Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
There's also one that's called like, "It's torture time, princess" and from what I can gather it's about a demon king who keeps a princess in a dungeon and tortures her by eating delicious food in front of her and not giving her any unless she asks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

January 6 Survivor posted:

"lmao an isekai that will be only onsen episodes?" tier
-the one that has onsen in the title

but therma romae already exists

(thermae roma?)

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Gripweed posted:

There's also one that's called like, "It's torture time, princess" and from what I can gather it's about a demon king who keeps a princess in a dungeon and tortures her by eating delicious food in front of her and not giving her any unless she asks.

I read some of it and liked it for what it was but tbqh I don't see how they could stretch 30 seconds long but funny chapters into 24 minutes long episodes that still remain funny.

Doc Hawkins posted:

but therma romae already exists

(thermae roma?)

thermae romae is actually a reverse isekai since it's about someone from a faraway mystical land (ancient rome) coming to our world

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

scoff! "reverse isekai" is as nonsensical a term as "reverse harem"!!

e: if someone changes worlds, that's an isekai, period. thermae romae is just a Fantasy-to-Mundane or "FtM" isekai

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 06:11 on Jan 3, 2024

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’ll die in the hill that “Isekai” has attained a specific meaning that makes it a unique genre separate from fantasy stories that may or may not have someone hop through a wardrobe from earth. It’s about themes and poo poo. New Genres are born by accretion from older ones. Deal with it. Like trying to call Doom an adventure game because Myst is also first-person.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gripweed posted:

i only read a few chapters before getting bored but yeah from what i could tell the entire joke is 'we're gonna torture her' but the torture is poo poo like 'man this apple pie is soooo good i wish i could share it with you but you won't tell me the forces of good troop composition' and then she just does it

January 6 Survivor posted:

I read some of it and liked it for what it was but tbqh I don't see how they could stretch 30 seconds long but funny chapters into 24 minutes long episodes that still remain funny.

same way all dumbass 4koma animes do it, a mix of show original, using half a volume in a single episode, and good old fashion bad pacing

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Every episode a bottle episode in the dungeon but each season it's a new dungeon
E: it's just trying to sell dungeons to kids who then go to the store and just keep begging their parents for more dungeon interiors

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
MtF MtF isekai

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

"FtM" isekai

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

bedpan posted:

"FtM" isekai

This is just Full Metal Alchemist

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

War and Pieces posted:

This is just Full Metal Alchemist

There's like four characters this can apply to

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

There's like four characters this can apply to

(you the reader)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I go to bed. I wake up. Isekai.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

being on the internet is an isekai

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

SardonicTyrant posted:

hm, this depends, when you wake up, is it the previous day? the past is another country.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Doc Hawkins posted:

hm, this depends, when you wake up, is it the previous day? the past is another country.
As far as I know I've never woken up in the past.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Looking forward to watching Dungeon Meshi, which isn't isekai.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Kitfox88 posted:

same way all dumbass 4koma animes do it, a mix of show original, using half a volume in a single episode, and good old fashion bad pacing
sleepy princess was pretty much the best iteration of this sort of series

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My SO reads a bunch of Isekai because he loves torturing himself and there is a concerning amount of Isekai where the main characters buy or own slaves

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

My SO reads a bunch of Isekai because he loves torturing himself and there is a concerning amount of Isekai where the main characters buy or own slaves

and eating orcs

bedpan has issued a correction as of 00:44 on Jan 4, 2024

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SardonicTyrant posted:

Young man goes to school, gets hit by a truck. Isekai! Many such cases!

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

hit by a truck and woke up as a SF4 arcade cabinet

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

MtF MtF isekai

I like the isekai where this guy becomes The Cutest Girl and their stoic handsome friend is in denial about his attraction to her.

Googled and it's called "Fantasy Bishoujo Juniku Ojisan"

IIRC the protagonist wasn't exactly trans on Earth, but ends up embracing becoming a woman after isekai-ing

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
No thanks, I'll just read hosed by my best friend

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

“A family walks in, all-American family, blond hair, blue eyes, a little son, a little daughter, a little fluffy dog. And the talent agent goes, ‘So what kind of act do you do?’ The father starts taking his shirt and jacket off. The mother starts taking her blouse off. Pretty soon, all of them are completely naked including the dog, who takes his leash off.”

He then describes a Hieronymus Bosch—like tableau of torture. Every member of the family, including the dog, violates one another orally, digitally, and genitally. There are descriptions of foreskin and Popeye-like forearms. The scene is stomach-churning, and that’s the point.

“The talent agent goes, ‘Hmm, that’s an interesting act,'” Gottfried says. “Which I know is kind of an understatement, because you’re saying, ‘If you have any sense of human decency, just say, “Why didn’t the talent agent just stop them in the beginning? Why didn’t he stop them the minute he saw the father unzipping his pants and saying, ‘This is totally wrong. Someone call the cops and I’ll sneak out. Something horrible is happening.'” This is a family who are raping their own children and performing bestiality. Why, oh why, is he allowing this to happen?’

