Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

mycot posted:

Something like Genndy Clone Wars but with Metroid would be cool.

On that same note, I always think of something like Samurai Jack. Like a series where half the episode is just Samus wandering silently through some weird alien environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Darth Nat posted:

On that same note, I always think of something like Samurai Jack. Like a series where half the episode is just Samus wandering silently through some weird alien environment.

Primal but the dinosaur is a Metroid.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

Castlevania The Adventure otoh has a phenomenal first stage track and otherwise nothing redeeming about it.
Truer words were never spoken about this game.

Every time I convince myself that I liked it okay but just couldn't beat it back then, I try again and remember that, oh wait, I just liked one piece of music.

See also: Crystal Palace from the sequel.

Edit:

cheetah7071 posted:

Seems like a bad idea even if you could get it to work
I think it's an awesome idea for a movie made in 1988 or so, but she's literally the most famous woman protagonist in videogames now.

Metroid would be really easy to do as a movie. I don't know why everybody overthinks it. Cold open with the origin story of her colony being destroyed by Space Pirates and her parents dying, the flashback is a nightmare she was having in her gunship on the way to Zebes, she's entirely alone there, and every obstacle or so, we flash back to her childhood being trained by the Chozo, then her time with the Federation, each of which will be related to whatever hurdle she has to jump alone in the present on Zebes.

Sort of a cross between an early episode of LOST, the Out Of Gas episode of Firefly, and Kill Bill.

Action-adventure with horror elements and a character study about a stoic space bounty hunter. Two hours max, in and out. Don't waste anyone's time.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 3, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think in order to get the same level of reaction these days you would have to have Samus be trans.

So, yeah, they should do that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's been my headcanon since I transitioned, so gently caress yeah. Do that.

But it's a Japanese property, making it just slightly less likely than the "would never loving happen" it already is here in the US, so I really don't see that happening in my lifetime.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Nintendo of all companies have lots of characters that play along gender lines (some handled better than others).

Samus might actually one of them, if you take into account one of the early Metroid devs talking about his, ah, rather fetishistic headcanons about her.

Heck, Japan in general has a completely different attitude toward gender themes than the US which is often reflected in their media.

Although yeah I dunno if that kinda topic would ever be touched in a Metroid movie intended for a mainstream global audience.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Icon Of Sin posted:

That’s kind of where the whole series started though :v:

See, like, I never really understood the comparison though. Like maybe the bit where the crew explores the derelict alien ship and Kane gets facehugged, but the entire rest of the movie is set on a spaceship where a space monster murders helpless civilians.

Metroid is about a badass armored warrior exploring a cave system and killing local wildlife before terminating the space pirate operations with extreme prejudice.

Like yeah I know the developers have outright said it’s an influence, but I just don’t see any of it in the finished product. The developers of Super Mario Bros could have made the same statement and it would have made as much sense. It’s like if Steven Spielberg said “Caddyshack was a huge influence on my filmmaking” before releasing Schindler’s List.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 3, 2024

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Xenomrph posted:

See, like, I never really understood the comparison though. Like maybe the bit where the crew explores the derelict alien ship and Kane gets facehugged, but the entire rest of the movie is set on a spaceship where a space monster murders helpless civilians.

Metroid is about a badass armored warrior exploring a cave system and killing local wildlife before terminating the space pirate operations with extreme prejudice.

Like yeah I know the developers have outright said it’s an influence, but I just don’t see any of it in the finished product. It’s like if Steven Spielberg said “Caddyshack was a huge influence on my filmmaking” before releasing Schindler’s List.

I think the influence was less setting and plot and simply more "Hey those Aliens are cool. We should make our own versions of that."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

I think the influence was less setting and plot and simply more "Hey those Aliens are cool. We should make our own versions of that."

I think it was mostly atmosphere. The opening scenes of Alien formed a pretty strong backbone for the tone of the original Metroid, as did the idea of a super monster that everyone wanted as a bioweapon.

There's also the "The tough as nails protagonist is a woman" thing, which was uncommon enough at the time that it was probably one of the things they went "And let's throw that in while we're at it", finishing with the timed escape sequence ending, similar to how Ripley had to book it at the end of Alien.

