Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I still want to know why teeth are so loving complicated. Why does something that's function is to be hard and bite things have to be so painful and breakable and liable to infection?

Why does a tooth need a NERVE running through it???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 4, 2005

My dentist always tells me "god made teeth on a bad day"

So the consensus from the experts seems to be its Gods fault.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

A fluffy kitten, for every small child, in a cute little bow, called mittens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITpUxtji4s

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tesseraction posted:

I'll breathe a lot easier when the tories are out of power. Starmer taking office won't count as that, though.

At this point just getting rid of he populist nutjobs and getting a few years of boring will be an improvement.
In the current political system you don't get to vote for what you want, just against what you hate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is this the sensible, practical politics? Good vibes only no policies?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The thing that gets me about dental hygiene is that there's a body of evidence that poor dental hygiene seems to have a causal effect on poor mental health, rather than the more intuitive concept that people with poor mental health don't bother to brush their teeth etc.

Or is Nelson Mandela loving with me?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lmao I know we’ve been a post-satire society for a while but framing a “promise to lift the national mood” as a concrete change is really something

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

keef starmer to legalise weed

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

At this point just getting rid of he populist nutjobs and getting a few years of boring will be an improvement.
In the current political system you don't get to vote for what you want, just against what you hate.

That's a rather...American lense to be looking in on another country's politics. We haven't actually had Trump in power for the last few years (no, Bozza doesn't quite count) and Starmer is not looking to offer policies meaningly different from what we've got now - he's been explicit about it, for instance he has been criticising the Tories for not being efficient enough at being bastards to immigrants. Unlike Biden he has made zero overtures to his left, either, quite the opposite in fact.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 4, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Where did you get the idea that Grey is American from?

I assume by populists he means the tory cranks that are desperately whipping up hatred agaisnt everyone they can. I don't have much confidence that starmer would be much different when in office but I don't think it's incorrect to observe that the tories are doing a similar thing to the republicans in that respect.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Seems tonally different though.

Johnson I can buy as populist, his whole "I'm the face of Brexit" and TV persona and promise of optimistic change with a perceived enemy in the EU/Courts/Lords etc. combined with some progressive policy among all the chaos and clientelism, that fits.

Sunak just gets called a 'WEF shill' by anyone who would vote for an actual populist party like Reform. I can't see him drawing a crowd like Trump. I can't even see him drawing a crowd like Ron DeSantis.

They're tories, but not populists (nor popular).

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Queef Starmer raise the national mood, my country is dying.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pistol_Pete posted:

I still want to know why teeth are so loving complicated. Why does something that's function is to be hard and bite things have to be so painful and breakable and liable to infection?

Yeah this is the part that genuinely baffles me, what possible advantage is there to being an animal and knowing your tooth is busted? Until a sufficiently advanced ape came along it's not like any animal can DO anything about it, it just risks so much pain they stop eating. And said ape had to keep going for a good long time before we got the tools and understanding to effectively deal with anything. Why aren't teeth just a solid lump of enamel?

Hell nevermind the eyes, maybe it's teeth that are evidence of Young Earth, they only make even a little bit if sense if the species starts out already developed enough to figure out a basic solution to tooth pain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure what else to call the kind of rabble rousing shite the tories are campaigning on though. It's all transparently stupid poo poo trying to manufacture outrage to distract from the fact that their actual policies are stupid and cause all the problems. I agree that it isn't popular but I do think it is trying to be populist.

I don't think they're going to stop doing that once they leave office and I don't think starmer has any policies either so he's likely to just end up perpetually pandering to the furthest right newspapers and tory idiots while privatizing everything he can.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I suppose Labour wouldn't be as ad as the Tories in the sense that the Tories want to make everything worse whereas Labour want to keep it exactly as bad as it is now. I'm still not voting for that though

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It would be nice to have people like Bad Enoch relegated to being a self-hating minority outside of power, I suppose.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah this is the part that genuinely baffles me, what possible advantage is there to being an animal and knowing your tooth is busted? Until a sufficiently advanced ape came along it's not like any animal can DO anything about it, it just risks so much pain they stop eating. And said ape had to keep going for a good long time before we got the tools and understanding to effectively deal with anything. Why aren't teeth just a solid lump of enamel?

