Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lore question: Hey why aren't drow under "Elf" in character creation? deep gnomes and grey dwarves don't get their own category!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question: Hey why aren't drow under "Elf" in character creation? deep gnomes and grey dwarves don't get their own category!!

fantasy racism

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

unless the FR lore changed, drow are considered a distinct species due to their corruption by lloth, to the point that one of the really big "yikes" 4E epic destinies (level 20+ prestige classes) was Redeemed Drow, where you overcame the malevolent stink of your tainted bloodline to become a good drow

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Saraiguma posted:

fantasy racism

the thing about fantasy worlds with intelligent species that have legitimate and immutable traits, and magic existing, is i think the structure of society would be so unbelievably different that it would be impossible to tell any kind of stories with human relevance. so you just need to only think about it so far as it feels cool and then stop.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The gith patrol is gnarly as gently caress if you fail the deception check, jesus.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The gith patrol is gnarly as gently caress if you fail the deception check, jesus.

i wish the gith showed up more because they're some of the only encounters that genuinely require careful thought on tactician, especially the patrol at the level you run into them

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Githyankee are basically saiyans

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I didn't go to the mountain pass or encounter the patrol, so it was a complete shitstorm when the entire Gith Inquisition ambushed me all at once with a bunch of plot dudes and a billion expendable mooks in Act 3. A hasted thief/monk and a bard brandishing a shrieking Phallus Aleve put paid to that, but it was a close one for sure.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Vermain posted:

i wish the gith showed up more because they're some of the only encounters that genuinely require careful thought on tactician, especially the patrol at the level you run into them

I almost always complete the full Grymforge/Ancient Forge area before I head to the Mountain Pass. Grym is pretty easy (and amusing) to cheese by leaving three party members on the upper ledge and just having them throw stuff at him.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Jesus, is that really how it works? I thought it would use int for scribed scrolls no matter what :stare: that seems game changing.

One level of Wizard lets you scribe a scroll into your spellbook, as long as you have spell slots of high enough level. Spell slots are interchangeable between all classes, they depend on how many total levels of full or half (or third) caster you have: https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Spells#Spell_slots

So for example, if you took 10 levels in Druid and 1 level of Wizard, you would have 11 caster levels total (=6th level spell slot access). However, you would only know Druid spells up through 5th spell level. You can scribe any level of Wizard spell and cast it using your mostly Druid-leveled spell slots.

It's a bit confusing but basically one level of Wizard will let you put any spell in your spellbook. So you could do 11 levels of Spore Druid and 1 level of Wizard lets you put anything in your "druid" spellbook.

edit: though Warlock spell slots are a separate thing.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 4, 2024

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Still trying to figure out how my guy upthread hit level 6 for Shattered Sanctum :psyduck: I was Level 4 and wouldn't hit 5 for many more hours and still haven't hit level 6 and have done so much poo poo since then

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Still trying to figure out how my guy upthread hit level 6 for Shattered Sanctum :psyduck: I was Level 4 and wouldn't hit 5 for many more hours and still haven't hit level 6 and have done so much poo poo since then

you can go to the underdark early: that's prob how

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

In 5e Drow are elves.

They're a different race here because subraces don't have subraces and Larian wanted to split up the Lloth-loyalist and Seldarine drow experience.

It's a game mechanic thing, not a lore thing.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Yeah but it's harder than the Sanctum, is it not? Plus I haven't hit 6 despite clearing everything except Grymforge. Maybe I'm doing something terribly wrong :ohdear:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

You could theoretically do most of the mountain pass too I suppose. Why you would do that I don't know. But you could.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Yeah but it's harder than the Sanctum, is it not? Plus I haven't hit 6 despite clearing everything except Grymforge. Maybe I'm doing something terribly wrong :ohdear:

tbh that matches pretty closely with my HM playthrough I think. I did everything but Grymforge and Mountain Pass and got a little over level 5. Grymforge got me just to 6, and Mountain Pass to 7.

