Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Harbaugh is an insanely competitive lunatic, I doubt he’s the type to look at any job and think “the deck is stacked against me, I might fail.” Whatever he decision making criteria he uses “is the job going to be hard” probably doesn’t figure into it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kalensc posted:

The more appropriate question imo is "Why would he want people to believe he's interested in that job?".

Harbaugh's putting the screws to Spanos (and anyone else vying for his services) in early negotiations imo.

"Aw poo poo, it's Mark Davis, he's totally ready to offer Jim $120M/8yr & additional authority over personnel."

Yeah this is likely it. Also 120/8 seems low. It's going to be 20 million a year.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

There's 32 head coaching positions, and he will take a job if the price is right. Given how much the Raiders forked over for Gruden I imagine he's seeing that opportunity.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

A ton of New England adjacent media people are really trying to get vrabel out of Tennessee. I’m not sure that’s gonna happen. Leaving that aside he’ll definitely have a hot seat next season IMO

There's a bit of smoke that Vrabel may be butting heads with the new GM, but who knows how much truth there is to it.

A Vrabel trade to New England would not surprise me, and I wouldn't mind it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think the Chargers roster is on the whole stronger than the Raiders roster, but at the same time the Chargers have a lot of core players getting up in age while the Raiders have Maxx Crosby. But then Herbert will be only 26 and the Raiders don't have a quality starter at QB.

Probably a wash.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think the Chargers roster is on the whole stronger than the Raiders roster, but at the same time the Chargers have a lot of core players getting up in age while the Raiders have Maxx Crosby. But then Herbert will be only 26 and the Raiders don't have a quality starter at QB.

Probably a wash.

It's not a wash at all lol. it's 26 year old franchise QB vs no QB. You think that is a wash?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

mcmagic posted:

It's not a wash at all lol. it's 26 year old franchise QB vs no QB. You think that is a wash?

Perhaps we could look at the record of some other team, one that has a talented roster but a complete void at QB, for insight into this question.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I demand more bloodshed

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I mean Jim Harbaugh is clearly better than Josh McDaniels but lol if the Raiders pass up their hot hand interim coach for another splashy expensive hire.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
his hand is warm at best

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Raiders could have a fairly quick turn around with the right guy in place I can see why he'd find it an attractive job. Harbaugh likely has his pick of jobs though and its probably going to come down to who's going to pay the best and where's the best place to live and I can't see many more amazing options than a temperate climate, a pretty friendly owner and deep pockets.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

So you've got Andy Reid in KC, Payton in Denver, Chargers supposedly all in on a Belichick or Harbaugh level hire. There's no way you can stay pat with your okayish interim if you're Vegas

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

indigi posted:

his hand is warm at best

I mean compared to what came before he's holding his hand over a candle and not flinching.

It is still amazing to me to think how quickly Josh McDaniels blew his second chance at a head coaching job. All you really had to do was not make everyone hate you, and you couldn't manage to do that.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Grittybeard posted:

I mean compared to what came before he's holding his hand over a candle and not flinching.

It is still amazing to me to think how quickly Josh McDaniels blew his second chance at a head coaching job. All you really had to do was not make everyone hate you, and you couldn't manage to do that.

Who could have predicted a 47 year old white male couldn't change their ways?!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Hiring the interim coach because it's a feel good story is a bad process.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

tbh i feel like the raiders are a prime trade up for QB candidate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Hiring the interim coach because it's a feel good story is a bad process.

I believe interim head coaches should get a lump sum bonus for a battlefield promotion, but hiring them as a head coach has almost never actually worked.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mcmagic posted:

That post was going to be longer, but basically: Herbert's contract is also a factor (the Chargers have about one year remaining of breathing room before the cap number balloons up), as well as whether or not Harbaugh wants to work with him vs. hand-picking his own QB. On top of that, how much difference in leash length does Harbaugh get in Vegas building up a roster vs trying to revamp an aging Chargers roster?

I did say I thought the Chargers roster was currently stronger than Las Vegas's roster.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

SKULL.GIF posted:

That post was going to be longer, but basically: Herbert's contract is also a factor (the Chargers have about one year remaining of breathing room before the cap number balloons up), as well as whether or not Harbaugh wants to work with him vs. hand-picking his own QB. On top of that, how much difference in leash length does Harbaugh get in Vegas building up a roster vs trying to revamp an aging Chargers roster?

I did say I thought the Chargers roster was currently stronger than Las Vegas's roster.

How old do you think the Chargers roster actually is? They have like 1 player who'll be on the team next year who's over 30

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Barudak posted:

I believe interim head coaches should get a lump sum bonus for a battlefield promotion, but hiring them as a head coach has almost never actually worked.

Wade Phillips was a little better than we remember him as HC. Um, Jason Garett exists?

I suppose if you're the Cowboys keep your interim coach because it's possible you'll do worse?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a neat cape posted:

How old do you think the Chargers roster actually is? They have like 1 player who'll be on the team next year who's over 30

For the 2024 season Keenan Allen will be 32, Mike Williams 30, Austin Ekeler 29 (going to be a FA), Khalil Mack 33, Eric Kendricks 32, Corey Linsley 33...

