Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yeah that's an odd story, not knowing the destination or price is not how Uber works. Even if someone else booked for you you would see this stuff right?

Anyway whatever. Tricking Indian students into populating our dying towns is certainly one way of doing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Nairbo posted:

Tough to be making any predictions but there’s a whole lot of condos with cancelled listings over November and December, presumably to be listed in the ‘spring market’ which starts in a few weeks. That, plus the large amount of projects completing in 2024, and tepid incomes vs the asking prices? Even with a potential single .25 cut by June, it’s possibly going to be a bloodbath of supply in the condo market this year -. I’d be surprised if condo prices in Vancouver don’t end up 20% below 2019 levels. Especially the 1BR/studio ‘luxury’ shitboxes coming from Airbnb hosts looking to get out.

I doubt it will go down that far

rental prices are high enough to prop up prices, the demand is clearly there

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Typo posted:

I mean obvsly we are gonna have to see

but antedentolly the condos I've being looking at have all being selling below asking price

some of the "sold" are showing that they are selling for 5-10% above 2019 prices

“asking price” is marketing, not economics. “are places selling for a loss given carrying costs?” is the question…

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Purgatory Glory posted:

Google "fake Indian doctor":
I hate to break to to you, but rich western countries have plenty of fake doctors too. It's possible to check to see whether an Indian has a real MD. They know how to keep records and everything in India, believe it or not!

Purgatory Glory posted:

I wish I was as optimistic as the shithead above who thinks that infinity is the right number of immigrants.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
:wow:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

CoV jurisdiction was +1% overall.

Somewhat surprised it's not worse. The dates where these things are measured are in the summer, so last years' 2023 assessement, done in summer 2022, was at practically a high water mark before interest rate hikes really kicked in. No surprise that it would be worse, but so mild as to end up being +1% is remarkable. I have been hearing people generally post that their near core condos were -5% so I guess some SFHs somewhere made enough gains to make up the difference.

I'm not sure there's enough supply coming on market for there to be a big price collapse in the near term. At least not in CoV. Maybe there's more coming online in Metro that will have stronger influence there. There's just not that much being built. I don't think Airbnb will make a remarkable difference because the rules that the Province is bringing in are less stringent than what Vancouver already has in place. Ostensibly there's going to be "help with enforcement" from the Province "soon" but not clear that will be anything.

The more significant price correction will be in places like Parksville, Victoria or Sunshine Coast where a one two punch of Airbnb regulation plus Return To Office is forcing people to put more homes on the market. If interest rates were low they'd instantly be snatched up, but with rates as high as they are, they'll linger around.

I feel like the BC Assessment numbers for this year are like white noise. The numbers are estimates based on sales and there's been like no sales. In my 'hood I've been looking at the same couple of houses stuck on the market for months on months. Nothing is selling and so price discovery is impossible. In this environment the assessed value has less and less of a relationship to whatever on earth the real value of homes is.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Assessed property values stabilize in parts of B.C., including Metro Vancouver

The latest housing assessment figures in British Columbia show residential property prices have stabilized in several provincial housing markets.

BC Assessment says changes in Metro Vancouver have been “notably less” than previous years, with only single-family homes in the Village of Belcarra seeing a shift greater than five per cent with a nine per cent increase for a typical family home to just over $2-million.

The assessed value of a single-family home in Vancouver which reflected the market on July 1, 2023, rose four per cent to just above $2.2-million, while strata properties remained nearly unchanged at $807,000.

In the Lower Mainland, the Sunshine Coast, Greater Victoria and the Okanagan only single-home values at three communities saw change exceeding five per cent, with Sechelt and Harrison Hot Springs both down six per cent while Hope dropped by 13 per cent.

BC Assessment says north and central B.C. communities did see more fluctuations, with several communities such as Prince Rupert down eight per cent to $409,000 in the plus– or minus-10-per-cent range.

The assessments are used by government to provide homeowner grants, giving some relief on property tax bills ranging from $570 to $1,045 on homes that are valued at under $2.15-million.

Spikes and dips to assessments are also seen in northern and central Vancouver Island, with single-home values at the Village of Port Alice increasing 34 per cent to $349,000.

