Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

do you have the tadpole ability that drains ability scores, or do you have some other on-hit effect maybe?

No this is the beginning of act 1, my guys are level 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I've been breezing through on Balanced difficulty. Then I hit partway through Act 3: The HOH.

I'd heard scattered things about the House of Hope and the Raphael fight. But nothing could have prepared me for this bullshit.

And I just sat in slack-jawed amazement when the song kicked in. Holy poo poo!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was planning on putting on something from Doom 2016/Eternal when I got to the boss fight, but then the in-game music kicked in. My Shadowheart was pretty useless during that fight though because she had pretty much exclusively radiant and fire damage and they retaliated one and ignored the other.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
how do they want you to fight raphael? cause we just ran hope out of the room and killed his guys and then him but theres pillars and stuff that we just totally ignored

edit: i wonder if people who struggled with that fight didnt see that hope has divine intervention which is a full party heal and long rest lol and also a button she can use up to like 6 times that just removes someone from the fight

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 4, 2024

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

House of Hope, Act 3. You're supposed to blow up the pillars because that's how Raphael activates his pillars, yes. If you examine him it makes that very clear.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah but that didnt seem worthwhile, so i wondered if you were just supposed to alternate radiant damage on them or something. all in all it just didnt seem hard. and when he used his soul charges, he just did like a 50 damage fireball or summoned a stupid little twerp with 15 health

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
This last run I had Karlach as an Open Hand Monk and in the House of Hope she could take out a pillar every round. I had Shadowheart’s Genie helping.

I believe they’re vulnerable to bludgeoning damage so HIYAH.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
why are these kobolds exploding!!! they can't have drunk that much liquor, that's unpossible!!!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Monathin posted:

House of Hope, Act 3. You're supposed to blow up the pillars because that's how Raphael activates his pillars, yes. If you examine him it makes that very clear.

Actually; no. This fight is super easy if you actually understand how it works and the mechanics involved. when you destroy the pillars Raphael actually gets new powers that make him much more dangerous. What you should be doing is focusing on Raphael round one. If you devote everyone in your party to focusing on taking him down you really should be able to kill him in round one by that point in the game if you’ve put any effort at all into your party. He does the most damage by far, if you waste time taking out pillars you’re just giving him an opportunity to kill you.

Remember that he isn’t resistant to piercing, force, thunder, psychic, radiant or necrotic damage; and although he is resistant to lightning if you have elemental adept you can cancel out lightning resistance if you’ve taken lightning adept.

Also remember enemies can only reflect radiant damage once, so you can also just wail on him with a paladin.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 4, 2024

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Actually; no. This fight is super easy if you actually understand how it works and the mechanics involved. when you destroy the pillars Raphael actually gets new powers that make him much more dangerous. What you should be doing is focusing on Raphael round one. If you devote everyone in your party to focusing on taking him down you really should be able to kill him in round one by that point in the game if you’ve put any effort at all into your party. He does the most damage by far, if you waste time taking out pillars you’re just giving him an opportunity to kill you.

Remember that he isn’t resistant to piercing, force, thunder, psychic, radiant or necrotic damage; and although he is resistant to lightning if you have elemental adept you can cancel out lightning resistance if you’ve taken lightning adept.

Also remember enemies can only reflect radiant damage once, so you can also just wail on him with a paladin.

I had a TA in college who would say "you do not get it? It is so simple!" when people didn't understand a concept. This post reminds me of him.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Verviticus posted:

how do they want you to fight raphael? cause we just ran hope out of the room and killed his guys and then him but theres pillars and stuff that we just totally ignored

same way as most other bosses

you either win a dps/tankiness stat check vs him, or you have enough CC to steal his action economy which gives you enough turns to kill him

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Professor Beetus posted:

Oh "items and scrolls," I misread, thank you. Still seems busted since you're never hurting for scrolls!

I'm more interested in buff spells anyway. I get plenty of damage as a sorcerer. Sounds pretty busted

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JBP posted:

I'm more interested in buff spells anyway. I get plenty of damage as a sorcerer. Sounds pretty busted

Bustin' makes me feel good

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just finished the house of grief, I'm not sure what the right strategy is or that I should've done it at 12, but I basically camped at the top of the stairs and spammed Sleet and held on for dear life.

