Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Vookatos posted:

Beaten Super Mario Bros Wonder

I haven't played Wonder, but from what I've seen in a lot of ways it really seems to be Nintendo's response to what the Mario Maker community was doing, and honestly as much as Nintendo seems to hate its consumer base at times I think that's pretty cool.

Anyways, beat Moonscars today. Played it mostly blind until the end so I missed out on two of the alternative endings, but while a short but solid Metroidvania, I dunno if I care enough to bother getting those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Just recently beat American Arcadia, Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, and Small Saga.

American Arcadia is a fun, semi-mindless romp (it does have some light platforming puzzling as well as some other puzzle formats, but all quite easy with the story as the main focus). The story I really enjoyed though, it's an extremely well-realized concept with excellent voice acting and the low poly style is pretty and consistent. I really liked the two formats, one in first person from the perspective of the activist on the outside with a lot of puzzles and story stuff, and one in side scroller inside Arcadia where all the platforming happens. I enjoyed the side scrolling parts the most but I liked how it all fit together.

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk was just a funky, groovy time with some incredible levels and fun exploration. Some parts of it aren't that well thought out, like the combat, but I loved finding new tags and putting them up everywhere. I do wish that the point/trick system was a LITTLE bit more involved, as I love skateboarding and BMX, but still just a great time with a surprisingly engaging and interesting story.

Small Saga is just that, small. It's a very simple, story based JRPG style thing with some nice high bit pixel art. A mostly silly but still interesting story, I had fun and it only took me like 6 hours to beat.

Play fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 4, 2024

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Have just completed my 4th run of Earthbound

I have a deep love of the game and was fortunate enough to play it without spoilers the first time round around 18 years ago when I was not in a good state financially, emotionally or in any other way really, so I have a really strong connection with the finale.

It's a grindy, dated and irritating game but still holds more than enough charm to have felt it worthwhile to play through again nearly ten years since the last time I did. This will probably be my last time I think, but if you haven't ever played through this absolute clunky gem of a SNES classic, I still strongly recommend it solely for the music and last 30 minutes alone.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Picayune Dreams ruled. I guess it’s mega short if you’re very good at that type of game, but I am not so I got a fair bit of time out of it. Amazing UI aesthetic, cool soundtrack and sound design, wild enemy visual designs

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i have completed super mario rpg on the switch, which i started last year but didn't finish until last night. the last section of the game isn't great, but at that point you're so overpowered it doesn't take long (except for the stupid puzzle/action rooms which are the worst part of the game, goddamn that quiz is stupid). i decided not to do the optional bosses since they don't seem very rewarding.

i love the characters and chill vibes and this might be the best fun writing nintendo has ever done. 12 hours is the correct length for an rpg like this, didn't overstay its welcome. i'm not sure i am going to go try other mario rpgs now, i've tried some paper marios in the past but bounced off them. maybe some day they'll rerelease the mario & luigi rpgs on switch (i guess just port the 3ds versions?). did you know they made five of those things?

now i'm on to playing spider-man 1. i was going to start on god of war but man after playing through miles i really did want to have more of that game, and this certainly is that. i'm gonna try to play it mainly as a steam deck and podcasts game over the next couple weeks while i work on other games, but i do think i'm gonna beeline through the main story this weekend just because i am so charmed by this peter parker, even if he does appear to be a 30 year old trapped in a 12 year old's body

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 4, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

abraham linksys posted:

maybe some day they'll rerelease the mario & luigi rpgs on switch (i guess just port the 3ds versions?). did you know they made five of those things?

FYI, the first Mario & Luigi is one of the games you get access to in the Switch's emulated games if you have Nintendo's online expansion pack. I would've played it in a heartbeat if I hadn't literally just played through the 3DS remake when it dropped. The remakes are fine, but I love the pixely art on the originals before they switched to the less interesting art style on the newer ones.

e: thinking back, I'm pretty sure all of the sequels made enough use of the DS/3DS' stacked vertical screens to make them tough to do anything with on a regular screen. At least I have all the 3DS versions, but Partners in Time probably isn't coming around on anything new :sigh:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 4, 2024

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

abraham linksys posted:

i love the characters and chill vibes and this might be the best fun writing nintendosquaresoft has ever done.

The post game content is the only actual challenging content in the game. It's only a few boss rematches and doesn't take too much time.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I just beat Baldur's Gate 1, a game I've never played past the tutorial area before 2024.

It was a no-reload solo run, too! Stealth is OP, 10/10 would backstab my way through the game again.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I just beat Baldur's Gate 1, a game I've never played past the tutorial area before 2024.

It was a no-reload solo run, too! Stealth is OP, 10/10 would backstab my way through the game again.

You mean you played a solo character, and never reloaded a save?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

credburn posted:

You mean you played a solo character, and never reloaded a save?
Yes and yes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ineffiable posted:

I hope this thread sticks around. It's a great place to see who is playing what and talk about games we finished.

Anyways, I finished Tyrion Cuthbert Attorney of the Arcane. Great game for ace attorney fans. Really stands on its own in the later half. Can't wait to see what they do with a potential second game.

Tyrion Cuthbert rules, I love how the spells basically have D&D spell list descriptions down and you can be like "um akshully you couldn't have used this spell because it has a fifteen foot range".

