Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

How do the chuds rationalize Trump’s visits to child rape island?

A couple ways-
"He was visiting to gather evidence for his fight against the Deep State!"

"He just went a couple time for a real estate deal"

"He never went"/"They lie"/"That's Fake"/"He wouldn't do that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bulletsponge13 posted:

A couple ways-
"He was visiting to gather evidence for his fight against the Deep State!"

"He just went a couple time for a real estate deal"

"He never went"/"They lie"/"That's Fake"/"He wouldn't do that"

"Nuh-uh"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

Unless new evidence has come to light, Trump didn't go there.

Disagree, OP.

I’m pretty sure that he’s been to Great Britain.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Godholio posted:

Not exactly Israel's usual tactic.

Unless new evidence has come to light, Trump didn't go there.

They need a distraction from their activities and wasn’t this guy meddling in Israel?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

Feels like it could be a Moscow apartment bombing situation, Khameini stepped in it big time the other day by flirting with calling himself a prophet, plus elections are coming up.

https://www.iranintl.com/en/202401029230

this is a saudi propaganda channel that broadcasts into iran but it's influential there

I have two questions. Is declaring yourself a prophet heresy in Shia Islam? Is heresy even a thing in Shia Islam?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Considering one of Mohamed's titles was"Seal of the Prophets"... Its against any sort of Islam that refers to the Quran.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

habituallyred posted:

Considering one of Mohamed's titles was"Seal of the Prophets"... Its against any sort of Islam that refers to the Quran.

last_prophet_v5_final_imeanitthistime

I think “seal of the prophets” has only been reversed once between Christianity and Islam but I’m not 100% on that one?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

It’s less of a big deal that he called himself a prophet but it would have been way worse had he referred to himself as the Mahdi or the 12th Imam.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

legally is there anything preventing Biden from forcing the changes through or ordering the people running DEA to do so under threat of dismissal?

Legislatures legislate by making laws. The Executive (President) executes, or carries out, those laws.
The legislature passed a law said Marijuana is a schedule I drug.
Changing laws is the job of the legislature. The executive can't change laws.
However, when the legislature passed the law that said Marijuana is a schedule I drug, the legislature included a process that gave some authority to the executive that allowed the executive to change what schedule a drug was in (rescheduling) or to remove a drug from the schedules (descheduling)
IFF the executive followes the rules that the legislature made in the law about how to reschedule or deschedule, the executive can reschedule or deschedule a drug.

This practice of the legislature giving authority to the executive to administer their execution of the Legislatures laws happens A LOT.
The idea behind it is that the legislature are not the experts of everything they make laws about, but the executive, whose employees administer those laws are the subject matter experts. (at least more than the legislature)
So, the legislature often gives the executive some wiggle room to work with, granting the executive permission to short-circuit the process of having to go back to the legislature to get the legislature to fine-tune its legislation.
So often the executive gets to fine-tune the laws the legislature gives the executive, and the changes don't need to go to the legislature and be debated and voted on, IFF the executive basically 'shows its work' as to why it needs to modify or clarify or fine-tune a law.

It's the showing the work part that is a monumental and slow pain in the butt. Just like legislation by the legislature, these changes/modifications/clarifications in how the executive administers those laws is subject to notice, debate, comment by the public and by subject matter experts, hearings, amendment, more notice, comment, etc.

This process is continually occurring, on thousands or tens of thousands of proposed changes. Nobody's pet project gets to go to the front of the line.
Not following the process gets the courts involved, taking up even more time.

It's like Kay explaining to Jay that there's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague, it's just that nobody cares enough about it until it's something they want.

Want a law changed the right way, the quick way? That's what Congress is (supposed to be) for.
Failing that, sometimes there's a slow way. With drug schedules, there is a way. Rescheduling is the slow way, descheduling is the slower way.

Dictatorships are very responsive. As Trump learned, the US isn't (yet) one.
Dont want to go to the legislature? Want to go the short-circuit the legislature route instead? Pull up a chair.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Meanwhile in Vegas

https://twitter.com/lasvegaslocally/status/1742670392849060162?s=46

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

that was a p good dive

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

that was a p good dive

This wouldn’t have happened in P Barnes’ courthouse though

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

A little bit longer version
https://youtu.be/mS5exubqhbo?si=eB-l4NOKtTjnAc_l

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Holy cow hope he’s getting the help he needs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Apparently the blue suit guy is the defense attorney?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Apparently the blue suit guy is the defense attorney?

