Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dokmo posted:

here's my top five action movies of 2023.

John Wick 4
Extraction 2
Fight Against Evil 2
Lamb Game
Fierce Cop

The last three are Chinese direct to streaming flicks. There are literally hundreds of these, many of them available in youtube, but the overwhelming majority of them are trash. Those ones are pretty good.

I need to catch some of that Chinese action cuz the 2023 stuff I watched didn't really blow me away. Not really a fan of John Wick 4 at all other than his Homer Simpson moment down the stairs take that as you will...and I haven't seen either Extraction.

1.) Godzilla Minus One
2.) The Creator???
3.) Plane???
4.) Silent Night???
5.) John Wick 4 I guess. I mean it's either that or Guy Ritchie Presents The Covenant.

Worst of the year was 65 imvho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It was an incredible year for first time watches though, just fantastic poo poo, with a year of wealth like this I think you can forgive me for being like Ehhh when I saw JW4 or rolling my eyes until they flew out when I saw Sisu:

Magnificent Warriors
Royal Warriors
Yes, Madam!
The Legendary Trio
Once Upon a Time in Shanghai
Once Upon a Time in China
Green Snake
SPL1 and SPL2 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Wolf Warrior 2
Ricochet

Honorable Mention:
Unstoppable
Call of Heroes
The Millionaires Express' (going back in time and BEGGING HONG KONG TO STOP TRYING TO BE FUNNY AND STOP UNDERUSING ROTHROCK)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Godzilla minus one isn't an action movie. It's a disaster film.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I saw this list of the best action scenes of 2024
https://www.polygon.com/entertainment/24002690/best-action-fight-scenes-2023-movies-tv

Had a lot of the big names, but also a lot of foreign stuff I hadn't seen, like a Tak Sakaguchi movie I was unaware of.

Anyone want to shout out anything specific? I enjoyed Pathaan a lot but none of the fight scenes stuck out; didn't care for Shin Kamen Rider at all; Kill Boksoon had a few inventive ones but otherwise wasn't too interesting; the TMNT one was excellent but not live action, and I truly did enjoy the Ma Dong-Seok fights in the Roundup No Way Out. Wick 4 was easily the movie of the year for me with 5 setpieces (osaka, berlin, arc de triumph, building, and stairs) better than any other movie I saw.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Interesting list, I'd never heard of Fist of the Condor but, well, now...

quote:

Upon the empire’s fall to invading conquistadors, the 16th-century Incas quickly concealed a sacred manual containing the secrets behind their deadly fighting technique. But after centuries of careful safeguarding, the manual is again at risk of falling into the wrong hands, leaving its rightful guardian to battle the world’s greatest assassins to protect the ancient secrets within. 
...I guess it has my attention lol

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

On the theme of martial arts movies from unexpected quarters, Polite Society also sounds pretty baller

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Xand_Man posted:

On the theme of martial arts movies from unexpected quarters, Polite Society also sounds pretty baller

I liked the movie itself just fine but thought the action sequences were by far the worst part

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

morestuff posted:

I liked the movie itself just fine but thought the action sequences were by far the worst part

aww darn

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I'll second that. It's a miss, fairly entertaining and charming when it comes to absolutely everything BUT the action...
the sudden action scenes and ultraviolence just feel pasted in, jarring, poorly directed, weird when it comes to the rest of the tone (it's just weird to have like, the two Khan sisters suddenly having a loving bloody Kill Bill lite brawl, for example, but hey im an only child what do i know), and well, they're just not very creative or entertaining fight scenes unfortunately. Real shame.

Huojis
Sep 2, 2011
There seems to be a consensus that the last true 80s action movie was Under Siege 2, which came out in July 1995. But what about Sudden Death? That came out in December 1995, five months later, and seems 80s enough to me. Anyway, I love that movie. Despite being possibly the most blatant Die Hard-clone of them all, too, it's really entertaining all the way through. I appreciate how they took advantage of the entire arena, like they actually shot on location, including the roof, instead of just building sets on a sound stage. There's action scenes in the kitchen, the basement, the locker room and even the game itself, so it never gets boring, even if it's almost two hours long, which usually would be too long for a movie like this.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Sudden Death rules. WRT too late for the 80s action movies, my vote is for Soldier, the Kurt Russell movie from 1998. It really belongs in the previous decade.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

dokmo posted:

Sudden Death rules. WRT too late for the 80s action movies, my vote is for Soldier, the Kurt Russell movie from 1998. It really belongs in the previous decade.