Overall in the Lower Mainland and the Sunshine Coast, BC Assessment says total assessments have risen to nearly $2-trillion this year from about $1.94-trillion last year.

Assessor Bryan Murao says in a statement that while residential values have flattened, commercial and industrial assessments are rising at a faster pace, especially in the Fraser Valley due to a lack of land.

Obscure areas lurching higher makes some sense. Part of just a greater Canada wide trend of people who want that SFH at all costs fleeing expensive areas and going ever further away.

Just having a look and surprised to see one of the hipper hotspots of young people fleeing Vancouver, Cumberland, is down 6%. I guess 2022 was the peak here.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 2, 2024

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Nairbo posted:

tepid incomes vs the asking prices

Yeah, everything is still priced like 2% mortgages are still available and/or right around the corner in a few months, bro, I promise, even though that's just not happening.

People who must sell in 2024 will eventually figure out what they need to do, given the tepid incomes mentioned above.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
This reminds me that last year Ontario delayed re-assessments yet again, past 2024. So maybe we'll get it 2025?

Our assessments are still from 2016. It's been so long that I could believe some significant relative changes have happened among the various neighbourhoods.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

First hate read of the year?

quote:

‘All I’m doing ... is working and paying bills.’ Why some are leaving Canada for more affordable countries

It was a combination of career burnout, watching their friends leave Toronto in droves, and knowing they’d never be able to afford a house that led Slawko Waschuk, 49, and Pedro José-Marcellino, 45, to move to Portugal.

Despite affordable rent at their Little Italy apartment – about $2,200 – they found themselves dreaming of home ownership while watching TikTok videos from MillennialMoron, an account that compares prices of run-down Toronto houses with literal European castles. (Spoiler: the castles are usually cheaper.)

“You look at houses [in Toronto] and say, ‘How can that be $1-million?’ We have good jobs and we couldn’t even come close,” said Mr. Waschuk, a pharmacist.

The couple moved to the Viana do Castelo district in October and are setting up a business they describe as a cultural hub, purchasing their own “castle” to use as a guest house. Mr. José-Marcellino describes the property, which they bought for about $1.05-million, as a “mansion with six suites, three stories, and a Great-Gatsby look.” It’s on a large property five minutes from the ocean.

They say other costs are lower there too, such as food and cellphone service. Mr. José-Marcellino, who grew up in Lisbon and is a Portuguese citizen, will apply for an income-tax break designed to lure citizens back to Portugal. The couple have found banks eager to give them a business loan, and they’re expecting to qualify for a $600,000 grant for restoration of their historic property. They’re still settling in, but expect their expenses to land somewhere around half of what they were in Toronto.

“I am very much looking forward to being able to try new things, set different priorities, and hopefully not feel like all I’m doing, day in and day out, is working and paying bills,” Mr. Waschuk said.

Mr. José-Marcellino and Mr. Waschuk are among those who are leaving the country at a time when Canada is experiencing record immigration.

Statistics Canada data estimate net emigration (which subtracts emigrants who have returned from the number of those who left) at 35,337 between mid-2022 and mid-2023, its highest number since 2017.

Some of those leaving say the high cost of housing and other essentials such as food are among the factors prompting them to seek to live somewhere where their money goes further. Analysis of federal data by the British Columbia Business Council, an association representing about 250 large B.C. businesses, suggests Canadians may be feeling those pressures for some time to come.

“Government forecasts do not expect a recovery in living standards in Canada or B.C. until at least 2027,” according to a recent report by the organization. “Canada’s real [gross domestic product] is now around $1,000 per person, or around $2,500 per household, below what it was prior to the pandemic.”

The council also ranks Canada’s pandemic economic recovery to be the fifth worst among the 38 member countries of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

“Canada is one of only eight advanced countries where average real incomes are lower than before the pandemic, as inflation outpaces growth in nominal incomes, the report said.

According to the United Nations, Canadians were most likely to move to the United States, Britain, Australia and New Zealand as of 2020. Recent data from Numbeo, an online platform that allows users to compare the cost of living in different cities, shows that after the U.S. and Britain, the countries that Canadians using their service are most curious about are Mexico, Spain, Portugal and France.

Danica Nelson, 33, recently sold her condo in Toronto’s Liberty Village and lived with her mother in nearby Brampton for several months in preparation for a move to Malaga, Spain, in early December.

