Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wesleywillis posted:

Great!
I look forward to the upcoming smallpox epi/pandemic and the inevitable antivaxxers who die as a result of their "natural immunity" doing its thing.

My niece worked at the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia, and while setting up a display on the city's disease history, inadvertently opened a surgeon's tool roll, and the instruments were, ah, not clean, and the accompanying literature explained that this was a smallpox vaccination kit used during the Civil War.

That call to the CDC received a hasty response. She was quarantined for a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PainterofCrap posted:

My niece worked at the Mutter Museum in Philadelphia, and while setting up a display on the city's disease history, inadvertently opened a surgeon's tool roll, and the instruments were, ah, not clean, and the accompanying literature explained that this was a smallpox vaccination kit used during the Civil War.

That call to the CDC received a hasty response. She was quarantined for a few weeks.

I'm surprised there would be any danger at all. Smallpox in the arctic that has been in permafrost the whole time, sure. But stuff that has been stored at room temperature for a hundred years? Some bacteria and fungi can make sturdy spores that wait for ideal conditions to return, but viruses are fragile.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

If you look at the wiki page for smallpox you may imagine why people may not want to take that risk

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm surprised there would be any danger at all. Smallpox in the arctic that has been in permafrost the whole time, sure. But stuff that has been stored at room temperature for a hundred years? Some bacteria and fungi can make sturdy spores that wait for ideal conditions to return, but viruses are fragile.

The best study we have on viability of smallpox scabs showed them to be culturable and presumed infectious after thirteen years in a laboratory cupboard. That’s not when they decayed, just when the experimenters ran out of specimens.

Variola virus has not so far been cultured from historical artefacts, though, and not for lack of trying.

PainterofCrap posted:

It turns out that they were all vaccinia virus, the good one, the one that you want to get, not variola virus, causative agent of smallpox.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

There's a confirmed story about an accident with military testing of smallpox 13 miles upwind of some coastal fishing village in Russia. Half the city got smallpox several died and they had to burn the city to the ground. That's the broad strokes anyways.

The only good news about smallpox is that it doesn't have the ability to mutate hardly at all which is the only reason we were able to eliminate it and we're still struggling with polio half a century later and covid has 9 named strains a year

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hadlock posted:

There's a confirmed story about an accident with military testing of smallpox 13 miles upwind of some coastal fishing village in Russia. Half the city got smallpox several died and they had to burn the city to the ground. That's the broad strokes anyways.

The only good news about smallpox is that it doesn't have the ability to mutate hardly at all which is the only reason we were able to eliminate it and we're still struggling with polio half a century later and covid has 9 named strains a year
When was this?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you're looking for heartwarming stories about infection you should check this out

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Sea-Spray#:~:text=Operation%20Sea%2DSpray%20was%20a,be%20to%20a%20bioweapon%20attack.

Sorry for no url bbcode I'm on my phone.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When was this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Aral_smallpox_incident

I guess it was 15km upwind (9.3 miles) not 13 miles

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

are the rumors that the TikTok digger got shut down true?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hadlock posted:

Smallpox had a number of things going for it as an eradication candidate.

It really helped that it caused distinctive skin lesions, it didn’t transmit much before those lesions appeared, immunity was longlasting, and animals didn’t get the disease.

The political will to eradicate it was also drastically buoyed by the fact that some strains of smallpox killed two in five people.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

are the rumors that the TikTok digger got shut down true?

Yes. Also apparently she’s a trumper and is trying to get immigration services called on one of her neighbors.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

The Dave posted:

Yes. Also apparently she’s a trumper and is trying to get immigration services called on one of her neighbors.

ironic, i thought they hated tunnels

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hadlock posted:

Polio is almost gone, the remaining pocket is more about the political situation up in the Afghan/Pakistan borderlands than the biology. And how the live vaccine very sporadically reverts to a harmful variant, though I think the newest revisions have fixed that.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I wonder how long it's been since somebody got leprosy from an armadillo. leprosy rates in armadillos is a startling piece of information: estimated to be as high as 20%

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Actually, to refine that a touch: "Wild" Polio is limited to a couple of provinces in Afghaniatan and Pakistan, but there have been some (low thousands?) cases of the vaccine-derived variant the last couple of years. They think it's under control thanks to the new vaccine variant, though.

I check the polio eradication efforts website every year or so - I remain hopeful that we'll see Polio being the second disease we officially eradicate within a decade or two.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ComradePyro posted:

I wonder how long it's been since somebody got leprosy from an armadillo. leprosy rates in armadillos is a startling piece of information: estimated to be as high as 20%

Nineteen in twenty people are born immune to leprosy.

You have to be unlucky to even be vulnerable to it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Computer viking posted:

Polio is almost gone, the remaining pocket is more about the political situation up in the Afghan/Pakistan borderlands than the biology.

Which we did not help at all by sending in CIA agents to take DNA samples looking for Bin Laden under the guise of delivering vaccinations.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jul/11/cia-fake-vaccinations-osama-bin-ladens-dna

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Phanatic posted:

Which we did not help at all by sending in CIA agents to take DNA samples looking for Bin Laden under the guise of delivering vaccinations.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jul/11/cia-fake-vaccinations-osama-bin-ladens-dna

Yeah that was dumb.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

only if you give a poo poo about humans as humans, and the health of communities

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
and the reputation of the international healthcare community

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Computer viking posted:

Polio is almost gone, the remaining pocket is more about the political situation up in the Afghan/Pakistan borderlands than the biology. And how the live vaccine very sporadically reverts to a harmful variant, though I think the newest revisions have fixed that.

There was confirmed community spread of polio in New York State in 2022 and they're still detecting it in waste water in 2023. Apparently an immigrant from xyz (not Pakistan/Afghanistan) has it and was a infections carrier for years in the states

Israel also had a case in 2022

The NY case is super concerning because it went undetected for years and there's likely a cluster in the area when one positive case is detected

https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/polio/docs/2023-07-31_advisory.pdf

We are way off topic

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Technically, wastewater surveillance is a paragon of crappy construction.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hadlock posted:

We are way off topic

Crappy Civics

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Crappy Civics

Please don't bring my car into this.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Why are you posting OCD triggers?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

It's impossible to know where the roof will peak

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jusupov posted:

Unlike that builder, who clearly peaked in high school.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Unlike that builder, who clearly peaked in high school.

This is generous.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Close only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades, and house framing

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Nice to see that Lewis Black bit about weathermen IRL: "If you were a roofer, and you built a roof and it was two feet off... you'd still be in prison"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jusupov posted:

....even with presumably prebuilt trusses.
Or are those on-site built?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Darchangel posted:

....even with presumably prebuilt trusses.
Or are those on-site built?

They look like manufactured pieces, but not exactly symmetrical for whatever reason, and few were installed backwards.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Came across this solution in Copenhagen (ok.. Christiania, but still)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Letmebefrank posted:

That's what you do when the ground is too rocky or ground water is too high to dig a basement.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Letmebefrank posted:

From that link:

quote:

Glass house in Freetown Christiania, one of the many idiosyncratic constructions exemplifying modern "architecture without architects".

Look, I hate Gehry and Le Corbusier as much as the next guy but perhaps this isn't the answer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nitrox posted:

They look like manufactured pieces, but not exactly symmetrical for whatever reason, and few were installed backwards.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s impossible to tell where the showerhead will end up.