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018

AgentHaiTo posted:

About Mol and Act 2

It used to happen all the time as long as Mol was alive pre-patch5, but I haven't seen it since, as least in Honor Mode, and I've played thru that area twice since patch 5. There's a rumor on reddit, that someone at Larian thought the scene was kind of pedo with Raphael mentioning Mol is a "blushing apple", so they just remoted it entirely.

Ah poo poo, yeah, that makes sense. It's a shame they did it that way instead of just removing that one specific line, though. It's a great interaction between Mol and Raphael and the follow-up conversation with Mol afterwards discussing the perils of making devil's bargains is great and adds to her character. Not to mention there's a couple of Approval gains in there for some of the companions.

I was holding off on my latest playthrough until it was restored as I assumed it was a bug but with this context it sounds intentional, so I'll just press on. I hope they tweak and add that back in, though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tae posted:

Just finished the house of grief, I'm not sure what the right strategy is or that I should've done it at 12, but I basically camped at the top of the stairs and spammed Sleet and held on for dear life.

I went there last and basically teleported the team into the middle of the room and cast daylight. My killer rogue could see in the dark. It was a mountain of bodies situation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tormentum! :rock:

https://i.imgur.com/cPqvOYz.mp4

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doing my durge and just left the mountains. Told Laezel to kill Voss and now she's gone full Nazi space frog. Feels bad but chaos reigns.

Also extremely funny that any gith in our way is/was a traitor.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Verviticus posted:

edit: i wonder if people who struggled with that fight didnt see that hope has divine intervention which is a full party heal and long rest lol and also a button she can use up to like 6 times that just removes someone from the fight

I did this a few days ago. It wasn’t that bad on balanced, I had Karlach whacking pillars (guess I shouldn’t have? Oh well), noticed hope has divine intervention, and persuaded Yurgir to jump sides.

One mechanic I didn’t get, not sure if it was bugged or more likely I missed something - knocked out party members get their souls absorbed by a pillar, but then I read there’s supposed to be a Restore Soul action either on a pillar or Raphael to get it back. Didn’t see the action anywhere but it didn’t really matter on balanced.

I also used Sanctuary to run through the house after destroying my contract and rescuing Hope , didn’t take time to cheese Raphael with barrels.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah Hope is a supreme healer that can heal the entire room and she can magically delete two enemies from the fight instantly.

E: on tactician she can only do it twice I guess it's much easier on normal mode? If you let Raphael juice. It's not great.

In other news sorcerer is amazing once you come online. Storm sorcerer is so much fun. If I went draconic I'd have 23ac at the start of act 2 but fly is so powerful. In the Nere fight I cast double hold person, flew up onto that gantry and rained poo poo on everyone. It's also very fun to run into a traffic jam and cast thunderwave then fly off scot free flipping everyone off.

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 4, 2024

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I picked up Minthara from Moonrise using a mod so I want to check she's behaving correctly. At the moment she's behaving like a regular party member except that a. if I leave the Shadowlands she remains in camp cos she wants to focus on killing Ketheric, which I think is correct and b. if she dies-dies (as opposed to being downed, which she does do) I can't rez her, she's permadead. IDK if that's supposed to be the case. Also she doesn't have any listed quest associated with her.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

why are these kobolds exploding!!! they can't have drunk that much liquor, that's unpossible!!!

kobolds are made of 90% explosive materials

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Verviticus posted:

I think that you're technically *meant to* destroy the towers to reduce Raph's very high defenses. This does give him different and more dangerous attacks though. If you've sufficiently min maxed your party you can instead brute force your way past his initial AC and save bonus, but otherwise you'll have to take out some of the towers to give yourself an opening (or save scum the dice rolls). Having Lae'zel or another fighter hit Raph with Goading Attack helps since you can dump all your mitigation onto her and move everybody else away so they don't get caught in a nasty area attack. Otto's Irresistible Dance helps since he doesn't get an initial save, but don't expect it to last more than one turn.

