Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'd say a big problem with the combat is that you can't pick up characters who go down. It makes combat too binary. Either it's easy and nobody goes down at all or it's impossible, no in-between. The reason the combat feels so same-y is that either the enemies knock down two or three of your guys in the first turn and you reload because there's no longer a chance of victory, or you get the officer-arch-militant engine running and slaughter dozens of enemies with two hundred HP each. You can't really have a difficult combat without a few bad dice rolls ending the player's fun.

The trauma system would probably make more sense if you could pick up characters with medpacks* who could then continue in combat with their trauma. Right now you can pretty much ignore traumas unless you're in an extended story sequence, where they're just an anchor around your neck.

If you could pick up characters who go down, combat could be more evened-out. You wouldn't need crazy stats and synergies to wipe the map in one or two turns if the alternative wasn't having Argenta or Cassia go down and just reloading.

*and is more similar to how critical damage is handled in tabletop but that's neither here nor there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How combat goes for me is that everyone else goes down and Vanguard Abelard and I just tank 1 million bullets and slowly whittle enemies down as they burst fire themselves to death

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Taear posted:

Can I recruit Calligos and also side with the Eldar?
It seems really fuckin' dumb that his guys scream skulls for the skull throne and turn into bloodletters but he's cool with that

There is another outcome to this, but I'm not 100% sure what all the triggers are. One of the resolutions requires Dogmatic 4 allowing you to pull an Incendia Chorda on his Arch Militant, but you only get this option if you can keep him from going murder mode on the Eldar at the camp, in which case he goes back to the forest dweller village while you go to kill Tervantias. When you leave, you intercept definitely-totally-a-vox-cast from the psyker shaman. When you arrive, you see that Calligos' retinue has slaughtered everyone in the village and get the Dogmatic 4 option.

I'm sure there are a couple other outcomes as well.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Taear posted:

This is wrong - you can shoot a torpedo every other turn (even with the starting ones) so you can absolutely have more than one set out there. They blow up in 4 turns so you'll usually have 2. That's been true for me for the entire game unless it was just a bug?

Ulfar's limited gear is really loving annoying though. At least Abelard can use everything. Also he's sort of a bellend.

I had a really nice Heavy Bolter on Argenta that has vanished in Act 3 and now I can't find any more. I'm really frustrated about it because I bought it off a merchant so it's not replaceable.

Also in act 4 all my colony things finish IMMEDIATELY which is uh...nice but strange?

Yeah, I never noticed a limit on torpedoes, maybe a difficulty thing? Or once you have someone in the post? IDK.

Ulfar's limited gear falls under the purview of obvious problems, but tbh it's surprising how little gear matters to arch militants, they are so broken.

I think when efficiency gets to 10 the build time drops to zero. Or complacency, one of the two, I can't remember.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

there's definitely no limit to how many torpedoes you can field at a time, and you can shoot four in the round you activate the torpedo ultimate if you do it after you fire your normal round. with the eldar torpedoes you can have ten in the field at a time.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Taear posted:

Also he's sort of a bellend.

I will not sit idle as you besmirch the honour of the turgid, vividly pulsating and perfectly designed Imperial glans. SIR.

EDIT: Oh, I thought you were saying Abelard was a bellend. Carry on.
Even though you're just as obviously mistaken. Ulfar is a Fangwolfend. OBVIOUSLY.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 3, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's a dialogue bug near the end of Act 2 where Cassia will call Yrliet a traitor before that event actually fires

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Warmachine posted:

There is another outcome to this, but I'm not 100% sure what all the triggers are. One of the resolutions requires Dogmatic 4 allowing you to pull an Incendia Chorda on his Arch Militant, but you only get this option if you can keep him from going murder mode on the Eldar at the camp, in which case he goes back to the forest dweller village while you go to kill Tervantias. When you leave, you intercept definitely-totally-a-vox-cast from the psyker shaman. When you arrive, you see that Calligos' retinue has slaughtered everyone in the village and get the Dogmatic 4 option.