Good call, it got these production values where the vision ever so obviously exceeded the budget, and it's pretty much coasting entirely on Russel's performance (honorable mention to Jason Scott Lee, a forgotten cool guy from the 90s). Also, Gary Busey.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Sudden Death rules because of Powers Booth.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Hollismason posted:

Hell yeah.

I find Soldier a bit too subdued somehow for my taste, but it sure does have that 80s vibe.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I usually line up with you guys pretty well but I find Soldier to be very 90s, almost no jingoism or cold war undertones. It does have some "invincible Action Man" vibes but it's very 90s. The trash colony, the production design, the overall vibes. For some reason I thought it was released around the time of Starship Troopers but it was released almost a full year later. I should rewatch it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Eraser from 1996 is an interesting case because in a lot of ways it's the last classic Arnold movie, but the whole storyline with the futuristic rail gun weapons does give it something of a 90s feel. So I think it's like an 80s/90s hybrid. A movie that belongs to both decades.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

Eraser from 1996 is an interesting case because in a lot of ways it's the last classic Arnold movie, but the whole storyline with the futuristic rail gun weapons does give it something of a 90s feel. So I think it's like an 80s/90s hybrid. A movie that belongs to both decades.

Yeah I recall that when it came out people were kinda crapping on the one-liners as being dated but god I miss 'em

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If Under Siege 2 is '80s then what about Goldeneye? Both came out the same year, both feature hacking as the main skillset of the villainous plot, and specifically the hacking of government satellites for nuclear destruction (one directly, the other indirectly), both feature trains for the enemy to avoid being tracked.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Goldeneye is too obsessed with being a post-Cold War movie to feel '80s. Plus the "safe sex" jokes. '90s as hell.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I usually line up with you guys pretty well but I find Soldier to be very 90s, almost no jingoism or cold war undertones. It does have some "invincible Action Man" vibes but it's very 90s. The trash colony, the production design, the overall vibes. For some reason I thought it was released around the time of Starship Troopers but it was released almost a full year later. I should rewatch it.

Figure there’s a lot of subjective Kurt Russel noise in the dataset!

I’m just gonna mention Mark Dacascos’ Drive now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Goldeneye is too obsessed with being a post-Cold War movie to feel '80s. Plus the "safe sex" jokes. '90s as hell.

I could have rephrased it but my point was less about Goldeneye, which is obviously a '90s film, and more about how Under Seige 2 should also be if it's got a lot of the same elements. Like Die Hard is an '80s movie to its core but just using the Die Hard template doesn't necessarily make a movie feel like the '80s if all the other elements have been updated.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The big thing that screams 90s movie to me, at a glance, is that in the 90s the bad guys usually doing terrorism for the money. Unbelievable how much Die Hard changed the game. Even in GoldenEye it was about the money!!!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The big thing that screams 90s movie to me, at a glance, is that in the 90s the bad guys usually doing terrorism for the money. Unbelievable how much Die Hard changed the game. Even in GoldenEye it was about the money!!!

Though in a Bond movie specifically that has older roots. Goldfinger is the template for a Bond film, right down to its plot of a massive destructive scheme being done just for money.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

90’s action movies use a lot of dramatic slow mo and Hans zimmer music

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I feel like you can parse a lot of hard to pin down differing vibes between 80s and 90s action movies by contrasing Lethal Weapon and The Last Boy Scout

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Huojis posted:

There seems to be a consensus that the last true 80s action movie was Under Siege 2, which came out in July 1995. But what about Sudden Death? That came out in December 1995, five months later, and seems 80s enough to me. Anyway, I love that movie. Despite being possibly the most blatant Die Hard-clone of them all, too, it's really entertaining all the way through. I appreciate how they took advantage of the entire arena, like they actually shot on location, including the roof, instead of just building sets on a sound stage. There's action scenes in the kitchen, the basement, the locker room and even the game itself, so it never gets boring, even if it's almost two hours long, which usually would be too long for a movie like this.

Sudden Death has a great story about it's opening weekend. It had massively underperformed and apparently some executive was overheard yelling 'Why didn't it do well? We had so many hostages. A whole stadium of them!" I think about that story every time I see a film who's genesis I would otherwise struggle to imagine.

Hollismason posted:

The Powers that be.