In addition to the appeal of getting more sun, her decision to move to the coastal city about 140 kilometres east of Gibraltar was largely financially-driven, she said. The cost of living there is about one-third less, according to Numbeo, which she used in her planning. She also recently realized she couldn’t afford to move in with her partner if she stayed in Toronto.

“We want to live together but the rent for a two-bedroom condo in Toronto would be $4,000-plus,” said Ms. Nelson, a content creator and marketing consultant. She was also staring down a mortgage renewal at rates that had skyrocketed since she last locked in. “I would be paying something crazy. It made sense for me to sell it.”

Ms. Nelson and her partner can both work remotely, and got a one-year visa to Spain for people under age 35. They found a two-bedroom apartment in downtown Malaga for about $2,500, including water and hydro.

“The main goal is to see if life in Spain is going to be fulfilling for us in the year we are there,” she said, noting there are digital-nomad visas in various European countries they could apply for next. That type of visa is designed for people who want to live in one country while working remotely for a company located in another. “Is our mental health better? Are we going to be eating healthier? Are we going to be more active?

“Is it enough to consider a permanent move?”

We just spent several years wringing our hands about ~foreign buyers~ in Canada have come to the conclusion that the solution to our affordability woes is.... to become a foreign buyer Airbnb landlord in another country. Brilliant.

Also I'm sorry, what a $600,000 grant to clean up this property? Boy that would be pretty nice, but um that is such a large amount of money that I feel there must be more to this story here... Somehow I feel these folks aren't going to have the disposable income they suspect they're going to have...

Mildly concerned about how many people out there might be brain poisoning themselves by doom watching MillennialMoron on tiktok, much in the same way that we gave ourselves some damage by listening to CI in this thread for so long.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Honestly, good for them.

E: not going to say I'm not a little jealous and definitely can hear Jarvis Cocker singing "Take your year in Provence and shove it up your arrrrrrsssseee" while reading.

large hands fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 3, 2024

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

quote:

said Ms. Nelson, a content creator and marketing consultant.

hm

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

She makes those 5 minute craft videos where they fix furniture with ramen noodles, or make a $10 item with nothing but a glue gun and 3 $20 items.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Hi it’s Ms Nelson and this is a day in the life of a marketing consultant, today I went to work the coffee was amazing, I came home but first stopped off at farm boy and bought these amazing egg noodles, they’re the best, had dinner with my boyfriend who just bought property in Portugal, anyway thanks for watching and I’ll see you next time

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Uh, you can rent a 2-bedroom apartment in Toronto for well under $4k/month. I guess if you insisted on only l*xury condos downtown you could fail to find anything "suitable" for less.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

qhat posted:

Hi it’s Ms Nelson and this is a day in the life of a marketing consultant, today I went to work the coffee was amazing, I came home but first stopped off at farm boy and bought these amazing egg noodles, they’re the best, had dinner with my boyfriend who just bought property in Portugal, anyway thanks for watching and I’ll see you next time

I even heard this in a TikTok presenter voice

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Femtosecond posted:

First hate read of the year?

We just spent several years wringing our hands about ~foreign buyers~ in Canada have come to the conclusion that the solution to our affordability woes is.... to become a foreign buyer Airbnb landlord in another country. Brilliant.

Also I'm sorry, what a $600,000 grant to clean up this property? Boy that would be pretty nice, but um that is such a large amount of money that I feel there must be more to this story here... Somehow I feel these folks aren't going to have the disposable income they suspect they're going to have...

Mildly concerned about how many people out there might be brain poisoning themselves by doom watching MillennialMoron on tiktok, much in the same way that we gave ourselves some damage by listening to CI in this thread for so long.

if I spoke Spanish I would probably unironically decamp to Mexico for a years or two lol

the $2500 you are paying for a 1bd apt in toronto/month would go a long way in CDMX

Typo fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 3, 2024

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Typo posted:

if I spoke Spanish I would probably unironically decamp to Mexico for a years or two lol

the $2500 you are paying for a 1bd apt in toronto/month would go a long way in CDMX

Congratulations, a lot of mediocre white douchebags are a step ahead of you and you can easily get by in CDMX speaking only English!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

PT6A posted:

Congratulations, a lot of mediocre white douchebags are a step ahead of you and you can easily get by in CDMX speaking only English!

