Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

TfM lets players sandbag in perpetuity but the person who is winning should really cut the knot and just finish it off. That table will probably get mad at me because I will force endgame even when I’m losing. Get your engine rolling faster next time.

TfM derivative Ark Nova fixes this by having your score advance the endgame condition making it unavoidable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Needs more Pokemon Wingspan, not going to lie, I'd buy the poo poo out of that too.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Frozen Peach posted:

Needs more Pokemon Wingspan, not going to lie, I'd buy the poo poo out of that too.

There's a very good Pokemon Wingspan reskin on Tabletop Simulator. Every card and game piece is rethemed, it's a really impressive bit of work. Playing it was kind of a mess because I had to try and translate the Wingspan manual to Pokemon for a table of first-time players (including myself) but a little more reading ahead of time would have taken care of that issue.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

BinaryDoubts posted:

There's a very good Pokemon Wingspan reskin on Tabletop Simulator. Every card and game piece is rethemed, it's a really impressive bit of work. Playing it was kind of a mess because I had to try and translate the Wingspan manual to Pokemon for a table of first-time players (including myself) but a little more reading ahead of time would have taken care of that issue.

Yeah, I'm aware. I'm weird and really despise playing board games on TTS.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

if all it takes for you to rebuy a mid game are slapped-on jpgs of pokemon starters, korea has got you

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I do want that Point Salad.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Frozen Peach posted:

I also hate playing on tts, and then there's the lovely mods being transphobic problem at one point that made me not want to play on there ever again.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Frozen Peach posted:

I'm sure that TTS was designed as a joke by people who had never heard of designer board games and thought it would be funny to build a frustrating way to play checkers and backgammon. The joke had enough of a release and enough modability that boardgame nerds who had never heard of Vassal decided to bash it into something half-way playable.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm sure that TTS was designed as a joke by people who had never heard of designer board games and thought it would be funny to build a frustrating way to play checkers and backgammon. The joke had enough of a release and enough modability that boardgame nerds who had never heard of Vassal decided to bash it into something half-way playable.

That's exactly what happened.

silvergoose posted:

I also hate playing on tts, and then there's the lovely mods being transphobic problem at one point that made me not want to play on there ever again.

That all happened to a designer friend of mine and it sucks so bad.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I prefer VASSAL because it doesn't really add anything to have an actual 3d interface on this stuff.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm sure that TTS was designed as a joke by people who had never heard of designer board games and thought it would be funny to build a frustrating way to play checkers and backgammon.

This is why one of the core features is a 'flip table' button.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mr. Squishy posted:

We used to play 18xx on it before the Golden Era of 18xx.games :(

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The explosion in usage of TTS also largely corresponded with the start of Covid lockdowns.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

RabidWeasel posted:

Space Alert: A recorded message shouts at you while you and your friends (in real time) try to prevent your spaceship from being turned into space dust by secretly placing action cards on a timing track. Then after the recording you "play back" your actions in turn with "hilarious" consequences when it turns out nobody remembered to actually raise the shields.

The magic here is getting good enough to win the harder difficulties with yellow or red enemies while also managing to look out the window.

This requires a bit of practice, but it's very satisfying when your crew transitions from chaotic mess to well oiled machine.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

armorer posted:

The explosion in usage of TTS also largely corresponded with the start of Covid lockdowns.

My Covid lockdown group started with VASSAL, and I continue to be mad that TTS got enough uptake at large that we ended up moving to it as our default “not BGA” platform

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dobble is a goddamn home run for the theming. It's a deck of 55 circular cards designed such that each card has a bunch of different symbols on it, but any two cards will only have one symbol in common. There's a bunch of different games to play with the central mechanism of "spot the one matching thing in this pair of cards". Real good when the main draw of your IP is "here's a bunch of different and recognizable critters".

Frozen Peach posted:

I don't think that's weird at all. I'm a big fan of BoardGameArena, which is pretty much just browser-based versions of a bunch of different games with automatic rules enforcement and progression and such. As much as I enjoy the physicality of games it's the least important part to be faithful to in an online setting.

