Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Necronomicon posted:

Can anyone tell me I’m not a horrible monster for having a 9 month old still hovering around the 3rd to 5th percentile in weight? Doctors are more than willing to show an enormous amount of “concern” despite the fact that the little guy is thriving and incredibly happy and friendly. Everything besides his weight is fantastic.

Mine was born exactly at (above) the cutoff for "low birth weight" I think also 3rd percentile or some poo poo. She's developing at/above her age pretty consistently

There's a general growth curve, so long as the kid is following it, doesn't matter if it's Y -2 or Y -5

In medicine they have a concept "failure to thrive" sounds like that's not the case with you. So yeah you're not a horrible monster you just have a slightly small kid

My kid is still the second shortest kid in the class despite being the ~4th oldest but is developing at an alarming rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Our daughter was around 5th percentile for a long time and pediatrician did not give a gently caress as long as she was on a steady growth curve. I don’t know why we lead with percentile stats when the rate of change is more insightful and what actually matters

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

nachos posted:

Our daughter was around 5th percentile for a long time and pediatrician did not give a gently caress as long as she was on a steady growth curve. I don’t know why we lead with percentile stats when the rate of change is more insightful and what actually matters

The problem is the growth curves aren't identical for any given percentile; 5% and 95% don't necessarily change at the same rate over time. If you look at the CDC chart for 12 months, 5% is about 18.9 lbs, and 95% is about 27.3. If you look at 24 months, 5% is 23.5 lbs and 95% is about 33.5 lbs. That's a gain of 4.6 lbs for 5% to stay on the curve, but about 6.2 lbs for 95% to stay on the curve.

edit:

So the point is that the percentile serves as your basis of comparison because the rate of change isn't consistent over time. As long as you're not deviating significantly from where you were, you're probably fine.

I would be concerned if the pediatrician was, because they should know this, so I'd think that if they're concerned then there's a good reason. But I would also expect the pediatrician to be able to explain why they are concerned despite maintaining the same percentile between visits.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 3, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You're literally grunting and squatting in-between telling me you don't have to poop. You're no Laurence Olivier.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My kids are small and the only time the pediatrician showed concern was if their growth dropped off the growth curve for their percentile. Both times it was because their milk protein allergy manifested and switching to alimentum got them back.

My youngest drinks a ton of formula and is a pretty good eater yet still hovers in the 11th percentile. Nothing you can do when she’s on the go nonstop.

Praying for my first “pay raise” in a few months if we can get off alimentum and the $$$ it adds to our grocery bills.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah. Finally switching from formula to toddler fruit juice was a nice reduction in costs.

Now if only she would get away from diapers. You love the Poop Songs from pinkfong, just do a potty party yourself when we bring you already :negative:

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

Trying to get our 11mo old off the bottle and using straw cups. I had a straw cup with formula on the counter for him after lunch. Our 3.5y toddler came and swiped it and drank it all without blinking.

I mean to be fair the cup used to be his but like...it tasted like milk to you? Granted I've never tried formula but it smells awful.

Edit: ^what is toddler fruit juice?

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Rufio posted:

Trying to get our 11mo old off the bottle and using straw cups. I had a straw cup with formula on the counter for him after lunch. Our 3.5y toddler came and swiped it and drank it all without blinking.

I mean to be fair the cup used to be his but like...it tasted like milk to you? Granted I've never tried formula but it smells awful.

Edit: ^what is toddler fruit juice?

I've tried multiple formulas, just because I could, and they all have a nasty iron-y/sickly sweet taste to them but little nam digs it so

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
My wife wanted kiwi so I picked some up. My 5 year old tried them and said they were spicy. I said no they’re not, then thought about it and realized I had never eaten a kiwi. So I tried one and holy hell my mouth was on fire.

So anyway my kid and I are both allergic to kiwi I guess. 7 year old isn’t so it’s her new favorite food since she can eat it and her sister can’t.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

You're literally grunting and squatting in-between telling me you don't have to poop. You're no Laurence Olivier.

