Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wibla posted:

Doesn't sound like your graphics card is that recent, if it still has DVI/VGA outputs :v:

What monitor and graphics card do you have?
I just semi-panic bought a Lenovo G24-20 23.8" (reading the receipt) because it was basically what they had that wasn't too large or horrendously curved while being reasonably within my price budget. I thought it would have a "regular" connection as well as any fancy new one. Back to the store and attempt to replace it?

According to the old receipt I found for my graphics card it's a...
GK ASUS STRIX-GTX1070
-O8G-GAMING

Yeah it's not brand new or anything but when did it suddenly become too old to be allowed to connect to a monitor? No idea what the heck those outputs letters mean. I've definitely messed up, haven't I? :(

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
1070 should definitely have ports for HDMI or Displayport

HalloKitty posted:

Well I've had a Dell u4320q since feb 2020, the viewing angles are.. well, it's IPS, so they're great. No particular grainy look I would say, but I've been fine with ag coatings in general.

It can do 4-input pbp, has 90w usb-pd that I use with my work laptop no problem. Stand is as expected with Dell, high quality, goes up and down, turns as well.

I can't do a good review in 2 mins on my phone, there are no doubt good resources out there. It has a BGR stripe, so make sure to use the cleartype tuner to set that correctly

Image quality doesn't blow me away, it's adequate. I miss the vibrancy of my dell u2410s..

For work it's ideal. Giant, usb-pd, flexible inputs. The newer model is no doubt better for that ethernet built in etc.
Sounds great, hopefully I can get work to pay for it, since it's £1000!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A 1070 should most definitely have HDMI outputs (of which this monitor does have inputs for).

Just match up the ports that look like the ones in the image with the ones on the back/bottom of the monitor (which should have at least come with the appropriate cables) and you should be good.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

A 1070 should most definitely have HDMI outputs (of which this monitor does have inputs for).

Just match up the ports that look like the ones in the image with the ones on the back/bottom of the monitor (which should have at least come with the appropriate cables) and you should be good.
That's not what the back of the computer looks like. That line with the smaller ports aren't there. I crawled in under the desk with a flashlight and my phone to take pictures and after spending some time worrying that they had sold and installed the wrong card I noticed there was a line of four plastic cap things:

(please forgive the quite old and also dusty cable)

Those are just protective caps and all I need to do is to remove the correct one and plug the cord in? Which one is the best? The monitor came with one but I'm not sure what type it is.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Remove the caps until you find the one that matches what came with the monitor. It's probably the asymmetrical displayport one.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks. I looked at the cable and at the connectors it had a P printed on it. Which I assume is DisplayPort?

Yeah I checked a bit closer and it's the [ shaped one. Ok I think I got this now. Thank you all and I apologize for being a bit too clueless. :v:

I just realized that since there are multiple ports I could, in theory, have multiple monitors. That'd be pretty sweet. :toot:

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 30, 2023

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Poil posted:

Thanks. I looked at the cable and at the connectors it had a P printed on it. Which I assume is DisplayPort?

Yeah I checked a bit closer and it's the [ shaped one. Ok I think I got this now. Thank you all and I apologize for being a bit too clueless. :v:

I just realized that since there are multiple ports I could, in theory, have multiple monitors. That'd be pretty sweet. :toot:

Totally! It should just be a case of plugging the cable into the card and the monitor. If the monitor doesn't detect the connection automatically, you should be able to set the source with the physical buttons on the monitor.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Chas McGill posted:

1070 should definitely have ports for HDMI or Displayport

Sounds great, hopefully I can get work to pay for it, since it's £1000!

The new one is the U4323QE, the one with ethernet and more advanced kvm functionality
I know the u3818dw allows you to bind usb inputs with display inputs, my u4320q can't do quite the same. I'm guessng the u4333qe can, which makes for the perfect wfh monitor

It's a shame that they've gotten more expensive, looking back I can see I paid the rough equivalent of 750 quid (incl. 25% tax)

Edit: oh yeah, the monitor has speakers, too. Nothing amazing but they're there.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 30, 2023

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
The question of landscape or portrait has finally been answered. 22° is the optimal.