Radiant Retort only works once per enemy that has it. So you could throw some holy water at the adds to trigger the retort and only suffer minor damage in return, then have Hope use Divine Intervention to nuke the whole room without vaporizing herself. You could instead have Hope hold onto it to recover the party or summon a nice mace for you to steal, but whatever you decide make sure you have her use DI for something because it's a huge asset and only available until the Raph fight is over. Her Banish ability is also helpful for thinning out adds, or Yurgir if you didn't get him on your side.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
It’s also possible to ignore Radiant Retort gibbing whoever decides to drop an AoE Radiant attack by having the party member/ally sit inside Globe of Invulnerability as they fire off their attack. The Retorts will fire off, but do 0 damage since the attacker is invulnerable. You will have to deal with enemies probably trying to sit in the Globe afterwards, but at least you can strip the Retort off safely.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pellisworth posted:

The only mechanical advantage of one disguise over another is for racial-specific items, afaik. For example the Dwarven Thrower hammer in Act 3 will get its dwarf-specific bonuses if you Disguise yourself as a dwarf.

There's also race-specific dialogue but idk why you'd go as a gnome in particular. Could just be aesthetics?

edit: whoops there's also the +1d4 skill checks from the shapeshifter ring. So for minmax you probably want your PC to be disguised as something for that skill bonus. Why you would disguise as one particular combo overr another, idk other than race-specific items.

Snake Maze posted:

The shapeshifter's boon is a ring that gives +1d4 on all checks as long as you're disguised, you can get it in act 1 if you kill the strange ox.

Yup, this is it! Forgot about the ring. Probably explains how he's so good at his pickpocketing too

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

If you want to get the shapeshifter ring without killing the ox, you can also just use the generic "trade with any NPC" exploit:

Simply tank the oxes attitude towards you by either repeatedly attempting to steal in front of it, or hitting it a few times then running away. When you come back, you'll get the generic "this NPC is very upset with you and won't talk until you give it a gift" announcer dialog. You can use the trade window it opens to buy the ring, and optionally give extra gold to get it's approval back up.

You can use the same exploit to buy items out of the inventory of almost every neutral/friendly NPC in the game, the trade window will have all their items and it avoids the flag that certain high value items have which stops them from appearing in the pickpocket window.

The two reasons you'd want to keep the ox alive are to either kill it in act 2 for the hat of fire acuity which only enters its inventory then, or to get it as an ally in the final fight.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

You have to make sure he doesn’t take damage again after he gets knocked out. He probably got caught by a stray aoe effect.

Also make sure you don’t have Jaheira shape changed into a dinosaur the whole encounter, like I did. RIP buddy.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Geekboy posted:

This last run I had Karlach as an Open Hand Monk and in the House of Hope she could take out a pillar every round. I had Shadowheart’s Genie helping.

I believe they’re vulnerable to bludgeoning damage so HIYAH.

Yeah I had Karlach dwarves thrower them to death. Way quicker than trying to slash them. I think if you give Laez literally any blunt weapon you can have them down easily in the first turn.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Tae posted:

yes but with hunger of hadar+fire wall

the A.I is stupid and will banzai charge all their guys into your firewall and can't move out due to hadar ms debuff, so they all burn to death

give wyll devil's sight so he can't be blinded, use eldrich blast to disrupt ppl casting darkness on you and push anyone who make it out of the killzone back inside

very easy at lvl 10, pretty sure you could do it at level 8-9

Typo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 4, 2024

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Verviticus posted:

Caveat: I beat him on the second try under Balanced (I ate poo poo the first time because I don't look up anything and end up figuring out mechanics on the spot) with what would certainly be considered a sub-par group here. I had my Paladin/Warlock Tav, Karlach, Jaheira, and Shadowheart (all their base classes, no multiclassing or anything).