I'll never forget my daughter at some fairly young age grunting and squatting while signing poop to my mom via a thumbs up (she abbreviated her sign language). All while looking at my mom directly and my mom giving her a thumbs up back and thinking she was signing good and cheering her on.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Ha ha ha holy hell medical bills are a racket. The ER designation tacks a 0+ on the end of the charges for the same procedures the pediatrician does in the other wing of the same building.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Necronomicon posted:

Can anyone tell me I’m not a horrible monster for having a 9 month old still hovering around the 3rd to 5th percentile in weight? Doctors are more than willing to show an enormous amount of “concern” despite the fact that the little guy is thriving and incredibly happy and friendly. We’ve been giving him solid food for the last two months and we’re focusing on calorically dense food - stuff like mascarpone, ricotta, peanut butter mixed with sweet potato and yogurt and etc. We were making good progress for a while but he started popping out his first tooth recently and lost interest in solids almost entirely for the last week. He still nurses frequently (our lactation consultant’s motto was “nurse first, ask questions later”) but given that he’s thriving and happy, is it just a fact of life that some babies are on the smaller end? Everything besides his weight is fantastic.

The thing about percentiles is that someone does actually have to be the low end, or it wouldn't... be that low end. So long as the kiddo is more or less 'on curve' and is otherwise thriving you're doing just fine.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Necronomicon posted:

Can anyone tell me I’m not a horrible monster for having a 9 month old still hovering around the 3rd to 5th percentile in weight? Doctors are more than willing to show an enormous amount of “concern” despite the fact that the little guy is thriving and incredibly happy and friendly. We’ve been giving him solid food for the last two months and we’re focusing on calorically dense food - stuff like mascarpone, ricotta, peanut butter mixed with sweet potato and yogurt and etc. We were making good progress for a while but he started popping out his first tooth recently and lost interest in solids almost entirely for the last week. He still nurses frequently (our lactation consultant’s motto was “nurse first, ask questions later”) but given that he’s thriving and happy, is it just a fact of life that some babies are on the smaller end? Everything besides his weight is fantastic.

Not monster.

Ours was in the tens through the first ten months and then suddenly jumped way up over two months. Nothing really major changed in her diet. She was breastfed. And even though the doctor said everything was fine, my partner understandably was stressing anytime her percentile went down a little bit. As if it was her failure that baby didn't pack on pounds at the right speed.

Baby growth is a mystery.

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 4, 2024

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Thanks all. Little guy has been consistently between
3-5% all his life and still growing at a steady clip, so it’s not like there are any new issues that are popping up. I think there’s just too much data tracking everywhere that can get under my skin now and then.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My preschooler’s thing right now is volcanoes. She brought a baking soda volcano to school for show and tell and has been asked to bring it back for the other class tomorrow now because it was a big hit with hers.

There are few things on earth as awesome as the smile of a kid who feels proud of herself. :3:

Apparently she spent like 10 min straight babbling about Krakatoa before my wife got her to focus on actually setting the thing off. :lol:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Daughter, 9.

*eats three adult sized servings of pasta*, skips the kale. I eat a lot myself so this is a 9 year old eating almost as much as I do, a 6' 195 ish lb adult.

20 minutes later: I'm hungry! :argh:

No kid, I don't think you are.

Guess we're going to need to find a dietician asap because she doesn't seem to have or understand self control when eating. Like she's the kid that will eat and eat indefinitely.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Anyone have tips on how to teach a kid to roll with the punches a bit? Tonight at gymnastics, my 5yo son mistakenly introduced himself to someone else as his sister ("Hi, my name is <sister's name>"). Other kids laughed because it was a funny mistake. My son cried for a solid 15 minutes and wouldn't participate in class because he was so embarrassed.

I understand the embarrassment, but I don't know how to coach him on the fact that it's not a big deal. He can just laugh with everyone, say "Oops. My mistake. My name is actually <his name>." and move on.

Our daughter can be like this as well, so it could be genetic predisposition to having overly sensitive emotions. I know I used to cry at little things when I was a kid, and my wife still takes things too personally at times. I'm struggling with the best approach on coaching him to have "thicker skin" while also not trying to have him bottle his emotions in a bad way.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

From like 9-11 I would wolf down two big Mac's at McDonald's and ask for more

I was beanpole skinny and grew over a foot in those two years. I'm not crazy tall as an adult, but at the beginning of 6th grade I was the tallest kid in school. Was done growing by age 13

My kid alternates between not hardly touching food, then will inhale 6-10 chicken nuggets per meal for a month and grow an inch or two

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Anyone have tips on how to teach a kid to roll with the punches a bit?