Underdark can potentially be harder than the goblin camp BUT it's made much simpler if you know the fights and you can grab Sovereign Glut and have him follow you around with a spore zombie and trivialize the combat in the main Underdark zone. As soon as you can beat the gnolls and access the Zhentarim basement you're good to do the main Underdark zone imo. Enter through the Zhent basement, head directly to the myconid village and recruit Sovereign Glut. He's beefy and hits hard and will follow you everywhere including the top of the Arcane Tower and Booaalll's cavern. If he gets beat up just leave the Underdark and return, he'll heal and show up back in the village waiting for you. He can raise one spore zombie from most any corpse that has something like 80% of its living HP and the same abilities. I raised a minotaur and later a hook horror; other goons have mentioned raising the bulette or even kicking the spider queen down into the Underdark and raising her corpse.

edit: basically you can do Underdark at level 3-4 by grabbing Glut and a spore zombie to effectively have a 6-person party.

Glut has an absolutely brutal Multiattack (for the level) if you can knock an enemy prone.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 4, 2024

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

OzFactor posted:

realizing i should spoiler this: mid act 3 I just bonked Minsc and got him to join us and then when we left the conversation something happened and he died and Jaheira yelled at me and left. I think maybe there was a delayed damage roll or something...? Is there a safer way to bonk him than to just hit him with a non-lethal melee attack? I had Jaheira Hold Person-ing him the whole fight while we killed everyone else, I should be able to do that again no problem, but maybe I'll let it go before I bonk him the last time?

Same thing happened to me because I had spirit guardians on when the fight ended and the conversation starts. It’s still running and so it saps the last hit point and oops

Bonking him is fine, but end all concentration spells before hand

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

After my concerns last night things have been going way better. I respecced Shadowheart into a paladin with great weapon mastery and she has been doing real well, I've got Karlach as a bard (I wanted to hear her vicious mockery lines) for sleight of hand in place of Astarion. I got my warlock into barbarian now so I'm just using armor of agathys and hellish rebuke for my spell slots. The goal at this point is to get her to barbarian 3 so she can get the wildheart tiger whatever it is that's like an upgraded cleave, then by 7 get her great weapon mastery. The tiger thing procs bleed so if I can get someone bleeding every other turn I'll be doing double my charisma bonus in damage on top of the greatsword she has. I do wish I had more AoE but that's not really something you can get much of until later in the game aside from burning hands so I'm just making do. The extra HP from level 4 has also made a big difference. I'm trying to save Dror Ragzlin until I hit level 6 because I really want to do the owlbear top rope elbow drop I've seen on Youtube. I don't have a ton of ranged options at this point but Karlach's crossbow and Shadowheart's flame cantrip have been handling it decently.

E: I can't find a definite answer, I know most equipment doesn't work in wildshape but does the Sparkle Hands work for the unarmed attacks in bear form? Long shot but I want to find out because lightning charges would be nice.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 4, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ2myM3KlMk

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Pellisworth posted:

tbh that matches pretty closely with my HM playthrough I think. I did everything but Grymforge and Mountain Pass and got a little over level 5. Grymforge got me just to 6, and Mountain Pass to 7.

Underdark can potentially be harder than the goblin camp BUT it's made much simpler if you know the fights and you can grab Sovereign Glut and have him follow you around with a spore zombie and trivialize the combat in the main Underdark zone. As soon as you can beat the gnolls and access the Zhentarim basement you're good to do the main Underdark zone imo. Enter through the Zhent basement, head directly to the myconid village and recruit Sovereign Glut. He's beefy and hits hard and will follow you everywhere including the top of the Arcane Tower and Booaalll's cavern. If he gets beat up just leave the Underdark and return, he'll heal and show up back in the village waiting for you. He can raise one spore zombie from most any corpse that has something like 80% of its living HP and the same abilities. I raised a minotaur and later a hook horror; other goons have mentioned raising the bulette or even kicking the spider queen down into the Underdark and raising her corpse.

edit: basically you can do Underdark at level 3-4 by grabbing Glut and a spore zombie to effectively have a 6-person party.

