Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh wow I didn't realize there was Firefox for Mac. That certainly clarifies things.

Thank you!

For quite a long time, Firefox was developed near-exclusively on Macs. I had to bribe people to get them to even test their poo poo on Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oh.. how long have you been able to do this? if it's since mac os x 10.0 then i'm gonna feel dumb

https://i.imgur.com/pU2YBaD.mp4

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Last Chance posted:

oh.. how long have you been able to do this? if it's since mac os x 10.0 then i'm gonna feel dumb

Get ready to feel dumb…
(At least since Leopard, which was my first MacOS version)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Since at least 2005?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

You can do a lot of fun things with that thin line that aren't advertised anywhere.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:saddowns:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

It's ok, there's generally something "new" I discovered in macOS every year, that turns out to have been there for a really long time. All part of the fun of being a Mac user!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Photos is pissing me off by two apparently-missing features

1) Subtractive search in albums/media types. e.g. "Imports but not in Memes", so I can see things that probably should be in an album but aren't, and move only the ones that should be.

2) A media type album for "regular photos". It'll do literally every _other_ media type, but if I just want to see poo poo that I've taken that's synced from my phone? Nope...

If it turns out I'm wrong I'll be very happy. I'd also be very happy for a shortcut that'll do either, but I'm not shortcut-aware enough to do either.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

Photos is pissing me off by two apparently-missing features

1) Subtractive search in albums/media types. e.g. "Imports but not in Memes", so I can see things that probably should be in an album but aren't, and move only the ones that should be.

2) A media type album for "regular photos". It'll do literally every _other_ media type, but if I just want to see poo poo that I've taken that's synced from my phone? Nope...

If it turns out I'm wrong I'll be very happy. I'd also be very happy for a shortcut that'll do either, but I'm not shortcut-aware enough to do either.

Have you played with smart albums? You can choose "Camera Type" and select any number of camera or device you want to include in that specific smart album filter. It's pretty powerful, and you might be able to figure something out about #1 as well.

I have a bunch of smart albums that use OCR to filter out stuff. I really wish Apple would add smart albums to iOS, same with smart playlists for Apple Music.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Branch Nvidian posted:

Get ready to feel dumb…
(At least since Leopard, which was my first MacOS version)

Yeah I remember that being in the Public Beta lol. It was one of the main things to show off Quartz live magnification and smooth scaling which was :aaaaa:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Corb3t posted:

Have you played with smart albums? You can choose "Camera Type" and select any number of camera or device you want to include in that specific smart album filter. It's pretty powerful, and you might be able to figure something out about #1 as well.

I have a bunch of smart albums that use OCR to filter out stuff. I really wish Apple would add smart albums to iOS, same with smart playlists for Apple Music.

That's really useful, thank you. Smart albums got what I wanted for #2, but it doesn't (appear to) have a way to identify imports. But even so, just having a way to see "photos I took" is so very useful.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

That's really useful, thank you. Smart albums got what I wanted for #2, but it doesn't (appear to) have a way to identify imports. But even so, just having a way to see "photos I took" is so very useful.

With Smart Albums, you should be able to choose "Album" "is not" "Memes" and it should filter out anything included in that specific album you don't want to see.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm running 13.6.3 and I have a headset that I use for multiple things - primarily USB connection from its base to my PC for Teams, but I use bluetooth from the base to my Mac. The problem is whenever it reconnects to my Mac it changes the sound output to the headset, which I don't want. I go back and change it to headphones (which plugs into my amp) but is there a way to make it stay on that output and not change when it detects a new one?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm running 13.6.3 and I have a headset that I use for multiple things - primarily USB connection from its base to my PC for Teams, but I use bluetooth from the base to my Mac. The problem is whenever it reconnects to my Mac it changes the sound output to the headset, which I don't want. I go back and change it to headphones (which plugs into my amp) but is there a way to make it stay on that output and not change when it detects a new one?

I think this is something the headset does. I have a couple jabra headsets that leave it to the OS to remember which output you want when they connect, but an old mpow that always steals it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The displayport monitors do it too - it seems to be any new audio device.

