Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've finally started making progress in Axiom Verge 2 and I love something I just figured out - if you throw the boomerang weapon, before you catch it you can actually immediately bounce it back at a different angle by hitting it with the pickaxe weapon, which feels really cool. It does feel weird that I'm so far in and there have been literally no boss fights though. (i'm currently at the bit where you get your body stolen and get stuck as the small drone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
X-Men Origins Wolverine: The quick kill against the 'Ghost' enemies where you force them to shoot themselves with their shotgun.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Biplane posted:

I did the main Odyssey quests and the dlc plus maybe 40-ish percent of the side content, which I count as "finished and then some!" in my book.

I did every piece of content in this, as well as AC Valhalla (despite not particularly enjoying that one), including all the chests and poo poo. This isn't a boast, I think I genuinely need help.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bogmonster posted:

I did every piece of content in this, as well as AC Valhalla (despite not particularly enjoying that one), including all the chests and poo poo. This isn't a boast, I think I genuinely need help.

I did every single thing in Odyssey and it's DLCs, but haven't even started Valhalla (perhaps because I know I'll want to do everything in that as well).

Look if you tell me there's a point of interest nearby I'm going to go to it. And then, what, leave those two or three that I never got to alone? No way.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I got a point of interest for ya right here .:boom:

Anyhow, I've been playing Spell Disk, and I like that the boss of each dungeon run is the last character you beat the dungeon with, because if I'm understanding the incremental story, she keeps copying herself and sending the copy into the dungeon.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Kingpin's HQ in the Insomniac Spider-Man game is located in the spot in Columbus Circle where Trump Tower is IRL.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Nameless Pete posted:

Kingpin's HQ in the Insomniac Spider-Man game is located in the spot in Columbus Circle where Trump Tower is IRL.

Kinda disrespectful to Kingpin

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Triarii posted:

Maybe we can imagine he used the car door trick on the previous owner

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Triarii posted:

Clearly in the Spiderman universe, Kingpin killed Trump before he could buy it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When you cripple one of the mech suits in Frontiers of Pandora and the pilot yells "an arrow?" in an incredibly offended tone.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

When you cripple one of the mech suits in Frontiers of Pandora and the pilot yells "an arrow?" in an incredibly offended tone.

Lol that rules

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RoboCop: Rogue City really is a land of contrasts, on the one hand most of the game is running around helping people to show that Murphy is still human and that Uphold the law can be very different from Serve the public trust and Protect the innocent. On the other hand the combat systems and enemy design is intentionally setup so that you are repeatedly shooting people in the dick.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That is of course all to be extremely faithful to the Robocop canon.

Super Mario RPG is as said basically made of these, but having just beat it, actually surprising how well the story and character development, such as it is, is balanced. The miniboss rush leading up to the final boss gives each party member their turn to confront a representative of the villains and give their two cents. What I find interesting is the characterisation of Bowser- it's clearly a prototype of the goofy lovable villain he'd become in the following Mario RPGs, but what strikes me is that he's still taken somewhat seriously, and his actions stand out more. It's more emphasised he's teaming up against a common enemy, and he's not exactly friendly with the others, but he does give them a measure of what you might call professional respect. The new cutscene at the end, where Bowser raises an eyebrow while the others are confused or surprised, suggests he knows, understands and respects what's going on with Geno; basically that he's gotten the job done and it's time to go home.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really enjoy how 90% of the SMRPG remake script is pretty close to the original…except for the Psychopath/Thought Peek stuff, which they just retranslated whenever it would be funnier than the original. Like how Great Guy/Nice Guy have the most out of nowhere, melancholy internal thoughts as the final punchline to Booster Tower. Or the Bobomb palate swap: “My ultimate destiny is nothingness. I might as well go out with a bang”

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Hel posted:

RoboCop: Rogue City really is a land of contrasts, on the one hand most of the game is running around helping people to show that Murphy is still human and that Uphold the law can be very different from Serve the public trust and Protect the innocent. On the other hand the combat systems and enemy design is intentionally setup so that you are repeatedly shooting people in the dick.

It's awesome because I can let off a tagger or homeless dude with just a warning and it's serving the public trust but then nail a dude being an rear end in a top hat to the homeless with a fine and it's upholding the law! Either way I win.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I remember the writing for the little minigame that came in the Superstar Saga remake was bafflingly fun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing Songbird Symphony on ps4, a really cute platformer where you learn new notes from different types of birds and sing more and more complex rhythm games as the game goes on. It's really charming.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

I really enjoy how 90% of the SMRPG remake script is pretty close to the original…except for the Psychopath/Thought Peek stuff, which they just retranslated whenever it would be funnier than the original. Like how Great Guy/Nice Guy have the most out of nowhere, melancholy internal thoughts as the final punchline to Booster Tower. Or the Bobomb palate swap: “My ultimate destiny is nothingness. I might as well go out with a bang”

There's a few of those they actually changed to be more in line with the original script, including jokes and references that had gotten lost in the original translation, like an EVA reference.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a few of those they actually changed to be more in line with the original script, including jokes and references that had gotten lost in the original translation, like an EVA reference.

