Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Where would Zay Flowers slot in if he was in this draft class rather than last years class? WR4/5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I figured Odunze might have the best hands, but was hoping it might be some lesser prospect. Years back, 2014 I think, there was a detailed chart of stats on the consensus top ten WRs in the draft from some website that doesn't seem to exist anymore. Drop rate was one of the things that really stood out. Landry was somehow under 1% and Jordan Matthews was near 9%. I love that kind of break down with Yards of target, yards per route run, drop rate, and all that other good poo poo.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
MHJ sitting out and Rome being an absolute dawg should make for some interesting takes in the lead up to the draft. I can’t see Rome jumping him if only because of Reggie Williams.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

MHJ sitting out and Rome being an absolute dawg should make for some interesting takes in the lead up to the draft. I can’t see Rome jumping him if only because of Reggie Williams.

I think it's more that MHJ is one of the best all around prospects in the last decade than teams being discouraged that someone from the same school busted 20 years ago.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think it's more that MHJ is one of the best all around prospects in the last decade than teams being discouraged that someone from the same school busted 20 years ago.

You’re assuming nfl draft rooms don’t operate on vibes

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kevino07 posted:

Where would Zay Flowers slot in if he was in this draft class rather than last years class? WR4/5?

I don’t know about the draft but Zay’s usage has been kind of weird this season, so many poorly executed screens and stuff around the line of scrimmage. So his numbers are probably not representative of his full potential

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

You’re assuming nfl draft rooms don’t operate on vibes

I think NFL GMs have been waiting for MHJ for a year.

I don't like crowning people early but MHJ is insane. He's big, his acceleration is great for getting to the second level, and his body control lets him catch anything. That just spells premier Z receiver. McCord is kinda crappy and he had to reel in catches all year. Ryan Day offenses kind of show off WRs route trees too considering how long they take to develop. I think it makes his tape more visually appealing.

Odunze's game is kind of identical to MHJ's which is why he's also going to go high. I think he'll have slightly worse measurables but who knows until the combine happens. Their offenses were completely different though. Grubb and DeBoer were all about sending Polk, Odunze, and McMillan at safeties to make them make decisions while having a leak out running back for Penix's safety valve. It was taking advantage of Penix's deep ball accuracy in all or nothing plays, kind of like Tennessee's offense last year. The difference was with Odunze running corner routes to give Penix options. This is a good deep dive on their offense: https://www.si.com/college/washington/football/diving-into-washingtons-offensive-scheme

I have no idea what GMs value but I imagine when two guys are pretty similar they usually give the nod to the one that looks slightly bigger and has NFL bloodlines. I'm sure in 10 years we'll look back on NFL decision making and be like wtf for that. I think as always prospects bust or boom based on fit and prowess and the NFL draft isn't a science.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Kevino07 posted:

6ish?

MHJ
Odunze
Coleman
Nabers
Worthy?

Doltos posted:

I don't like crowning people early but MHJ is insane. He's big, his acceleration is great for getting to the second level, and his body control lets him catch anything. That just spells premier Z receiver. McCord is kinda crappy and he had to reel in catches all year. Ryan Day offenses kind of show off WRs route trees too considering how long they take to develop. I think it makes his tape more visually appealing.

Odunze's game is kind of identical to MHJ's which is why he's also going to go high. I think he'll have slightly worse measurables but who knows until the combine happens. Their offenses were completely different though. Grubb and DeBoer were all about sending Polk, Odunze, and McMillan at safeties to make them make decisions while having a leak out running back for Penix's safety valve. It was taking advantage of Penix's deep ball accuracy in all or nothing plays, kind of like Tennessee's offense last year. The difference was with Odunze running corner routes to give Penix options. This is a good deep dive on their offense: https://www.si.com/college/washington/football/diving-into-washingtons-offensive-scheme

I have no idea what GMs value but I imagine when two guys are pretty similar they usually give the nod to the one that looks slightly bigger and has NFL bloodlines. I'm sure in 10 years we'll look back on NFL decision making and be like wtf for that. I think as always prospects bust or boom based on fit and prowess and the NFL draft isn't a science.