Hell nevermind the eyes, maybe it's teeth that are evidence of Young Earth, they only make even a little bit if sense if the species starts out already developed enough to figure out a basic solution to tooth pain.

This applies to any sort of chronic pain, really. Pain is just a crude method to get the brain's attention and do something about it, and as much as we'd like an off switch, evolution was smart enough to know that we'd just hit that snooze button until we died (aside: we invented the off switch anyway: drugs)

But chronic pain. Man. Cmon evolution, surely you can appreciate that if the brain hasn't done anything about the injury after 24 hours then it might as well be ignored so the animal can just go ahead and get some pain-free sucking and loving in before dying. There could be some reproduction in it!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Pistol_Pete posted:

because it's a kluge (a word I learned today), mammals having permanent teeth is a side effect of the evolutionary path from placoderms

e:

kecske fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 4, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

It would be nice to have people like Bad Enoch relegated to being a self-hating minority outside of power, I suppose.

Absent the tories being in power I think it's quite probable that the fringe voices in the party would become louder and more effective, honestly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure what else to call the kind of rabble rousing shite the tories are campaigning on though. It's all transparently stupid poo poo trying to manufacture outrage to distract from the fact that their actual policies are stupid and cause all the problems. I agree that it isn't popular but I do think it is trying to be populist.
They might be trying, but they're failing and flopping badly.

"All your problems are the fault of the elite EU/Court system/bits of politics you don't really understand" worked for the purposes of Brexit (especially because the EU does put out a bunch of lovely policy at times), but when you're throwing the same charges at a bunch of people in small boats, and trying to whip up anti-migrant sentiment where it has collapsed, and coming up with nonsense like 'the blob' that doesn't even have the decades of left and right use that 'the swamp' had in the USA, they're not succeeding at all at actually being populist, they're just appealing to a bunch of racist old newspaper readers. At which point 'nationalist' or 'falangist' or 'transparently stupid poo poo' all fit better.

Microplastics posted:

(aside: we invented the off switch anyway: drugs)
That had an evolutionary aspect to it too. It's not like poppies knew why they were generating morphine as part of a random side chain that's probably somewhere way back related to why we have μ-opioid receptors, but there wouldn't be so many billions of them all over the world if they didn't.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tesseraction posted:

Where roughly are you based? Because even my NHS dentist often has two dedicated receptionists and a dedicated nurse for each dentist. They are public-private mind you and I think like many their registers for NHS are full until more of the elderly patients pass away.

I’m in Glasgow. It’s not even just a one off kind of thing, I’m addition to my own NHS dentist, this was the situation at the clinic they sent me to since they couldn’t see me, and the apparent situation at three other dentists I got in contact with trying to find someone who would do it privately, but they were all clinics who did both NHS and private work. Most of the dentists in my area seem to be small affairs, with maybe two clinics in the premises and only one dentist on shift on the days I visited (and sometimes I’m the case of my registered dentist, no dentist at all!)

It might have been presumptuous of me to assume that situation was replicated all over though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm working from a cafe and sat next to a dudebro who's also working. He's on a call and I've been eavesdropping. I think he works in some sort of property management. There was mention of "Kier Starmer's constituency" and "get the labour party out to free up that site" lmao

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

kecske posted:

placoderms

loving placoderms, I KNEW it would be all their fault :argh:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kecske posted:

keef starmer to legalise weed

Keith to institute national toothbrushing and flossing policy, instantly improving national mental health outcomes.

E: actually no that's much too worthwhile and evidence-based to be a Starman policy

E2:

Microplastics posted:

I'm working from a cafe and sat next to a dudebro who's also working. He's on a call and I've been eavesdropping. I think he works in some sort of property management. There was mention of "Kier Starmer's constituency" and "get the labour party out to free up that site" lmao

Wouldn't be totally surprised if Keith moonlighted as an evictions bailiff

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Microplastics posted:

This applies to any sort of chronic pain, really. Pain is just a crude method to get the brain's attention and do something about it, and as much as we'd like an off switch, evolution was smart enough to know that we'd just hit that snooze button until we died (aside: we invented the off switch anyway: drugs)

yeah that's the issue with leprosy iirc, it turns off the nerves so you don't know you're cut or hurt so hello infections like gangrene

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: actually no that's much too worthwhile and evidence-based to be a Starman policy
200,000 extra cops to police whether you've brushed your teeth before bed.