I'll have to look at some specific resources but the general search term for this is emotion coaching, it's a subset of emotion focused therapy, which is a paradigm born out of Sue Johnsons work doing pattern breaking in couples counseling and has been expanded to a whole ton of other things, most usefully in the form of teaching parents to help their kids break troublesome emotional spirals like what your kiddo experienced.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Daughter, 9.

*eats three adult sized servings of pasta*, skips the kale. I eat a lot myself so this is a 9 year old eating almost as much as I do, a 6' 195 ish lb adult.

20 minutes later: I'm hungry! :argh:

No kid, I don't think you are.

Guess we're going to need to find a dietician asap because she doesn't seem to have or understand self control when eating. Like she's the kid that will eat and eat indefinitely.

Yeah I'd be careful about learning too hard on this. Kids are experiencing really extreme and different metabolic demands than adults just by existing. Don't use yourself as a baseline. They're also experimenting with food too and learning about their body's reaction to it.

The emotional connection and relationship to food is more important to watch than the input quantity imo.

If you want to practice pacing though, the trick is to do a whole bunch of different plates and try to have conversation too. Basically anything to draw out a meal (multiple refills, multiple courses, stopping between bites to talk and answer questions) so that that feeling of fullness can develop.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Necronomicon posted:

Thanks all. Little guy has been consistently between
3-5% all his life and still growing at a steady clip, so it’s not like there are any new issues that are popping up. I think there’s just too much data tracking everywhere that can get under my skin now and then.

My son was born in the 11th percentile for weight, tracked down to the 1st percentile and has mostly stayed there. He’s 8 now. He’s just a skinny little dude. Far too tall for a car seat but he only just crested 50 pounds like 3 months ago so it was kind of iffy having him only in the seat belt because he technically wasn’t heavy enough. All the men on my wife’s side are like 5’7” and 150 pounds wet. I see babies and I think “what a chubby little baby” and then remember they’re probably in the middle of the range and my perspective is just skewed lol.

But he’s healthy and thriving. He’s just gonna be the next Timothee Chalamet I think.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

How about just "no" or "I don't want to" instead of a hellish, gutteral wail of protest?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah I'd be careful about learning too hard on this. Kids are experiencing really extreme and different metabolic demands than adults just by existing. Don't use yourself as a baseline. They're also experimenting with food too and learning about their body's reaction to it.

The emotional connection and relationship to food is more important to watch than the input quantity imo.

If you want to practice pacing though, the trick is to do a whole bunch of different plates and try to have conversation too. Basically anything to draw out a meal (multiple refills, multiple courses, stopping between bites to talk and answer questions) so that that feeling of fullness can develop.

I agree fully(we don't want to push), we've literally never had this happen until this year. I do expect puberty to change things but we aren't going to take her to a dietician, just consult with one privately.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 5, 2024

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My son ate every bite of a 2lb chicken pot pie that the box said feeds a family of 4 when he was 2 years old. Kids can be crazy with food sometimes but as long as there aren't obvious signs of gaining unhealthy weight I wouldn't worry about overeating at all.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Riven posted:

I see babies and I think “what a chubby little baby” and then remember they’re probably in the middle of the range and my perspective is just skewed lol.

I get the reverse of this. Our first three were all over 4kg (95 odd percentile) at birth, while the fourth was 'only' 3.3kg (50ish percentile), so she's the 'little' one.

She also threw us by coming at 39 weeks, while the others were 41 and a couple days. My wife had only started maternity leave three days before, cos we thought we had two more weeks. I had to run out and buy little baby clothes because we didn't have anything small enough for her.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 5 year old was really pissed because I lost my voice and he thought I was doing it on purpose and I wouldn't stop.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cute but hard - my kid got a bunch of doctor and dentist playset stuff for Xmas which she absolutely loves. Today I woke up with the worst migraine I've had in a long time and was just throwing up and stuff and had to get my mom to come help me get my daughter to school and get me to the hospital etc. My daughter kept trying to give me shots with the toy syringes and stuff and asking me "Mama, much better?"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We're trialing a sleepover at Grandma's house tonight for the older offspring.