Yeah, the Washington offense is explicitly aimed at loving with modem nickel coverages and fits by abusing corner and flag routes against perpendicular cuts to not only force choices but guarantee the carry rules to pass guys in a pattern get screwed up. It’s the logical zag to what the “4 verts or bust” type of offense that Briles and now like Heupel run but can still borrow a few concepts like Choice as internal constraint plays. If they have the receivers to run it, your only real hope is to sit in man and go blow for blow right now because the receivers are too experienced to run zone against it. GMs aren’t going to love projecting some of the cross hash calls but it’s not like watching Hendon Hooker tape where you just throw like 80% of it out as things that don’t happen in the NFL

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Doltos posted:

That’s kinda what I mean. MHJ is the real deal but he’s been that way for years now, he’s inevitable. Rome is the hot new guy (who probably should have been up there the whole time but that’s another story) so the narratives are building. See also Williams and Maye.

Also Marvin Harrison bloodlines? I hope the lines aren’t near a car wash!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Is Keon Coleman going to work in the NFL? It's a lot of contested catches.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Is Keon Coleman going to work in the NFL? It's a lot of contested catches.

his combine is going to be insane, he's a huge fast dude who routinely makes circus catches. i think he'll be pretty solid as a pro, especially if he develops any real route running. a lot of the contested catches are bc he was the go-to security blanket this year. he'd get wide open a good bit too but he was the guy whenever they'd hit the redzone or need someone to come down with a duck thrown into coverage

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I honestly think this draft is gonna go QB, QB, QB. With the Cardinals taking MHJ.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

well the top 18 picks are set and that's a lot of QB needy teams for maybe 4? QBs that could go in that range

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

MHJ is going to drop to the Chargers and I’m going to be livid.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

No Butt Stuff posted:

There's no chance in hell

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

Nah it'll be either AZ at latest or someone trading into AZs spot

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Yeah, but lots of teams needing a QB, in a talented QB class, with lots of first round grades... Would not surprise me if 1-4 were QBs with AZ trading out.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Abugadu posted:

Yeah, but lots of teams needing a QB, in a talented QB class, with lots of first round grades... Would not surprise me if 1-4 were QBs with AZ trading out.

I'd never stop laughing

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Nah it'll be either AZ at latest or someone trading into AZs spot

I mean Chargers are in a good place to trade into the Cards spot, and then the Cards can trade further down for more value if they want.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Gully Foyle posted:

I mean Chargers are in a good place to trade into the Cards spot, and then the Cards can trade further down for more value if they want.

i mean in a WR class this loaded it'd be insane to let the Cards bamboozle you into trading up for one.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Abugadu posted:

There aren't 3 QBs worth taking in the top 5. Definitely not 4.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

LiquidFriend posted:

Worth taking? God no.

That will be taken because the many QB-needy teams are going to panic and start bidding against each other? Possibly.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

LiquidFriend posted:

Caleb and Jayden are worth taking in the top 5.

That’s right, I’m starting the “Jayden Daniels is better than Drake Maye” train. Daniels can make throws under pressure. Choo choo mother heckers!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

That’s right, I’m starting the “Jayden Daniels is better than Drake Maye” train. Daniels can make throws under pressure. Choo choo mother heckers!

I know we’ve had our differences but when you’re right you’re right and right now you’re very right.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I know we’ve had our differences but when you’re right you’re right and right now you’re very right.

Add me to this train

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A lot changes before the draft but it wouldn't shock me to see New England bring in someone to work with Mac or Zappe and going MHJ, but I don't think there's anyway he goes past Arizona.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Abugadu posted:

Worth taking? God no.

That will be taken because the many QB-needy teams are going to panic and start bidding against each other? Possibly.
I don't know. Every once in awhile teams get it right like they did with Levis.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

BlindSite posted:

A lot changes before the draft but it wouldn't shock me to see New England bring in someone to work with Mac or Zappe and going MHJ, but I don't think there's anyway he goes past Arizona.