SettingSun posted:

TfM lets players sandbag in perpetuity but the person who is winning should really cut the knot and just finish it off. That table will probably get mad at me because I will force endgame even when I’m losing. Get your engine rolling faster next time.

TfM derivative Ark Nova fixes this by having your score advance the endgame condition making it unavoidable.

"When your score tracks meet" is a pretty nice race condition that more games need to try. I liked it in Rajas of the Ganges but I'm sure it's even older than that.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

master has given dobble a sawk

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Panzeh posted:

I prefer VASSAL because it doesn't really add anything to have an actual 3d interface on this stuff.

See also Cyberboard as well.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Weird became shorthand for me removing too many words about TTS and being a huge bummer.

To not be a huge bummer, Convention season is kicking itself off bright and early this year again with Geekway Mini. I'm so excited. I've been working so hard to be prepped for Geekway's first convention of the year. Everything is coming into place and the last pieces are being put together. I'm so ready to have some time to relax and just play board games for the whole weekend. I really hope everything runs smoothly and that happens. I just want to play board games.

The last board game I played before hte holiday was Concordia, which I won for the first time ever. The Venus expansion adding the extra Venus cards is great. I went so hard into that and it paid off.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Glazius posted:

Dobble is a goddamn home run for the theming. It's a deck of 55 circular cards designed such that each card has a bunch of different symbols on it, but any two cards will only have one symbol in common. There's a bunch of different games to play with the central mechanism of "spot the one matching thing in this pair of cards". Real good when the main draw of your IP is "here's a bunch of different and recognizable critters".

I played a lot of Harry Potter dobble during Christmas with my niece. I barely know half the characters, so all the time she is calling the names when she finds a match, and I am "white owl", "boy with black hair", "man with weird hat".

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Panzeh posted:

I've never gotten vassal to run successfully.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Always love this threads guttural kneejerk reaction to someone posting about Terraforming Mars :allears:

"OH DID YOU SAY TFM? THE WORST GAME?" :allears:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Infinitum posted:

Always love this threads guttural kneejerk reaction to someone posting about Terraforming Mars :allears:

"OH DID YOU SAY TFM? THE WORST GAME?" :allears:

the person who initially spurred this most recent discussion about terraforming mars said the game they observed took seven hours, and that it was now on their do not play list. your post is more of a guttural kneejerk reaction than anyone else’s :allears:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
luv 2 defend bad games from white supremacists

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

luv 2 defend bad games from white supremacists

An actually necessary grammar correction for once: Terraforming Mars is a bad game by white supremacists. If you say you're defending the bad game from white supremacists, you're saying that we're white supremacists.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

panko posted:

the person who initially spurred this most recent discussion about terraforming mars said the game they observed took seven hours, and that it was now on their do not play list. your post is more of a guttural kneejerk reaction than anyone else’s :allears:

To be entirely fair, I've already had the game in my personal categorisation of "I'll play this, but only if it's the only option" for at least a year now but it feels like every time I see it played (which is a lot, since the rest of my group loves it still) it takes longer and longer and my preference recently is shorter games, not longer ones

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Is Tikal worth getting in 2024? Kinda love the look of the newer Super Meeple -version.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Been playing some Turning Machine on BGA and you really do need to ramp up the difficulty or you just solve it round 1 which feels a bit unsatisfying.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

High Tension Wire posted:

Is Tikal worth getting in 2024? Kinda love the look of the newer Super Meeple -version.

I’m going to say yes. I don’t have it, but I have Super Meeple Mexica and the production is always a delight to play and see.

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

I don't think I've ever played Terraforming Mars game with four players that lasted less than five hours. Usually, it takes about six or seven hours, with a little break for food. The longest session did last ten hours, playing with three newbies with one of them having a bad case of analysis paralysis. The group did have a positive reaction to the game though, and we have played since, although never on weekdays for obvious reasons.

Oh yeah, and we did use the prelude expansion meant to shorten the game time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I’ve never played a game of TfM that ever lasted more than 3 hours, at any player count, including 5 players. Comparing playtimes similar to TI is preposterous to me. I simply cannot wrap my head around it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Aramoro posted:

Been playing some Turning Machine on BGA and you really do need to ramp up the difficulty or you just solve it round 1 which feels a bit unsatisfying.