We're getting ready to go to bed for 6pm lmao

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm gonna move the bassinet to his room and sleep in his bed with the baby, then do a handoff at 3am to try and maximize parental sleep. Baby sleeps like poo poo in general and he's been extra cranky lately so our nights are hellish. Gonna make the best of this that we can.

The 3am handoff means I expect Grandpa to be at our front door at 3am with an upset child who misses mommy and daddy.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Has anyone ever had to wean a kid who has been nursing for an extended time? My 2.5 year old is still nursing 2-3 times a day (mostly before bedtime, in the am and sometimes when we come home from school) and I don't really want to force her to stop but I'm finding out there are not many options for migraine treatment and prevention if we keep nursing. I feel really awful about this whole situation.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
We only nursed to sleep at night by then, but I used the 3rd birthday as a milestone for being a big boy now (you're gonna start making permanent memories and I'd hate for it to need therapy) so maybe glow up a half birthday celebration for them. We transitioned to "arm around cuddle" which is side lying nursing position / maybe arm under head but without the boobs out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Somebody activated my kids' proximity strike modes and they just keep hitting each other or anyone that gets in their zone of influence. It's been maddening.

We pretty much ended up having an impromptu peace circle of sorts and then moments later my daughter turned and hit my son on the head while they were on the freaking stairs together

I'm just trying to live man

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Bed time took me an hour and a half last night, trying a new Carrot method (bribery) with the 3 year old.

I placed 3 quarters on his bookshelf and said “Every time you get out of bed for a hug or for a water, you have to pay me a quarter. If you come into my room and wake me up and it’s not an emergency then you lose all your quarters.” He was excited and promised to stay in bed and purchase trucks and candy.

After an hour he had used up two quarters and then finally stayed in bed. I got out of there at 10:15.

He woke me up at 3:00 and I took his last quarter away and put him back to bed.

He woke me up again at 6:30 and demanded that he use the potty. I said sure let’s do it and it started a huge tantrum where he refused to use the potty. Now he’s technically at -1 quarters but I’m not going to put a toddler into debt don’t worry.

I got so upset. The sheer injustice of being woken up by someone angrily telling you they need to do something, then refusing to do so.

I changed his diaper anyway while he screamed and then he calmed down. I think he was trying to tell me his diaper was too wet (probably because he kept getting out of bed to drink loving water) but lacked the appropriate phrasing early in the morning.

I couldn’t go back to sleep so I crashed on his floor and then when his Green Light went off at 7:15 I made his rear end get up. Going to skip his nap today too. If he wants to keep me up all night I’m going to keep him up all day and tire him out.

Out of frustration this morning I also introduced the Stick - if he wakes me up at night he loses all quarters and also doesn’t get to watch TV the next day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

space uncle posted:

. Now he’s technically at -1 quarters but I’m not going to put a toddler into debt

Never to early to learn the lessons of debtors prison

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

hallo spacedog posted:

Has anyone ever had to wean a kid who has been nursing for an extended time? My 2.5 year old is still nursing 2-3 times a day (mostly before bedtime, in the am and sometimes when we come home from school) and I don't really want to force her to stop but I'm finding out there are not many options for migraine treatment and prevention if we keep nursing. I feel really awful about this whole situation.

Don't have any advice on weaning, but you might double check that the relevant doctors are up-to-date on their knowledge of treatment options (the mention of going to the ER for treatment makes me worry that you're someplace that's still doing opioids as first-line for migraines, which is largely considered ineffective now). Not a medical professional, but my wife suffers from migraines as well, and neurologist/OB/pediatrician were all fine with proponalol for prophylaxis and triptans for treatment the whole way through pregnancy, and LactMed has broadly positive things to say about CGRP inhibitors (Aimovig and Nurtec ODT were the entries we were considered with) after newborn stage, so if possible might be worth seeing if you can check w/ a neurologist or similar who's been following the literature.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rabidbunnylover posted:

Don't have any advice on weaning, but you might double check that the relevant doctors are up-to-date on their knowledge of treatment options (the mention of going to the ER for treatment makes me worry that you're someplace that's still doing opioids as first-line for migraines, which is largely considered ineffective now). Not a medical professional, but my wife suffers from migraines as well, and neurologist/OB/pediatrician were all fine with proponalol for prophylaxis and triptans for treatment the whole way through pregnancy, and LactMed has broadly positive things to say about CGRP inhibitors (Aimovig and Nurtec ODT were the entries we were considered with) after newborn stage, so if possible might be worth seeing if you can check w/ a neurologist or similar who's been following the literature.

The ER which is actually an emergency urgent care that Kaiser has, will give a combo of an antiemetic like reglan or zofran, with Benadryl and Ketorolac in fluids which usually works for me very well. I've never had an opioid to treat a migraine. Sadly Propranolol does not work at all for me. I use sertraline daily and sumatriptan in response to migraines and if I can't keep that down zofran too but sometimes it's too bad for me to treat at home and nothing works, like yesterday. I will ask my GP about the aimovig and nurtec though because my neurologist is broadly useless.

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 6, 2024

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

jabby posted:

So my three-year-old is sick right now and the anxiety that comes from being a doctor parent is crippling me.

This is a dang old post, but I wanted to respond with a few thoughts in case they might be helpful. Years ago I was a critical care registered nurse before later changing careers, and for the most part I'd forgotten the horror-show memories that came along with hospital/nurse life--until I had a baby.

My daughter had to go to the NICU immediately after being born because her breathing was rapid and weak. I was having an absolute meltdown because I KNEW the ICU is where you go to die, and that's where she was going. Somehow the postpartum team found out I'd been a nurse, and had the actually-brilliant idea of having the attending doctor come and calm me down. He told me something I've never forgotten:

quote:

You're scared because your patients are adults, and adults don't do very well in a hospital. But kids get better--they bounce back. What's happening to your daughter isn't what you're used to seeing, so try not to see it the same way.

For whatever reason that's exactly what I needed to hear, and I still think of him saying that to me when my kiddo gets sick. Obviously nothing can fully remove this kind of fear, especially when we know too much and start thinking of all the horrible things that could be wrong, and ESPECIALLY on day 3 of vomiting and misery.

In any case I hope that's at least a little helpful.

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

hallo spacedog posted:

The ER which is actually an emergency urgent care that Kaiser has, will give a combo of an antiemetic like reglan or zofran, with Benadryl and Ketorolac in fluids which usually works for me very well. I've never had an opioid to treat a migraine. Sadly Propranolol does not work at all for me. I use sertraline daily and sumatriptan in response to migraines and if I can't keep that down zofran too but sometimes it's too bad for me to treat at home and nothing works, like yesterday. I will ask my GP about the aimovig and nurtec though because my neurologist is broadly useless.

Ah, that makes sense re: the IVs - just triggered bad memories from Austin hospitals circa 2008 when they kept trying to ineffectively treat with opioids. Glad it's something more reasonable in your case!

CGRP inhibitors have been pretty life-changing for Mrs. Rabidbunnylover and a couple other chronic migraine suffers we know. I'm not entirely sure how Kaiser handles them - they're mostly still super expensive since they're new, so we've had to fight with Anthem for authorization a couple of times, although the manufacturers are pretty good about discounting to basically $0 for the first few months so you can see if it works before fighting with the insurance company.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rabidbunnylover posted:

Ah, that makes sense re: the IVs - just triggered bad memories from Austin hospitals circa 2008 when they kept trying to ineffectively treat with opioids. Glad it's something more reasonable in your case!

CGRP inhibitors have been pretty life-changing for Mrs. Rabidbunnylover and a couple other chronic migraine suffers we know. I'm not entirely sure how Kaiser handles them - they're mostly still super expensive since they're new, so we've had to fight with Anthem for authorization a couple of times, although the manufacturers are pretty good about discounting to basically $0 for the first few months so you can see if it works before fighting with the insurance company.

Thanks, I reached out to my Dr about this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
3 year old on a solid run of good sleep? 5 month old gotta start sleeping like poo poo.