Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

RocketMermaid posted:

How many of us are playing GT:NH (1.7.10), Nomifactory (1.12) and/or E2:E (1.12) again? :v:

I played some newer minecraft, both vanilla and molded, with my son and it feels weird and alien. 1.12 is like, the latest version where I feel comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'm kind of the opposite, I've been playing almost nothing but vanilla for a few years and the increased world height and most of the new blocks are kind of hard for me to do without. Also raw ores. Even if modded does add new blocks, it's not the same.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah when they added the expanded world height I couldn't justify sticking to my ancient modded build anymore and forced myself to upgrade. and I'm so glad I did, it's wild going into a supermassive cavern and then discovering ANOTHER supermassive cavern underneath it!

right now I'm exploring a cave so big it's basically one giant hollow space underneath an entire biome. just one single huge cavern, not multiple interconnected ones, and occasionally parts of the cave ceiling are open to the air.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
That is loving gorgeous and a good point towards 1.20+. That said the older packs I enjoy don't actually really use vanilla worldgen anyway.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The new cave gens and taller/deeper world are the best changes Minecraft's made in years.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Black Pants posted:

That is loving gorgeous and a good point towards 1.20+. That said the older packs I enjoy don't actually really use vanilla worldgen anyway.
that is one level. Bedrock would be right below the lowest part of that in old minecraft. Instead you only just start into deepslate, and there is a SECOND cavern below it. There's one section that goes from open air surface to deepslate in one drop that I marked as "The World Wound" on the map, I got knocked off the edge on the surface by a skeleton and even with featherfall boots I almost died. Also most of the "white fog" in those screenshots is from the view distance ending inside the cave, it's that long.

It really is incredible how much having these insanely larger areas is. And if I didn't force myself to only use lanterns instead of torches, it'd be a cinch to light it all up easily, but I insist on doing that because I already have so many things to make things easier, I figure that's one simple way I can make things harder for myself. Plus, they can hang from ceilings, which is nice.

If I wasn't dumb and could use video recording software I'd record a fly through of the cave, but

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I decided to finally sit down and do a Minecolony this playthrough in 1.19.
Set myself a chunk in the middle and built my own stuff down from there.
I realize that I really should have planned the town out a bit more since after setting it, it seems that certain buildings need to be put near others for efficiency or something.
Like the University should have a school and library near it and everyone wants a guard tower/barracks near them or they get mad.
Decent fun so far though.
Have also decided that I should build the town in layers and have started digging out the whole town below.
Turns out there is a massive cavern below 5x larger than the town and now I have to build a new foundation for any lower layers.
Below that massive cavern, sub 0 level is yet another massive cavern going to nearly bedrock.
Had to travel to do any mining.
But then, thats what minecarts and soon Create trains are for.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MineColonies has structures for underground building, you can choose styles different from your colony's primary style. I haven't looked recently, but there's a building style for dripstone caverns, and another building style for you digging your own tunnels underground, dwarf style.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 25, 2023

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

RocketMermaid posted:

How many of us are playing GT:NH (1.7.10), Nomifactory (1.12) and/or E2:E (1.12) again? :v:

Isn't the 1.7 GTNH uses so heavily modified that you can barely call it 1.7 anymore? Or am I thinking of something else?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Umbreon posted:

Isn't the 1.7 GTNH uses so heavily modified that you can barely call it 1.7 anymore? Or am I thinking of something else?

Pretty much. Some voodoo masters made it run on more modern java versions to massively increase performance.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I just want minecolonies to work with chisel and bits

Dunno if that's even a thing anymore in the new versions though lol

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

pseudorandom name posted:

MineColonies has structures for underground building, you can choose styles different from your colony's primary style. I haven't looked recently, but there's a building style for dripstone caverns, and another building style for you digging your own tunnels underground, dwarf style.

I didnt even think about switching styles for underground.
I had been digging out enough height for Dark Oak style which is what I used top side.
Good idea.

I had been using a mod called Immersive Weathering, which I had to take out and has left a few holes here and there.
It has some really good parts to it, like anywhere that water was running underground would dynamically change stone to mossy.
Most ground under heavy tree cover like in dark forests would change to hummus and grow mushrooms.
Tree leaves would drop to the ground in snow-like layers also changing the dirt to hummus.
This caused problems because I was having my minecolonist do dark oak and it couldnt lay down 2x2 saplings and I was constantly having to replant for her.
And weeds, weeds would pop up everywhere. I learned that if you put a layer of green house (just glass) over your farms it would stop popping your seeds out.
But they would pop up all over my town and were damaging my minecolonists constantly.

Decent looking mod that I would recommend in general but sadly no way to prevent those weeds.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Xerol posted:

I'm kind of the opposite, I've been playing almost nothing but vanilla for a few years and the increased world height and most of the new blocks are kind of hard for me to do without. Also raw ores. Even if modded does add new blocks, it's not the same.