Ideal monitor rotation for programmers

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Saukkis posted:

The question of landscape or portrait has finally been answered. 22° is the optimal.

I saw the articles on that, and feel like they are omitting something like "Unfortunately, after 7 days of use at this display angle a bedraggled girl will crawl out from the monitor and devour your soul."

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Saukkis posted:

I strongly disagree, but whatever floats their boat.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just thought I'd give an update. I spent some time yesterday assembling the new monitor with the stand and today I've just spent hours setting everything up. Switching places between my old computer and my not-quite-as-old computer and the new monitor as well as a lot of cleaning. So far it's working great and I had no problems plugging it in (apart from finding the on/off switch). Thanks again for the help. :toot:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Seems like there's been a few OLED monitor announcements over the last week, leading up to eventual full reveals at CES next month.

LG's and Asus' 32" 4K 240hz WOLED monitors have been formally announced:
https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/lg-tease-exciting-new-range-of-oled-monitors-for-ces-2024
https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-rog-oled-monitor-to-feature-switchable-full-hd-480hz-and-4k-240hz-modes

Both of these have the ability to switch into an integer-scaled 1080p 480hz mode, making them the first 480hz OLED displays, which ought to look insanely smooth and clean. The full 4K resolution "only" supports 240hz, but that's still more than enough for the average gamer.

HP has also announced a 32" 4K 240hz QD-OLED monitor:
https://videocardz.com/newz/hp-omen-transcend-32-inch-4k-240hz-gaming-monitor-features-oled-panel-and-displayport-2-1

This one is interesting because it has DisplayPort 2.1 support. It's likely UHBR 13.5, matching the Radeon 7000 cards, which means it would support 8-bit SDR content at 4K 240hz without requiring DSC, but any 10-bit HDR mode will still need to use DSC. It's also the second monitor announced to support Dolby Vision, the first being Dell's upcoming 4K QD-OLED. The Dolby Vision support alone is enough to sway me to either the HP or the Dell monitors. Unlike the WOLEDs, these will not have any kind of 1080p 480hz mode. That seems to be a special feature LG is using to differentiate themselves from the QD-OLED displays.

So far we have LG, Asus, and I think Dough who have announced 32" 4K WOLEDs, while HP, Dell, Samsung, and MSI have announced 32" 4K QD-OLEDs. Not sure if anyone else has publicly joined a team yet. I wonder if the number of these pre-announcements means that QD-OLED production has been ramped up much more than it has been the last two years. We started 2022 with just Dell making QD-OLED monitors and now everyone is already jumping on board with the new panels. Meanwhile, TCL CSOT have announced that inkjet-printed OLED panels will begin mass production in the second half of next year. We may see some IJP-OLED monitors late next year or sometime in 2025.

A year or so ago I asked where the 32” 144+ OLEDs were. Guess it’s time to put my money where my mouth is.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So is Dough considered reputable now, or are they still in "Cast a wary eye on..." territory? I have a friend who wants a glossy/glass-screened gaming monitor if possible, and it seems like the only viable option currently is Dough's existing glossy or upcoming gorilla glass 4K monitor, but I know in the past various posters have railed against the management/business practices.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Canned Sunshine posted:

So is Dough considered reputable now, or are they still in "Cast a wary eye on..." territory? I have a friend who wants a glossy/glass-screened gaming monitor if possible, and it seems like the only viable option currently is Dough's existing glossy or upcoming gorilla glass 4K monitor, but I know in the past various posters have railed against the management/business practices.