That's a lot of core players that have a decent likelihood of needing replacing within a couple seasons.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Simplex posted:

So you've got Andy Reid in KC, Payton in Denver, Chargers supposedly all in on a Belichick or Harbaugh level hire. There's no way you can stay pat with your okayish interim if you're Vegas

And we’ll all convince ourselves the afcw is a gauntlet and then they’ll all suck besides the chiefs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't understand wanting the cap room more than wanting the franchise QB who you know is a franchise QB.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mcmagic posted:

I don't understand wanting the cap room more than wanting the franchise QB who you know is a franchise QB.

Because I'm weighing the different valuations determining the attractiveness of the two destinations being compared instead of actively advocating to Jim that he should go to this one specific spot?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Because I'm weighing the different valuations determining the attractiveness of the two destinations being compared instead of actively advocating to Jim that he should go to this one specific spot?

And I'm saying the things you are saying are equivalent, aren't.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Feels like they would be a prime target if the Bears decide to trade Justin Fields.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

For the 2024 season Keenan Allen will be 32, Mike Williams 30, Austin Ekeler 29 (going to be a FA), Khalil Mack 33, Eric Kendricks 32, Corey Linsley 33...

That's a lot of core players that have a decent likelihood of needing replacing within a couple seasons.

Yeah I said players that'll be here next season.

Keenan will be. Mack, Ekeler, Linsley, Kendricks, and Mike aren't going to be.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

a neat cape posted:

Yeah I said players that'll be here next season.

Keenan will be. Mack, Ekeler, Linsley, Kendricks, and Mike aren't going to be.

How much dead cap results from cutting them all?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

2024 is gonna be rough. But there's really no other choice, looking at their cap numbers.

Linsley is probably retiring and Allen will probably be extended so that'll cut down his cap number.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Black Sunshine posted:

Looks like outright releasing these four (Mack, Linsley, Williams, Kendricks) will free up somewhere around 58 million in cap space altogether. Three of the four will be in their final contracted season so it's simple to just cut them outright since the cap savings completely offsets the dead cap and then some. Linsley will incur a dead cap hit of 2.6 million for 2025 but that's more than manageable.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

It's the JC Jackson 20 million dead money hit that really loving sucks

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

mcmagic posted:

Don't think they'll need to trade up for Harbaugh to snag JJ McCarthy.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Simplex posted:

Who else is out there that's at that level? Not sure that Belichick is a great fit there if the Chargers go all in on Harbaugh, although I think the other way around works for both teams.

Ben Johnson plus trading up for a QB seems good on paper, but not sure Pierce is significantly worse than most options beyond that.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

This thread two weeks ago: wow pierce is clearly a great coach. Davis would be the biggest idiot to not hire him!

This thread now: yeaaaah so why should Davis keep pierce? The raiders just need a lot more star power than just some interim.

Goons own.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

really queer Christmas posted:

This thread two weeks ago: wow pierce is clearly a great coach. Davis would be the biggest idiot to not hire him!

This thread now: yeaaaah so why should Davis keep pierce? The raiders just need a lot more star power than just some interim.

Goons own.

If you can get Harbaugh, keeping a rookie coach would be stupid

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Goons own.

we were caught up in the moment!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Goons own.

I think you keep Pierce over any other bad retread or 1st year coach. You do not keep him over a winning HC who's been great everywhere he's gone. Sounds like Harbaugh's gonna play the Chargers off against the Raiders and see who'll give him the most

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Simplex posted:

You don't dismiss the viable candidacy of a solid interim coach for such a nothing reason.

If Harbaugh interviews and seems committed (unlike the Minnesota interview a year or two ago) then sure, he's a proven success several times over.

But if he isn't keen on the Raiders then there is no legitimate headline-making hire, so... gauge Pierce on his merits and interview chops and plan for the future, rather than believing you need to win the off-season coaching hire showdown?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

kalensc posted:

You don't dismiss the viable candidacy of a solid interim coach for such a nothing reason.

If Harbaugh interviews and seems committed (unlike the Minnesota interview a year or two ago) then sure, he's a proven success several times over.

But if he isn’t keen on the Raiders then there is no legitimate headline-making hire, so... gauge Pierce on his merits and interview chops and plan for the future, rather than believing you need to win the off-season coaching hire showdown?

I know it’s a different sport but I’m thinking about Monty Williams accepting that massive gently caress off contract to coach the Pistons even though he wanted to just take the year off and wanted a veteran team and the hilarious results it’s had (team sucks rear end, he is playing no hopers over rookies who could maybe be developed, kind of seems like he’s phoning it in).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

If you can get Harbaugh, keeping a rookie coach would be stupid

Yeah Its this, if my choices were like Ben johnson, or a retread I'm taking Pierce, if i can get Harbaugh it's harbaugh.