Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

Gripweed, u get your copy of whale God yet?

yeah, a few days ago, finally. Haven't watched it yet tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Same here. I got Howl From Beyond the Fog in the same order and watched it first, an interesting kaiju movie using puppets/dolls for all the characters, and a frankly pretty great kaiju suit. It's only 35 minutes but the equally long behind the scenes was fun.

The subtitles were really terribly done though. Like unedited machine translation bad. The puppets are also expressionless and not particularly well voice acted, so it really made the story a struggle.

Hopefully they gave Whale God a better treatment.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Got this cool little Etsy printed display for Christmas

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

yeah, a few days ago, finally. Haven't watched it yet tho.

Hmm mine still hasn't shipped

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

Hmm mine still hasn't shipped

Try emailing Ron Bonk

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tim Whatley posted:

I could use one of these. I do similar stuff, like with seasonal movies I'll pull them from their usual place and put them front facing on the shelf as kinda like a "this months' selections" sort of thing. Like in December I had Die Hard, Gremlins, and Krampus in that spot, so I see those cases all month when I walk by the shelf. I like doing little things like that to give my collection the feel of what the real goal is, which is to basically have my own personal Blockbuster Video.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tim Whatley posted:

This is super cute I love it

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Oh that's adorable!! I might have to get one of those for when we have discs off the shelf instead of just putting the case on the coffee table.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Sorry should have posted the link. Yeah I wanted one to basically just have the case out for whatever I'm watching. They can do any color combo, and if you look under the review photos someone did in fact do Blockbuster colors. Pretty rad.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/950857177/now-showing-stand-for-small-media-dvds

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Tim Whatley posted:

Nice! I just blind bought the Ronin 4K the other day too, so that's a fun little coincidence!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Try emailing Ron Bonk

I did not too long ago and got a canned "the page says late December so it'll come soon!" Response. Not terribly concerned I'm sure it'll come

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Tim Whatley posted:

I could use one of these except big enough to hold a whole shelf of movies.

Saturday I sat down to watch some of the VS crap I got from my half-way sub. Got through Curse of the Screaming Dead, Rabid Grannies, Evil Judgement, and The Black Room. Screaming Dead was so abysmal you could barely call it a movie. The Black Room was alright and the others were good.

It's kinda nice getting stuff I wouldn't buy otherwise but VS really shovels so much poo poo at you it feels like a chore trying to get through everything. That and my VS shelf is absolutely packed.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Jose Oquendo posted:

The first release under VS' Cinématographe sub-label is 1980's Little Darlings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZgwXFJSQ90

It's a pretty good flick. It was discussed on Quentin Tarantino's podcast so I had to check it out earlier last year.

https://videoarchivespodcast.com/episodes/busting-little-darlings-julia

gently caress yes. Hopefully they release a bunch more stuff VA has covered because so so much of it has never had a modern release. I wanna pay too much for a shiny copy of The Last Run.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Boywhiz88 posted:

Nice! I just blind bought the Ronin 4K the other day too, so that's a fun little coincidence!

Such a fun movie, glad I got the 4k. It was crazy however, seeing all the visible cameras in one of the car chases.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

It's going to be great when all these people at the Vinegar Syndrome Facebook groups who were born in 1998 and are going insane over Little Darlings getting released actually see the movie. Because it's not cheerful by the end of that movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Try emailing Ron Bonk

I just got a shipping notice so I assume u called Ron for me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

I just got a shipping notice so I assume u called Ron for me.

Ron’s good people.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I've only seen the first hour of Little Darlings because that was where the VHS rip on Archive cuts off.

To be honest I wasn't enthralled with it. But despite it not being my cup of tea I am glad it's getting a proper release.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1742284300416938035?s=20

Anyone else hearing Taps playing!?!

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/tylerduran21/status/1742314670092923044

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

will they still sell physical games?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It sure will be interesting to see what the physical media situation is a few years from now. Just hard for me to see studios continuing to do catalogue releases when there's almost zero brick and mortar retail presence, and the boutique label prices are just gonna keep going up until there's a reckoning there as well.