Yeah, I would say that Classic Easy and Normal are pretty straightforward. Standard Hard is where is starts getting a little complicated, but the gulf in difficulty between Classic and Extreme is so big that Standard Hard is usually where we have been staying for our plays. Changing the number of Verifiers can add some interesting wrinkles too; you'd think fewer verifiers would be easier, and it can be because they have to eliminate greater swaths, but it also means it's harder to logic your way around them.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Frozen Peach posted:

Wingspan, but dragons? Hell yeah. I'm here for it!

To be honest, depending on how they theme this I might actually consider getting it. The pics I've seen indicating that they're using both western and eastern dragons is a very good sign IMO!
Don't get me wrong, I get the criticism for it ITT. I've only played Wingspan once and although there wasn't a LOT there mechanics-wise, there was enough there to keep everyone engaged - and it's got a great theme too, which I can appreciate. (It's also the only game that has gone for 2+hrs that my partner actively wants to replay, so that helps too, I guess? :v: Normally she burns out completely, by then. No idea how it took us so long, though. 4/5 players being new to the game probably didn't help, with one being new to board games as a whole)

Also, regarding the TfM talk... I mean, I haven't played it thus far *crosses self*, but I went to a board game night not long after the game came out, which I recall very well. There were enough people there to split into two groups - one playing TfM and the others playing a whole pile of other games. The TfMers started the game very eager, but by the time I left around six hours later, they were still going and most of them were developing thousand yard stares.

They were all experienced board gamers too - no first timers, plus they like long games. So yeah, that put it firmly in my "don't play unless I absolutely have to" pile :v: The other couple of times I've heard of friends playing it have all gone the same way, too. I've got nothing against long games (hell, I played a 7hr company-scale game of Bolt Action on the weekend, which was great!) but drat, I haven't seen the will to live sapped out of people as quickly as that night

Countzer
May 27, 2022

SettingSun posted:

I’ve never played a game of TfM that ever lasted more than 3 hours, at any player count, including 5 players. Comparing playtimes similar to TI is preposterous to me. I simply cannot wrap my head around it.

In my friend group we have someone that gets really into the engine-building and stacking of effects, to the point where I've seen him make +20 or +30 money income or something similarly huge in other resources... but never really go for objectives so he never drives the game forward.

I imagine that's what it takes to have TfM drag that long. Too much focus on the building of the engine, too little time pursuing objectives and actually forcing the end of the game. That, and people that take 15 minutes planning out their turn only to have their plan disrupted by someone so they have to redo it. I've played with that kind of person too.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Not to be a total Lacerda Stan but if you’re playing a Mars-themed longer game, why are you wasting time on TfM when On Mars is available?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Unquestionably the game can take that long. The game is happy to let you. Nothing forces anyone to terraform and I think that is a big criticism of the game (out of many). I guess if everyone is ok with the game being a marathon I can only gawk from a distance. In any game I'm playing though I'm advancing parameters as quickly and as often as possible.

Honestly megacorps spinning their wheels in the name of massive profit is oddly realistic.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Not to be a total Lacerda Stan but if you’re playing a Mars-themed longer game, why are you wasting time on TfM when On Mars is available?
On Mars is very good. But it doesn't hit the same thematic notes and vibe TfM does. They can exist concurrently!

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 4, 2024

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Man, mars really is a cursed theme huh.

e: First Martians too. A font of bad games. Maybe the Age of Steam map is fun?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I was a fan of mission: red planet as a baby gamer, prior to playing el grande & condottiere

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Major Isoor posted:

I've only played Wingspan once and although there wasn't a LOT there mechanics-wise, there was enough there to keep everyone engaged - and it's got a great theme too, which I can appreciate.

Wingspan is a superb game to play exactly one time, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

panko posted:

I was a fan of mission: red planet as a baby gamer, prior to playing el grande & condottiere

Yeah it's fine, not my favorite but I still pull m:rp out every now and then