This is the conclusion I came to after spending a couple of months trying out mods on multiple versions as well. The changes since 1.12 have added a lot of complexity to the vanilla game, but it's worth it.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The minecolonies cave style is slick, though it assumes a maximum density of tunnels that may seem overly rigid for some folks. I kinda prefer to have a smaller style fit into a big cave like that. Dripstone Caves is neat, but also has some hard assumptions of how high up the stalactites are.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The cave style also isn't built on the same multiples everywhere so if you're not careful you can end up building things too close together and it becomes impossible to fit anything in between.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RocketMermaid posted:

Funny that you mention that because I'm trying Nomifactory again and I've managed to actually get past the late EV/early IV wall I always hit. I just built my first assembly line in fact! :toot:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone wants to check out the silly thing I've been working on, https://legacy.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/last-gasp/files/4994022

Yes this is technically the same pack I was doing ages and ages ago that some people tested but the first map failed spectacularly for a few reasons so I started over.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Since upgrading from a launch model to an OLED Steam Deck, modded Minecraft has been unstable and prone to freezing or rebooting the whole system.

I increased the Linux swap and increased VRAM in the BIOS. Working perfectly now. Didn't have to do that on the old one but I'll take it.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Black Pants posted:

If anyone wants to check out the silly thing I've been working on, https://legacy.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/last-gasp/files/4994022

Yes this is technically the same pack I was doing ages and ages ago that some people tested but the first map failed spectacularly for a few reasons so I started over.

Yooo, I'll check this out

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Black Pants posted:

I was just thinking about this pack about a week ago and figured you had abandoned the idea. Great to see an update and I'll be checking it out in the New Year.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I kinda thought I had after I accidentally deleted a few months worth of work heh but I got the bug again and was inspired to pick it up.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Kyrosiris posted:

Funny that you mention that because I'm trying Nomifactory again and I've managed to actually get past the late EV/early IV wall I always hit. I just built my first assembly line in fact! :toot:

I'm at IV in GT:NH right now, and I feel like I'm definitely gonna go much farther in it than I did last time. I've given myself a lot of leeway in some categories, since I'm more interested in exploring the pack and figuring out automation solutions than doing everything by the book. Figuring out how to automate Platinum, Palladium and Tungsten automation this weekend has actually been a lot of fun.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
"B-b-but Botania is already automatable! Its ways are sacred! You have to do things the way it intends!"

Science! (And multiblocks)

Edit: I know Pneumaticcraft seems to scare some people, but...

Drill go brrr

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 2, 2024

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RocketMermaid posted:

I'm at IV in GT:NH right now, and I feel like I'm definitely gonna go much farther in it than I did last time. I've given myself a lot of leeway in some categories, since I'm more interested in exploring the pack and figuring out automation solutions than doing everything by the book. Figuring out how to automate Platinum, Palladium and Tungsten automation this weekend has actually been a lot of fun.

Nice! I just put together my first Mk1 fusion and LuV assembler last night and it felt awesome.

Setting up wetware looks intimidating, and I could probably do with improving my tungstate/scheelite to tungsten production, but progress is progress. :toot:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Getting there...

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
drat. I can't remember if you are actually almost done or just goaded into a false sense of thinking you are and there is another month of self-harm left.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

drat. I can't remember if you are actually almost done or just goaded into a false sense of thinking you are and there is another month of self-harm left.

Oh I'm still a goodly ways away from tank, even. I don't even have my Mk.2 (or 3) donut, and I just punched that into AE2 and immediately went :stonk: at what I need for 32 fusion coils.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Ahh, two more months of self-harm!

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

Getting there...
What even is that stuff? I'm just scratching the surface of IV.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Black Pants posted:

"B-b-but Botania is already automatable! Its ways are sacred! You have to do things the way it intends!"

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Unsure if this has been posted, but its new to me.
From November.
Create Aeronautics and Create High Seas.

Wheeled vehicles

Flying

https://createsimulated.com/blog1.html

Screenshots are in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zThmb9AAW2Y

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It got wild when you could apparently start spinning live Extreme Reactors around using stuff in Create.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ahh, two more months of self-harm!

Yeah, just wait until you have to automate Hearts of the Universe. :q:

/edit: Speaking of automation, I better start building my osmium/iridium/rhodium processing chain.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 4, 2024

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

American Dad posted:

What even is that stuff? I'm just scratching the surface of IV.

Omnium is basically "shove one of every major resource into a glob" and is one of the major gatekeepers on creative tank, up there with neutronium and chaos shards.

Got my Mk. 2 donut up and running, at least! :v:

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Create Aeronautics is pretty much all I could ask for from MC mods lol. I love Eureka airships/ordinary ships (though I'm somewhat annoyed that submarines don't work the way they do with the 1.12 Davinci Airships mod) and would love wheeled vehicles even more.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

I'm playing through that pack I was making back a while ago and I think it still holds up, and playing through Regrowth and The Aftermath and now this is giving me inspiration to pick up development on it again. I still don't know what I want to do for the next phase of progression yet but I think it would be better if I went in a direction a lot less grand than I originally planned.