Wait for the Alienware AW3225QF to drop, don't buy Dough (or rather, don't give them your money and hope for something in return)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Canned Sunshine posted:

Your friend might want it but their products might as well not exist with how horrible they are at actually delivering any of their products. Wait for a real company.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Canned Sunshine posted:

I would not consider them reputable now. The 27" Spectrum Black is an ongoing disaster. With every month comes a new update where they announce the completion of some new minor product development step which they inevitably claim is the key to them shipping the monitor for real a month or two later. This has been going on for over a year now, with the ship date perpetually being right on the horizon. There's no chance that they've actually believed all the ship date estimates they've given and missed over the last year—it's all smoke and mirrors to discourage refund requests and encourage pre-orders. I don't think they're a total scam, in that they will ship something eventually, if they don't go out of business first. But their MO is basically to claim that they are providing the world's first of something, collect pre-orders from everyone wooed by their grand promises, and then stumble and stall their way through the product development phase for the next 18 - 24 months before shipping something that's perfectly average by that point and not worth the premium you initially paid.

edit: QD-OLED panels by default are not the same type of glossy as most TV screens, but they're still glossy. They are not nearly as grainy looking as the 27" WOLED panel with its stock coating, for instance. Tell your friend to just settle for one of the 32" QD-OLEDs that are coming over the next few months. At the very least, I would never buy any Dough product via a nebulous pre-order.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 3, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks all, that's what I'll tell him. He almost went for one of Alogic's Clarity monitors, but saw it was just 60Hz and wanted something higher refresh, hence the Dough Spectrum.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I have a very old dell monitor that until not had been now and then going black before the display appears again. It's now doing it constantly which makes me think it's just on its way out. Now, in the middle.of all this meddling around.to turn it.to take photos it has finally stopped doing it. Is it on its way out? Just imt currently unemployed so would prefer not.to.just buy a.a new.monitor.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Think your keyboard/brain is also breaking

The screen going black before appearing again makes me wonder if:

1) The power is turning off, and then turning on, which is probably an issue with the power supply/cord. You can test this by seeing if the startup logo (or whatever shows up on screen when you turn it on) appears when it turns back on

2) The screen is going black WITHOUT LOSING POWER because of a loss of signal, and then turning on again, which would mean a module/port is loose or the cord loving sucks or a driver issue. I've had issues with DP cords/modules becoming unseated. I have a feeling if you open up the back of the panel (if you can) you'll see the module is loose in some way. I'd also recommend trying a different cord before you consider replacing the monitor.

3) The screen is going black WITHOUT LOSING POWER but it's not because of a loss of signal, and then turning on again, which would mean there's a deeper issue. You can test this by leaving it on for a long time without a signal cord and leaving a phone recording its screen, maybe jostling it, to see if this problem happens. I'd check the back to see if any modules are loose or if any contacts are dirty.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
If the screen goes black for a second it may also be because the spring on your chair is sending EMP spike that interferes with the signal. Known and documented problem.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

jokes posted:

The screen going black before appearing again makes me wonder if:

1) The power is turning off, and then turning on, which is probably an issue with the power supply/cord. You can test this by seeing if the startup logo (or whatever shows up on screen when you turn it on) appears when it turns back on

2) The screen is going black WITHOUT LOSING POWER because of a loss of signal, and then turning on again, which would mean a module/port is loose or the cord loving sucks or a driver issue. I've had issues with DP cords/modules becoming unseated. I have a feeling if you open up the back of the panel (if you can) you'll see the module is loose in some way. I'd also recommend trying a different cord before you consider replacing the monitor.

3) The screen is going black WITHOUT LOSING POWER but it's not because of a loss of signal, and then turning on again, which would mean there's a deeper issue. You can test this by leaving it on for a long time without a signal cord and leaving a phone recording its screen, maybe jostling it, to see if this problem happens. I'd check the back to see if any modules are loose or if any contacts are dirty.