Alien and Metroid went in their own directions as they continued (although ironically enough, Alien introduced the Ultimate Badass side of things the same year Metroid was released) but there's enough in common to see the influence.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Just give me 1.5 hours of Dread cutscenes where Samus only speaks Chozo, Angry and Gun

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Simply Simon posted:

Just give me 1.5 hours of Dread cutscenes where Samus only speaks Chozo, Angry and Gun

A film that satisfyingly leads up to this classic news story

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Grace Baiting posted:

A film that satisfyingly leads up to this classic news story

Make the soundtrack to the Queen’s area be a repeating Chozo signal, equivalent to the “THIS IS NOT A PLACE HONOR” warning signs and we’ve got a good start.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

LividLiquid posted:

That's been my headcanon since I transitioned, so gently caress yeah. Do that.

✊😎

https://nitter.net/quahn06/status/1533164656386535424

(Just gonna ignore your second paragraph there for all our sakes :shobon:)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
So is the accepted interpretation of the end of Dread that Quiet Robe was somehow able to be revived by the X parasite but not "taken over" so his actions were his own and not some never before seen actions of the X? I mean, he speaks and such which we don't see X parasite copies do, and overall actions don't seem like sometime an X parasite would do, so I guess just *handwave* he is special and wasn't just a copy?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

He’s such a chill dude that it calmed down the X.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Levitate posted:

So is the accepted interpretation of the end of Dread that Quiet Robe was somehow able to be revived by the X parasite but not "taken over" so his actions were his own and not some never before seen actions of the X? I mean, he speaks and such which we don't see X parasite copies do, and overall actions don't seem like sometime an X parasite would do, so I guess just *handwave* he is special and wasn't just a copy?

The two warring interpretations of the ending are "Quiet Robe stayed himself and helped Samus" and "the X are a primitive mix of cunning and dumb, so they were trying to weaken the Metroid (and didn't realize they were saving her from an exploding planet)." We know that they understand using traps, because of the Ice-X and SA-X in Fusion, so one lying in wait in her ship for her isn't outside what we should expect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Einander posted:

The two warring interpretations of the ending are "Quiet Robe stayed himself and helped Samus" and "the X are a primitive mix of cunning and dumb, so they were trying to weaken the Metroid (and didn't realize they were saving her from an exploding planet)." We know that they understand using traps, because of the Ice-X and SA-X in Fusion, so one lying in wait in her ship for her isn't outside what we should expect.

How is the latter even a thing? He does the pose and everything

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

ImpAtom posted:

Mostly attempts to figure out an alternative for what happened that doesn't involve willpower/unexplained magic, is my guess? :shrug: I've seen it theorized before, but I do think it's less credible as an explanation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Einander posted:

Mostly attempts to figure out an alternative for what happened that doesn't involve willpower/unexplained magic, is my guess? :shrug: I've seen it theorized before, but I do think it's less credible as an explanation.

I demand an explanation for the game where my protagonist got so incredibly angry her suit transformed into a scarier suit!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

I think the idea is less that the X is too stupid to know what it's doing and more the X always does the most optimal choice for survival (like killing metroids), and since Samus is the last Metroid in existence the best thing it can do is make her less Metroid-y. As for the pose we already know X-infected repeat the last thing their hosts did, like Quiet Robe X and Raven Beak X repeating their last words.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 3, 2024

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's gonna turn out that Samus is both part Metroid AND part X in the next game to make the bloodwork even more absurd.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ChaseSP posted:

It's gonna turn out that Samus is both part Metroid AND part X in the next game to make the bloodwork even more absurd.

Samus has two different suits with different sets of powerups and switches between them at specific event points, hire me nintendo

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ImpAtom posted:

I demand an explanation for the game where my protagonist got so incredibly angry her suit transformed into a scarier suit!

DNA, duh :colbert:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

Maybe the next game will have Samus touch something sharp and all the extra DNA will fly out of her like Sonics rings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like Samus has to be at least part X now because she's lost the weakness to ice thing.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

wasn't that just the varia suit

e: gravity suit, gently caress

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levitate posted:

wasn't that just the varia suit

e: gravity suit, gently caress

No, that protected her but she couldn't use ice beams in Fusion because it would gently caress up her Metroidness, which is why she had Ice Missiles instead. She got the Ice Beam back after fusing with the SA-X at the end because it solved that problem.

That said Ice Missile is back in Dread so maybe it was a temporary fix or something.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ah right yeah I was going off Dread being the latest in the timeline and it's been a lonnnnng time since I played Fusion

e: regarding Fusion and Dread, I feel like the Shinespark puzzles weren't that bad in Dread...the one in Burnenia was probably the worst but I feel like Fusion had some terrible ones

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At the end of Metroid Fusion Samus has to fight an Omega Metroid, and SA-X either fuses with Samus to help her kill it (as I interpreted it) or it just gives its energy to Samus to help her beat it like the Baby Metroid did in Super Metroid. Either way, it gives her the ability to use the Ice Beam again.

