Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ImpAtom posted:

Unpopular opinion but I've always been of the opinions that the Predators are kind of totally wimps. Like textually, they are super-advanced alien hunters who spend their time sniping people while invisible with a super laser. Like the people who claim they're great hunters because they shoot wolves from a chopper.

Unless you're getting killed while invisible then I'm pretty sure anyone who remotely qualifies as a superhero would just wreck their poo poo 1v1.

That's absolutely the correct read on the Predators. They're dangerous, but dangerous in the way that a rich psycho in good shape with fancy guns is dangerous.

Consider: there's no difference between a Predator story and a Kraven story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Predators get murked by local fauna all the time and then throw the ultimate tantrum by nuking the place because god forbid anything better than them can continue living

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wiegieman posted:

That's absolutely the correct read on the Predators. They're dangerous, but dangerous in the way that a rich psycho in good shape with fancy guns is dangerous.

Sure there is. Kraven stories have Spider-Man

*checks upcoming Kraven movie*

Oh no

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

No Predators-Van

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Unpopular opinion but I've always been of the opinions that the Predators are kind of totally wimps. Like textually, they are super-advanced alien hunters who spend their time sniping people while invisible with a super laser. Like the people who claim they're great hunters because they shoot wolves from a chopper.

Unless you're getting killed while invisible then I'm pretty sure anyone who remotely qualifies as a superhero would just wreck their poo poo 1v1.

There is a somewhat silly YouTube series I can't find that is villain tech support and 90% of it is 'okay the blonde guy walking toward you is he wearing armor or... Okay he's wearing pajamas? Well the good news is he won't kill you. The bad news is I doubt he' ll fight you. You are boring to him'

90% of it was just predictors going after things they had no earthly reason to. Which tracks. Predators aren't apex hunters, they're some dentist out on safari.

Caros fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 29, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Batman versus Predator was really good, at least the first mini-series which was also carried along by some great art from one of the Kubert brothers. That's also about who the Predator should scuffle with. Like even Spidey is way too much for one.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nessus posted:

No Predators-Van

Plenty of Predators have vans. Supposedly there's free candy.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Caros posted:

There is a somewhat silly YouTube series I can't find that is villain tech support and 90% of it is 'okay the blonde guy walking toward you is he wearing armor or... Okay he's wearing pajamas? Well the good news is he won't kill you. The bad news is I doubt he' ll fight you. You are boring to him'

90% of it was just predictors going after things they had no earthly reason to. Which tracks. Predators aren't apex hunters, they're some dentist out on safari.

Here ya go:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DeQYTroqGl8&si=OwO3NFOkAay5GQY9

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Predators are literally just big game hunters from space. Them being owned by the local wildlife is always a thing that happens anytime they show up. Doesnt mean it cant be fun though while it happens

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Air Skwirl posted:

Given other enemies the X-Men as a team have fought and won against, a Predator alien seems super low stakes

Kate wakes up, yawns and stretches out her arms, unconsciously phasing...and a Predator just falls loving dead right next to her bed.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The only badass Preds were the one in P2 (almost all his kills were melee and he'd wade into whole groups at a time, none of the cowardly poo poo the P1 guy did), and the one in AvP2, who was just cleaning up other people's mess and didn't care how many bastards he had to deal with. The rest of them were all chumps.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

The only badass Preds were the one in P2 (almost all his kills were melee and he'd wade into whole groups at a time, none of the cowardly poo poo the P1 guy did)

Yep.

Jungle Hunter was a yuppie on Safari.

City Hunter was an actual god drat warrior.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

wiegieman posted:

"They said my mother was insane" *beep beep boops wrist gauntlet, most of the metro area is obliterated*

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Caught up on Red and Immortal.

Red: I just didn't care enough about the Arrako stuff to care about this ending. I feel a reread will make it work better.

Immortal: I remain a Righteous Hater. As for the Twist... I do appreciate that my complaint about the post-Hickman Dominion definition kind of takes a poo poo here. There's a lot of setup about different ways to make it happen and in the end, it feels like Gillen goes "lol didn't you read the text?" which I appreciate.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

wiegieman posted:

Immortal X-men was great as usual.

Though, I would remind everyone of Defenders Beyond after they have read this week's issue:

I'm ok with Gillen and team following up on this, but I gotta say I much prefer the metaphor/metaphysics of the crown being the real world capitalism that ultimately hems in the comics universe regardless of what the creators can imagine or want. It just being Robo Sinister who's obtained godhood is much less interesting to me, even if it's more usable for future stories.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
What

How did you come to that conclusion when the literal text says that its a warning of a threat to come? Did you think they were going to fight the anthropomorphic personification of real world capitalism?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It is weird that Loki was the first to see the threat and was involved in the reveal and now it's gonna get handled by the X-Men.

Unless there are plans for Enigma to last past the wrap up of the Krakoan Era, but that doesn't seem like that's how the story's going. It seems much more likely that the Phoenix is gonna be involved in ending Enigma and in the reboot.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gologle posted:

What

How did you come to that conclusion when the literal text says that its a warning of a threat to come? Did you think they were going to fight the anthropomorphic personification of real world capitalism?

When is real world capitalism ever not a threat to a comic's world/story-line/continuation? I simply assumed it wouldn't be followed up on. That the "fight" would be telling the best stories possible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
and now you have learned that your baseless interpretation is completely wrong.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I keep hearing about this capitalism thing. Sounds bad

I feel like Gillen already said that with Young Loki, anyway.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
To be fair, in their various forms, the Sinisters have been a thinly veiled metaphor for British Imperialism/Colonialism for a whole lot of the past several years.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looking forward to tomorrow and the Fall of X finale start.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

and now you have learned that your baseless interpretation is completely wrong.

