Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
“it can’t be that stupid; you must be explaining it wrong” but from the judge at your bench trial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Didnt someone spam tiny transactions from the tornado mixer just to get the recipient accounts put on the related accounts blacklist

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Tunicate posted:

Didnt someone spam tiny transactions from the tornado mixer just to get the recipient accounts put on the related accounts blacklist

effective altruism

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

so if the sender is just some anonymous nobody (for example it's a scammer cashing out their ill gotten gains and the money came directly from a mixer address) do you have to return the money? turn it over to the irs? write "idk" on the form and go on with your life?

that's literally how it works for banks

edit: that is: reject, return, report

FAUXTON posted:

hahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha loving lol they have to file CTRs on their own and if they don't it's a big ol felony

yuuuuuuup

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 3, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

actually I don't think most banks would return blind, they'd call the sending institution first and (1) try to figure out wtf happened and (2) make sure the sender isn't some sanctioned party or obvious criminal/terrorist enterprise

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

ymgve posted:

some bitcoin billionaire just got the chance to felonize anyone with a public address

or more realistically, anyone with a pile of illiquid shitcoins

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

kw0134 posted:

if you received it out of the blue, you can probably hand it over to an attorney to hold in trust while she goes to the various agencies and ask them how to handle it so you don't get hit with a felony AND becoming embroiled in larger felonies after the fact. if you got sent a large pile of money for no adequately explained reason, there's not really a "holder in due course/good-faith receipient" exception to handling hot funds, someone's gonna assume that you did something to deserve that money and make you an accomplice to whatever crime generated those funds in the first place.

but it might be the case that the buttcoins aren't proceeds of cr - hahahahaha no never mind

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
one thing to note - the law wasn’t amended to say $10k worth of crypto requires reporting. all digital asset transfers require reporting according to the new statute.

it’s $10k in cash or any digital asset.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Since every satoshi is guaranteed to be worth billions in the near future, the rule should be that bitcoin transactions of any amount should be reported.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Paladinus posted:

Since every satoshi is guaranteed to be worth billions in the near future, the rule should be that bitcoin transactions of any amount should be reported.

that’s what the law as amended says. i don’t know if they updated the treasury regs or forms yet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i just found reporting on the treasury regs which kicked the actual reporting requirements back to 2025. :smith:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

hahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha loving lol they have to file CTRs on their own and if they don't it's a big ol felony
lol yup. 2024 is gonna be amazing

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
lol these guys are literal children if they think "haha ill just do two 5k transactions, how has no one involved in financial crime ever thought of this, im so smart to get out of reporting requirements this way"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EricBauman posted:

lol these guys are literal children if they think "haha ill just do two 5k transactions, how has no one involved in financial crime ever thought of this, im so smart to get out of reporting requirements this way"

worst attempt at structuring since a man insulated his stairs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
load bearing transactions

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

infernal machines posted:

load bearing transactions laying crime bare

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

EricBauman posted:

truly sophisticated crypto traders know that you actually split it into 4 transactions of 2499.99 each

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
For some inexplicable reason, they are remaking that awful Bitcoin cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDLOBzhZIB0

Worse yet, Bitcoin is not even pissed on by homeless people in this one. They've also removed the original trying to hide the truth. Wouldn't have happened if the cartoon was on blockchain.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Magic Underwear posted:

truly sophisticated crypto traders know that you actually split it into 4 transactions of 2499.99 each
when I worked for banks they had extensive aml/ofac training and there's some interesting stuff in there like how people doing structuring [or other fraudulent transactions] don't use enough repeat digits or zeros and ones in their amounts because $8,923.76 looks more "organic" to a human than something like $8,886.10 but computers are very good at catching those happening more often than they should

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

qirex posted:

when I worked for banks they had extensive aml/ofac training and there's some interesting stuff in there like how people doing structuring [or other fraudulent transactions] don't use enough repeat digits or zeros and ones in their amounts because $8,923.76 looks more "organic" to a human than something like $8,886.10 but computers are very good at catching those happening more often than they should

Benthams law right? like they think every number should be evenly distributed when it actually isn’t?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does it have anything to do with a small merchant / service provider typically having a combinatorially tiny space of possible prices for their work?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Isentropy posted:

Benthams law right? like they think every number should be evenly distributed when it actually isn’t?

Benford's, but yes. 1 is surprisingly common as the leading digit in many real-life data sets...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

speaking of financial crimes we’ve cut out the middleman and bring the fraud straight to you

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/01/crypto-hedge-fund-ceo-may-not-exist-probe-finds-no-record-of-identity/

the ceo of a “crypto hedge fund” worth a billion dollars literally does not exist

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Paladinus posted:

For some inexplicable reason, they are remaking that awful Bitcoin cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDLOBzhZIB0

Worse yet, Bitcoin is not even pissed on by homeless people in this one. They've also removed the original trying to hide the truth. Wouldn't have happened if the cartoon was on blockchain.

if only someone had made an NFT of the original no one could remake it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

speaking of financial crimes we’ve cut out the middleman and bring the fraud straight to you

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/01/crypto-hedge-fund-ceo-may-not-exist-probe-finds-no-record-of-identity/

the ceo of a “crypto hedge fund” worth a billion dollars literally does not exist

lol woz is such a dupe

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

lol woz is such a dupe
he literally broke his brain

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Luigi Thirty posted:

was he on the blockchain? no? then he does not exist, quod proctor sum est, checkmate fiatailures

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
arsecoin

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

https://x.com/molly0xFFF/status/1742679001418645965?s=20

sec found UST and LUNA to be securities

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Insecurities, more like. Or dangers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

oh for fucks sake which one is UST again is that tether are there even lols here

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

...! posted:

arsecoin

wow rude

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

FAUXTON posted:

oh for fucks sake which one is UST again is that tether are there even lols here

I think that UDST. UST is Terra coin I think, the "algorithmic stablecoin" that was supposed to stay pegged to a dollar through math and magical thinking. The one died in a spectacularly hilarious fashion in exactly the way everyone predicted it would.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mrmcd posted:

I think that UDST. UST is Terra coin I think, the "algorithmic stablecoin" that was supposed to stay pegged to a dollar through math and magical thinking. The one died in a spectacularly hilarious fashion in exactly the way everyone predicted it would.

couldn't handle being pegged by lady liberty

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Weatherman posted:

was he on the blockchain? no? then he does not exist, quod proctor sum est, checkmate fiatailures
si vis pauperum, para bitcoin

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

qirex posted:

lol woz is such a dupe

woz's brain is literally mush, and he believes his own hagiography

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

infernal machines posted:

load bearing transactions

are they UL certified? UL80085-1337: load bearing Blockchain transactions has a pretty strict standard.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Sweevo posted:

woz's brain is literally mush, and he believes his own hagiography

He's also always been a credulous doofus, see also the ways/times Worse Steve ripped him off over the years.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/01/crypto-hedge-fund-ceo-may-not-exist-probe-finds-no-record-of-identity

wowee, lookit that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JAnon posted:

wowee, lookit that!

we did, three hours ago