Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Also siding with Orpheus is fking hilarious

The dude is basically like "I'm the literally the jesus christ equivalent of the entire githyanki people: surely one of you nobodies will mindflayer urself in place of me right"?

And my Durge was just like "nahhhhhhhhhh".

Then Karlach was just like "let me do it coach, imma die anyways!" and my Durge was just like "nahhhhhhh, I like you".

And then she went back to staring at Orpheus until he gave in and said "ok fine I'll mindflayer myself and dooming the Githyanki people you fking assholes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

trevorreznik posted:

I was going to get the blood of lathander in my hard mode run, went with the party grouped while I was in a zoom meeting with no sound on the game, and disarmed the second little trap thing. Went fine.

Then it knocked my entire party off the edge to their death and I lost the run 15 hours in. Incredible.

I barely beat the gith ambush, abused shadowheart radiant spirit guardian reverb thing, because wow that guy getting to summon swords every time you hit someone was wild.

Yeah he's nasty on hm. One thing about hm abilities though is they tend to be reactions. He can't summon poo poo if you can land a hold person him.

He's got legendary resistance so he'll probably succeed on his first three saves but if you plow through that then you might eventually land a hold person on him and at that point he's toast.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

jaete posted:

Wait, what scene is this? I didn't see it in my playthrough, but Mol was alive and well and I did that quest with the kids in the grove. Are there some other prereqs for this?

Dang, the amount of stuff in this game I missed, even though I did everything I could find

About Mol and Act 2

It used to happen all the time as long as Mol was alive pre-patch5, but I haven't seen it since, as least in Honor Mode, and I've played thru that area twice since patch 5. There's a rumor on reddit, that someone at Larian thought the scene was kind of pedo with Raphael mentioning Mol is a "blushing apple", so they just remoted it entirely.

Thundarr posted:

Last night I had a case where not only did the Returning Pike not return (it wasn't used to initiate combat), it was marked as stealing to pick it back up. Good thing nobody was left alive nearby to notice.

I think some timing issue can prevent it coming back or maybe like some obstacle in the return arc drops it on the ground. One time, my controlled undead just picked it up, which was nice, since they got the aura of hate buff since they were now an undead holding a weapon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Typo posted:

Also siding with Orpheus is fking hilarious

The dude is basically like "I'm the literally the jesus christ equivalent of the entire githyanki people: surely one of you nobodies will mindflayer urself in place of me right"?

And my Durge was just like "nahhhhhhhhhh".

Then Karlach was just like "let me do it coach, imma die anyways!" and my Durge was just like "nahhhhhhh, I like you".

And then she went back to staring at Orpheus until he gave in and said "ok fine I'll mindflayer myself and dooming the Githyanki people you fking assholes"

Lae'zel's totally got this.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Just got Blood of Lathander on my dark urge paladin and I want to use it, but he's been a big 2-handed weapon guy so far. Is there a viable paladin dual wield build that doesn't involve multiclassing? Or am I just better off going full sword and board?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I like how in the epilogue Karlithid has become a gestalt of the people she's euthanized

she stays winning

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

Yes, but it’s important in this build in particular because although you’ll have level 6 spell slots, you can’t learn level 6 spells at level up since you never get to sorc level 11 - so you need the wizard level to scribe chain lightning, which is the most important spell of the build - the entire endgame point of the build in fact. And scribing a scroll is also the only way to learn art of war, which is a super powerful spell. You get one cast of chain lightning via Markoheskir, which will be Cha based, but then your other 3 casts will be Int based, so get 17 int.

The game never tells you this but scrolls and equipment cast off the main casting stat of the last class you multiclass into. Class into Wizard last and you cast spells from staffs on INT.

Also this game really needs some kind of in-game level planner. I didn't even know fighters get an extra attack at lvl 11

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I kinda never use non two handers because of dice rolls, what's a minimum range by act 3 to look for?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Just got Blood of Lathander on my dark urge paladin and I want to use it, but he's been a big 2-handed weapon guy so far. Is there a viable paladin dual wield build that doesn't involve multiclassing? Or am I just better off going full sword and board?

You have to have the dual wield feat to dw the mace, but dwing paladins are fine.
You will do less damage than with a 2hander, but you gain an extra offhand attack that you can smite with and another weapon to give you stats and effects.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Nuclear Tourist posted:

You can Dual Wield w/the appropriate feat but tbh I wouldn't. The Bonus Action offhand is fun, but you probably just want to respec to classic Sword and Board, especially because there's a bunch of shields that synergize well with Paladin shenanigans.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

I mean none of those things are particularly optimised builds that sweaty players would be using on tactician. Straight up Lore bards and thief rogues and druids are fine, but not outstanding; and warlock barbarian in particular is not a thing, because those classes are at cross purposes - you can’t cast spells when you rage.

