Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Froghammer posted:

The Dark Krakens are surprisingly popular given that they're just a single paragraph of lore and a paint scheme from the 9th edition Marine codex

Although it is a rad paint scheme

I thought they were emperors children approaching the tentacles hornily at first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dragonshirt posted:

Well poo poo, I'm definitely buying that Deathwing box. Is there a goon-preferred eBay store or site for well-priced pre-orders?

in general, proper stores don't ship internationally, so it helps to know which country you live in first

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Dragonshirt posted:

Well poo poo, I'm definitely buying that Deathwing box. Is there a goon-preferred eBay store or site for well-priced pre-orders?

Also, is the Codex included with Deathwing Assault the same as their regular, just with a different cover? I don't want to miss any lore blurbs.

Do you have an LGS? A lot of them offer discounts off of GW prices. One in my city does like 20% off pre-orders, and another does 10% when you buy over $200. Talk to them first if possible.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Nazzadan posted:

lmao hell ya

Maybe toss in a Dark Apostle as a thematically appropriate Warlord. Or hell convert up a chaos Sister of Battle as a proxy, that would be sick.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Demilich posted:

Alright I need an 8"x10" rectangular base that is 4mm thick.

Any idea where I should look for this unorthodox base?

If you are ok with MDF you can pick these up and glue two together.

https://www.amazon.com/8-Pack-CalPa...115&sr=8-4&th=1

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

in general, proper stores don't ship internationally, so it helps to know which country you live in first

For those in the US the best deals are stores that are located in the UK, offer the 15% discount, and participate in the eBay global shipping program. That's how I got my Mortarion for 125 and my Cities of Sigmar box for 145.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Cease to Hope posted:

I am in the US.

Unfortunately, my two local FLGS don't offer discounts and sell at MSRP.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dragonshirt posted:

I am in the US.

Unfortunately, my two local FLGS don't offer discounts and sell at MSRP.

Flipside gaming is good, I got the Tyranid Army box from them for 195, and that one sold out pretty quickly. I think the DA might as well, so may need to move quick.

https://www.ebay.com/str/flipsidegaming

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so unpacking all of my stuff after moving (three years ago) and digging through all my stuff i have eh like 20k points of old (circa like 2003-2009)dark angels models and a bunch of forgeworld stuff, they still playable with the new stuff or do i have to spend like 10 brajillion dollars on new slightly taller and more attractive spacemans?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You never have to spend 10 brajillion dollars on new slightly taller and more attractive spacemans for your Dark Angels to be playable.

5 brajillion at most.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
so just new rulebook and codex then? i havent played since like 4th or 5th edition i just spent way too much money 20 something years ago

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

so just new rulebook and codex then? i havent played since like 4th or 5th edition i just spent way too much money 20 something years ago

The game has changed a great deal, mostly for the better.

Space marines may be close to unrecognizable. You might want a hand adapting some of your old units to the new datasheets, and some of the Forge World stuff may no longer be usable outside of friendly games (or 30K, which is a throwback version of 40K set in the Horus Heresy, and a separate game entirely). Space Marines are pretty much completely converted to Primaris units now, but aside from rebasing and rearranging, your old guys will generally be usable.

For the buy in, a rule book and codex are good. Buy the codex new (it has a one-time-use code for the pretty decent army builder app) but look around for a used rule book. You probably also want the Leviathan Mission Deck, which can also be bought used. Mission decks and rulebooks go for cheapish from people splitting starter boxes.

Your codex's point costs are wrong, and it doesn't have the Dark Angels units or detachment. You can get all of that info here.

Don't buy the Datacard packs unless you want a bunch of cards with unit stats on them. ymmv but it's skippable.

Download Tabletop Battles on your phone. It's a game management app that tracks score, mission, objectives, etc. It's unofficial but a free lifesaver, and a goon project to boot. There's an official 40K app that's an army builder, but it's freemium and annoying if you didn't download it six months ago. Other goons can rec good free army builders if you don't want a Warhammer Plus subscription.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Thanks!

honestly most of my FW stuff is weird fluffy stuff anyways like land speeder tempests and Damocles command rhino stuff with some of the wirder land raider varients. the titans and the thunderhawk were always pretty much oh cool 10 billion points exploding on no later than turn 2 so not that worried about it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
uh... please correct me if im wrong but did land speeders just stop existing or did they sell them all to the imperial guard?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The classic Land Speeder has been Legend'd, the only one around now is Vengeance. At least for the time being. The new hotness is the Storm Speeder.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
legends just means you can play this casually if your opponent is ok with it right? never been much of a powergamey guy i just liked fielding wierd models and armies that were def not min maxed

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, Legends is for casual play and various scenarios. They just can't be used in tournaments.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
pssht ok nbd then. aint trying to be competitive i just occasionally like to do weird poo poo like all scouts and scout bikes infiltrating or just fun stuff.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Oh huh.