I’m in the final dungeon and I’m wondering if there was always a Queen reference, because one of the Boos has “stomp, stomp, clap, stomp stomp clap” with music notes as their thought peek which, maybe I’m crazy but I’m 80% sure that’s just We Will Rock You unless that’s some other deep cut song reference. God this game is so good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've only just started playing it, but the first crafting thing in Scars Above is quite charming as you have to place all the pieces and then have the protagonist actually assemble them physically instead of it just being a menu. Then the third piece needs calibrating so you do a minigame to do that and it's very tactile. Also I appreciate the pun in the game's title (it relates to Stars because you are on an alien planet). The elemental ammo can be quite satisfying too, especially the fire ammo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

I’m in the final dungeon and I’m wondering if there was always a Queen reference, because one of the Boos has “stomp, stomp, clap, stomp stomp clap” with music notes as their thought peek which, maybe I’m crazy but I’m 80% sure that’s just We Will Rock You unless that’s some other deep cut song reference. God this game is so good.

That's absolutely it, indeed. Quite a lot of references are totally out of nowhere.

I also read some fun theories about Smithy's troops, and how they actually seem to be on missions and following a plan besides just hanging around menacing towns and causing mayhem. Mack/Claymorton and his pogo troops are mobile and somewhat blend in with the locals, making them excellent scouts. Bowyer's abilities make him suited to gathering intel, paralysing targets for easier examination, and disabling Mario and co's abilities selectively to observe what they're capable of. Speardovich is able to use some of said intel on how Toads act to (try to) disguise as them and tries to take advantage of that to ambush the party and get them to retrieve the star for them. And the Axem Rangers are clearly made for direct confrontation, and have specialties and abilities that are equivalents to what the party has.

Also funny how now with the limit break special team moves, the Axem Rangers pulling out the giant axe cannon comes off as their equivalent.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

SIGNALS working so hard to teach me morse code listening comprehension is very cute.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I've been playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge with my nephews (ages 7 and 8), and it's got a ton of cool little things in it. They got many if not all of the voice actors from the 80s cartoon (I noticed it right away with Rob Paulsen as Raphael), and the game is heavily influenced by that cartoon (and the old arcade beat-em-up game, obviously). There are palette swaps for each character that reference older games (including a monochrome Gameboy-style palette). You fight Bebop and Rocksteady (first separately, then eventually as a duo), Leatherhead, Rat King, Mechaturtle, Baxter Stockman, and a lot more characters that I can't name off the top of my head. Even Tokka and Rahzar from TMNT 2: Secret of the Ooze show up as holograms made by another boss. The wolf one (Rahzar, I think) burps up noxious gas during the fight that stuns anyone caught in the slow-moving green cloud, including Tokka (the snapping turtle). The plot so far has been the turtles and friends chasing after villains as they collect parts of Krang's big bald robot body (first the head, then the legs, then the torso). There are no dialogue boxes, so everything is just communicated in little scenes between levels (and at the beginnings of levels and boss fights). Before you start the second level, Rocksteady and some foot soldiers steal one of the tires from the turtle van and run off right before you come out of the Channel 4 building (where the first level takes place). Also, a bunch of the foot soldiers are doing normal stuff when you show up - there are some guys checking their phones; when you're in an office area, there are a few of them sitting at desks typing away; at the zoo, some of them are manning the booths (and wearing straw boater hats, which they take off when they jump into the fight). That stuff just gives everything a fun flavor.

You also find and help a bunch of different side characters like April's coworkers, the Punk Frogs, and the Neutrinos (the Teenagers from Dimension X). You can play as the turtles, Splinter, or April O'Neil, and beating the game unlocks Casey Jones. The DLC adds Usagi Yojimbo and Karai, a lady Foot Clan ninja who isn't nearly as cool as Usagi Yojimbo. Also, the music rules, but I might have made that post previously in this thread so I'll just leave it at that. :)

The whole game is a giant love letter to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as a franchise, and it's great. It helps that the actual gameplay is fun and simple enough that kids can play.

Also on the technical side of things, it supports multiple controllers (plus keyboard) for local co-op play, and the steam version lets me invite people to play who don't even own the game.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 01:37 on Dec 31, 2023

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
quote is not edit. first time I got caught by that one. stupid pyf-specific labels (nah, j/k, they're cool)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shredder's Revenge does rule. A shame James Avery is no longer with us. I've had the Usagi Yojimbo DLC sitting in my wish list for a while but I keep skipping it to play other things. I would like to go back to it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's really good. Better than Streets of Rage 4 for my money.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Jagged Alliance 3, during conversations your entire party contributes to any checks in the dialogue, not just the person talking. Coming from Baldur's Gate 3 where that wasn't an option, I'm grateful that I don't have to reload to bring in someone who had skills in whatever check I needed to pass.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Leal posted:

In Jagged Alliance 3, during conversations your entire party contributes to any checks in the dialogue, not just the person talking. Coming from Baldur's Gate 3 where that wasn't an option, I'm grateful that I don't have to reload to bring in someone who had skills in whatever check I needed to pass.

