Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

You are aware that vehicles often have passengers, right?

just sing 99 bottles of beer until you arrive at the destination like we used to before all these gadgets and gizmos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol yeah, hm i think what cars need are MORE electronic driver overrides.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

You are aware that vehicles often have passengers, right?

Look I don't have all the answers, I just like fantasizing about a world where I'm not constantly skirting disaster at the hands of some distracted troglodyte eyefucking their Instagram.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Guys. I got it.

I'll make an electric car with an autodriving feature. That'll solve everything!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I think you should get therapy if you have that much anxiety about it. I’m already pretty leery about giving the state that much power over me, tech companies are not better

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I think you should get therapy if you have that much anxiety about it. I’m already pretty leery about giving the state that much power over me, tech companies are not better

probably most people feel this low level of anxiety. i think its rare to be very confident as a motorist. which is part of why car centered cultrue ultimately sucks rear end. most people just wanna get from point a to point b, its unreasonable to force most of the population to master a high stakes skill like driving and do it competently at all times just to move around imo

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Guys. I got it.

I'll make an electric car with an autodriving feature. That'll solve everything!

Offer a low-poly truck version and I'm in.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Offer a low-poly truck version and I'm in.

I got some sketches I made when I was a kid. I'll see if I can find them.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
You're worried about 45,000 dead and millions injured in America alone each year? Take your anxiety meds.

It's good that we impose the costs of our freedom to speed while watching YouTube onto your spinal cord.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Atopian posted:

This thread was always going to have this happen, but it got way further than I expected.

Do you want a swirly too? Shut up, nerd!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I’m gonna watch a 20 hr retrospective of Skyrim while I drive now for that reply and I am not gonna stop driving til the video is over

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

It finally happened. I was so surrounded by lifted trucks with LED headlights this morning from every direction while trying to make an unprotected left at an intersection that I couldn’t actually see anything and had to just guess at if anything was coming and gun it and pray

I'm impressed it took until 2024 for you to experience this.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

They've enshittified phone sex work and catfishing
The cyber-industrialization of catfishing and romance fraud

www.sciencedirect.com posted:

We examine a new form of online fraud, which we refer to as Intimacy Manipulated Fraud Industrialization (IMFI). This type of fraud bears a strong resemblance to traditional online romance fraud and catfishing, but is “industrialized” through enterprise business practices, software platforms, and customer service processes. To gain a better understanding of this operation, we conducted an inductive analysis of publicly available testimonial and review data provided by current and prior employees of a specific company in the online customer service contract space. Companies hire individuals online to work as “chat moderators” or “customer service providers” who are told that they are to advance engagement on social media platforms. In fact, they are being recruited as “sexting” workers, paid on a per-text basis to engage in intimate chatting with clients who believe they're interacting with individuals of the opposite gender on a dating site. The process is mediated via client management processes that monitor employee productivity and monetize all interactions between “clients” and “workers.” The company executes these processes with great efficiency by algorithmically assigning multiple workers to individual clients and assembling background files on clients in real time. We found that find that workers serve as both exploiters of their clients as well as victims of the company they work for. The implications of our study could significantly impact how we address AI-generated online fraud in the future, shedding light on the complex dynamics at play within these fraudulent enterprises.

• A new corporatized form of fraud is revealed as Intimacy Manipulated Fraud Industrialization (IMFI).

• IMFI shares resemblances to catfishing and online romance scams.

• IMFI's industrialization process shares elements with online romance scams but has unique differences.

• IMFI and online romance scams both employ impression management, social engineering, and interpersonal deception.

• Three primary phases are evident in the recruitment of potential workers by the IMFI company.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Guys. I got it.

Now invent the bus again

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
no one really knows how the gently caress any of this is going to work or happen or be implemented beyond congress saying 'do this' but cars might actually be required to have breathalyzer immobilizers / AI 'drunk' detection:

https://www.aclu.org/news/privacy-technology/congressional-drunk-driver-detection-mandate-raises-privacy-questions

expected by 2026 but with an option to delay a few years.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Stevia is the most nasty tasting and gut destroying of the artificial sweeteners and they sneak that poo poo into everything these days, not just diet/diabetic products (and I feel bad for the people who use them who have to put up with the decent tasting sweeteners being replaced by stevia in new formulations of these products). No evidence of it being healthier than aspartame or the others, some evidence of increased risk of heart disease and stroke, but "it's naaaaatural, not like those evil chemicals!"