1 and 2 have been tested with multiple DP cables and i hate them and wish to murder whoever designed the lovely thimgs. I don't understand their need. Thats just a box of ibuprofem because i've neem ill

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

You can also try video signal from another device if you have another system or something that will connect via displayport. Fiddle-loving with it making the issue seemingly go away does seem to indicate it might be something inside the monitor though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Jose posted:

1 and 2 have been tested with multiple DP cables and i hate them and wish to murder whoever designed the lovely thimgs. I don't understand their need. Thats just a box of ibuprofem because i've neem ill

Did you try changing the power cord by chance?

jokes posted:

Let's not be hostile...

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of those Samsung Odyssey Neo's (LS49AG952NNXZA) because they're heavily discounted. It's extravagant, and unnecessary, I acknowledge this 100%

I currently use a haphazard 3 monitor mix of 10+ year old Benq's of different sizes. I'm running a 3070TI, but with such old displays, I get tearing all the time and I'm not getting the benefit of a newer card.

I'm mostly looking for the ultrawide for sim games (driving, flight), higher refresh rates, G-sync, and just a better quality bevelless display.

Are these monitors a bad choice? Or are they just expensive.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Fatrick posted:

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of those Samsung Odyssey Neo's (LS49AG952NNXZA) because they're heavily discounted. It's extravagant, and unnecessary, I acknowledge this 100%

I currently use a haphazard 3 monitor mix of 10+ year old Benq's of different sizes. I'm running a 3070TI, but with such old displays, I get tearing all the time and I'm not getting the benefit of a newer card.

I'm mostly looking for the ultrawide for sim games (driving, flight), higher refresh rates, G-sync, and just a better quality bevelless display.

Are these monitors a bad choice? Or are they just expensive.

Depends on the price. I'm finding it on Samsung's site for $2200, which you can get the 49" LS49CG954SNXZA for $1300 https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...ls49cg954snxza/ or even the 57" LS57CG952NNXZA DUHD variant for $2000 right now https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...ls57cg952nnxza/. If I was looking to drop two grand on a monitor, I'd go for one of those before the LS49AG952NNXZA.

However, if you're getting a fire sale price that beats those, then yeah get it.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

I can get it (In Canada) for $1700, which is $800 of regular price.

Basically the only reason I'm even considering it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Fatrick posted:

I can get it (In Canada) for $1700, which is $800 of regular price.

Basically the only reason I'm even considering it.

Oh yeah then, snap that baby up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just know that that's a lot of pixels and you may be pushing your 3070 Ti pretty hard. If you play graphically intense games with the bells and whistles on, don't be surprised if you get the itch to upgrade your GPU. If you have a 1080p monitor now, you're going from ~2m pixels to ~7.4m pixels.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Worst thing I ever did was use a 4K HDR OLED screen at 120Hz because it made me buy like $2000 of computer parts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Samsung announces their 2024 OLED monitor lineup: https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-electronics-expands-odyssey-gaming-monitor-lineup-with-new-oled-models-at-ces-2024

There's a new 5120x1440 monitor (it's unclear what's upgraded from last year's version), and the expected 32" 4K 240hz and 27" 1440p 360hz. The 1440p monitor will be designated as the "Odyssey OLED G6," which gives me a sliver of hope that the pricing won't be totally outrageous since their other products with the "G6" designation tend to be a bit more affordable, but at 360hz it's probably gonna cost a fortune anyway. Though Samsung will have to compete with LG's 480hz panel later in the year.

I wouldn't mind a cheaper ~165hz 1440p OLED, even with reduced HDR brightness and other specs too to bring down costs. I'm guessing there may not be enough manufacturing capacity to justify anything other than high-margin luxury monitors for now though.

edit: also here's a new adaptive sync spec made specifically to accommodate LG's weird 4K240/1080p480 panel: https://videocardz.com/press-release/vesa-introduces-adaptive-sync-1-1a-standard-with-new-dual-mode-for-gaming-monitors

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 3, 2024

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

jokes posted:

Worst thing I ever did was use a 4K HDR OLED screen at 120Hz because it made me buy like $2000 of computer parts.