I was in CDMX last month

trying to get by without speaking Spanish was incredibly awkward

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In order to learn Spanish, it would be cheaper to move to CDMX and make friends than to live in Toronto and take lessons.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

a primate posted:

I even heard this in a TikTok presenter voice

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It's only a small group of people that could realistically do this. Even if you're earning "good money", unless you have a job that lets you work remotely 100% of the time you're not going to be able to move.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

My cousin working at Meta was angling for something like this, with a plan to move to Valencia but it all collapsed on him when Meta started doing incredible amounts of layoffs and started calling people back to the office. Thankfully for him he didn't execute on any of it and is now back in SF.

Would love to see a Globe article about all the people who ran these sort of schemes and are now being called back to the office.

Heard from my Dad the other day about a son of his friend who bought a $1M+ SFH in Parksville and didn't tell his company he no longer worked in Vancouver and is being called back to the office. Yikes. Well it's ok I'm sure there are plenty of jobs in Parksville... lol

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 3, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I can’t really digital-nomad with two kids under joint custody, but when I signed my contract for this job at a company that’s all-remote, I got in writing (though not in the contract proper, admittedly) that I would be entitled to 4 months severance including vesting if they ever required me to go into an office. I dunno if it’ll stand up, I more pressed for it to understand how serious they were about all-remote.

We are structurally unprepared to do RTO at this point and it would take years to change that, so I’m not too worried about it being an issue.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Femtosecond posted:

My cousin working at Meta was angling for something like this, with a plan to move to Valencia but it all collapsed on him when Meta started doing incredible amounts of layoffs and started calling people back to the office. Thankfully for him he didn't execute on any of it and is now back in SF.

Would love to see a Globe article about all the people who ran these sort of schemes and are now being called back to the office.

Heard from my Dad the other day about a son of a friend who bought a $1M+ SFH in Parksville and didn't tell his company he no longer worked in Vancouver and is being called back to the office. Yikes. Well it's ok I'm sure there are plenty of jobs in Parksville... lol
I know a few people who've moved out of the country. As much as they complain about our "communazi" government, they always make sure they spend the correct amount of days in Ontario to maintain their OHIP coverage.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Mr. Apollo posted:

I know a few people who've moved out of the country. As much as they complain about our "communazi" government, they always make sure they spend the correct amount of days in Ontario to maintain their OHIP coverage.

... what? You'd have to spend 5 months (153 days) in the province per year to maintain it. Why even bother moving at that point?

Edit: I guess if they keep proof of residence here they can keep it? That's some hot garbage. https://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-coverage-while-outside-canada

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Fidelitious posted:

This reminds me that last year Ontario delayed re-assessments yet again, past 2024. So maybe we'll get it 2025?

Our assessments are still from 2016. It's been so long that I could believe some significant relative changes have happened among the various neighbourhoods.

lol what? How, why????

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rawrbomb posted:

... what? You'd have to spend 5 months (153 days) in the province per year to maintain it. Why even bother moving at that point?

Edit: I guess if they keep proof of residence here they can keep it? That's some hot garbage. https://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-coverage-while-outside-canada

There's a variety of digital nomad whose life purpose is to move around enough to never have to pay income taxes. I don't think Canadian citizens can do this easily but even without lying it seems like you could live in Ontario for 153 days and somewhere else for the remainder of the year and only have to pay Canadian taxes while living in Canada, provided your income is not from a Canadian source.

kaom posted:

lol what? How, why????

The original excuse was COVID but it's anyone's guess what it is now.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

What is happening over there. I don’t think BC Assessment missed a single year - why would COVID even delay things, isn’t it based on sales data?

Pretty sure this health coverage loophole doesn’t exist either:

"BC posted:

A person must be a B.C. resident to qualify for medical coverage under MSP.