Been playing it, I had to turn on creative mode because the section to the space suit was depressurized for some reason, and then I died a few times getting to the recreation dome, now I just need to figure out how to get clay for the bucket. Also the flower only converts dead to living logs if the dead logs are vertical. Edit: figured it out, had to use the secret room.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 5, 2024

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SugarAddict posted:

Been playing it, I had to turn on creative mode because the section to the space suit was depressurized for some reason, and then I died a few times getting to the recreation dome, now I just need to figure out how to get clay for the bucket. Also the flower only converts dead to living logs if the dead logs are vertical. Edit: figured it out, had to use the secret room.

Sorry AR is a bitch with its oxygen sealing being buggy. I've been considering just giving the player a space suit when they spawn heh.

And yeah the logs thing was a fix I lost when I accidentally deleted the pack, so I didn't realise it was still a problem until another tester pointed it out.

Thanks for letting me know the issues you're having though.

How'd you die getting to the Recreation Dome though?

Edit: Okay there's something weird going on with three airlocks in particular...

Edit 2: Okay I've updated the pack, removing all the hallway airlocks. Also filled out more of the IE-related progression section. Still working on building stuff for Thaumcraft's introduction.

https://legacy.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/last-gasp/files/5009479

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 5, 2024

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Ran out of air wandering around, Didn't realize that I needed to go up and the hookshot had effectively infinite range. Figured out that the fancy glass makes for nice torches, and the aboretum became depressurized at some point and bugged out and the crop sticks were vanishing when I was putting them down. Is dead sand supposed to be converted to dirt or sand? because it gets converted to dirt. Figured out the best way to get chests is to deconstruct the deep storage shelves, they each got like 16 chests in them. Edit: fixed the arboretium in creative.

Edit:

quote:

Okay I guess I gotta be a little more explicit stating that sometimes oxygen vents won't turn on and if you find yourself in a depressurized room you gotta powercycle the vent heh.

Things like this. Because people like me are dumb.

Edit2: had to lookup /toggleeditwand so wooden axes are useable, the quest book does not like the blood magic book and won't recognize it, dried sand to sand doesn't work because it requires iron buckets not clay buckets, wrenches can rotate the matter replicator stuff, and I went into the open "restricted area" place. I think I found out where everyone else went, I haven't seen that mod for 20 years.

Edit3:

quote:

If you need sand before that you can get it from the aquarium
I have no idea how far out futuretech mining level is and I can find some sand and regular stone under the dirt floor of the top center level of the recreation area, the one with the carpets and cooler (that I can just chuck into the matter fabricator for some matter).

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 6, 2024

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Okay I guess I gotta be a little more explicit stating that sometimes oxygen vents won't turn on and if you find yourself in a depressurized room you gotta powercycle the vent heh. But basically, when you enter the world vents have a random chance of just silently failing to pressurize an area for no reason I can really do anything about, so you kinda gotta watch your oxygen gauge. That's what I was talking about in the quest saying they were malfunctioning. I know it's lovely but I'm still hanging onto the hope that someone developing for AR fixes it one day.

Dried dirt/sand turning into a dirt is another quirk of Advanced Rocketry that I'm basically taking advantage of. When regular grass tries to spread to them, they are supposed to turn into their own variant of like Sandy Grass or whatever. However, Advanced Rocketry intercepts any attempt to turn into anything named 'grass' in a block that is considered deoxygenated, and turns it into... regular vanilla dirt, heh. Which then can turn into regular grass.

You can craft the dried sand in the room with the picket fence into sand with a water bucket though.

And yes I explicitly encourage breaking anything breakable and nabbing it for yourself lol

Also because all those fuckin airlocks were originally my attempt at mitigating the vent brokenness and they just caused problems anyway, in the next big update I've removed them from the whole leisure area and cut down the air vents to a minimum.

SugarAddict posted:

Edit2: had to lookup /toggleeditwand so wooden axes are useable,

Oh my god I hate that feature of World Edit and I always forget it. The sand thing is supposed to require iron buckets. If you need sand before that you can get it from the aquarium. Also hm, I guess the player technically doesn't need the wrench, at least early on.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Is there a mod or pack that completely overhauls hunger and food to a point where:

-You only have to eat like once a day if you make good meals
-Decouples healing from hunger (but you could heal from potions, sleeping, or maybe some kind of enchanted foods)
-Food requires a lot of input (e.g. you can't just survive off one small plot of carrots)
-Lots of variety in things you can grow/animals you can raise

I want to just build a farm and live off it but actually have a reason to build a large farm and processing and cooking everything. Really just want something with the depth of farming simulator on the farming side, with the additional requirement of needing to survive and appropriate production chains to turn your crops/animals into survival tools.