That's my guess.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pantslesswithwolves posted:

lol he wouldn't have made it half a step

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

U-DO Burger posted:

The year is 2024. Lowtax is dead and Caro is a multimillionnaire

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

God's not here. I am.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

This is the weirdest fuckin timeline.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Japan is just having a terrible 2024 so far. Yesterday a large fire broke out in a very popular restaurant district (thankfully no one was hurt or killed) https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/society/general-news/20240103-159688/,

Today there was a mass stabbing in akihabara https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/four-apparently-stabbed-train-station-tokyo-nhk-2024-01-03/ which also thankfully had no deaths or serious injuries

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Japan's not the only ones:

quote:

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea’s main opposition leader is recovering well from surgery after being stabbed in the neck earlier this week, his doctor said Thursday, as police seek a formal arrest warrant to extend the suspect’s custody.

Lee Jae-myung, head of the liberal Democratic Party, South Korea’s biggest political party, was stabbed by a knife-wielding man who approached him asking for his autograph at an event in the southeastern city of Busan on Tuesday. The man was immediately detained by police.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Vindication: immediate, uncomfortable, and vigorous.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

Extra long version:

https://youtu.be/-wQInf23DOo?si=6xFNMC7RWJbW3jrs

From NYT:

quote:

A man who had been denied probation attacked a judge during his sentencing in a Nevada courtroom on Wednesday in a violent episode that was captured on video.

The man, Deobra Redden, 30, was in court in Las Vegas for a sentencing hearing on Wednesday morning after pleading guilty to attempted battery with substantial bodily harm, a spokeswoman for the Eighth Judicial District Court said in a statement on Wednesday.

In a video of the hearing, which circulated widely on social media, Mr. Redden is seen leaping over a courtroom bench onto Judge Mary Kay Holthus, sending flags behind the bench falling to the ground. The bench blocks the view of Judge Holthus and Mr. Redden for a few moments in the video as cursing is heard in the background. Seconds later, three men are seen trying to subdue Mr. Redden while also repeatedly punching him.

Judge Holthus, 62, was injured, and her condition was being monitored, the court spokeswoman said. A court marshal was also injured and taken to a hospital, where he was believed to be in stable condition, the spokeswoman said.
“We commend the heroic acts of her staff, law enforcement, and all others who subdued the defendant,” the Eighth Judicial District Court said in a statement. “The court remains committed to a safe and secure courthouse and courtrooms. We are reviewing all our protocols and will do whatever is necessary to protect the judiciary, the public and our employees.

Judge Holthus and a lawyer for Mr. Redden did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Wednesday.

The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said that detectives were investigating a battery at the courthouse on Wednesday morning. In a statement that did not identify anyone involved in the attack, the Police Department said that two victims were taken to the University Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening, and that the suspect was in custody.

Just before Mr. Redden leaped over the bench, his lawyer asked Judge Holthus to sentence Mr. Redden to probation.

“I appreciate that, but I think it’s time he get a taste of something else,” Judge Holthus said before continuing with her sentencing.
“I just can’t with that history,” Judge Holthus said, appearing to refer to Mr. Redden’s criminal background.

Court records show that Mr. Redden previously spent time in prison, including in 2015 when he was sentenced a minimum of 19 months for attempted theft. Mr. Redden served time in 2021 for domestic battery, according to Nevada Department of Corrections records.

Judge Holthus took the bench in Clark County in January 2019, after working with the Clark County District Attorney’s Office for more than 27 years, according to the Eighth Judicial District Court.

Before entering a Clark County courtroom, visitors are screened for weapons and other illegal items, according to the Eighth Judicial District Court’s rules. Visitors are also asked to sit quietly in the courtroom.

Courthouses typically have some security, and in some instances, security guards have also been subjected to attacks. Last year, a man was sentenced to 46 months in prison for assaulting a court security officer at the Lloyd D. George Federal Courthouse in Las Vegas in 2022, according to the Justice Department.

Vortex Street fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 4, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
these dudes have a hilarious amount of balls

https://twitter.com/alanfeuer/status/1742921968578629804?t=J-PJ1dfMzwHiCV4OnDTq9w&s=19

Or Donnie was convinced he found another I WIN button and forced them to push the button clearly labelled KICK SELF IN BALLS

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

these dudes have a hilarious amount of balls

https://twitter.com/alanfeuer/status/1742921968578629804?t=J-PJ1dfMzwHiCV4OnDTq9w&s=19

Or Donnie was convinced he found another I WIN button and forced them to push the button clearly labelled KICK SELF IN BALLS

Help me out here legal goons.