Just let things be less sweet. When I buy something with reduced sugar or no added sugar, that's all I'm asking for. I expect the product to be less sweet and fewer calories than the full/added sugar version. I don't expect it to be twice as sweet with the thick filmy toxic aftertaste of stevia.

On the other hand, the abundance of options of flavoured but unsweetened soda/seltzer water has gotten much less lovely the past few years.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The AI is a camera that sends the feed to a gig worker in Cambodia that has a PC with a "stop engine" button.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Lobsterboy posted:

no one really knows how the gently caress any of this is going to work or happen or be implemented beyond congress saying 'do this' but cars might actually be required to have breathalyzer immobilizers / AI 'drunk' detection:

https://www.aclu.org/news/privacy-technology/congressional-drunk-driver-detection-mandate-raises-privacy-questions

expected by 2026 but with an option to delay a few years.

I don't hate the intent here, but there is no way the execution is any good.

My hot take is that maybe drunk driving should be treated more harshly by the courts. Having a 4th time offender show up in court and get a 6th month probation is not the way.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

run on sentience posted:

Stevia is the most nasty tasting and gut destroying of the artificial sweeteners and they sneak that poo poo into everything these days, not just diet/diabetic products (and I feel bad for the people who use them who have to put up with the decent tasting sweeteners being replaced by stevia in new formulations of these products). No evidence of it being healthier than aspartame or the others, some evidence of increased risk of heart disease and stroke, but "it's naaaaatural, not like those evil chemicals!"

Just let things be less sweet. When I buy something with reduced sugar or no added sugar, that's all I'm asking for. I expect the product to be less sweet and fewer calories than the full/added sugar version. I don't expect it to be twice as sweet with the thick filmy toxic aftertaste of stevia.

On the other hand, the abundance of options of flavoured but unsweetened soda/seltzer water has gotten much less lovely the past few years.

probably one of the #1 contributors to obesity the world over is the widespread availability of something known in nutritional science as "highly palatable food". basically food that has been highly processed to be easy to eat, easy to eat a LOT of, and easy to digest. generally through the addition of sweet boosters like sugar and artificial sugar, or umami boosters like salts. nothing specifically wrong with processed food, in fact you process food every time you prepare it into a meal. but the more i work in the food industry, the more i see this type of insidious poo poo. these foods aren't processed like we chop and grind and cook meat, and cook and bake foods into finished meals. these foods are so highly processed that it's more appropriate to describe them as engineered, and manufactured.

probably not a mindblowing revelation but my combination of last year joining a food equipment engineering firm and seeing these types of facilities + my new focus on health, strength and athleticism (of which good nutrition obv underpins all), its become really obvious that this poo poo is the #1 problem. its like freaking crack, or slot machines, or gacha games, or w/e. and it's expressly designed to be that way

its completely busted the human brain and people really need to get back to just eating regular rear end food, like you say

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm a major hater of all classic rock because I grew up in a house full of hippie musicians who would never stop blaring their radios and weedling their guitars and I was banned from listening to to anything except classic rock for the first 18 years of my life and as a result it's just all dumpster music that belongs in a trash can IMO.

Pray you never work in a bar with boomer regulars because they get very very upset if you play anything other than classic rock. The upside is if you every want to clear the place out and aren’t afraid of complaints you can just put on dubstep and they’re gone fast.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

run on sentience posted:

I saw a video the other day that opened my eyes a bit. Where are the medium sweet beverages? It's either not sweet, sugar free but sweet, or full sugar. Where's half sweet?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I don't hate the intent here, but there is no way the execution is any good.

My hot take is that maybe drunk driving should be treated more harshly by the courts. Having a 4th time offender show up in court and get a 6th month probation is not the way.

