Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gripweed posted:

The US didn't lose the battle of the Alamo though?

Exactly. Just like we didn’t lose any other wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Growing up, I often heard "remember the Alamo!" but it was always divorced from any context about what the Alamo was.

It was a church or something?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It was a car rental agency

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This discussion is reminding me of one of my own unpopular opinions: it's weird as hell how people use the word "we" to refer to a group of completely different people, as long as they're from from the same country. As in, "we won the Battle of Lorem Ipsum in 1916." Or sometimes it's a different group identity, such as a sports fan whose only part in the games is watching them on TV saying "we won against Green Bay last night". Who did all this, again?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's we when we win, but them when they lose. Not hard to grasp.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Couldn't even win the war on Christmas smdh

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

oh no I am more than happy to admit that the overall state of militaries in the first world is pretty drat dire.

Astana is not in the first world buddy, we’re actually next on the list if the mighty russians win in Ukraine

E: And I’m in the reserve of the military I’m referring to, fwiw. By virtue of being :911: and around military people in my life I got promoted prolly beyond my competence because the US military is pretty good and respected/feared

E2: honestly how many of your hot takes are from irl and how many are from your armchair communism necessitating the Great Satan being the worst and dumbest, at all times, so you can have good tummy feels that you are Correct (no threat)

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Jan 3, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Shortbread makes the best type of cookie

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Every military encounter is a loss to humanity in general. gently caress this dickswinging bullshit, war is always horrible. Nobody truly “wins” except maybe the global military industrial complex, and gently caress that whole ugly profiteering machine.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I stand with shithouse Dave

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

War.

War never changes

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

That’s a quote from Fallout

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

This discussion is reminding me of one of my own unpopular opinions: it's weird as hell how people use the word "we" to refer to a group of completely different people, as long as they're from from the same country. As in, "we won the Battle of Lorem Ipsum in 1916." Or sometimes it's a different group identity, such as a sports fan whose only part in the games is watching them on TV saying "we won against Green Bay last night". Who did all this, again?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Shithouse Dave posted:

Every military encounter is a loss to humanity in general. gently caress this dickswinging bullshit, war is always horrible. Nobody truly “wins” except maybe the global military industrial complex, and gently caress that whole ugly profiteering machine.

It's incredible to me that grown adults are having that argument. The US military has 10,000 nuclear bombs, enough to kill everybody everywhere, therefore... what? You wanna be proud about that? Is that good?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

It's incredible to me that grown adults are having that argument. The US military has 10,000 nuclear bombs, enough to kill everybody everywhere, therefore... what? You wanna be proud about that? Is that good?

based

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There are multiple politics sub-forums and you still got suckered into this poo poo, you have only yourselves to blame.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

oldpainless posted:

War.

War never changes

War has changed.

It's no longer about nations, ideologies, or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by mercenaries and machines.

That's not a quote, I made it up just now.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

When people "mess up" idioms, they are almost universally improving the idiom in a way that is uncomfortable to people who built their identity around getting 100% on tests.

Someone who is "reigning in" their enthusiasm is exerting sovereign power over themselves. A "mute" point is one not worth saying or hearing any more. Something that happens "on queue" is happening in a preordained sequence. People who are "taken for granite" are common, mundane, but essential. A person waiting with "baited" breath is poised for the moment, like a trap ready to be sprung. Someone "unphased" hasn't had their state changed by the event. Someone "buttoning" down the hatches is securing them.

All of those make sense syntactically, they just aren't how people usually say them. And they are especially better when they don't rely on otherwise-extinct words like "moot" or "bated" or "faze" or "batten".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

When people "mess up" idioms, they are almost universally improving the idiom in a way that is uncomfortable to people who built their identity around getting 100% on tests.

Someone who is "reigning in" their enthusiasm is exerting sovereign power over themselves. A "mute" point is one not worth saying or hearing any more. Something that happens "on queue" is happening in a preordained sequence. People who are "taken for granite" are common, mundane, but essential. A person waiting with "baited" breath is poised for the moment, like a trap ready to be sprung. Someone "unphased" hasn't had their state changed by the event. Someone "buttoning" down the hatches is securing them.