Glut has an absolutely brutal Multiattack (for the level) if you can knock an enemy prone.

I'm upset about Glut. I did recruit him and we were running around. Then I saved and left. Came back (Quick Resume) and he was out of the party. I later found his corpse at the Myconid Village. No idea what the gently caress happened there? He was definitely alive when I quit out for the night.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Speedrun is canon obviously

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: I can't find a definite answer, I know most equipment doesn't work in wildshape but does the Sparkle Hands work for the unarmed attacks in bear form? Long shot but I want to find out because lightning charges would be nice.

Unless a thing explicitly says it works with Wild Shape its safe to assume it doesnt.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Trevor Hale posted:

Same thing happened to me because I had spirit guardians on when the fight ended and the conversation starts. It’s still running and so it saps the last hit point and oops

Bonking him is fine, but end all concentration spells before hand

In my playthrough, we were unable to recruit minsc despite having Jahiera in the party. Either because the wrong player talked to him, or because Jaheira was wildshaped at the time and couldn't talk. So we reloaded, did the fight again, and then had me talk to Minsc, and had Jaheira change out of wildshape right before we KO'd him. Seems like that fight is finnicky

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The first time I tried to keep (act 1 spoiler) Alfira alive as a durge, I made the mistake of having Gale whack her with his quarterstaff. it knocked her out but it was the staff that has ensare, and she failed the save and it killed her on the ground :smith:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think my game is hosed, I'm in act 3 underneath the pirate bar and that's where I crashed last time.

Loaded up the game again, it crashed almost immediately.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Thundercracker posted:

The game never tells you this but scrolls and equipment cast off the main casting stat of the last class you multiclass into. Class into Wizard last and you cast spells from staffs on INT.

I know that. That’s why I always specifically tell people to take sorc last so that Cha is your main casting stat. You could make int your main stat instead for that build and take your utility spells from your sorcerer levels I suppose but I don’t like doing that from an optimisation perspective because with the extra point of Cha you can get from the mirror you can end up with 22 CHA after only taking one ASI. If you make Int your main stat you can only end up with 21, unless you take 2 ASIs or use Ethel’s hair.

But now that I think about it, you would actually cast more chain lightnings and things via Int anyway at high level so maybe it is actually better. I’d still probably end up respeccing for optimisation a couple times though - start out pure sorc, swap to wiz/cleric/sorc as soon as I have a scroll of lightning bolt, then respec again at 12.

Thundercracker posted:

Also this game really needs some kind of in-game level planner. I didn't even know fighters get an extra attack at lvl 11

This is what the wiki is for.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tae posted:

I kinda never use non two handers because of dice rolls, what's a minimum range by act 3 to look for?

Dual wielding is better for most of the game arguably, because you can apply your stat bonus damage and damage riders twice effectively; but once you get to a position where you can keep the -5 hit +10 damage effect turned on all the time (you’d want to have risky ring or something) 2handers take over, and they become unambiguously busted once you get balduran’s sword in act 3, since that sword is basically ‘tavern brawler for your weapon’ plus a bunch of other powerful effects.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

OzFactor posted:

realizing i should spoiler this: mid act 3 I just bonked Minsc and got him to join us and then when we left the conversation something happened and he died and Jaheira yelled at me and left. I think maybe there was a delayed damage roll or something...? Is there a safer way to bonk him than to just hit him with a non-lethal melee attack? I had Jaheira Hold Person-ing him the whole fight while we killed everyone else, I should be able to do that again no problem, but maybe I'll let it go before I bonk him the last time?

You have to make sure he doesn’t take damage again after he gets knocked out. He probably got caught by a stray aoe effect.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

JBP posted:

Can anyone explain how a wizard dip works with full warlock? I just want to dip and learn some support spells to make Wyll pact of the blade that can fight in his usual meagre way, but also has access to a bunch of spells like haste. I know I can get haste from archfey but I want fiend for the fighty benefits.

