Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I've never heard gang used in a professional setting :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

I've never heard gang used in a professional setting :shrug:

I suppose you don't these days and it does feel like a very 18th century term.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

bessantj posted:

Yeah you're right he is a shockingly childish man on times. He once punched the side of the van because someone sat in the seat he wanted to sit in.

Our main driver once turned to me and said "you know, I'd love to kill Boris Johnson" in the most matter of fact way.

It does feel that way sometimes.

Thanks. I think we'll be the third of fourth gang he'll have been kicked out of.

Sounds like the lad has issues and is happy to spread the joy in everything he does.

Swap Gove & Boris for Tories sitting in Parliament then you know my feelings regarding them... probably a few Labour ones as well but i wouldn't want mission creap. :guillotine:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They seem to assume that anyone expressing mild dislke is in fact seething and scromiting themselves into insanity over the existence of a director who is at best passable and at worst overuses slowmo.

Snyder is neither a wünderkind nor an antichrist. He's just a weird little man who makes action movies.

why do you think I was talking about you?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Can we have a thread moratorium on loving dog poo poo vacuous action movies and the people who make them? It is so, so tedious (and even more off topic than the usual shite we talk about in here), and I can smell the cheesy stink of the posters getting all het up on either side of the debate from here (no it is not me thank you, I am wearing JOOP! which my mum bought me)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Have something political instead:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/03/farnborough-airports-biggest-critic-silenced-as-expansion-plans-continue

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Perfect Element posted:

Can we have a thread moratorium on loving dog poo poo vacuous action movies and the people who make them? It is so, so tedious (and even more off topic than the usual shite we talk about in here), and I can smell the cheesy stink of the posters getting all het up on either side of the debate from here (no it is not me thank you, I am wearing JOOP! which my mum bought me)

No, we may not. In fact now I'm going to watch all the Zach Snyder movies since Sucker Punch so I can have an actual opinion on them to share with you in this thread

OK, no, I'm not actually going to do that. I'm not watching 5 movies just to be annoying, considering I didn't even watch 5 movies last year. That's time I could spend watching yesterday & today's All Japan shows, & today's DDT show & probably at least 1 other wrestling show.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

Sure, I agree. Now we’ve agreed not to discuss dog shot action movies, how cool is 300? :clint:

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
You're telling me a dog shot 300?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

el dingo posted:

Dogs are pretty good at bowling

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

el dingo posted:

that many?

must have been using an automastiff

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Yeah, this thread should definitely move away from tedious and inane topics that have been done to death and that just highlight how broken brained we all are by modern consumer culture.

It should instead focus on topics that are more dignified and meaningful, that don't get people all worked up at each-other.

Like crisp flavours:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1742497982467944666

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

She's right, they're good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That's cheeky as gently caress.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I had traditional haggis for breakfast in Scotland once, and can report that it follows the great British tradition of stuffing minced unmentionable animal parts into a tube with enough salt/herbs/spices that it tastes really good. Lava bread* can get hosed tho.

* It's thin, papery seaweed, a bit like Nori I guess, but served hot, wet, and inedible to non-whelk lifeforms.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Umbra Dubium posted:

Voyager was the worst because they kept finding ways to get back home (Warp Ten!), discovering a problem (it turns you into a horny salamander?), fixing the problem, and then ignoring that they have a way to get home and a bugfix ready to go for the problems it causes.

Haha yeah and coming across all these civilizations that had "ultra-warp" technology or whatever but never saying "Hey maybe you could hook us up with that poo poo?". The whole "Warp Ten" episode where they're like "Oh Tom just travelled through the entire universe instantaneously and now the shuttle's logs have 180 bajillion gigaquads of new data", then never being mentioned again, was one of the most egregious and definitely the worst episode of the whole run, and that's even WITHOUT Janeway and Paris turning into salamanders and loving, which I'll stress is a thing that actually happened in Voyager.

Another one was "Blink of an eye" where they discovered a planet that was under the influence of extreme gravity from a black hole (I think) and it meant that time for them passed at several years per hour of time for voyager... and so they watched this whole planet go from like, pre-history, oral storytelling tradition, to developing antimatter cannons and tech to rival Voyager's. Presumably if they'd stuck around for another few days they could have waited until that civilization developed trans-warp technology etc., but hey-ho.

Overall Voyager was really good though, you just have to be able to ignore a few plot holes like the above and pretend they were some sort of fever dream of one of the crew when they came down with space-dysentery.