Keith will make
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CrPAl1aDzM
real.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Microplastics posted:

Hope you offered to help get Kieth out

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Evolution doesn't have a logic, it doesn't decide things. Its answer to tooth pain is ":shrug: better luck next generation"

My answer to tooth pain is guillotine the rich and nationalise the dentists

kecske posted:

because it's a kluge (a word I learned today), mammals having permanent teeth is a side effect of the evolutionary path from placoderms

Ihr sieht nicht kluge aus, did you mean kludge?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mrpwase posted:

Ihr sieht nicht kluge aus, did you mean kludge?

Both spellings are acceptable apparently, since it derives from the German word, although addmittedly the extra D (heh) helps with English pronunciation expectations

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

The thing that gets me about dental hygiene is that there's a body of evidence that poor dental hygiene seems to have a causal effect on poor mental health, rather than the more intuitive concept that people with poor mental health don't bother to brush their teeth etc.

Or is Nelson Mandela loving with me?

Nah, if you've got damaged teeth that look unsightly and constantly ache, obviously that's going to have a deleterious effect on your self-esteem and general mood. I broke a veneer on a front tooth and just did not want to look people in the face until I'd got it fixed, god knows what I'd have done if I couldn't afford it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

Nah, if you've got damaged teeth that look unsightly and constantly ache, obviously that's going to have a deleterious effect on your self-esteem and general mood. I broke a veneer on a front tooth and just did not want to look people in the face until I'd got it fixed, god knows what I'd have done if I couldn't afford it.

Poorly fitted or rejected dentures also strongly correlate with a decline in cognition in the elderly

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Reveilled posted:

It might have been presumptuous of me to assume that situation was replicated all over though.

huh, well it's not presumptive I'm more than willing to believe I have the One Dentist In Britain Who Isn't hosed

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Failed Imagineer posted:

Both spellings are acceptable apparently, since it derives from the German word, although adddmittedly the extra D (heh) helps with English pronunciation expectations

Then I would like to apologise to kecske, er sieht wirklich kluge aus

Over the last 24 hours all three UK threads have talked about the darts, truly we are united as a nation

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

Ah yes, populism is clearly the problem here, and our lives will be significantly improved once Westminster stops even pretending to work for the public and embraces pure parasitic elitism.

Seriously, 'populist' becoming the default term for 'politics I don't like' was one of the more insidious elements of mainstream political discourse in the past almost-decade.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Failed Imagineer posted:

Keith to institute national toothbrushing and flossing policy, instantly improving national mental health outcomes.

Means-tested tax credits on toothbrushes for over-70s

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Soricidus posted:

Means-tested tax credits on toothbrushes for over-70s

You have to taper that down to zero over 3 years though, can't have people becoming dependent on handouts!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

mrpwase posted:

Evolution doesn't have a logic, it doesn't decide things. Its answer to tooth pain is ":shrug: better luck next generation"

My answer to tooth pain is guillotine the rich and nationalise the dentists

Evolution needs a selection pressure to work on, so you can't just guillotine rich British people and expect teeth to improve.

*cog turns slowly in head*

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also since the tech subforum threads are mostly US based, where's the best place to get a new phone these days? I tried looking at provider deals but might be easier to just buy a new one

My current one has been serving me since 2018 and it's starting to have ghosts like opening apps at random and the clipboard can cause app freezes and errors

And yes it keeps letting me make my terrible posts.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Also since the tech subforum threads are mostly US based, where's the best place to get a new phone these days? I tried looking at provider deals but might be easier to just buy a new one

My current one has been serving me since 2018 and it's starting to have ghosts like opening apps at random and the clipboard can cause app freezes and errors

And yes it keeps letting me make my terrible posts.

Google Store.

(That's a website, not an instruction)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

Oh there is that element but I also seem to recall a study about the links between poor oral hygiene and mental decline, suggesting a link between bacteria at the back of the throat and them getting to the tail of the brain stem.