I assumed that a stay is for the trial itself, not the work that happens in the background. Is that understanding correct?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Has the Epstein list come out yet? I'm confused.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I heard it had been delayed to the 20th or later.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Has the Epstein list come out yet? I'm confused.

It’s the unredacted flight logs and depositions, there isn’t really as much info as people expected in the logs. A lot of the names are just initials, though comically at random there are entries for “PRESIDENT CLINTON” and “ALAN DERSHOWITZ”.

Al Gore shows up briefly but the deposition says:
https://twitter.com/marionawfal/status/1742717201340080157?s=46

And then we have:
https://twitter.com/razisardar/status/1742718668684100078?s=46

Other billionaires hate Trump so that follows.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looking like the Soleimani funeral site bombing was ISIS and not Israel!

https://twitter.com/semafor/status/1742949054382743619?t=DveCJctqQFjvctgMHMnoxg&s=19

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

facialimpediment posted:

Looking like the Soleimani funeral site bombing was ISIS and not Israel!

https://twitter.com/semafor/status/1742949054382743619?t=DveCJctqQFjvctgMHMnoxg&s=19

Not surprised. If Iran had even the slightest suspicion it was Israel they would've said so very loudly by now.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

Help me out here legal goons.

I assumed that a stay is for the trial itself, not the work that happens in the background. Is that understanding correct?

NBC says you're right and Donnie's full of poo poo:

quote:

But in that order, Chutkan made clear that the deadlines were merely "held in abeyance" rather than permanently vacated and noted that the purpose of the stay was for the benefit of Trump's team, so as not to "impose additional burdens of litigation" on Trump as he pursued the appeal.

There was nothing in the order that barred federal prosecutors from continuing to proactively provide discovery or file motions even though the deadlines were lifted.

Chutkan explicitly raised the possibility that she would "retain" deadlines if the appeals court rejects Trump's presidential immunity claim.

“If jurisdiction is returned to this court, it will — consistent with its duty to ensure both a speedy trial and fairness for all parties —consider at that time whether to retain or continue the dates of any still-future deadlines and proceedings, including the trial scheduled for March 4, 2024," Chutkan wrote.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not surprised. If Iran had even the slightest suspicion it was Israel they would've said so very loudly by now.

not that i believe them, but the iranian president publicly accused israel of being behind the attack. i haven't seen them provide evidence to back it up, but it is the official line

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Isn’t it to the defense’s benefit that the prosecution keeps filing while the stay is in place?

The stay isn’t like a stop work order. It’s not forbidden for either side to spend time on their case. So the alternative that Donnie is ostensibly asking for would have the prosecution still working in the background and, if Trump lost on the immunity argument, the prosecution would have a backlog of material to file in short order.

This would clearly be worse for the defense than the prosecution submitting documents as they go.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Have you considered that donny is a loving moron and no reputable firms want to be associated with him?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t it to the defense’s benefit that the prosecution keeps filing while the stay is in place?

The stay isn’t like a stop work order. It’s not forbidden for either side to spend time on their case. So the alternative that Donnie is ostensibly asking for would have the prosecution still working in the background and, if Trump lost on the immunity argument, the prosecution would have a backlog of material to file in short order.

This would clearly be worse for the defense than the prosecution submitting documents as they go.

With nothing filed the next objection would be that obviously the Prosecution was working in violation of the prior order, so they need extra time to respond to the "headstart" that the government received. They would then ask to extend the trial schedule to accommodate this period or something like that. It's really loving stupid but that's my read.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

There needs to be a limit on the number of appeals one plaintiff can make in a year so people like Trump can't endlessly go ME NO LIKE RULING ME WANT STALL to avoid justice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There is. He can’t appeal every interlocutory decision from a criminal trial. Gag orders (because they’re injunctive in nature) and stuff like immunity are the only things he can appeal right now. The rest must way until post-judgment.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is. He can’t appeal every interlocutory decision from a criminal trial. Gag orders (because they’re injunctive in nature) and stuff like immunity are the only things he can appeal right now. The rest must way until post-judgment.

I think a better phrasing would be "The court won't accept any appeals other than..." because this is Trump. Pretty sure before this is done he's going to file an appeal for the color of fringe on the flags. He *can* do whatever the gently caress he wants and probably will because his narcissism leaves him with a very tenuous attachment to reality, then it's on every one else to deny those actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1743264127995326644?t=uu20sAuhXdDwql-GbTinNg&s=19

"Good jobs report and why that's bad news for Joe Biden," the MSM almost certainly