Star Trek, Voyager included, is at its best when it does the more small-stakes "character study" episodes where it's mainly about one character's particular emotional struggle with some aspect of their situation or broader existence, IMO.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 3, 2024

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Well, to post something that’s at least marginally on topic, I’m coming to the end of an ordeal which shattered what little faith I still had in NHS dentistry. Back in September I began experiencing massive, skull-splitting pain in one of my teeth. I tried to contact my NHS dentist, and nobody picked up. I left a message, nobody called back. I called multiple times over two days before finally getting through, only to be told the dentist had no appointments before the end of October! They referred me to their sister clinic who did see me that day, but they couldn’t see anything wrong. Ignored everything I had to say about the source of my pain, gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way.

Cue two long months of increasingly worse pain and run around from the dentists I saw until finally someone at the hospital said I’d probably need a wisdom tooth extraction. But I’d need a referral from my dentist (who now couldn’t see me until the end of November), and then I’d join a waiting list that was five months long!

At that point I broke down. I did some DIY dentistry on myself with a lockpick physically forcing my teeth apart, then began looking for a private option. Private dentist arranged a wisdom tooth extraction and also diagnosed a root canal I needed (which I later checked and saw was visible on the first x-ray I got back in September that the first dentist missed). The two procedures together along with other appointments are going to end up costing me about £2000. More if I wanted a crown on the root canalled tooth.

I’m incredibly fortunate that I can afford an expense like that and not have it change my life, but Jesus, what if I couldn’t? What about all the people who can’t? People kill themselves over toothaches, I don’t think I could have lasted five months.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Threshold review
https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v832.php

e: Ohh I this is ooold, some aughts era internet slurs.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 3, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sad news to start 2024 for enjoyers of spas built with charity cash

Edit - lol

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 3, 2024

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OzyMandrill posted:

Lava bread* can get hosed tho.

* It's thin, papery seaweed, a bit like Nori I guess, but served hot, wet, and inedible to non-whelk lifeforms.

When I was a kid I would eat that stuff cold. Just buy it in the market and walk around eating it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:laugh:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I just got a leaflet through the door from the local Tory MP.
Looks like election season has begun!

And me without my elephant gun!

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Glad you're getting the tooth sorted. Has it stopped hurting?

I had a big hole in a wisdom tooth a few years ago, which eventually got infected. It was excruciating. My boss sent me home (to the dentist) because I was nearly crying at work. God, it's so depressing what's happened to the NHS. Teeth are important! :(

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^ No you see those are luxury bones, you don't need those except for eating and interacting with the rest of society without them going 'where the hell are your teeth?'

My favourite thing about all of that was the family saying it was supposed to be for his rehab, and then it coming out that they didn't submit the plans until after he died.

Lt. Danger posted:

why do you think I was talking about you?
I don't know if I'm missing something, but you and I both used plurals, and I wasn't really eulogising about Snyder, so at no point did I think you were talking about me. I thought you were being weird and assuming an unusual amount of anger that simply isn't there.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 3, 2024

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Edit: Nevermind missed context

Edit 2
I assume he means he was critisising the weirdo who's first instinct on seeing a snyder movie being critisied was to weaponise a child's death?

The zach snyder discourse has been pretty sane otherwise honestly

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 3, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mr Phillby posted:

Unfortunately its not possible to have a normal discussion about zach snyder films because as soon as anyone expresses anything negative about them you get his fans coming in making jokes about how bad they can poo poo up the thread then this weird passive agressive calm hittler poo poo.

People are allowed to not like a movie its okay every time some says 'i watched suckerpunch and i hated it' you can just ignore it

This is the second time in a row you've made this post. Although I guess the first time you didn't literally call people hitler about the movies you don't like.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

'Wins' is doing some heavy lifting here, as opposed to the company offloading unsellable stock onto some hapless lady.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This is the second time in a row you've made this post. Although I guess the first time you didn't literally call people hitler about the movies you don't like.
Yeah i misunderstood the context on that one i thought he was calling everyone who posted about zach snyder negatively as being frothing mad? I used calm hittler as a shorthand for that kind of passive agreessive 'youre all totally mad but i am calm and normal about things' lol sorry

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

^^ No you see those are luxury bones, you don't need those except for eating and interacting with the rest of society without them going 'where the hell are your teeth?'