Either way, it seems to indicate X-Parasites as capable of...something. Maybe they have intelligent thought if they live long enough. Maybe something of the host is left. Maybe Chozo-discipline can increase the odds of the host shining through the infection or giving the X enough thought to act intelligently. Raven Beak X sure seemed more angry than your average X monster, which could be some of his hate bleeding through.

Xenomrph posted:

Live-action Metroid movie, is it possible, or even a good idea?

It's absolutely doable, but I guess the real question is what kind of story people wanted to tell. Trying to replicate the plot of Alien or Aliens would probably work, but doing a more horror-focused movie would mess with people's expectations of a Nintendo movie, because that wouldn't be very kid-friendly. Samus also isn't just some random person who steps up, she's a trained warrior, so you'd probably have a harder time adding a subplot with other characters to round out the movie.

I feel like also when Metroid does get its plot in, it likes being both mournful and sentimental, which is pretty weird for something evoking Alien. Maybe you shouldn't kill off all of these creatures who seemingly pose a threat to all life in the galaxy? I don't know how you get that across.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Metroid movie should just be like The Raid or Dredd except with aliens.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a series seems more interesting. monster of the week style but with overarching plot

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
and flashbacks to her time as a federation soldier, with all the melodrama and hurt feelings and stuff :q:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Levitate posted:

ah right yeah I was going off Dread being the latest in the timeline and it's been a lonnnnng time since I played Fusion

e: regarding Fusion and Dread, I feel like the Shinespark puzzles weren't that bad in Dread...the one in Burnenia was probably the worst but I feel like Fusion had some terrible ones

Also half the endgame items in Fusion are just power bomb tanks. If you 100% the game you end up with 74 power bombs. SEVENTY FOUR! I didn't realise how bad it was until I did a randomiser run

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

At the end of Metroid Fusion Samus has to fight an Omega Metroid, and SA-X either fuses with Samus to help her kill it (as I interpreted it) or it just gives its energy to Samus to help her beat it like the Baby Metroid did in Super Metroid. Either way, it gives her the ability to use the Ice Beam again.

Either way, it seems to indicate X-Parasites as capable of...something. Maybe they have intelligent thought if they live long enough. Maybe something of the host is left. Maybe Chozo-discipline can increase the odds of the host shining through the infection or giving the X enough thought to act intelligently. Raven Beak X sure seemed more angry than your average X monster, which could be some of his hate bleeding through.

When Quiet Robe first gets absorbed by the X he can still talk and operate computers, so the X parasite is clearly able to access some of his memories and personality, but he immediately uses it to try to kill Samus so the X still seems to be in the driver's seat. I think the end sequence is supposed to reflect some level of gestalt intelligence rather than Quiet Beak wresting control back altogether; had the planet not been about to explode it presumably would have kept fighting, but like the SA-X at the end of Fusion when it realized it was hosed it became willing to throw in with Samus, so Quiet Beak got to show through more.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Do you guys think Metroid Prime 4 Samus will be Realistic Samus (MP1) or Anime Samus (MP2 and MP3)

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Do you guys think Metroid Prime 4 Samus will be Realistic Samus (MP1) or Anime Samus (MP2 and MP3)

Prime 1 Samus has proven to be an exception in how Nintendo wants Samus to be designed. Her look got cemented with Zero Mission and I doubt it's gonna change any time soon.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

the holy poopacy posted:

When Quiet Robe first gets absorbed by the X he can still talk and operate computers, so the X parasite is clearly able to access some of his memories and personality, but he immediately uses it to try to kill Samus so the X still seems to be in the driver's seat. I think the end sequence is supposed to reflect some level of gestalt intelligence rather than Quiet Beak wresting control back altogether; had the planet not been about to explode it presumably would have kept fighting, but like the SA-X at the end of Fusion when it realized it was hosed it became willing to throw in with Samus, so Quiet Beak got to show through more.

I wondered if re-starting the EMMI's had more to do with Samus needing their abilities/get up to snuff to fight Raven Beak and it wasn't so much trying to kill her as providing the tools she would need

:shrug:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Realistic Anime Samus

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Bring back the powerhouse Samus from the early 90s.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

That said Ice Missile is back in Dread so maybe it was a temporary fix or something.
It could just be that the Chozo didn't happen to leave an Ice Beam on this planet.

But I'm betting it's that the devs forgot she was cured.