Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
game definitely needs a Stop Wasting My Time xcom-type mod because there's so many weird & annoying pauses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Can anyone tell me the point of Santiel's pride?
It sounds like the answer is "it's tied to some buggy quests" but it was weird anyway

I also got some eldar torpedoes that it won't let me equip at all for any reason
Yay

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 3, 2024

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I kinda wish there were fewer levels or more of a skill tree for characters. I'm 3/4 of the way through the second archetype and I've already rejected every option I can take now.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Taear posted:

I also got some eldar torpedoes that it won't let me equip at all for any reason
Yay

I've had that bug before and saving and reloading seems to fix it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Taear posted:

Can anyone tell me the point of Santiel's pride?
It sounds like the answer is "it's tied to some buggy quests" but it was weird anyway
Based on what people have found by checking triggers with toybox it was an act 2 quest that wasn't properly cut from the game. So now all you have is saving the scouts and getting some mediocre loot. There is an underhive to explore still present in the game but the triggers to enter it appear to be impossible to activate without cheating. Once you're in the dialogue and combat difficulty indicate that you're supposed to have still been in act 2 when you got there.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I kinda wish there were fewer levels or more of a skill tree for characters. I'm 3/4 of the way through the second archetype and I've already rejected every option I can take now.

I'm just overall disappointed with how classes work.
I think if I were doing it I'd have created 4 classes - Devastator, Assault, Librarian and Scout. Devastator for heavy range, assault for any melee, scout for small arms/sniping and librarian for Psykers. Yes I know those are Space Marine designations but I really feel like I'd prefer the classes to be tied more closely to how they're being used in combat.
The way it works now just feels weird.

Nephthys posted:

I've had that bug before and saving and reloading seems to fix it.

Thank you that worked

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the only class I don't really care for is operator.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zodium posted:

the only class I don't really care for is operator.

I just do not like having to use a ton of abilities every turn, it's really tedious. I also don't like the idea of an archetype that focuses on just making everyone else have a go.
And I think it's strange that you're picking from that list of 40k staples like the Commissar but it doesn't really matter APART FROM being a Psyker

Terrible Opinions posted:

Based on what people have found by checking triggers with toybox it was an act 2 quest that wasn't properly cut from the game. So now all you have is saving the scouts and getting some mediocre loot. There is an underhive to explore still present in the game but the triggers to enter it appear to be impossible to activate without cheating. Once you're in the dialogue and combat difficulty indicate that you're supposed to have still been in act 2 when you got there.

Ah yea I saw that stuff, it makes sense.
The star being taken makes it feel like it should be really important!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i think officers are a pretty cool idea and I enjoyed playing it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah officers are good quit whining

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I think Officer is the most fun class, but the game is really not balanced about having more than one or maybe two. They’re just too good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I guess in a game like this I expect them to match tabletop games sorta and being that character in a tabletop game would be reaaaaaaaaaaally boring
I'm not saying they're bad (because they're obviously not) I just don't like that concept as a character

They far outstrip any of the second level archetypes

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Officers are fun as long as you limit yourself to one (or one + Navigator-centric Cassia/combat-centric Jae) instead of trying to abuse the class to the hilt.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My RT started as a mind-reader Psyker but then transitioned into basically what amounts to a sniper assassin with his psyker powers basically taking a complete backseat.

I thought narratively his Psyker-ness would come up more in conversation or something and it never does. I'm only knee deep in Act 2, does it ever matter more later on?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

This is a shame because when I stumbled on it I thought it was super neat and I was excited to explore it.

Taear posted:

Also he's sort of a bellend.

This is the weirdest Ulfar take. The dude is excited to fight things, sing songs about fighting things, and talk about how cool Space Wolves are. He happily tells you stories about Fenris and his chapter--things most people will never hear because they'll never see a Space Marine, let alone have a casual conversation with one. They're still Imperial to be sure, but Ulfar and Thorbald are both pretty approving of a Rogue Trader who shows some backbone and an 'understanding' of their culture. He'll even agree to disagree about the Imperial Cult, saying "He never wanted us to worship him as a God, but I don't know what his plans were for mortals, so who knows?"

Which, you know, is a bold choice to be telling one of the mortals within earshot of an Inquisitorial Acolyte and a Sister of Battle. I liked Ulfar's stuff. It was cool to see Space Marine stuff that didn't feel like it was ripped from the latest propaganda reels.

(He is a bit of a prick when you first encounter him, but in his defense, he's been locked in a cage in Comorragh for a bit. Dude probably isn't interested in entertaining the random person walking by. But he warms up pretty quick if you greet him with the "old words" and can pass a Dogmatic check.)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

My RT started as a mind-reader Psyker but then transitioned into basically what amounts to a sniper assassin with his psyker powers basically taking a complete backseat.