Why is it the greatest champions of Britain always turn out to dismantle the NHS? You!
[addressing Tory, pointing to forums poster Reveilled]
Where the gently caress are his teeth?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Mr Phillby posted:

Yeah i misunderstood the context on that one i thought he was calling everyone who posted about zach snyder negatively as being frothing mad? I used calm hittler as a shorthand for that kind of passive agreessive 'youre all totally mad but i am calm and normal about things' lol sorry

Anyway. Who’s watching The Darts tonight?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
my twitter-addled brain can't handle the country talking about "luke the nuke"

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hmm this planned tube strike in London seems pretty spicy, monday to thursday next week

Details in article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67868906

I'm hoping our TFL worker friends get some more money and whatnot, things have been hosed up re: inflation for decades

Handy chart with details (assuming strike goes ahead):

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Anyway. Who’s watching The Darts tonight?
Been reciting the lyrics to Chase the Sun all day.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gorn Myson posted:

Been reciting the lyrics to Chase the Sun all day.

It’s a banger

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

killerwhat posted:

Glad you're getting the tooth sorted. Has it stopped hurting?

I had a big hole in a wisdom tooth a few years ago, which eventually got infected. It was excruciating. My boss sent me home (to the dentist) because I was nearly crying at work. God, it's so depressing what's happened to the NHS. Teeth are important! :(

Yeah the pain mostly went away after I castawayed myself, still there but managable with painkillers, then the extraction did most of the rest of the job. The tooth needing root canal was just uncomfortable, but based on the x-ray they did today it had a huge infection underneath it that if left untreated could have seriously damaged one of the nerves in my jaw. One more treatment to go and my mouth should be mostly fixed!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Haha yeah and coming across all these civilizations that had "ultra-warp" technology or whatever but never saying "Hey maybe you could hook us up with that poo poo?". The whole "Warp Ten" episode where they're like "Oh Tom just travelled through the entire universe instantaneously and now the shuttle's logs have 180 bajillion gigaquads of new data", then never being mentioned again, was one of the most egregious and definitely the worst episode of the whole run, and that's even WITHOUT Janeway and Paris turning into salamanders and loving, which I'll stress is a thing that actually happened in Voyager.

Another one was "Blink of an eye" where they discovered a planet that was under the influence of extreme gravity from a black hole (I think) and it meant that time for them passed at several years per hour of time for voyager... and so they watched this whole planet go from like, pre-history, oral storytelling tradition, to developing antimatter cannons and tech to rival Voyager's. Presumably if they'd stuck around for another few days they could have waited until that civilization developed trans-warp technology etc., but hey-ho.

Overall Voyager was really good though, you just have to be able to ignore a few plot holes like the above and pretend they were some sort of fever dream of one of the crew when they came down with space-dysentery.

Star Trek, Voyager included, is at its best when it does the more small-stakes "character study" episodes where it's mainly about one character's particular emotional struggle with some aspect of their situation or broader existence, IMO.

In Blink of an Eye, their presence was tearing the planet apart both culturally and literally. The real egregious one was that time they got a quantum slipstream thing, and it worked for a short distance but then they had to stop because they miscalibrated slightly, and they immediately threw it into storage never to be used again.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Read through the last few pages, disappointed not to see any fans of the Tripods.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
What, the Idirans?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

biglads posted:

Read through the last few pages, disappointed not to see any fans of the Tripods.

Love them. This is mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Reveilled posted:

I’m incredibly fortunate that I can afford an expense like that and not have it change my life, but Jesus, what if I couldn’t? What about all the people who can’t? People kill themselves over toothaches, I don’t think I could have lasted five months.

In 2021 I started a new part-time job, and within a couple of days had broken a tooth adjacent to a front tooth (unrelated to the job - I bit awkwardly on a cashew).
No NHS dentist available (I now have one but was on the waiting list several years). Ended up forking out about £1600 for a bridge - essential as the front tooth next to the gap was beginning to distort & become loose (let alone aesthetics) which was almost 4 months of pay. Fortunately, I have savings and a credit card.

This is the problem - if you need something out of the usual, simply not being able to afford it.

People in various comments on reddit etc saying that the pension of £10600 (or whatever it is you get on UC) are enough to live on especially if you own your own place outright. All very well until you need dental treatment, replacement boiler or washing machine or whatever, or just to get your ears syringed - a real quality of life issue & the NHS waiting list for that round here is 6 months! Local GPs don't do it. Or to get taxis to hospitals for medical treatments (public transport being dire).

When dad was getting chemo I looked into transport to hospital - he had to go 40 miles each way - no public transport available - and came across some really sad stories about people paying £150+ each way in a taxi to a hospital plus taxi waiting around time, with no financial help available. Basically my sister had to drive him there and back each time - which she didn't mind on the whole, but meant she couldn't do her own work, nor take my niece to/from work when she was on shifts (niece has a form of epilepsy and not allowed to drive) so niece had to give up her job.