Paladin would be what you combine with a warlock (5 paladin/7 warlock) because then you actually get something useful from those extra attacks (smites) - a vanilla extra attack on its own isn’t worth that much; and you can still cast spells as needed.

Lore bards are fine (make sure you’re maxing out charisma to have the highest possible hit chance) but debuffs and crowd control aren’t particularly useful past the early game. You can use your magical secrets eventually to take good damage spells from other classes but you’ll still be behind a wizard or a sorcerer, since they’ll get those spells earlier. The main upside of lore bard is versatility and being able to cherry pick spells from different classes in one.

Your thief rogue would benefit a fair bit from going 5-6 fighter/6-7 rogue; but at the earlier levels he will be a glass cannon - you need to make use of stealth to get sneak attacks off. You could make him a swords bard instead which would be less vulnerable, and also gives you the option of taking levels of paladin and fighter later for even more damage. Bard 8/Paladin 2/fighter 2 is an extremely powerful build for eg that doesn’t feel weak early on.

Also early on having a cleric really helps - there are items that give characters you heal blade ward.

My goal for my Tav is A) barbarian dialog checks B) high charisma to make the dialog checks actually work. From what I was reading the warlock is the best option for multiclassing with charisma classes specifically because you can ditch strength and only need 14 dex and as much constitution/charisma as possible. Also unless it was fixed/changed in the past couple months you can apparently use hellish rebuke as a reaction even when raging which at least so far has been a great way to pick off annoying archers. So the plan would be cast something like Mirror Image (there's probably better later on) that buffs you without requiring concentration and then rage, then get a bunch of attacks. Diadem of Arcane Synergy also lets me double-dip on the charisma damage if I inflict a condition, which barbarians have several ways to do especially with enraged throw or whatever it's called knocking enemies prone. I know there's a way to make your bonded pact weapon gain the thrown characteristic and return, I forget what it's called though.

All that said, if there were a way to go barbarian and just get advantage and extra boosts to intimidate that would also be an option and I could just use the bard for my vendor negotiation. The druid has a thing that gives someone advantage on all their ability checks of a given stat, so that helps.

The druid and lore bard are cRPGBro builds that I just haven't gotten very far into, but his builds haven't really let me down in my past run. I was doing a TB Monk and TB Barb in the last run which might have spoiled me between being on balanced and being OP builds. Astarion is kind of a placeholder as I try to figure out what else to use, I had been using Gale but the AI knowing to focus casters in Tactician meant it was rare he got through two turns without being downed. Right now the bard is mostly using vicious mockery and faerie fire to give advantage/disadvantage on attack rolls although I assume that will change as I unlock better spells.

I hadn't been running Shadowheart/a cleric because in my experience with my last run at low levels all they are really good for is healing and they can't put out that much healing early on. I am missing having Aid on constantly though. I was considering a paladin for that since they can do more damage while having Aid, Shadowheart only came into her own as a light domain cleric once she got to throw a bunch of fireballs around. It looks like the blade ward gloves you're thinking of are Act 3, otherwise I'd be on that in an instant.

Someone mentioned Anders needing you to be level 5, I actually managed to win that one at level 3 with warlock Tav, barb Karlach, fighter Lae'zel, and wizard Gale although there were maybe 4 rounds of me kiting the vendor enemy around picking up and healing the people that he got four total crits on (didn't help that I forgot about Gale's necrotic aura so as soon as I revivified my Tav she instantly went down to his necrotic aura again). I really should have bought those scrolls of shield and hold person from her too, that was a big pain.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 3, 2024

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

it'd be cool if party member skills could help in dialogue

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I agree, there are so many times that I accidentally have the wrong person doing a check and it would be nice if you could just go "$CHARACTER, what do you think?"

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My goal for my Tav is A) barbarian dialog checks B) high charisma to make the dialog checks actually work. From what I was reading the warlock is the best option for multiclassing with charisma classes specifically because you can ditch strength and only need 14 dex and as much constitution/charisma as possible. Also unless it was fixed/changed in the past couple months you can apparently use hellish rebuke as a reaction even when raging which at least so far has been a great way to pick off annoying archers. So the plan would be cast something like Mirror Image (there's probably better later on) that buffs you without requiring concentration and then rage, then get a bunch of attacks. Diadem of Arcane Synergy also lets me double-dip on the charisma damage if I inflict a condition, which barbarians have several ways to do especially with enraged throw or whatever it's called knocking enemies prone. I know there's a way to make your bonded pact weapon gain the thrown characteristic and return, I forget what it's called though.

Armor of Agathys and raging works really well together as it effectively doubles the temp hp and AoA lasts forever.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

Lae'zel's totally got this.