Terminator Captain no longer has a thunder hammer or relic shield option.

Well, gently caress.

Wait why the gently caress does the chaplain get a shield now?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Oh huh.

Well, gently caress.

Shield of faith, but literally.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

legends just means you can play this casually if your opponent is ok with it right? never been much of a powergamey guy i just liked fielding wierd models and armies that were def not min maxed

I'm pretty sure you can use your Land Speeders as Storms anyway, it's not like it's possible to confuse them as any other unit cause it's the only one

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i am prob showing my whole old edition rear end here but didnt they have like a +5 invuln even back in the day?

on bikes with dual lighning claws was legal in 4th which was stupid. (amazing)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

An iron halo used to mean something.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Oh huh.

Well, gently caress.

The new kits don't have THSS for the captain but do have a shield for the chaplain, ehich was an option in older editions

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Eej posted:

I'm pretty sure you can use your Land Speeders as Storms anyway, it's not like it's possible to confuse them as any other unit cause it's the only one

I think GW has explicitly suggested foing thid for the older units. Land Speeders as Storm Speeders, Thunderfire guns as Servofire turrets, firstborn characters as their Primaris equivalents, etc

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
is devastating wounds like even remotely as cool as rending used to be?

sorry for asking all these dumb questions.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Don't worry about it, that's what the thread is here for. Among other things.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
While we're looking at newish things, are combi-weapons any good now? I'm still a bit disappointed they've all been mushed into a single profile that can semi-reliably cause 1 damage to infantry models, at worse accuracy for some reason, but that doesn't seem very exciting. Especially if my DG terminators can just get Rapid Fire 2 Lethal Hits bolters.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The new kits don't have THSS for the captain but do have a shield for the chaplain, ehich was an option in older editions

I'm still mad they took away the termi chaplain combiweapon option that was in the index like a week after I finished painting my converted one.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painted some fine upstanding citizens

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

is devastating wounds like even remotely as cool as rending used to be?

it's better. no saves on a 6 to wound, including invuln

rending is still around but it's fairly rare and doesn't have a keyword. i wanna say only eldar and tsons have it

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm leaning against MDF just because I'm hesitant with that stuff around moisture, and I'm a bit heavy handed with my base gluing technique using Frisoni's method. I'm wondering if I should try to print the drat thing as 4x 4"x5" segments that I can glue together.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Gross! Awesome job!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

hoiyes posted:

I'm still mad they took away the termi chaplain combiweapon option that was in the index like a week after I finished painting my converted one.

That one was a surprise considering there's a very recent plastic terminator chaplain that has one as an option.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Demilich posted:

I'm leaning against MDF just because I'm hesitant with that stuff around moisture, and I'm a bit heavy handed with my base gluing technique using Frisoni's method. I'm wondering if I should try to print the drat thing as 4x 4"x5" segments that I can glue together.

Depending on how much you need you could do the 2mm plasticard here and double up.

https://www.amazon.com/LITKO-8x10in...079874a52e&th=1

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
Cross posting from the painting thread

poop chute posted:

Finished my *checks notes* second full unit since I started in, lets see here, fall of 2022.

Three whole guys.

I'm mostly happy wtih them. I'm painting for tabletop, not display, which helps assuage some of my irritation about those goddamn fuel tanks and hoses being miserable to get all the nooks and crannies on, because they largely won't be visible at table range, but overall I'm pleased.

First picture is a bad angle, can't see the contrast yellow over white that I did for the eyes, but I love that effect. Next time my partners and I go to the nerd store, I'll pick up some AK texture paste to do like a volcanic ash thing for the base.

Next project is going to be the redemptor dread I've had sitting around for a year.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Don't worry, you can skip painting the undersides of anything and various nooks and crannies and your poo poo will still look great from every possible viewing position that matters. The only person who is gonna pick up your dudes and look at them from the bottom or inspect the far side of tubes is you and only you.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
Yeah, the conflict between "nobody's ever going to" and "but what if they do" is truly a titanic battle in my mind.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm a weirdo and I like to paint the nooks and crannies of stuff because I will notice, and the only one who really cares about my poo poo is me so I try to at least do a good job. Some corners get cut in those spots but at least there's some small attention there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Geisladisk posted:

These rule.