I am testing one for work right now and my loving 4070 ti can't even maintain a solid 60 fps in act 1 of BG3 with the settings maxed at 4K unless I enable DLSS

change my name fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 3, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I went from 3440x1600 to 5120x1440 and I am thinking about upgrading my 3090 to the 4080 Super if it's not a dud. :smithicide: :homebrew:

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Just know that that's a lot of pixels and you may be pushing your 3070 Ti pretty hard. If you play graphically intense games with the bells and whistles on, don't be surprised if you get the itch to upgrade your GPU. If you have a 1080p monitor now, you're going from ~2m pixels to ~7.4m pixels.

I'm hoping it becomes the monitor I look to replace 10+ years down the road after I upgrade my computer 2 or 3 more times. I'll replace it when the Nvidia numbering systems loop back to the 10 series again I can get a datajack installed in our cyberpunk future.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I went from 3440x1600 to 5120x1440 and I am thinking about upgrading my 3090 to the 4080 Super if it's not a dud. :smithicide: :homebrew:

The only reason i'm not going for the newer higher resolution. G9 is because i'm certain my 3080ti would light itself on fire in protest. I don't think even the 4090 could handle it.

It's 7680x2160.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Is it so much to ask for more new regular ultrawides and not these obscenelywides - like a 38 or 40" ultrawide at like 3840x1600 or 4320x1800. Maybe even 5120x2160. Plus HDR. and 120+ hz. Totally no problem I'm sure.

Instead it's nonstop 5120x1440 behemoths. No one's been making content at that width! I've got plenty enough space for things without the whole extra monitor of width these 32:9's are selling.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Is it so much to ask for more new regular ultrawides and not these obscenelywides - like a 38 or 40" ultrawide at like 3840x1600 or 4320x1800. Maybe even 5120x2160. Plus HDR. and 120+ hz. Totally no problem I'm sure.

Instead it's nonstop 5120x1440 behemoths. No one's been making content at that width! I've got plenty enough space for things without the whole extra monitor of width these 32:9's are selling.

End of the year/beginning of next year is when the 39''-45'' 21:9s with the nice new RGWB panels start dropping.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dell just announced a new UltraSharp model that's 40" 5120x2160 120hz with an IPS Black panel from LG (an IPS with a 2000:1 contrast ratio). The catch is that it has a $2400 MSRP, lmao

There's apparently some high-resolution WOLED ultrawides in the works that may fit your needs, but the high-density 5120x2160 model reportedly isn't coming until next year.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

40" 4320x1800 would be rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Has anyone announced anything in the realm of high end (read: 120+ Hz, VRR, low latency, good color) 4K LCDs with a curve around 42"?

I have a strong itch to bump my AW3418DW up to the "above" spot replacing my current pair of ancient Dell E205s and put a 4K display in the primary spot, but I feel like the common 32" size for 4K monitors is too much of a DPI mismatch from the Alienware.

The common 42" TV size is a great fit from that perspective, landing right in the middle of my current monitors from a DPI standpoint, but I really like the curve as well for how much of my field of view my current monitor takes up. Unfortunately basically everything in the ~42" 4K range is either a TV platform with a DisplayPort input bolted on or just straight up a TV that happens to not suck as a monitor, and curved TVs flopped because they were stupid

As far as I can find the only high-end curved 4K monitor available in that size range is the LG OLED Flex, which would be great as a content consumption or gaming display but I also use this PC to work from home with a lot of high contrast browser/chat/terminal windows staying mostly stationary for hours or even days on end so an OLED is not a great fit.
There's also the Samsung Odyssey Ark, but that's substantially larger at 55" and IMO the curve is actually too aggressive for desktop use. It seems like it'd be great for an immersive gaming experience sitting really close, but not for looking at text all day. On top of all that both of these are in the general ballpark of $2000 which makes them very hard to justify when my current setup technically works just fine.

Is there anything I've missed on the market or that's expected to come soon which might fit my wants, or am I going to have to pick the lesser of two evils between 32" and flat?