I'm sure there are a couple other outcomes as well.

I definitely can't do that unfortunately.

It sounds like if you go and visit Idira's door before you do the area you can out one of Winter's men as a Khorne worshipper. But because I didn't do that and I can't go back I seem to be buggered. Which like I say is dumb as hell because his troops transform into bloodletters! And he doesn't seem to care?
It's frustrating because the combat in the forest is EASILY one of the worst in the game where it's all snipers who can sometimes oneshot one of your guys, it was a real pain in the arse to get done. Not one that's hard, but one that's just based around random rolls. "I hit that guy and kill him in one hit or he dodges and does it to me" sorta combat

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Taear posted:

It sounds like if you go and visit Idira's door before you do the area you can out one of Winter's men as a Khorne worshipper. But because I didn't do that and I can't go back I seem to be buggered. Which like I say is dumb as hell because his troops transform into bloodletters! And he doesn't seem to care?
It's frustrating because the combat in the forest is EASILY one of the worst in the game where it's all snipers who can sometimes oneshot one of your guys, it was a real pain in the arse to get done. Not one that's hard, but one that's just based around random rolls. "I hit that guy and kill him in one hit or he dodges and does it to me" sorta combat

the blessed bolter casing accessory that guarantees hits on single shot bolter attacks pulls an insane amount of weight against all eldar bullshit

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

As an aside and standing as the sole counter to what I said above, what sort of level should I be to go the ice planet in the southwest region that seems to have a full on chaos invasion going on? I landed there and saw a chaos space marine, attacked him and then got into a fight with him, 3 more up on some stairs looking down on me, loads of cultists and a hellbrute that had like 1200 health, when it acted it one shot two of my team, figured I'd leave and come back a bit later. I don't think I'll be able to beat that currently, maybe I need to give it another go though.

I'll need to seek this one out. Right now I've just finished act 2 and all the combats I've had have been fairly meaningless so far. Last time someone went down was the Chaos Marine at the end of Act 1. Hopefully Act 3 kicks it up a gear.

I thought fighting the Dark Eldar might be tricky but nothing a heavy stubbber couldn't fix.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Taear posted:

He doesn't care because he's been getting groomed for years now. If you break the conditioning with THE POWER OF PRAYER he has an expression almost like he doesn't know where he is or what he was doing. The guy is very, very brainwashed by the time you meet him and would have succeeded too if not for you meddling Rogue Traders and your stupid Aeldari too.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

How combat goes for me is that everyone else goes down and Vanguard Abelard and I just tank 1 million bullets and slowly whittle enemies down as they burst fire themselves to death

I’m very early in the game but these insurrectionists on Rykar whatever are nearly as good at killing each other as I am at killing them, just constantly firing off lasgun bursts that disintegrate half of their squad. It’s hilarious and I love it

That being said the class system is extremely odd. Starting as an officer by the time you get to the first planet you’ve got a kinda weird party until you get Pasqual. I don’t think I understand it sufficiently to call it good or bad but I’m definitely not quite intuiting the basic spirit behind the class/archetype thing. Like Idira being an Operator and a Psyker, where the latter is much more relevant and interesting, but she spends a bunch of time deploying kinda lame debuffs (though it does seem /exploits can confer some good buffs and meaningful effects with a little careful use) than she does using psychic powers. Then you get another Operator shortly thereafter who has an equally cool and compelling background so the Operator stuff feels a tad superfluous there, too.

Then that intersects with the skill and all the perks or traits or whatever system, which seems to want you to really specialize, in ways that are just feel like there’s a lot of room for accidental redundancy and/or failure to appropriately anticipate the level of specialization something might need.