Warlock spells slots are counted separately from other caster classes, but you can still use whichever spell slots you want for whatever spells
You want. So you can use a warlock spell
Slot to upcast a spell you learned as wizard or you can use your wizard slots to cast a spell you learned from warlock if the slots are high enough level.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Jesus, is that really how it works? I thought it would use int for scribed scrolls no matter what :stare: that seems game changing.

It will use int for scribed scrolls. It will use whatever your main casting stat is for spells cast from scrolls (ie, use the scroll to cast the spell, not scribe it and cast from your spell slots.) and spells granted by items.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So visited the creche as a Githyanki and major spoilers You can try to give them the artefact but the Kithrak is unable to keep it because the emperor basically makes her gently caress off from within the prism. Then when you visit the Inquisitor if you produce the artefact Vlaakith just appears and gives you the same speech about entering the prism to kill its occupant. If you try to do that (or even if you don't) when you come back out Worgaz basically reveals to you that Vlaakith was gonna have you killed whether you succeeded or not. I figured that giving them the prism wouldn't actually be a gameover (though a risky move on my part in honour mode since I hadn't tried that before) but it was actually interesting how it changes the framing of the whole thing a bit when Lae'zel and the Githyanki PC have to realize that they were betrayed by Vlaakith.

It is also funny to make the Emperor squirm and I'm sure he will act cold to me the rest of the game given I tried to kill him. But gently caress him anyhow, we're freein Orphy baby.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
https://youtu.be/jJL3lEQKb0w?si=N-_g3b1g6_z3Se_p

Been watching this solo Honour mode run and am super impressed with this approach. Very optimized (no glitches). I didn't realize that pickpocketing could be this easy, I've been sleeping on it hard.

Any idea why he's constantly choosing to be in disguise as a gnome versus his native halfling?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The only mechanical advantage of one disguise over another is for racial-specific items, afaik. For example the Dwarven Thrower hammer in Act 3 will get its dwarf-specific bonuses if you Disguise yourself as a dwarf.

There's also race-specific dialogue but idk why you'd go as a gnome in particular. Could just be aesthetics?

edit: whoops there's also the +1d4 skill checks from the shapeshifter ring. So for minmax you probably want your PC to be disguised as something for that skill bonus. Why you would disguise as one particular combo overr another, idk other than race-specific items.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 4, 2024

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

TraderStav posted:

Any idea why he's constantly choosing to be in disguise as a gnome versus his native halfling?

The shapeshifter's boon is a ring that gives +1d4 on all checks as long as you're disguised, you can get it in act 1 if you kill the strange ox.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

There are gloves that give you +2 dex if you’re a gnome, but I dunno why you’d wear them when the glove slot has so many good choices.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
the legendary gith silver sword you can theoretically get in Act 1 is amazing for a gith-disguised character or you could just give it to Lae'zel

I say theoretical because the % chance to get Voss to drop it is so low you basically have to savescum it. I think it's like a 15% chance to Command: Drop or whatever on him.

edit: it's a +3 greatsword with a special stun ability once per short rest, and if you're a gith it does +1d6 psychic damage, you get psychic resistance and advantage on all mental (int/wis/cha) saving throws

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Silver_Sword_of_the_Astral_Plane

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 4, 2024

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I’m pretty sure they patched out being able to get it in act 1.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

idk if this is a bug or something else i'm missing? Some special attacks triggering two saving throws?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

TraderStav posted:

https://youtu.be/jJL3lEQKb0w?si=N-_g3b1g6_z3Se_p

Been watching this solo Honour mode run and am super impressed with this approach. Very optimized (no glitches). I didn't realize that pickpocketing could be this easy, I've been sleeping on it hard.

Halflings look stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

idk if this is a bug or something else i'm missing? Some special attacks triggering two saving throws?

do you have the tadpole ability that drains ability scores, or do you have some other on-hit effect maybe?