Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

nemesis_hub posted:

How's Lair of the Clockwork God?

It's an adventure game that's very adventure gamey

And British.

If you like both of those things, it's very brill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
This sale I bought:

Jagged Alliance 3 - weird difficulty spikes and balacing aside, it's still a good game. I love all the banter and incidental dialogue your characters get, they're all absolute doofuses and I love them.

Baldur's Gate 3 - despite my reservations wrt Larian design choices and D&D 5e as a system, I'm still having a blast and Larian's improvements on the most mid system ever are very welcome. The reactivity and presentation is off the charts.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - the idea of playing essentially D&D 3.5 is 😬 but I like the presentation and the idea of the mythic paths is really appealing.

Spelldisk - kind of cheating since it wasn't actually on sale but it's just as good as everyone says.

Death May Die - awful writing aside the game shows a lot of promise and it's cheap so might as well

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
my theory on the ludicrous results of the steam game awards is that steam is full of children even if you can't tell it is, and children are dumb as hell

credburn posted:

Hey gang, has there been like an upswell in interest in Oblivion lately? I only ask because I'm seeing some screenshots around here (not really unusual) but a friend of mine who normally doesn't talk much about games has been asking me all sorts of questions about Oblivion. I suspect there is a trend happening.

It may be because there is reportedly a remake/remaster in the works.

e: Also I am really enjoying Lost In Random which I got a key for for $2.99 (!!!) on Amazon. I just love stop-motion style in video games and the overall style owes an incredible amount to The Nightmare Before Christmas and similar stuff, which I'm also a fan of. The gameplay is a bit stiff perhaps, but style and story take it a long way.

Play fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 4, 2024

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the information on the 2k launcher, hopefully this fixes it. I have tried everything else and I have a 3080, so hopefully I see better performance now.

edit: Okay, that basically fixed it, I had a couple of stutters when I started out, but they went away, so thanks!

The main game I have been playing though from the sale is Rimworld, that game is like crack.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 4, 2024

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Turns out I have been friends with people before I was born.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Didn't end up getting much from my wishlist this sale even though most of it was discounted, too many titles in the backlog already to justify spending much more. Still grabbed Jusant since it looks like a short but solid execution of a unique concept, and STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN which may or may not be a dumb meme of a game. It looks like it's maybe good even though you play as anime Fred Durst? Have to play it to be sure, while Baldur's Gate 3 sits in the "I'll get to it" pile.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Can you tell that I just got a Steam Deck?

I think I've got one final round of games to buy tonight, I really want Rain World so I may as well spend another 100 bucks

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN which may or may not be a dumb meme of a game. It looks like it's maybe good even though you play as anime Fred Durst? Have to play it to be sure,
It is sincerely good and fun as hell

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

it might be good but I refuse to consider it a final fantasy game

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

As a certified Cutscene & Dialog Hater, Stranger of Paradise spoke to me on a level no other Final Fantasy game could

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

As a certified Cutscene & Dialog Hater, Stranger of Paradise spoke to me on a level no other Final Fantasy game could

I am a certified Cutscene & Dialog lover, so I use this as evidence to stand behind my previous statement.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's the final fantasy origin story

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Get this: its cutscenes and dialogue are very entertaining. Big tent gaming.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I like the one where he swears

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Chadzok posted:

I think I've got one final round of games to buy tonight, I really want Rain World so I may as well spend another 100 bucks

Ok I'm finished now. loving ridiculous, I'll never play all these games.

But maybe I will

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

GreenBuckanneer posted:

it might be good but I refuse to consider it a final fantasy game

Its ff af hth

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Get this: its cutscenes and dialogue are very entertaining. Big tent gaming.

Jack is the best Final Fantasy protagonist because he skips through the dialog on my behalf

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN which may or may not be a dumb meme of a game. It looks like it's maybe good even though you play as anime Fred Durst? Have to play it to be sure, while Baldur's Gate 3 sits in the "I'll get to it" pile.

not a meme. it's actually good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can confirm that Stranger of Paradise is actually really good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Chadzok posted:

But maybe I will

Ooh! Fez is really, really good, but you gotta power through the first 5 minute introduction which is kinda slow. Takes off like a rocket after that, very hard to put down. Go play it now!!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've just noticed a steam page for an Everhood sequel!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1984020/Everhood_2/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chadzok posted:

The Room series is good, Sprawl is solid (though not as crazy as Turbo Overkill), the Golden Idol DLC is good, Chants of Sennaar is good, Taiji is good, Rayman Origins is good, Paranormasight is good, Pizza Tower is good

you have made good choices

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Turbo Overkill was one of my GOTYs.

the steam deck has made whole new categories of genres extremely exciting for me to buy and play. I am super hype for many of the games I bought

Serephina posted:

Ooh! Fez is really, really good, but you gotta power through the first 5 minute introduction which is kinda slow. Takes off like a rocket after that, very hard to put down. Go play it now!!