I’m sure I’m missing a lot and it doesn’t seem hugely important in any case since the combat isn’t insanely difficult and I’m willing to toybox annoying traumas but I guess it just feels odd that at this early stage my party has two officers and two operators, when someone starting as an officer is probably fairly common. There were so many more lore appropriate but more interesting class choices they could have made than these. Though I’m playing it entirely for the narrative and setting stuff and suck at crunchy RPG stuff so it could be entirely on me

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Probably could have just had psyker be its own class, with unique subclasses for Cassia and Idira.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Late Act 3 the errors and confusing stuff is happening much more frequently. The "Find all companions" mission failed despite it having been green before. I'm hoping it doesn't start Act 4 and flag any of them as gone.

They have got to fix the skill check system from top to bottom, not even just the wildly difficult Act 3 skill checks that can cause you to permanently lose companions. I tried to rescue Cassia and it takes a series of very difficult skill checks, but for some reason it wasn't even picking my main character or the person with the highest persuasion, it went with Pasqal who has a persuasion of like 25 for a -60 check.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 4, 2024

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Jae, I like you, but you just got on my last nerve with your little vox broadcast prank. How will anyone look me in the eye again?!

I do like that you have the option to ask the voxmaster what they thought of the uh performance. This game has some hilarious rear end in a top hat responses!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Given how an awful lot of talents and classes are set up, I feel like combat was originally designed to go on for at least 3 times as long as it does. It's probably for the best that it doesn't, but this disproportionately favors a small number of archetypes/builds that are best at going all-out right from the start.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 4, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Clarste posted:

Given how an awful lot of talents and classes are set up, I feel like combat was originally designed to go on for at least 3 times as long as it does. It's probably for the best that it doesn't, but this disproportionately favors a small number of archetypes/builds that are best are going all-out right from the start.

It really isn't. I don't think some of the fights are winnable if certain enemies get 4+ turns to attack, not even including the weird feature where some get instant auto-attacks to every single attack.

Not to mention the bosses that can basically get a 100% refill of their health with a single action.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
When I say "originally designed" I mean it is not currently designed like that. But a lot of talents have small bonuses that can only stack up over multiple turns, which are currently useless because of the pace of combat.

Bounty Hunter gets one(1) extra charge of declaring a hunt target for every three(3) uses of one of their terrible skills. In three turns the battle is over.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I really love how there is not one, but two (arguably three if Navigator counts) psyker NPCs who will always be better than you. Really encourages me to play psyker. I'm honestly surprised there is no overpowered Pyromancer npc.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Clarste posted:

Given how an awful lot of talents and classes are set up, I feel like combat was originally designed to go on for at least 3 times as long as it does. It's probably for the best that it doesn't, but this disproportionately favors a small number of archetypes/builds that are best are going all-out right from the start.

Yeah I get this feeling too. There's a lot of builds for a lot of archetypes that seem to make more sense if combat lasts more than a single round. This is part of why a lot of archetypes feel like they have too many talents - a lot of talents don't matter if enemies are getting killed without getting to make an attack. The only time I get more than one round after Act 3 is when line of sight makes it hard to get a bead on every enemy through the complex web of extra turns.

Raising the difficulty doesn't seem to help because that just makes enemies hit so much harder that it incentivises this playstyle more.

Like both Pyromancer and Marazhai have builds based around spreading dots to as many enemies as possible, which seem like could be fun or engaging ways to play them. However on low difficulties I can easily kill the enemies outright and on high difficulties they'll probably get killed if I choose to put dots on enemies instead of killing them.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Szarrukin posted:

I really love how there is not one, but two (arguably three if Navigator counts) psyker NPCs who will always be better than you. Really encourages me to play psyker. I'm honestly surprised there is no overpowered Pyromancer npc.

You can do better than the companion psykers (Navigator doesn't count) by just not being a lovely operator or warrior

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You will never be as powerful as Idira. She gets +1 psi rating in exchange for exploding into demons all the time.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can get that +1 psy rating too once you hit Exemplar levels :colbert:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

The Lone Badger posted:

You will never be as powerful as Idira. She gets +1 psi rating in exchange for exploding into demons all the time.