“But that’s a whole other story,” he deadpanned. “So they’re covered with piss and poo poo and blood and cum and sweat, ooh, that sweat. And the talent agent says, ‘What do you call yourselves?’ And the father sticks his chest out and goes, ‘Isekai!'”

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

No thanks, I'll just read hosed by my best friend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Think_I_Turned_My_Childhood_Friend_into_a_Girl

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

War and Pieces posted:

“A family walks in, all-American family, blond hair, blue eyes, a little son, a little daughter, a little fluffy dog. And the talent agent goes, ‘So what kind of act do you do?’ The father starts taking his shirt and jacket off. The mother starts taking her blouse off. Pretty soon, all of them are completely naked including the dog, who takes his leash off.”

He then describes a Hieronymus Bosch—like tableau of torture. Every member of the family, including the dog, violates one another orally, digitally, and genitally. There are descriptions of foreskin and Popeye-like forearms. The scene is stomach-churning, and that’s the point.

“The talent agent goes, ‘Hmm, that’s an interesting act,'” Gottfried says. “Which I know is kind of an understatement, because you’re saying, ‘If you have any sense of human decency, just say, “Why didn’t the talent agent just stop them in the beginning? Why didn’t he stop them the minute he saw the father unzipping his pants and saying, ‘This is totally wrong. Someone call the cops and I’ll sneak out. Something horrible is happening.'” This is a family who are raping their own children and performing bestiality. Why, oh why, is he allowing this to happen?’

“But that’s a whole other story,” he deadpanned. “So they’re covered with piss and poo poo and blood and cum and sweat, ooh, that sweat. And the talent agent says, ‘What do you call yourselves?’ And the father sticks his chest out and goes, ‘Isekai!'”

is redo of healer an isekei

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

turn off the TV posted:

is redo of healer an isekei

spiritually, but not literally.

there are like fifty manga with a vaguely similar premise of there being an evil party of adventurers that kicks out the boring MC who has powers like that of a FFXIV support character, and shocker it turns out that healing people is good and his new group is super cool and make his old party jealous, and I have no idea what it stems from. are these people getting kicked out of their free companies in FFXIV all the time or are they just ripping off something popular?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Whirling posted:

spiritually, but not literally.

there are like fifty manga with a vaguely similar premise of there being an evil party of adventurers that kicks out the boring MC who has powers like that of a FFXIV support character, and shocker it turns out that healing people is good and his new group is super cool and make his old party jealous, and I have no idea what it stems from. are these people getting kicked out of their free companies in FFXIV all the time or are they just ripping off something popular?

the premise of redo of healer is that he gets super powers and goes back in time to rape and/or murder everyone he didn't like so not quite the same thing

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

imo it's very easy to understand why the story premise of "all of the popular girls and boys used to bully me and call me a loser because they couldn't understand how secretly incredibly smart & powerful i am and now i've done absolutely nothing to better myself and a bunch of hot girls want to suck my dick" is popular among anime fans

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

we gotta send that writer to the island that one dude who didn't know WW2 ended was living on and just leave him there

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if it were ffxiv it’d be the ranger getting bullied by the rest of the group not the healer

Augus has issued a correction as of 05:44 on Jan 4, 2024

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

nevermind that island is inhabited. gotta find a deserted island to drop him off on.

Augus posted:

if it were ffxiv it’d be the ranged dps getting bullied by the rest of the group not the healer

playing a bard made me so disoriented. dancer is a little braindead but it was more interesting to me.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Augus posted:

if it were ffxiv it’d be the ranger getting bullied by the rest of the group not the healer

they would still be kicking out the healer because almost all of these are adaptations of lovely soyetsu novels written by children who think that being able to instantly cure cancer or create food out of thin air isn't obviously good and useful so the evil party members are all cartoonishly stupid

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Reading isekai about people getting chucked into otome games is giving me a headache because it seems to skip the interesting parts of romance (the characters getting to know each other and develop as people as they affirm their budding attraction for each other) in favor of one of the partners knowing everything about who she wants to date already. What is the point then? I don't want to watch someone do the "romantic" equivalent of playing a ROM hack for a game they already have beaten again and again that lets you date a fan favorite character. This is a great confidence booster for me since I want to be a writer and surely I can do better than this, but it also feels absolutely awful to read

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the one thing i like about the fired from the party genre is how usually, the party has perfectly good reasons to ditch the dead weight. their crime is being mean about it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Dungeon Meshi is perfect and it's only going to get better.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I went back and watched episode 2 of Dark Gathering and was way more into it after bouncing off episode 1 months ago - and then watched it up to ep 8 in one sitting

ghosts! they’re fun!

and dungeon meishi anime ep 1: also fun!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Undead Unluck too horny 4 episodes in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Undead Unluck is kind of horny but not enough to be ruinous. It's a fun show imo.