I would be hugely shocked. Mac Jones and Zappe were both absolute disasters this year. Mac Jones was 31st in passer rating, and Zappe is like 10 points below that. Combined on the season they would have tied for the most interceptions for any QB, with Sam Howell.

You could say Fields was in the same place last year - same number of games started, similar yards and INT totals (though his passer rating was 8 points higher), but he also had over 1100 yards on the ground.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Let's go further. Jayden QB1!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

My draft evaluation currently consists of:
Jayden and Williams will get killed because NFL refs won't penalize players for hitting black QBs late
That being said, Jayden absolutely torched Bama so he's probably good until he gets hurt (which is how Bama won)
Drake maye is a white guy at UNC, I already had a Mitch trubisky at home
Guess that leaves Penix

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BlindSite posted:

Mac will be gone. I'm personally hoping for MHJ, sign a vet and draft a QB day 2 with the other day 2 pick having to be a tackle. Zappe can compete with Brissett or Gardner or whomever and a rookie

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

If we're wishcasting wacky moves (since the Pats might actually do something weird for the first time in decades), let's trade down a few and get Odunze, then pair him with Penix later

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm starting to lean more into Caleb still being the #1. It's whether or not you want an upgraded version of Jalen Hurts with way better field awareness and arm talent or Lamar Jackson with a bit stronger of an arm and better top end speed maybe.

Caleb will do those stupid plays like those INTs against Notre Dame where he tries to get a throw off. A few of them were ducks but he got off some strong throws while getting sacked. He reads plays well, he keeps plays alive that are pretty well covered, and the arm talent is just superb. He can make any throw like Rodgers on the move. Also really good at reading defenses during the RPO and has the ability to pick up quick yards like Hurts. Feels like all his INTs came from hero ball. Also USC's defense was absolute garbage. I know a lot of QBs this year dealt with mediocre defenses but his was completely awful. Constantly playing from behind. They gave up 28 to loving Arizona State.

Daniels is insane in the run game. Absolutely destroyed the Gators this year on the ground. Does the RPO more than Caleb I think, I'd need to see stats on it but it feels like he's does it a lot and is really good at it. Faster than everyone else on the field and just outruns people. I think it'll translate into the NFL because he's got great field vision while doing it. His play recognition isn't the greatest. He'll look off open windows a lot and go for a checkdown. His deep ball is fine but it's just a little bit inaccurate and WRs do have to stop on his passes sometimes. It's nit picky but I could see NFL DBs catching up to some of those. He's team is also superb blockers up and down the board. They all bought into the blocking scheme and sprung some big runs for him. I don't think he'll need it but it certainly helps. He's also traditionally sized and less of a stocky ogre like Caleb. I don't think he's overly thin. He can take shots and fight out of sacks even though he's not physically huge. The height also helps him in the run game again because of the top end speed stuff.

There's also something to be said that Jayden had Nabers and Thomas Jr. while Caleb had deep ball guys in Rice and Washington. I don't think Caleb's guys were slouches but Jayden's were just way better in every way. It let him have a pretty lethal spread RPO while Lincoln Riley's offense was still in its typical mesh concepts. Brian Kelly's offense, with elite talent, is an insane stats getting offense.

I'd still take Jayden first but I'd understand if teams go with Caleb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
MPJ playing himself out of the first round in this game? He hasnt been good

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

MPJ playing himself out of the first round in this game? He hasnt been good

He’s probably hurt. He came up limping after being sacked earlier in the game.

I don’t know that he was a first rounder in the first place though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

people rating Penix as a first rounder based on one game now casting him deep out of the first round based on watching a second game

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s probably hurt. He came up limping after being sacked earlier in the game.

I don’t know that he was a first rounder in the first place though.

to be fair, 'he's hurt' is an absolutely massive knock against him

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

Mac will be gone. I'm personally hoping for MHJ, sign a vet and draft a QB day 2 with the other day 2 pick having to be a tackle. Zappe can compete with Brissett or Gardner or whomever and a rookie

I want Maye or MHJ

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

PENIX is at the lowest absolutely a late first rounder if healthy. That’s a big if.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I would be happy with a horse Penix