A resident is a person who meets all of the following conditions:
  • A citizen of Canada or lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence
  • Makes their home in B.C.
  • Physically present in B.C. at least six months in a calendar year*
*Eligible B.C. residents (citizens of Canada or persons who are lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence) who are outside B.C. for vacation purposes only, are allowed a total absence of up to seven months in a calendar year

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Rawrbomb posted:

They all have "rental agreements" with friends/relatives that they use as proof of residence, and yeah it's primarily for (not paying) income tax purposes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The idea of complaining about residential property tax is so funny to me, now that it's such an insignificant part of the cost of buying a home anywhere in Canada. It's just a bunch of whiners who got exceptionally lucky in the real estate market and are upset that the goose who laid the golden egg for them needs bird feed every now and then.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Mr. Apollo posted:

It's only a small group of people that could realistically do this. Even if you're earning "good money", unless you have a job that lets you work remotely 100% of the time you're not going to be able to move.

*raise hand*

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The government needs to ban content

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PT6A posted:

The idea of complaining about residential property tax is so funny to me, now that it's such an insignificant part of the cost of buying a home anywhere in Canada. It's just a bunch of whiners who got exceptionally lucky in the real estate market and are upset that the goose who laid the golden egg for them needs bird feed every now and then.

I see people in the suburbs mostly complaining about it because the rates are a lot higher and the services are so much worse than you'd get in the cities.

Like if you bought an 800k house in say, Pickering just outside of Toronto back when rates were 2%, assuming 20% down you're looking at $2700-ish per month in mortgage payments and the equivalent of $774 per month in property tax. Not as big as the mortgage sure, but a sizeable amount of the monthly cost. For that you get terrible transit and dogshit city services.

That same house in Toronto is only the equivalent of $444 a month in property tax. For that you get much better services and for all the issues the TTC it's still legitimately one of the best if not the best transit systems in this country. Much more bang for your buck. Sure it's because suburbs obviously are a really bad and inefficient way for people to live, but a lot of people don't think about that.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

kaom posted:

What is happening over there. I don’t think BC Assessment missed a single year - why would COVID even delay things, isn’t it based on sales data?

It wasn't delayed by COVID for practical reasons, it was all political which it continues to be. The last delay announced had the following rationale.

quote:

In making the decision, the Ontario government cites concerns about inflation, financial stress related to mortgage renewals and the need for householders to have budgetary predictability.

This obviously makes zero sense because being assessed is fairly minor unless your value is really skyrocketing in comparison to the average.
The municipalities have the most impact here since they're setting the rates, the assessments just change the distribution across the city. The city budget is the same whether assessments are made or not.

It's so completely mind-boggling that all I can figure is that the provincial government thinks (understandably) that people don't understand how property taxes work and it will make people think that they're doing something nice for them to increase affordability? And they can blame cities for raising rates? I have no idea.

The other theory is that the provincial government doesn't understand how property taxes work.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

This is always a good link to quickly share if you see someone complaining about assessments causing them to lose money by going up a tax bracket or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EYvg6X0bDQ

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mr. Apollo posted:

They all have "rental agreements" with friends/relatives that they use as proof of residence, and yeah it's primarily for (not paying) income tax purposes.

Lol I'm pretty sure our landlords are doing this, and they're not exactly friends. Just the landlord's agent being "if there's any mail for the landlords, please pass it on to me". That mail includes all kinds of things - mail from MSP, mail from Revenue Canada for some corporation, property assessments and empty homes tax declarations from the City, etc. I'm pretty sure they're also taking advantage of that thing where the Province gives you an interest-free loan to defer your property taxes if you have kids, because that came up when I searched the land title before signing the lease. They haven't actually lived in Canada for at least three years.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I can't believe you'd impune the integrity of your landlord like that. You should be thanking them for providing you with a place to live.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol I'm pretty sure our landlords are doing this, and they're not exactly friends. Just the landlord's agent being "if there's any mail for the landlords, please pass it on to me". That mail includes all kinds of things - mail from MSP, mail from Revenue Canada for some corporation, property assessments and empty homes tax declarations from the City, etc. I'm pretty sure they're also taking advantage of that thing where the Province gives you an interest-free loan to defer your property taxes if you have kids, because that came up when I searched the land title before signing the lease. They haven't actually lived in Canada for at least three years.

This would be an actually legitimate use case for the barbaric cultural practices hotline.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

To report on a tax evading landlord is not narcing; it is the path to heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Shofixti posted:

This would be an actually legitimate use case for the barbaric cultural practices hotline.

sorry, but only Landlords are Old Stock Canadians