Man, Powers Boothe was so loving good. He had a great career but I always got the sense we only saw a fraction of what he was actually capable of.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

CelticPredator posted:

90’s action movies use a lot of dramatic slow mo and Hans zimmer music

That reminds me I'm due for a rewatch of The Rock

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I don't know if The Beekeeper or The Bricklayer are any good, but as far as pissed off manual labour guys who have a particular set of skills go, I re-watched Mr. Majestyk (the Elmore Leonard scripted flick where Charles Bronson is a watermelon farmer who goes on a rightous rampage of revenge after the bad guys shoot up his watermelon crop) and it's the pitch perfect version of this kind of thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's bizarre how often Bricklayer/Beekeeper situations seem to come up in Hollywood. It's like the Deep Impact/Armageddon situation, or Volcano/Dante's Peak, it seems like once or twice every decade you'll have the same premise made into two separate movies in the same year.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's bizarre how often Bricklayer/Beekeeper situations seem to come up in Hollywood. It's like the Deep Impact/Armageddon situation, or Volcano/Dante's Peak, it seems like once or twice every decade you'll have the same premise made into two separate movies in the same year.

it's always fun to try and figure out which screenwriter stole the other one's idea

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I'll never understand why they just aren't Statham "Mechanic" sequels.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Basebf555 posted:

More often than that if you are looser in how you define same premise
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_films

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I wasn't sure where to put this. I was looking at Dead Reckoning clips to see if there was anything cool. At the end of the movie the train is going "fast" and this happens:

Come on.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a really bad movie for some reason. Deeply shocking honestly.

CGI’d to hell too, completely destroying cruises stunt. If I didn’t see him do the bike jump for real with the bts I would’ve seen that scene in the film and shrugged

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It’s not as good as the previous few but it’s not bad either, the action is very charming for the most part

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Rewatched xXx today, for the first time since 2003 or so, and as much of a joke as it (and its sequels) have become since it came out… I had a surprisingly good time with it. Silly premise, good execution. Mostly practical stunts, which get pretty ambitious at times (and apparently resulted in the death of a stuntman, sadly), good use of lighting and set stylization, and a variety of approaches to the action (motocross and basejumping action scenes! The latter while livestreaming at 240p!). Xander Cage really did have to be played by Vin Diesel, and as ridiculous as the character and story premise are, Diesel mostly makes it work. Apparently Eric Bana was considered before settling on Diesel? Real casting bullet dodged there. Setting aside how much 2002 ephemera is crammed into the film, it makes sense that Diesel would be able to ride this film upwards on his Hollywood trajectory. It’s not actually great, but it’s definitely better than the reputation that’s built up around it over the years.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

morestuff posted:

It’s not as good as the previous few but it’s not bad either, the action is very charming for the most part

The movie is just so dour and overly long. Fallout was kind of having that problem, but it was hidden by having more of the ensemble cast engage Cruise in scenes. Also why do people hate on the third one? It was a perfectly serviceable film that just memory holed the John Woo one. The second one is tied for the worst but also the best in seeing is believing, just for being a watered down Woo movie, and yet being this insane distillation of what pop culture was like back then backing what was soon to be this massive juggernaut that got squashed for years until Abrams came around.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fallout has just dope action scene after dope action scene. It's incredible.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a really bad movie for some reason. Deeply shocking honestly.

CGI’d to hell too, completely destroying cruises stunt. If I didn’t see him do the bike jump for real with the bts I would’ve seen that scene in the film and shrugged

COVID production absolutely ruined it. I don't blame them for trying, and the leaked Cruise meltdown was him screaming that insurance companies were calling him daily to see if other productions could be insured to go forward without issue if protocols were followed.

But a ton of scenes were shot very oddly because of distancing - the early meeting scene in the Pentagon or wherever, almost no one is in frame together and there's no cross talk. There's a few Luther/Benji scenes with really weird staging as well, possibly with the two actors shot at different times. And I'm convinced Pegg is in the car solo for the same COVID protocol reasons.

It doesn't excuse a lot of the mediocre action either but the whole movie suffers from trying to be the first big production to keep going in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Definitely right. There’s a whole scene with Luther and Ethan talking back and forth. A simple close up on each character. Left and right. And then suddenly they cut to a shot of Luther that’s the same angle as Ethan..

It was so amateur I couldn’t believe it. I understand reshoots happen and Covid and stuff but like…do a wide shot? Something else? It just looked bad.