first wave of Vampire Survivors clones.

its funny because vampire survivors was itself a clone of a mobile game that was pretty drat good (but then got no attention as the origin for these games, rip poor app developer)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Doom wasn't the first FPS but we still called 'em Doom clones.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

alexandriao posted:

its funny because vampire survivors was itself a clone of a mobile game that was pretty drat good (but then got no attention as the origin for these games, rip poor app developer)

The main Vampire Survivors dev mentioned Magic Survivors in interviews* and the patch note for at least one early update. I think it did get additional attention in the wake of VS' success, certainly more than your average game for mobile devices.

*the earliest example: https://www.pcgamer.com/vampire-survivors-creator-didnt-have-a-vision-when-he-started-making-the-game-that-allowed-him-to-quit-his-job/

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Doom wasn't the first FPS but we still called 'em Doom clones.

Doom is an Encarta clone

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

Doom is an Encarta clone

Mindmaze! Now that's a game I haven't played in a long time....

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
and guardians of the galaxy is the final daily freebie on epic today

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Excellent pickup if you don't already have it.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

karoshi posted:

In case you want to skip the front page, which is full of video games, ugh.
link: https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/a-plague-tale-innocence

If you really want to skip the front page, bookmark this: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games so you can get right to what you want without needing new links for each game.

If you're into claiming whatever with minimum interaction, AND you're logged in to gog.com, visit this link to claim whatever is on giveaway: https://www.gog.com/giveaway/claim

Success is indicated by empty braces {}. If you only read that there is a giveaway (and not what the actual title is) and claim it this way, there's no temptation to play the game. What is it? Who knows. But you now own it.

Anything other than success will give you a brief error message, like "giveway ended" or "already owned".

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Time for the 2023 earnings statement! I'm mainly a GOG buyer (Epic will never get its claws on my precious emails), so here's the free game "value" bonanza I scored in the last year.

2023 saw our enterprise cut spending by over 20%, but we reaped an explosion in sheer gaming wealth. The value extracted in free and discounted games shows a modest surge in UGSV (Unplayed Game Stack Value) of just over 10%, but the number of free games leapt from 33 to 45. That's literally more games than I could possibly play in a year, so the most sensible policy, as usual, is to play absolutely none of them, and archive them weightlessly with the remainder of the Strategic Video Games Reserve, at this time, exactly 500 strong, 207 of them completely free.

Our business is the senseless acquisition of free and discounted games, and business is, as always, good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 8, 2024

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

HarmB posted:

If you really want to skip the front page, bookmark this: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games so you can get right to what you want without needing new links for each game.

If you're into claiming whatever with minimum interaction, AND you're logged in to gog.com, visit this link to claim whatever is on giveaway: https://www.gog.com/giveaway/claim

Success is indicated by empty braces {}. If you only read that there is a giveaway (and not what the actual title is) and claim it this way, there's no temptation to play the game. What is it? Who knows. But you now own it.

Anything other than success will give you a brief error message, like "giveway ended" or "already owned".

Cheers!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Time for the 2023 earnings statement! I'm mainly a GOG buyer (Epic will never get its claws on my precious emails), so here's the free game "value" bonanza I scored in the last year.

2023 saw our enterprise cut spending by over 20%, but we reaped an explosion in sheer gaming wealth. The value extracted in free and discounted games shows a modest surge in UGSV (Unplayed Game Stack Value) of just over 10%, but the number of free games leapt from 33 to 45. That's literally more games than I could possibly play in a year, so the most sensible policy, as usual, is to play absolutely none of them, and archive them weightlessly with the remainder of the Strategic Video Games Reserve, at this time, exactly 500 strong, 207 of them completely free.

Our business is the senseless acquisition of free and discounted games, and business is, as always, good.

These are the spreadsheets we crave.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
imagine having any data that's not $0.00

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

doctorfrog posted:

The true fun isn't the games we didn't play along the way, it's making spreadsheets about it. Thank you for your sacrifice.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

doctorfrog posted:

I've heard of certain games being a spreadsheet simulator, but this is ridiculous!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

doctorfrog posted:

I elect you cfo of this thread

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
It's time for a shakeup. Our acquisition costs last year were incredibly high. We had several posters surrender their email addresses in exchange for games.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

alexandriao posted:

To be fair the Vamp Survivors guy did totally leverage his knowledge of working in pokie machines to make VS addictive as gently caress. And it worked, by god it worked.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
EGS freebie is broken.
Was supposed to be Sail Forth, but it is $20.
Refreshing the main free games page and the free game is now blank.

Fixed it finally.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 11, 2024

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

OgNar posted:

EGS freebie is broken.
Was supposed to be Sail Forth, but it is $20.
Refreshing the main free games page and the free game is now blank.

Fixed it finally.

holy poo poo! the first free game i am claiming that i will actually play. i was following this game for a bit before its release and intended to buy it, but promptly forgot about it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I would play this one, but I haven’t played Sail 1-3 yet.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

My Spirit Otter posted:

free game i am claiming that i will actually play

MODS!!

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

BGrifter posted:

I would play this one, but I haven’t played Sail 1-3 yet.

:discourse:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I had a thought earlier today, that this thread is much like jazz, it's about the free games you don't play.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Sail Forth does not allow launching without logging in.
It has its own EGS log in before getting to the main menu when launching from its exe.
The one good thing about Epic games seems to be gone.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Some other Epic game thing I installed tried that on me, and I just closed it and the game ran fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

The General posted:

Some other Epic game thing I installed tried that on me, and I just closed it and the game ran fine.

I think Snakebird did this.