It doesn't change things on my phone, which also connects via bluetooth - on the Android phone I set the device to be calls only, not media. Having Mac sound output via headphones I'm still able to select the headset as the Teams voice device.

Ultimately I'm looking for a way to lock or reset the audio output but haven't managed to find anything so far.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

when I undock/redock my laptop it always picks a random audio configuration for me, I’m guessing because of random races in the order that devices finish registering or something

happens to a ton of others at work too, I think it’s just A Mac Thing

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Corb3t posted:

With Smart Albums, you should be able to choose "Album" "is not" "Memes" and it should filter out anything included in that specific album you don't want to see.

Combining that and "camera model is empty" lets me filter to stuff I've imported plus some random other bits, which works well. Thanks again!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have the opposite problem. Connect my Bose headphones and Teams decides no, it'll just continue to use my Arturia AudioFuse despite it not having a mic, so when someone calls I have to fumble about clumsily to change it. Seems to work okay with my AirPods though -- fancy that. Annoying!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Here's what I've ended up doing:

I found a Brew application called SwitchAudioSource which seems really simple and effective. I created an Automator application which runs a bash script which calls SwitchAudioSource and sets my preferred outputs. I then used BetterTouchTool (which I use already) to assign it to a mouse shortcut (tap above Apple logo whilst holding cmd). It isn't automatic, but it's simple enough to not annoy me. If I find a way to trigger it when the audio devices change, all the better.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
If you’re clicking stuff anyway, did you know about alt-clicking the volume icon to select input/output? Doesn’t do exactly this but maybe still useful.

Cool workaround too!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

tuyop posted:

If you’re clicking stuff anyway, did you know about alt-clicking the volume icon to select input/output? Doesn’t do exactly this but maybe still useful.

Cool workaround too!

I'd seen folks say that but like an idiot I couldn't find the volume icon - I've not used it since back when it was in the menu bar. I've just found it and now have another option.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

tuyop posted:

Cool workaround too!

This is what I do every time I turn on my Bluetooth headset for work meetings. I’m playing my music on my good speakers, but MacOS wants to send it to my headset from 15 years ago. It just really wants me to hear the music as if it was a phone call.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

So, I’ve been using a Mac Studio attached to a 4k Dell 144hz monitor (G3223Q) via an Amazon USB-C to full-size DisplayPort cable and running at 2560x1440x144hz in bliss for months.

Today, had to reboot the Studio to clear some other issues and now it’s topping out at 60hz.

Anybody have any suggestions for anything I can try to force 144hz back into the mix? 60hz sucks.

Do these cables go… partially bad or something ever? It’s not under any stress and hasn’t had any impacts.

Tried the other USB-C ports on the studio, 60hz on all of ‘em.

Not sure what else I could even try but hoping maybe somebody else has some ideas…

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Settings > Displays > Advanced > Show Resolutions as List

I'm guessing your OS resolution got changed to something not compatible with 144.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

American McGay posted:

Settings > Displays > Advanced > Show Resolutions as List

I'm guessing your OS resolution got changed to something not compatible with 144.

Weird. If I choose one of the “low resolution” options, it’ll let me then choose 144hz but everything looks like blurry poo poo now. I’ve had this running at honest 4k (ie, crisp text, no blurry) with 144hz before.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

smr posted:

So, I’ve been using a Mac Studio attached to a 4k Dell 144hz monitor (G3223Q) via an Amazon USB-C to full-size DisplayPort cable and running at 2560x1440x144hz in bliss for months.

Today, had to reboot the Studio to clear some other issues and now it’s topping out at 60hz.

Anybody have any suggestions for anything I can try to force 144hz back into the mix? 60hz sucks.

Do these cables go… partially bad or something ever? It’s not under any stress and hasn’t had any impacts.

Tried the other USB-C ports on the studio, 60hz on all of ‘em.