I'll play it shortly and report back

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

Owl Inspector posted:

I've just noticed a steam page for an Everhood sequel!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1984020/Everhood_2/

this could be cool but im pretty bummed because i was thinking it was going to be a neverhood sequel

e: actually on further investigation i do know this everhood game actually and just didnt know the name

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Neverhoods creator should never be allowed to make games/be rich/evangelize
I'm sad he directed a great episode of adventure time

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Live forever Klayman.

Also Willie Trombone and Hoborg.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bobthenameless posted:

this could be cool but im pretty bummed because i was thinking it was going to be a neverhood sequel

e: actually on further investigation i do know this everhood game actually and just didnt know the name

This is one of those games I always wanted to play but never did, and its not available on Steam or GoG.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
There are guides on Reddit to getting it to run in ScummVM if you have a copy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSGk1bQ9rcU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

shame about the author's brainworms

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

ugh if they remake Oblivion I would be so disappointed. It is the worst TES game to remake because so little of it is exceptional outside of its era. Even Arena would be more interesting to see done with contemporary tech much less everything great about Morrowind. Hell I'd rather see Skyrim get an updated renderer.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Turns out I have been friends with people before I was born.

Nice

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN which may or may not be a dumb meme of a game. It looks like it's maybe good even though you play as anime Fred Durst?

It is good specifically because you play as anime Fred Durst.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Chadzok posted:

But maybe I will

Please play Signalis.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Who is Fred Durst?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

StrixNebulosa posted:

Who is Fred Durst?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeUCZIoU81A

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I finally got around to reviewing Vermintide 2. I can't believe it took me this long.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/656549/recommended/552500/

quote:

This review is long, long overdue. I could simply point to the number of hours I've played this game and leave it at that, but I'll try to put in a little more effort. I've been a big fan of first-person melee games ever since Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours into titles like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare over the years, so when I saw footage of Vermintide 2 back in 2018 I was immediately intrigued, despite not having played the first game. I resolved to try it out to see if it was as good as it looked.

I vividly remember struggling a bit at first, with memorizing the map layouts and book locations, dealing with specials during hordes, figuring out the best way to defeat specific bosses, and learning the hard way that I should be wary of getting stabbed from behind by little ambient rats when I least expect it (there's always at least one). I often got frustrated, mostly with myself. Still, despite having a demanding job at the time, I persevered, and soon enough I was playing on Legend difficulty with relative ease (we now usually play on Cataclysm, albeit without taking books). This might sound a little dramatic, but I can say without exaggerating that I had many of my all-time best gaming moments while playing this game. There's just something special about forming a line or circle with your teammates, and then staying mobile as you're fighting a horde, elites (possibly a whole patrol), and a boss at the same time, all while hearing the menacing, telltale sounds of several specials approaching. You get into 'the zone', your muscle memory takes over, and you and your comrades get to experience that very satisfying, visceral sensation of power as you slaughter hundreds and hundreds of enemies while remaining mostly unscathed yourselves.

Summarized, this is a very specific sort of game, almost in its own genre, as it is both co-op and mostly melee-based. It's not going to be for everyone. You have to decide for yourself if it is something that speaks to your preferences. I got lucky in the sense that Vermintide 2 seems almost tailor-made for me, and I happened to make some very good friends while playing it - you know who you are. Fatshark are also known for their occasionally baffling, counterintuitive, or poorly implemented design choices and balance changes, so keep that in mind.
However, for these same reasons, if the game does end up clicking with you, it's a completely unique and intoxicating experience, like nothing you've ever played before. That's why I would ultimately recommend that you check it out if you're on the fence, unless you already know for certain that this style of gameplay doesn't appeal to your sensibilities at all.

Some people would be embarrassed at having such a silly game be one of their all-time favorites, but I have no shame.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I finally got around to reviewing Vermintide 2. I can't believe it took me this long.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/656549/recommended/552500/

Some people would be embarrassed at having such a silly game be one of their all-time favorites, but I have no shame.

If you like what Vermintide is trying to do the game is great and really fun. The only game that has scratched the same itch for me is Darktide because I prefer the mix between melee and ranged a lot more than just melee with a bit of ranged of Vermintide.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm the opposite - I like Darktide, or at least I do now after a year's worth of patches, but it's just not the same as Vermintide. I really, really enjoy going apeshit in these melee games, probably mostly due to my ADHD brain.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Is this the "general PC gaming thread" enough to ask about stuff like a gaming desk? If not, is there a semi-active thread for that sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phlegmish posted:

I'm the opposite - I like Darktide, or at least I do now after a year's worth of patches, but it's just not the same as Vermintide. I really, really enjoy going apeshit in these melee games, probably mostly due to my ADHD brain.

Same. Darktide is fun but it just didn't quite grab me or the group I played through Vermintide 1/2 with the same way.

Akratic Method posted:

Is this the "general PC gaming thread" enough to ask about stuff like a gaming desk? If not, is there a semi-active thread for that sort of thing?

I picked this desk up from Ikea after I got sick of buying so many cheap lovely particle board desks from Amazon that never quite fit everything, and it's really fantastic. Solid as hell and a big ol workspace.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 4, 2024