All of those make sense syntactically, they just aren't how people usually say them. And they are especially better when they don't rely on otherwise-extinct words like "moot" or "bated" or "faze" or "batten".

Cope for never having rode a horse

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Cope for never having rode a horse

"ridden"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

80% of Americans have never even seen a horse in real life, let alone rid one

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Although my grandparents owned a big red horse when I was growing up. They named her dodie. And she would neigh at you when she saw you.

It was the call of dodie, big red one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Although my grandparents owned a big red horse when I was growing up. They named her dodie. And she would neigh at you when she saw you.

It was the call of dodie, big red one.

Those fleeting moments seeing her, it must've been your finest hour

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

This is the most beautiful weather forecast ever.

Go away summer likers, and especially my mom who is always like omg are you cold are you alright do you need a new coat like no mom this Queen Elsa vibe rocks coldest capital in the world ftw

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Any attempt to remove the naval heritage of the English language is a crime against culture and humanity.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is the most beautiful weather forecast ever.

Go away summer likers, and especially my mom who is always like omg are you cold are you alright do you need a new coat like no mom this Queen Elsa vibe rocks coldest capital in the world ftw

:sickos:

Give me a midnight low of -40 with a sunny and still winter day. I want the sunshine to beat down on an earth so cold that it laughs in the face of melting, but not an OUNCE of wind.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It is currently Christmas Day. The other one was the fake, wrong one.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If you're in the business of making and selling M.2 hard drives, and you don't include both the little screw and the little riser that needs to be screwed into the motherboard, I hope every piece of furniture you own from now until the end of time has a leg that falls off because it's got a shoddy or missing screw. Beds, dressers, cupboards, gently caress you forever.

If you're in the business of making motherboards, and you decided that instead of putting the M.2 slot next to where the PCI-E components go (free and clear, easy to access), you should instead put it UNDER THE CPU HEATSINK, I hope all of the other guy's missing screws end up in your kidneys :ramsay:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

it's deeply hosed up that this is supposed to be pronounced "raiden"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Thinking about Halloween, I believe more songs should be included in the season that maybe aren't considered 'Halloween' enough. Two that come to mind are Witchy Woman by the Eagles & Devil Went Down to Georgia by Charlie Daniels. I feel like they fit the spirit enough that they should be on anyone's Halloween playlist. I'll even throw it out there - does anyone here have songs they'd consider a fit for Halloween that nobody else has considered/thought of?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Thinking about Halloween, I believe more songs should be included in the season that maybe aren't considered 'Halloween' enough. Two that come to mind are Witchy Woman by the Eagles & Devil Went Down to Georgia by Charlie Daniels. I feel like they fit the spirit enough that they should be on anyone's Halloween playlist. I'll even throw it out there - does anyone here have songs they'd consider a fit for Halloween that nobody else has considered/thought of?

https://youtu.be/TICZWrb3s2Y?si=1W46wuwCoGNnrK25

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

These are both on Pandora’s Halloween playlists so at least someone agrees with you.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon
Red Right Hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
(Don’t Fear) The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
Love Potion #9 - not looking it up

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I put a Spell on You - Screamin' Jay Hawkins
I Walk on Gilded Splinters - Dr John

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Weird Science

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Ghost Riders In The Sky

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think I have conquered my phobia of actually getting in and out of helicopters

But I maintain my strongly held belief that they are an affront to nature, defying all the laws of gods and men. Fix your wings like a normal aircraft.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
There's this rare form of brain damage where breathing isn't involuntary anymore and so if you get distracted or doze off for a second you just die. That's what it's like being a helicopter.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

When something is described as sub-par, it means it is not good.
However, going by golf rules, sub-par is good!
Anything bad should be called above-par.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think I have conquered my phobia of actually getting in and out of helicopters

But I maintain my strongly held belief that they are an affront to nature, defying all the laws of gods and men. Fix your wings like a normal aircraft.

nothing on earth flies with fixed wings except airplanes. Airplanes are the weird ones.