I went into the fight with both Jaheira and Shadowheart having summoned assists, a Myrmidon and a Djinn. Under this mode I don't have enough damage to simply one-round Raphael. Instead I split up my party to destroy the pillars. They are vulnerable to both Bludgeoning and Force damage, so Karlach and my Tav were able to take down one each in the first round. I used Hope to banish Yurgir with her special action, and my summons played interference on the enemies with some AOE from Shadowheart and Jaheira. Second round I removed the remaining pillars - as someone noted above, removing the pillars actually buffs Raphael by allowing him to transform, but this is triggered per-round, not per-pillar - so if you remove all the pillars rapidly, he'll only transform once. Otherwise (as I found out the first time) each time you break a pillar he can get the buff again. If you had Haste on your party you might be able to one-round all the pillars, with the right damage combos.

His Ascended form is a pain in the rear end, but with the pillars gone he doesn't get the bonus damage, restored souls, or healing from them. I threw my Tav at him; she had a high base AC (I think 24) and the Cloak of Displacement which means all attacks are at Disadvantage until you take damage. I used Jaheira and Karlach to mop up the Cambions and KO Korilla, and Hope to heal - Shadowheart played support while waiting out Radiant Retort. From there it was just beating him down with Karlach and Tav.

This is definitely not the most efficient path; I think the whole combat probably took 6-7 rounds, which is positively glacial by how people talk about fights here, but after dropping the pillars it never felt like I was at serious risk of losing. The biggest issue is making sure that Hope doesn't get murdered immediately because you can't improve her initiative and it's possible for someone to do her serious damage out the gate. If your characters are high enough up you can create some space to keep her safe.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah I had Karlach dwarves thrower them to death. Way quicker than trying to slash them. I think if you give Laez literally any blunt weapon you can have them down easily in the first turn.

I just did House of Hope last night and had both of them do exactly that. Laezel had the Orphic Hammer too, and Karlach is a throw barbarian and keeps the dwarven thrower as her backup bludgeon when needed, so they can take out all four towers in 2 rounds. Meanwhile, Shadowheart just spams

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there a mod to make the camp chest a companion for inventory sake, reclassing sucks for this reason

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah I don't know why the chest doesn't pop up in the party inventory when you're at camp. Seems like such an obvious quality of life detail.

Did House of Grief the other night. What an absolute shitstorm that fight is. Ended up dosing Barbarian Karlach with elixir of bloodlust and everyone else with the elixir of alertness or whatever (the +initiative one) so I could immediately alpha strike as many of the lovely Darkness-spamming mages as possible while Karlach cheerfully massacred the random novices. Still ended up losing absolutely everyone but Karlach, who proceeded to coat her halberd with carrion crawler venom and loving brutally solo the remaining six enemies including the undamaged boss, holy gently caress Karlach. Rummaging through Tav's pack for the resurrection scrolls has never felt so satisfying.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
lol so I didn't realize there was a trade button that lets you trade with NPC outside of dialogue until now

so I never used volo as camp merchant LOL

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Is there any effect on the story if you save some, but not all of the Gondians from the Iron Throne? My completionist impulse wants to free all of them, but I'm pretty done trying at this point.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

mA posted:

Is there any effect on the story if you save some, but not all of the Gondians from the Iron Throne? My completionist impulse wants to free all of them, but I'm pretty done trying at this point.

The Gondians will still side with you if you save a lot, or maybe any, of them.

If you're struggling, try bringing a wizard/sorcerer who can cast haste and throwing that on a monk or rogue who can dash with bonus actions. Bonus points if you twin cast haste. One or two hasted characters is worth more than that sorcerer in terms of speed. One hasted character for each direction, the guy who goes south can grab Omeluum for a quick trip back. The sorcerer camps in the center, opens the doors there, and seals the southern doors once those two Gondians get through.

Potions of speed are tricky because they only last three turns and the last thing you want is to lose that fourth turn if you're not back yet.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 4, 2024

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
There is literally only one Gondian who matters and she saves herself. gently caress all those other hos

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
haste spells, dimension doors and misty step solves the whole thing pretty handily in concert

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I didn't know they removed that scene with Mol. I didn't get those vibes at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
i'm like 25 hours in, but just happened to do something stupid