I thought narratively his Psyker-ness would come up more in conversation or something and it never does. I'm only knee deep in Act 2, does it ever matter more later on?

Nope
I've kinda found this with all my Psykers, your powers don't scale very well. That's not to say they're bad or anything because they aren't but most of the time I'd rather do something else.

Warmachine posted:

This is the weirdest Ulfar take.

I'm an Iconoclast and romancing the eldar.
I prefer my space marines to be more Guilliman and less Russ. He's too much of a blokey bloke and I don't like it

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 3, 2024

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

My MC is a telepath psyker built to go all in on psyker-ing, and mid-way through Act 4 they’re still holding up pretty well as a mass crowd controller.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

My MC is a telepath psyker built to go all in on psyker-ing, and mid-way through Act 4 they’re still holding up pretty well as a mass crowd controller.

Yea I guess I'm trying to use mine to hurt, but mostly now it's just a few heals.
Argenta is so good at crowd control it doesn't feel like I really NEED anything else. Also it feels buggy, it tells me an enemy is pinned to the ground and it just....isn't

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yeah when it comes to either shooting or throwing out a Psyker spell, I almost always decide to shoot. He's just so much better at bullet stuff over warp stuff, but that's on me for tooling him that way.

Sucks to know that him being a latent Psyker will never come up in the story in any meaningful way though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
To keep up with the power creep psykers need abilities and equipment that boosts their psy rating. I've seen a few things like that, a mix of stuff for Idira and for sanctioned psykers, plus there's the psyker heavy armor as well.

quote:

Psyker's Breastplate is an armor piece with 50% armour, 4 deflection and it reduces the damage of average attacks of enemies by 45%. Additionally, it provides +2 deflection and reduces the chance of triggering psychic phenomena by -10%. If any psychic phenomea or perils of the warp manifest, the wearer gains and additional +1 psy rating.

It's kind of weird that it's 2 psyker bonuses work across purpose, but on Idira you can have her triggering perils so easily that 10% doesn't matter.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 3, 2024

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Having Sanctioned Psycher RTs start with 0 psy rating so that none of your abilities scale with stats until after level 10 is certainly a decision that they made.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Taear posted:

Nope
I've kinda found this with all my Psykers, your powers don't scale very well. That's not to say they're bad or anything because they aren't but most of the time I'd rather do something else.

I'm an Iconoclast and romancing the eldar.
I prefer my space marines to be more Guilliman and less Russ. He's too much of a blokey bloke and I don't like it

Fair, I guess. I was Dogmatic but also romancing the Eldar because we call it the Archenemy for a reason and I don't see a problem working with these space elves to shoot Chaos together. They've even got some pretty neat ideas that'll make it easier to kill more Chaos! Cue literally everyone looking at me like I've got arms coming out of my ears. Meanwhile I'm holy enough that I can walk into a Chaos Space Marine ritual and belt out a prayer like an anti-magic field on warp sorcery. Truly a land of contrasts.

Same take on Ulfar really. He had neat stories and was willing to open up, and my trader found it funny that all the normies are absolutely terrified and reverent of this guy and man all he really wants to do is fight, drink mjod, and sing. A bit of perhaps unearned confidence that it's a real bold decision to disagree with my takes while within summary execution range probably informed some of my trader's takes on the Lex Imperialis (and more importantly her confidence in those takes).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

Having Sanctioned Psycher RTs start with 0 psy rating so that none of your abilities scale with stats until after level 10 is certainly a decision that they made.

I seem to recall the beta was psy rank 1 to 5, no idea why that would be changed unless they thought they needed to balance all the (+psy rating) adjustments.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Warmachine posted:

This is a shame because when I stumbled on it I thought it was super neat and I was excited to explore it.

This is the weirdest Ulfar take. The dude is excited to fight things, sing songs about fighting things, and talk about how cool Space Wolves are. He happily tells you stories about Fenris and his chapter--things most people will never hear because they'll never see a Space Marine, let alone have a casual conversation with one. They're still Imperial to be sure, but Ulfar and Thorbald are both pretty approving of a Rogue Trader who shows some backbone and an 'understanding' of their culture. He'll even agree to disagree about the Imperial Cult, saying "He never wanted us to worship him as a God, but I don't know what his plans were for mortals, so who knows?"

Which, you know, is a bold choice to be telling one of the mortals within earshot of an Inquisitorial Acolyte and a Sister of Battle. I liked Ulfar's stuff. It was cool to see Space Marine stuff that didn't feel like it was ripped from the latest propaganda reels.

(He is a bit of a prick when you first encounter him, but in his defense, he's been locked in a cage in Comorragh for a bit. Dude probably isn't interested in entertaining the random person walking by. But he warms up pretty quick if you greet him with the "old words" and can pass a Dogmatic check.)