Not sure what else I could even try but hoping maybe somebody else has some ideas…

Kinda sounds like the cable’s gone bad. If you have a spare to swap in, I’d try it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, possibly even unplugging and plugging the cable back into the monitor may help. I feel like that’s fixed a very rare issue with macOS not handshaking with the display properly and getting the correct available modes for me in the past

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, possibly even unplugging and plugging the cable back into the monitor may help. I feel like that’s fixed a very rare issue with macOS not handshaking with the display properly and getting the correct available modes for me in the past

Jesus Christ, this worked. I had tried various ports on the Studio itself, but figured with the locking Displayport plug and poo poo that it was not likely to be that.

Shows what I know.

Thanks, all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

smr posted:

Jesus Christ, this worked. I had tried various ports on the Studio itself, but figured with the locking Displayport plug and poo poo that it was not likely to be that.

Shows what I know.

Thanks, all.

Nonsense. Sometimes with computers it’s not what you know, it’s just trying poo poo until it works even if you don’t know why. Goes back decades, even predating the home computer: http://catb.org/jargon/html/magic-story.html

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Legend of (the) Cable Dance

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Cables have chips in them now and they can crash requiring a reboot by unplugging them. :psyduck:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
IS Quick Look some apple branded nonsense? I've typed it into my work's online chat twice today and I've had to wrestle with it to stop it autocorrecting into a proper noun and capitalising the Q and L (as in 'please take a quick look at this document before I send it on). Is there a menu where I can choose which of these to disable. Like, I really don't care if it capitalises the P in iPad but doing it with normal terms of conversation is fuckin stupid

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Grumbles posted:

IS Quick Look some apple branded nonsense? I've typed it into my work's online chat twice today and I've had to wrestle with it to stop it autocorrecting into a proper noun and capitalising the Q and L (as in 'please take a quick look at this document before I send it on). Is there a menu where I can choose which of these to disable. Like, I really don't care if it capitalises the P in iPad but doing it with normal terms of conversation is fuckin stupid

on macOS I just have autocorrect disabled since I don't think you need it when typing with an actual keyboard

If that works for you it's Settings > Keyboard > Input Sources > Edit > Correct spelling automatically

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Arivia posted:

Nonsense. Sometimes with computers it’s not what you know, it’s just trying poo poo until it works even if you don’t know why. Goes back decades, even predating the home computer: http://catb.org/jargon/html/magic-story.html

This is awesome.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Grumbles posted:

Yes, it's the functionality that lets you hit Spacebar in the finder to bring up a visual preview of a file's contents.

Generally, autocorrect settings on macOS are in (the old) System Preferences at Keyboard > Text > turn off "Correct spelling automatically", "Capitalize words automatically".

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Is there a way to force a window to have a specific resolution? Say I want to run a game at a lower resolution and windowed, without the game window becoming tiny.

Fullscreen

Windowed

If I make this window bigger, the resolution shifts with it. This is what I'd like to avoid — any ideas?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This is more of a troubleshooting thing and I presume we have a thread for this but I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction and I'll go from there. I'll occasionally have the screen of my MBP flash blank/black for a split second and return to normal. It seems almost like the graphics driver is crashing or something along those lines but I'm not seeing anything else to support that. Is that "a thing" that is relatively common or should I start shaking trees for a solution?

edit: Console doesn't have anything that leaps out at me but I'm also anything but adept at this sort of thing in the context of it being a Mac. Windows I can handle so hopefully that context can be applied over.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Is there a second display plugged into the MacBook?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My dad wants to convert all his music CDs to MP3 so he could put them on a cloud server audio device thing. I've figured out how to rip the discs using Apple Music into Apple Lossless. Some questions:

1. Apple Music pulls the metadata, but not the album art. How do I get it to automatically get the album art?
2. Any reason I should convert to FLAC rather than Apple Lossless? If so, is there a boomer friendly program to do so?
3. If no to the last question, what's the easy way to convert the Apple Lossless .m4a files to .mp3 in TYOOL 2024?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I would use XLD. Rip to FLAC and MP3 at the same time, should auto grab and embed album art for most stuff (some people are against embedded album art fwiw. I think Apple does not embed, which may be what you are experiencing!). Some setup instructions since it can seem a little arcane when you first open it up.