I do feel a little lucky in the sense that my collection is already pretty solid at this point, I've been collecting for almost 10 years and I basically have everything I "need". The big thing I'll be paying attention to is the UHD players, because if it starts to look like the players are in danger of going extinct I'll need to prepare for that.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Time to start hoarding 4K players

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Glad I just got one...but maybe it's time for another already.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Ok here's a question that feels almost insane to even consider - has anyone in the world ever swapped the guts of a DVD changer to play blu-rays or 4k discs? There's so, so many DVD changers in the world, especially compared to Blu-ray changers. And I've never heard of a 4k compatible one.
It's so incredibly far from necessary, but that doesn't mean I can't dream!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sexmission is the new VSL release today

The daily deals, $14 each:
Dark Tower
Last Gasp
Killer's Delight
Tough Guys Don't Dance
Curfew
Red Surf
Shriek of the Mutilated
After Blue (Dirty Paradise)
Unmasking the Idol
Buried Alive
Zerograd
Mindfield
White Reindeer
Altered Innocence vol 2
Hole in the Fence

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Basebf555 posted:

It sure will be interesting to see what the physical media situation is a few years from now. Just hard for me to see studios continuing to do catalogue releases when there's almost zero brick and mortar retail presence, and the boutique label prices are just gonna keep going up until there's a reckoning there as well.

I do feel a little lucky in the sense that my collection is already pretty solid at this point, I've been collecting for almost 10 years and I basically have everything I "need". The big thing I'll be paying attention to is the UHD players, because if it starts to look like the players are in danger of going extinct I'll need to prepare for that.

Retail presence really hasn’t been a thing for a while for most releases. And with streaming becoming more frustrating and disappointing, physical media is one way to add a revenue stream.

For now, it’s a specialty market. But I could see it expanding in a couple of years when you start to see streaming services get really tight.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's certainly possible too that a reckoning of sorts could be coming in the next few years for Best Buy where maybe you see them close a good chunk of their stores and maybe you see new people in the management positions there. A new CEO with a revamped business model could decide to start selling physical media again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Goodbye the only reason I’ve bought anything from Best Buy in the last 10 years.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Casimir Radon posted:

Goodbye the only reason I’ve bought anything from Best Buy in the last 10 years.

They were dead to me since they sold me a vinyl copy of Coldplay's Viva La Vida with the wrong disc inside and I had to actively haggle for a refund.

This was a very long time ago.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Chris James 2 posted:

Sexmission is the new VSL release today

The daily deals, $14 each:
Dark Tower
Last Gasp
Killer's Delight
Tough Guys Don't Dance
Curfew
Red Surf
Shriek of the Mutilated
After Blue (Dirty Paradise)
Unmasking the Idol
Buried Alive
Zerograd
Mindfield
White Reindeer
Altered Innocence vol 2
Hole in the Fence

Any of these worth a blind buy?

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I've heard some praise for Tough Guys Don't Dance.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Umasking the Idol rules and I need VS to hit me with the sequel.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so the only reason to go to best buy these days is to check out tv, i guess? maybe appliances? i can't imagine they sell many computers, and those and their accessories take up like 1/3 of each store.

if that's the case, then they have way too much floor space and must down-size practically every location in the next few years.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

if anyone was looking for the Cult Films of Marilyn Jess book there's 2 more left on Melusine right now after being out of stock for awhile. Just snagged one of the last copies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

so the only reason to go to best buy these days is to check out tv, i guess? maybe appliances? i can't imagine they sell many computers, and those and their accessories take up like 1/3 of each store.

if that's the case, then they have way too much floor space and must down-size practically every location in the next few years.

I've been told Best Buys appliance division does really good business but I've never known anyone who bought from bestbuy. Everyone I know goes to lowes/home depot for appliances.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If they're going to be an appliance store that people just go to for a fridge or an air fryer or whatever, they probably need to close like half of their locations. You don't need a place to buy appliances on every corner, people are willing to take a little drive to buy a major appliance.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Best Buy turning into Sears light nowadays.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

If they're going to be an appliance store that people just go to for a fridge or an air fryer or whatever, they probably need to close like half of their locations. You don't need a place to buy appliances on every corner, people are willing to take a little drive to buy a major appliance.

Someone's gotta replace bed bath and beyond!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh, one thing i've done at best buy over the last few years is recycle electronics. they're good at accepting everything but batteries.

but yea, other than that, i really have no reason to go now.