:hmmyes:

Question about the multiplayer to no one in particular: can you not use stuff like guidance on someone who isn't currently being controlled by you? I'm playing with my partner and controlling Shadowheart while she plays her Vengeance Oath Paladin. I seem to be unable to guidance her with Shadowheart no matter how close I am standing to her when she initiates dialogue? Do I just need to cast it on her before she starts? Or is it just something fucky with the party system?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just to make sure, are they trying to apply it on the ability check window or are you trying to cast it on them? Not intending to imply anyone is dumb, but I was playing with a new player who didn't realize that you had to click the button at the bottom of the screen to add stuff.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Professor Beetus posted:

Question about the multiplayer to no one in particular: can you not use stuff like guidance on someone who isn't currently being controlled by you? I'm playing with my partner and controlling Shadowheart while she plays her Vengeance Oath Paladin. I seem to be unable to guidance her with Shadowheart no matter how close I am standing to her when she initiates dialogue? Do I just need to cast it on her before she starts? Or is it just something fucky with the party system?

Hmm, we've been able to do it in multiplayer during the conversation. The other player has to click to get their buff to apply but other than that it seems to work, at least most of the time

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I agree, there are so many times that I accidentally have the wrong person doing a check and it would be nice if you could just go "$CHARACTER, what do you think?"

Everyone that wanted this was mocked in the old thread because that’s not the tabletop experience.:argh:

Supposedly this was a common complaint that was abandoned in early access because they couldn’t sort it out. It is on the top of the commonly suggested feedback list in the Larian discord.

Professor Beetus posted:

Get the long rest guidance mod, cast it on whoever is about to talk before. It’s been kind of finicky with me so prebuffing is preferred.

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 3, 2024

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When one of my companions accidentally leads an automatically-triggered conversation with an NPC, i roleplay as them for the duration of the dialogue, kinda fun

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Re: guidance, you have to be listening in on your fellow player's conversation, the option should appear for you when they select a check and are about to roll

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Black Noise posted:

Everyone that wanted this was mocked in the old thread because that’s not the tabletop experience.:argh:

How the hell is that not the tabletop experience? 100% in the tabletop if my barbarian saw a magic-looking tablet they would be like "TINY MAN, WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THESE SCRATCHES?"

E: Also in the tabletop everyone is involved with a conversation so the arcana/history/insight/whatever checks should be shared. I get that it's not an intentional omission on Larian's part, just that it's exactly how the tabletop should go.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 3, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Jay Rust posted:

it'd be cool if party member skills could help in dialogue

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you're on PC there's a mod that does this
https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/2171

There's also one for sleight of hand
https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/5036

Great QoL mods

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:eyepop:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Squibbles posted:

Hmm, we've been able to do it in multiplayer during the conversation. The other player has to click to get their buff to apply but other than that it seems to work, at least most of the time

Ah okay lol, I need to tell her to do that before rolling apparently

Black Noise posted:

Get the long rest guidance mod, cast it on whoever is about to talk before. It’s been kind of finicky with me so prebuffing is preferred.

Not interested in mods, but thanks nonetheless.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Lima posted:

You have to have the dual wield feat to dw the mace, but dwing paladins are fine.
You will do less damage than with a 2hander, but you gain an extra offhand attack that you can smite with and another weapon to give you stats and effects.

Monathin posted:

You can Dual Wield w/the appropriate feat but tbh I wouldn't. The Bonus Action offhand is fun, but you probably just want to respec to classic Sword and Board, especially because there's a bunch of shields that synergize well with Paladin shenanigans.

Thank you. Yeah, I think I'm going with a weapon + shield spec, feels more paladin appropriate anyhow.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

wasn't really sure what to do once i got to rivington so i just snuck past the moat and accidentally found gortash just standing right next to me when i opened a door.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
realizing i should spoiler this: mid act 3 I just bonked Minsc and got him to join us and then when we left the conversation something happened and he died and Jaheira yelled at me and left. I think maybe there was a delayed damage roll or something...? Is there a safer way to bonk him than to just hit him with a non-lethal melee attack? I had Jaheira Hold Person-ing him the whole fight while we killed everyone else, I should be able to do that again no problem, but maybe I'll let it go before I bonk him the last time?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Pellisworth posted:

you can upcast Longstrider to hit all four party members at once!
Feather fall is also a ritual spell! And it can be cast in combat as a bonus action, using a spell slot.

And the AI loving loves this.

I just had a fight break out in camp. Everyone gets involved, including Mizora and Scratch and companions not currently in the party. The trigger: If you steal from the donation chests at the Stormshire Tabernacle you get a curse that summons a Deva and kills you if you drop to 0hp, and casting remove curse summons the Deva right away.

Shadowheart was currently out of party. She has a level of wizard tacked on to her lightning cleric. She knows Featherfall. First round of this fight, she casts Haste on herself using the Darkfire Bow. Runs up to the battle and uses her bonus action to cast Featherfall.