I love when they have little interludes during discussions and love even more when the NPC has special dialogue for it. Always snort when Barry asks Bastion where his compassion for his fellow man is and he just goes "oh sorry boss guess I dropped it."

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've been playing My Time at Sandrock lately. I played through a small portion of My Time at Portia last year on my Switch, and Sandrock has taken a lot of stuff that I rolled my eyes at before and streamlined the whole process.

The best early-game inclusion is Scrap. You go out and do your normal day, you occasionally run past something that's Scrap. You break the Scrap down with your pickhammer, take it home, and toss it into your Recycler. Scrap actually sometimes ends up being better than the resource you're gathering, because you'll get the item you want + bonus stuff. You toss in Copper Scrap, you get back a Copper Bar instead of Copper Ore, and you also get a chance at grabbing a Copper Plate instead. This cuts out multiple machines worth of work, so those moments where you need 1 more piece of Rubber to make your 8 Rubber Tubes, sometimes when you go to the Recycler and pick up the resources, it'll just hand you the Rubber Tube instead.

I've actually finished a couple of commissions with less-than-a-second-to-spare because the Recycler spit out a Rubber Sheet instead of a piece of Rubber, so I was able to sprint across the desert and drop it off. In Portia, I would've just been hosed

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I started playing Blossom Tales 2, a cute little Zelda-like where the framing of the story is that you're playing through a story that a grandparent is telling their young grandchildren, where the grandchild is the main character. I just picked up the upgrade that lets me swim in deep water, but because I'm a small child the upgrade is a pair of floaties instead of the standard flippers.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

JavaJesus posted:

I started playing Blossom Tales 2, a cute little Zelda-like where the framing of the story is that you're playing through a story that a grandparent is telling their young grandchildren, where the grandchild is the main character. I just picked up the upgrade that lets me swim in deep water, but because I'm a small child the upgrade is a pair of floaties instead of the standard flippers.

I liked the first one, so I had that wishlisted. Looks like it's a decent sale price, maybe time to grab it for Switch...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I caved and bought it, and played through the tutorial dungeon. I'm a sucker for that type of "playing within a story" setup and narration. The grandpa's dialogue boxes nudging you back if you go off track by saying the hero had other plans for now, the main character and her brother squabbling over decisions and the brother inserting himself into the story, I love it every time. Hopefully it keeps up throughout the game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm playing the Skyward Sword remake and it's kind of neat to see all this primordial Botw stuff after playing so much of that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Blossom Tales 2 let me choose an accordion as my magical instrument of power :unsmith:

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Saints Row (2022): An NPC tells you that this next one is going to be a stealth mission. Keep it niiiiice and quiet. Don't let anybody spot you.

*Load screen*

*Player spawns in a monster truck*

"Nah, I was just loving with you. Go as loud as you want!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nameless Pete posted:

Saints Row (2022): An NPC tells you that this next one is going to be a stealth mission. Keep it niiiiice and quiet. Don't let anybody spot you.

*Load screen*

*Player spawns in a monster truck*

"Nah, I was just loving with you. Go as loud as you want!"

I wonder if people had the opposite reaction playing the movie Hulk game. "Heh, a stealth mission in a Hulk game. Yeah, right. Good joke! ....Ohhh no..."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lobok posted:

I wonder if people had the opposite reaction playing the movie Hulk game. "Heh, a stealth mission in a Hulk game. Yeah, right. Good joke! ....Ohhh no..."

Then Ultimate Destruction did it one better, a stealth mission as the Hulk where you hide in a truck and walk around with it like a Flintstone.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Blossom Tales 2 let me choose an accordion as my magical instrument of power :unsmith:

The first one is pretty good too, looking forward to finishing it and getting to the second one

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lobok posted:

I remember there was a Hulk game on the Genesis, where for one level you got depowered and had to sneak around an enemy base as Banner. If you got caught, I think you took the butt of a gun to the back of your head and you failed the level. Except, if you got to the end of the level, you picked up some geegaw, and then got the butt of a gun to the back of the head - And then Hulked out. Decently fun game from what I recall.

They need a new Hulk game, but maybe instead of a health meter that goes down, you have an anger meter that goes up. If it fills, you loose direct control of Hulk and he just goes on a random destructive path for a short while. Maybe when enraged, you'll land a lucky hit or two on a boss, but likely not. When the rampage ends, the meter is either shorter, or fills quicker/different color. Something might be able to reverse some of the anger buildup, but probably nothing gets you down to Banner levels in game. The goal of the game might be to complete objectives within a certain time, and losing control eats up some of the time. The fail state isn't that Hulk dies or is defeated, but enough collateral damage is done that Hulk can't be seen as a hero anymore. It's like rooting for an earthquake or tsunami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There was a Superman game that used a similar idea- supes was invulnerable, but Metropolis had a health bar you had to protect