He shouldve been a White Scar.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Being a heretic makes Ulfar and Argenta seem extremely dumb cause youre just blatantly doing warp sorcery and demanding to be worshipped as a god and they basically just say "Hey man... that's not cool...."

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Most Space Marine chapters don't worship Big E as a god and are entirely open about that. It's something only the most bellend Ecclesiarchy fanatics even complain, let alone do anything, about.

Magni fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 3, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Can I recruit Calligos and also side with the Eldar?
It seems really fuckin' dumb that his guys scream skulls for the skull throne and turn into bloodletters but he's cool with that

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

When some Space Marines (and specifically some Space Wolves) can still remember pre-Heresy stuff it makes the Imperial Creed a bit hard to swallow, I imagine.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
non-dreadnought Space Wolves would all be too young to remember that stuff. Dante is the oldest living loyalist Space Marine and he's only like 800

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Bjorn was who I was thinking of, so a dreadnought, yeah.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Bjorn was who I was thinking of, so a dreadnought, yeah.

Pretty sure he's the only person full stop (other than perpetuals and Roboute) that remembers now

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Plenty of space marines on the other side of things who probably remember though

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

The Space Wolves actually have a couple hundred Heresy-era marines now, they had a company go missing in the Warp in the 31st millennium and a bunch of them have shown back up recently.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Draxion posted:

The Space Wolves actually have a couple hundred Heresy-era marines now, they had a company go missing in the Warp in the 31st millennium and a bunch of them have shown back up recently.

One of the more interesting lore bits is that Space Marines from back then were more in touch with their humanity. In Emperor's Gift Bjorn even comments on a Fenrisian woman's beauty while a modern Marine isn't capable of understanding it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Argenta's such a great character. Just a woman who has nothing really going on in her life except the Emperor and a boltgun. And she is compensating super hard.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I find with Heinrix kitted out as a greatsword assassin I sometimes hand him the extra turn instead of Argenta, because those ancient force sword or khlaive swings are pretty dang good at clearing clumps of melee enemies.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

AndyElusive posted:

Yeah when it comes to either shooting or throwing out a Psyker spell, I almost always decide to shoot. He's just so much better at bullet stuff over warp stuff, but that's on me for tooling him that way.

Sucks to know that him being a latent Psyker will never come up in the story in any meaningful way though.

The comprehensive list of things I’ve seen that even notice that you’re a psyker:
Prologue: one line in the intro conversation, one line with Theodora, one line before the Warrant Chamber.
Ch1: When you meet Heinrix you can feel him checking you out psychically and he gives you The Nod.
Ch2: You can choose to dominate the bottomless pit and bend it to your will.
Ch3: You can foolishly decide to try and mind probe the amalgamated farseers, to hilarious result.
Ch4&5: If it ever came up, I did not notice it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Magni posted:

Most Space Marine chapters don't worship Big E as a god and are entirely open about that. It's something only the most bellend Ecclesiarchy fanatics even complain, let alone do anything about.

And Space Wolves in particular don't give a flying gently caress what the Ecclesiarchy and Inquisition think about anything.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Argenta's such a great character. Just a woman who has nothing really going on in her life except the Emperor and a boltgun. And she is compensating super hard.

All Theodora needed to do was give Argenta a shiny new relic to obsess over and everything would have worked out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'm nearing the end of act 2 and I'm starting to see the cracks in the combat/class system people are talking about a bit. I think the general class setup is fine personally, obviously that's very subjective but to me stuff like the grand strategist/operative are like a fine thematic setup, it's no different than casting faerie fire or debuffs on a wizard in a DnD game, a different class fantasy.

I think the issue is just that at no point does it feel like the enemies warrant it particularly (at the point i am anyway, suppose it could change further in but I suspect not from what I'm hearing) and you can achieve the same result by mashing them all up with Cassia or Argenta pretty sharpish. If I were to turn up the difficulty I think it'd just make me miss slightly more and maybe enemies'd have more health and hit harder? I'd fail more resistance checks in combat and stuff? I don't think that'd make it more engaging unfortunately. I was enjoying the combat and still do when they're as a result of forward momentum in the plot but I just had a string of like 5 warp journey encounters on yellow difficulty jumps and that started getting pretty old cause there's no chance of them really hurting my guys even when they do get a turn.

As an aside and standing as the sole counter to what I said above, what sort of level should I be to go the ice planet in the southwest region that seems to have a full on chaos invasion going on? I landed there and saw a chaos space marine, attacked him and then got into a fight with him, 3 more up on some stairs looking down on me, loads of cultists and a hellbrute that had like 1200 health, when it acted it one shot two of my team, figured I'd leave and come back a bit later. I don't think I'll be able to beat that currently, maybe I need to give it another go though.