You look at a crown over a McDonalds wasteland, and call that interpretation baseless? They obviously had and/or made other plans for it, but that metaphor is so blatant it's practically text.

You also have to keep in mind the context. In Defender's Beyond, this is revealed after the team travels to the literal House of Ideas, which you may recognize as the old nickname for Marvel publishing, but in universe is the dwelling place of The One Above All, and the source of everything in the Marvel universe. Yet the Enigma exists beyond even that.

Even if you don't conclude, as I did, that it's metatextual commentary on the comics industry, this eldritch entity beyond the highest powers in the universe turning out to be Sinister's computer is a bit of a downgrade. Horrifying that it got to that level, sure, and the Enigma definitely fit's Hickman's description of a Dominion (with obvious symbolic overlap), but it's weird that the boogie man at the end of a book all about going beyond ends up having an origin from within.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

wiegieman posted:

Immortal X-men was great as usual.

Though, I would remind everyone of Defenders Beyond after they have read this week's issue:

The art for this whole mini series was so so good. It had flavors of Allred, and Dragotta attempting to do tributes to Kirby and early Hanna-Barbera.

The Enigma being basically AI that just consumes everything and regurgitates it back out in being a not really passable facsimile will be an interesting commentary, if that's the direction it goes towards

Jiro fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 3, 2024

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://aiptcomics.com/2024/01/03/house-of-x-powers-of-x-chronological-edition-1/

Huh

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I don't? What? Chronological version of Memento loving sucked.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't? What? Chronological version of Memento loving sucked.

I didn't realize that was a thing but it certainly seems pointless.

But I'm curious about ChronPOX

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I feel like well made pieces of media that gently caress around with chronology often do it because of reasons of pacing. Out of Sight is a great movie starring George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez and it shows scenes out of order because chronologically Jennifer Lopez's character wouldn't show up until halfway through the film otherwise. If something is decent, and they mess around structurally with the order of events in real time versus the order they show them, there's usually a good reason for it, if they show something happening in the present and then later show a flashback into the past instead of vice versa they did that on purpose.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Previously... On LOST.

Tragic Wagon
Sep 9, 2021

Got what it takes
I've been meaning to reread HoxPox, so I gave it a whirl. It actually did reinforce how well HoxPox works as a story, and not just a big retcon and a complicated new status quo. A fun way to revisit it, though definitely the inferior version. I do wish we'd gotten to see how Hickman planned to pay everything off, even if I wouldn't trade that for Gillen, Ewing & Duggan's stuff.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This is what I'm going to send to people when they ask "in what order should I read House of X/Powers of X" and someone else replies "release order." :twisted:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
So I'm assuming since no one has brought it up that the consensus is that the first issue of FOHOX was a dud?

I know Werneck is getting a lot of love over the last couple of years, but the art was very inconsistent. He likes playing with cartoon-y styles, especially with action, which I think wouldn't be so jarring if in adjacent pages he didn't look like he was tracing Larraz for Dr. Gregor. Also, that mask they've got on Cyclops looked funky the whole time. He just wasn't getting it right.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The art wasn't great and there were some bits of story that were less clear than I might have liked (though all of that might become more clear subsequently) but I still found it pretty exciting and I'm really looking forward to what comes next, so it was definitely an effective issue for me.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I was bothered by Ewing confusing Krakoa with Groot. The whole loving island is Krakoa, not just a drat tree.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It was Duggan, not Ewing, and I don't think either of them forgot anything, it seemed to me like it was Krakoa's equivalent of separating the saucer section from the body of the Enterprise.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

rantmo posted:

It was Duggan, not Ewing, and I don't think either of them forgot anything, it seemed to me like it was Krakoa's equivalent of separating the saucer section from the body of the Enterprise.

That's how I read it, too.

For an issue that was setting up a big fight, the Rasputin thing and just jumping to people saying "well, I guess we're not saving Scott!" was not great. And then it just jumped into "war." It wasn't coherently done, in my opinion, and it's especially rough to me given that it's the first issue. I felt it needed to be bigger.

Also, I'm not sure I care about Polaris so the "reveal" was a miss for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Way back in Krakoa's original appearance in Giant Sized X-Men #1, it's described as a colony intelligence (and shown as a walking thing on the island), so I don't think it's particularly wrong to have part of the island gently caress off.

Granted that same first appearance suggests it was created by nuking an island, which is definitely not the current canon.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Granted that same first appearance suggests it was created by nuking an island, which is definitely not the current canon.

To be fair, mutants at the time where also assumed to be a byproduct of nukes.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

danbanana posted:

Also, I'm not sure I care about Polaris so the "reveal" was a miss for me.

I love Polaris and I love her new look, though the Brood as invasion force seems like a deeply terrible idea. On the other hand I love Broo, so anything that gets me more Broo is a good thing. The book definitely could have been more coherent but I'm still holding out hope that it's going to end up making more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

rantmo posted:

I love Polaris and I love her new look, though the Brood as invasion force seems like a deeply terrible idea. On the other hand I love Broo, so anything that gets me more Broo is a good thing. The book definitely could have been more coherent but I'm still holding out hope that it's going to end up making more sense.

Every time I see Polaris I think of the truncated X-Factor book and feel sad.