Idira will never be as powerful as Argenta’s bolter to the back of her head. :commissar: forever

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Idira bounty hunter has an interesting effect where her psyker attacks don't seem to count as attacks for the talent that gives bounty hunters an extra turn if prey dies. So an officer with Sieze the Initiative can use move, move, move on her to throw out three preys then Argenta/Cassia get her three extra turns to soften up bosses/elites. The fact her killed extra turn interrupts their turns also cause some weirdness with cooldowns which can sometimes get them extra attacks.

This creates an additional synergy with her operator class as it refreshes exploit stacks to keep Pasqal's "everyone does extra damage to people with exploits" buff which he'll sometimes get to cast if his GS turn is before Cassia's. This keeps the buff going through the web of extra turns Cassia and Argenta will be getting from various sources.

My only real issue with her classes is their heroics seem to use weapon attacks only (even for staves) so are typically useless on her.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 4, 2024

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I'm only up to Act 4 but I can count on one hand the number of times I've used a medkit or Heinrix's heal ability. I took Pasqal's healing mechadentrite ability thinking he'd double as the squad medic, but I've quite literally never used it. As someone said earlier, the combat is so binary that I'll either wipe the floor with the enemies and take very little damage, or I'll get stomped to the point where party members are dropping dead before they or the medic can get a heal in. The quantity of enemies you face only exacerbates this problem, lengthening the amount of time before you can use the injured character or your medic again.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I really love the Explorator getting ten shots with a plasma pistol before the enemy gets to move

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

drat there's a willpower test at the start of Act 3 that gives you 2 deflection permanently if you pass it. That's... not balanced."

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Arglebargle III posted:

drat there's a willpower test at the start of Act 3 that gives you 2 deflection permanently if you pass it. That's... not balanced."

Small things like that probably don't even hit the top 100 things that makes this game unbalanced.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there any way at all to get rid of bewildered or fatigued early in Act 3? I'm basically at 0 stats.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Only way I know of is to pay off the doc. Nowhere to sleep.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there any way at all to get rid of bewildered or fatigued early in Act 3? I'm basically at 0 stats.

After killing Malice/the Commissar and doing the first arena fight, you can go talk to Tervantias the Archmachinator in the Anatomical Opera who has a lot of things for you to do. You get one free heal from him, and further healing (or other favors) for turning in the various monster parts you can find around Commorragh. He'll remove the worm in your brain too. I don't think there's any way to remove those effects before then.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pakled posted:

After killing Malice/the Commissar and doing the first arena fight, you can go talk to Tervantias the Archmachinator in the Anatomical Opera who has a lot of things for you to do. You can get healed from him, he'll remove the worm in your brain too. I don't think there's any way to remove those effects before then.

Tadpole extraction is free and automatic. A full-party full-heal costs a body part. So does e.g. fixing Abelard.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Do you get anything for completing the contract to melt the ice planet?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

Do you get anything for completing the contract to melt the ice planet?

In theory you should be able to go back to the planet and loot it. I haven’t managed to get that to work.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

All main quest based. The 'doctor' you talk after the first arena battle resolution will patch you up, and you have to ask about fixing whoever has the life drained debuff. If you explore and kill unique things, you'll get some weird biological loot you can give to him for free, ask for items, or get another total heal. No idea how many bio-loots there are total though.

Also if you get any traumas or injuries I hope you have both chirugeon kits(which cure traumas, but not injuries) and regular medkits(which cure injuries but not traumas). There's a couple of items you find in the city as well but not more then a handful.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
So I have one more bit to check off on Aeldari in Distress, and that's in Tenebris Aquae. However, I've already been there and the only thing left to do is complete a battle with some Drukhari which doesn't seem to affect the quest at all. I think I've been buggered. If I check it off in toybox will that break anything down the road?

emSparkly fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 4, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eldar are beautiful psychic butterflies trapped in a horny dumbass.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arglebargle III posted:

Eldar are dumbasses trapped in horny

Fixed it for you :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don't regular-variety eldar die if they get horny?