The problem is, if you don't want that person to become homeless, then they need a different way of getting to work, and if you don't want them to starve, they need a different way of getting to the grocery store. That's part of why we need good mass transit and walkable / bikeable living spaces.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

VikingofRock posted:

The problem is, if you don't want that person to become homeless, then they need a different way of getting to work, and if you don't want them to starve, they need a different way of getting to the grocery store. That's part of why we need good mass transit and walkable / bikeable living spaces.

They got caught driving drunk four times, give em the guillotine imo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
When I look up a song on Spotify, and play it, my "on repeat" playlist starts up automatically right after the song is done. This is annoying as gently caress and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it not happen anymore. I feel like such an old person like I'm gonna have to ask my grandson Jimmy to put down "the Nintendo" and help pop-pop with his Spotify.

Every loving app wants to autoplay video or audio or both and I want them all to just chill the gently caress out and let me decide what I want to see or hear

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Modal Auxiliary posted:

They got caught driving drunk four times, give em the guillotine imo

That's just punishing addiction

If they were caught 4 times, they were obviously driving drunk way more often

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Guillotine 4 DUI guys but specifically say “I am punishing the DUI and not the addiction” when you’re doing it

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

When I look up a song on Spotify, and play it, my "on repeat" playlist starts up automatically right after the song is done. This is annoying as gently caress and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make it not happen anymore. I feel like such an old person like I'm gonna have to ask my grandson Jimmy to put down "the Nintendo" and help pop-pop with his Spotify.

Every loving app wants to autoplay video or audio or both and I want them all to just chill the gently caress out and let me decide what I want to see or hear

Trust me that little jimmy wouldn’t know poo poo if the current iPad app raised generation is used as any sort of barometer.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just browse through the settings to find the setting you want to change, if that doesn't work, google it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I found the setting to turn off auto play in literally 30 seconds it’s in settings

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Cram all the DUI addicts into FSD Teslas with the steering wheel removed.
They'll probably still kill a bunch of people lol

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

Just browse through the settings to find the setting you want to change, if that doesn't work, google it.

Then do it again in a few weeks when an app update resets that preference.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's just punishing addiction

If they were caught 4 times, they were obviously driving drunk way more often

It's not addiction for the most part, it's cultural. Most multiple-DUI people literally do not see it as a big deal. It'd be like calling you a speeding addict if you had 4 tickets for 5mph over.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I found the setting to turn off auto play in literally 30 seconds it’s in settings

Consarn it that setting is off! In my day, apps were something we got from Domino's on Blockbuster night.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Drunk drivers will be slurring, "I'm fine. I'm fine. Lookit me, I'm fine." right up until you inform them they just killed 4 people. I have zero sympathy for drunk drivers.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i find it trivially easy to not drive drunk. in fact i do it every day

fun fact: britons call it "drinksy drivesy"

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

anonumos posted:

Drunk drivers will be slurring, "I'm fine. I'm fine. Lookit me, I'm fine." right up until you inform them they just killed 4 people. I have zero sympathy for drunk drivers.

the amount of true crime/body cam footage of cops telling a drunk driver that they aren't free to leave since they just killed somebody or multiple people, and the dd just laughs or says "whoopsie!" or starts complaining, or has some sort of phony blasé reaction is quiet insane. Like, insane insane. Drunk drivers do not give a single poo poo at all. gently caress their addiction. I'm addicted to living and not seeing a person's brains pushed out their face when a tire rolls over their skull. gently caress drunk drivers, scum of the earth.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Alcoholics are the worst of the drug addicts IMO

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

fun fact: britons call it "drinksy drivesy"

The ol' rummy runabout?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

The cool thing about new music is no matter what you listen to it will be better than everything released between 1960 and 1979

THE HOLE LEFT BY THE BEATLES DARK AGES

I unironically agree tho

e: drat that post was pages ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Tbh most drivers who kill people are just like "whoopsies!"

We let people get away with murder if they use a car and don't flee.

One thing that's getting less lovely is that people are starting to get mad about it.

Beep beep beep beep yeah