Using her sixth level spell slot.

Then she uses her second action to cast Bone Chill, and runs across the camp to another cluster of companions. Next round, she casts featherfall again. Using a fifth level slot. Runs back to the fight with a dash and uses her other action to use Help on Lae'zell, who was dazed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

roomtone posted:

wasn't really sure what to do once i got to rivington so i just snuck past the moat and accidentally found gortash just standing right next to me when i opened a door.

:yikes:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
my current Act 3 HM setup is:

-Tav Swords bard + paladin which is just kind of great at everything. Face character for dialogue and skill checks, does thiefy stuff too, does tons of damage smiting in melee and/or with ranged flourish double shots.
-Tavern Brawler monk/rogue, hard to compete with it for sheer damage output. I've swapped this out for throwbarb or battlemaster fighter, they're all good melee options.
-Tempest Cleric with Reverberation gear. All the good cleric buffs plus good nuking ability. Reverberation and Encrusted with Frost debuffs from items make them synergize incredibly well with the sorceror
-Sorceror/wizard/tempest cleric Chain Lightning artillery.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can anyone explain how a wizard dip works with full warlock? I just want to dip and learn some support spells to make Wyll pact of the blade that can fight in his usual meagre way, but also has access to a bunch of spells like haste. I know I can get haste from archfey but I want fiend for the fighty benefits.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Black Noise posted:

Supposedly this was a common complaint that was abandoned in early access because they couldn’t sort it out. It is on the top of the commonly suggested feedback list in the Larian discord.

There are lots of instances where the game checks some sort of status and lets you defer to an npc - during their personal quests for example. I guess the internal check there is "does npc have related quest," but how difficult would it be to add, "Does npc have the highest stat in [skill/stat] check"? If so, add "hey [npc] why don't you do/handle/inspect this?" to the dialog options. Depends on how the game tracks all of that stuff, I guess?

Typo posted:

that's fking amazing

also if gale ascends to godhood he gets absolutely bonkers spells

What? Are there high-level spells already coded into the game?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JBP posted:

Can anyone explain how a wizard dip works with full warlock? I just want to dip and learn some support spells to make Wyll pact of the blade that can fight in his usual meagre way, but also has access to a bunch of spells like haste. I know I can get haste from archfey but I want fiend for the fighty benefits.

I believe you'd just take one level of wizard to be able to scribe scrolls, then you should be able to learn Haste from a scroll and cast it as a Warlock as long as you have level 3 Warlock slots available. This should work with any other spell too, as long as you have high enough level Warlock casting.

Note that you want Warlock to be your last multi class so your items and scrolls use Charisma instead of Intelligence. So you'd probably start with a level of Wizard and do the rest Warlock.

I haven't actually tried this combo that's just my understanding of the in-game mechanics.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

rojay posted:

yes

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pellisworth posted:

I believe you'd just take one level of wizard to be able to scribe scrolls, then you should be able to learn Haste from a scroll and cast it as a Warlock as long as you have level 3 Warlock slots available. This should work with any other spell too, as long as you have high enough level Warlock casting.

Note that you want Warlock to be your last multi class so your items and scrolls use Charisma instead of Intelligence. So you'd probably start with a level of Wizard and do the rest Warlock.

I haven't actually tried this combo that's just my understanding of the in-game mechanics.

Jesus, is that really how it works? I thought it would use int for scribed scrolls no matter what :stare: that seems game changing.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

rojay posted:

A couple easter egg abilities that only appear in the epilogue. An aura that gives +10 to all ability checks for allies, Power Word: Ruin which is basically triple disintegrate. Polymorph someone into his cat. A mass Irresistible Dance.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Professor Beetus posted:

Jesus, is that really how it works? I thought it would use int for scribed scrolls no matter what :stare: that seems game changing.

No, it's casting from a scroll that uses your latest DC. Writing it into a wizard spellbook and casting via a spell slot will use int. (unless warlocks have some fuckery where pact slots stick to cha, but I don't think so)

Deuce fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 4, 2024

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Thundercracker posted:

The game never tells you this but scrolls and equipment cast off the main casting stat of the last class you multiclass into. Class into Wizard last and you cast spells from staffs on INT.

Also this game really needs some kind of in-game level planner. I didn't even know fighters get an extra attack at lvl 11

just lol if you're not idly browsing bg3.wiki whenever you're not actually playing.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 4, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Deuce posted:

No, it's casting from a scroll that uses your latest DC. Writing it into a wizard spellbook and casting via a spell slot will use int. (unless warlocks have some fuckery where pact slots stick to cha)

Oh "items and scrolls," I misread, thank you. Still seems busted since you're never hurting for scrolls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Professor Beetus posted:

Not interested in mods, but thanks nonetheless.

You can also set a stopwatch and cast guidance every minute.