Also the romance is very cute.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Didn't beat any video games last year. The closest I got was finishing act 1 of Baldur's Gate 3.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Finished Far: Lone Sails.

Not a bad interesting little game about keeping a machine running as you go through a desolate landscape. I should check out the sequel.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Done with Final fantasy 7 remake, not doing the DLC.
Would like to see where they're going with the plot, but the combat is missing something (among other mechanical issues) means I didn't enjoy playing this as much, and would not play the follow-ups unless they revamp the gameplay.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Finished Dredge. It was cool.

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.

Gun Jam posted:

Done with Final fantasy 7 remake, not doing the DLC.
Would like to see where they're going with the plot, but the combat is missing something (among other mechanical issues) means I didn't enjoy playing this as much, and would not play the follow-ups unless they revamp the gameplay.

For what it's worth, Intergrade changes the combat up in a way that might appeal to you if the main game's combat didn't click. It also smooths out some of the pacing and tedious mechanics. It might be worth playing about 20 minutes and reevaluating if you own the DLC.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RE3 OG. I will play 2 a hundred times again before I ever touch this again. I dislike every single system they've added to this game from 2 aside from the quick turn. Gunpowder is tedium, the live choices are not that interesting compared to actual scenarios, and Nemesis himself is more of a nuisance than a threat.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

War Wizard posted:

The post game content is the only actual challenging content in the game. It's only a few boss rematches and doesn't take too much time.

i generally hate postgame content in RPGs since i am not usually there for the mechanics, but i might give this a shot just to see how hard it is. hopefully it has some more cute dialogue.

Captain Hygiene posted:

FYI, the first Mario & Luigi is one of the games you get access to in the Switch's emulated games if you have Nintendo's online expansion pack. I would've played it in a heartbeat if I hadn't literally just played through the 3DS remake when it dropped. The remakes are fine, but I love the pixely art on the originals before they switched to the less interesting art style on the newer ones.

e: thinking back, I'm pretty sure all of the sequels made enough use of the DS/3DS' stacked vertical screens to make them tough to do anything with on a regular screen. At least I have all the 3DS versions, but Partners in Time probably isn't coming around on anything new :sigh:

good to know! yeah, I've never tried emulating (3)DS games because even though it seems like it's a solved problem on a technical level, the two-screen thing is such a pain in the rear end to deal with, makes sense that that would also make them hard to port

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Cross-posting from Steam thread:

FutureCop posted:

Quik review on Steel Assault:

Seriously, the protagonist echoes my exact same thoughts during the ending. Beaten in just around an hour on normal difficulty, and it doesn't look like there are any branching paths, endings, or significant changes for higher difficulties. Don't get me wrong, I was looking for a short and sweet arcade experience, but this just felt incredibly insubstantial: levels and especially bosses ended before I could blink, and most of those levels weren't much to sneeze at, mostly just being filled with Ninja Gaiden-esque unfair traps. More so than that, I was really excited at what they might do with the whole zipline mechanic, but in the end it felt incredibly token, only used here and there for certain situations instead of being a core mechanic that you can get very skilled with.

Shame because the game is gorgeous and cool, and clearly a lot of love went into it, but compared to other arcade games like Streets of Rage 4 and the like which I can come back to constantly, this feels paltry.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Metroid Prime Remastered

Metroid Prime Remastered is pretty much perfect as far as remasters go. It gives you tons of options for control from throughout various releases, it looks great, and it sounds the same as ever.

I haven't played this game in years and had a great time. That said, it's definitely frontloaded with good moments which become rarer as the game goes on.

Scanning - an absolutely astounding tool for various lore - pretty much goes away after Chozo Ruins for various flavor text, which is a shame. When scanning grass, broken bridges, trees, and ancient writing you might get an impression that whole game is like this, but upon descending to Magmoor for the first time the game pretty much drops the gimmick up until space pirate logs which are cool, but are effectively diaries. You won't see any explanation for any machinery Chozo has left behind or the world in general after you beat the first major boss.

The progression through the game, mainly thanks to my memory, was fairly smooth even with infamous Chozo Artifacts, yet there are a few areas when you'll be tasked with going back and forth through nearly immediately at around mid-game, and no amount of new enemies make a long corridor that is Magmoor more fun to traverse. Frankly, it just makes it more annoying. The way the world is split apart in general makes it hard to remember which elevator connects to what place, as even the map feature is very vague when it comes to area connections. This probably should've been fixed so that elevators on the map have names, for example "To Crashed Frigate", "To Upper Mines", "To Ruins' Entrance" as opposed to "To Magmoor North" which just leads you to fiddling with the map a lot.

When it comes to this remaster in particular, I wish it had a few more extras, as all it can offer is a concept art gallery presented with no context whatsoever (some thought process by the artists would be nice) and a soundtrack, but otherwise it's a definitive Metroid Prime experience. Even if it is rusty in places, it withstood a test of time and is still a blast.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i finished chants of sennaar today. i started this late last year in the runup to goty and, three hours in, i didn't think it would make my top 10, so i set it down. having now finished, it wouldn't quite make my top 10, but goddamn did it come close.

if you haven't seen discussion of this game, it's a deduction puzzle game that draws a lot of comparisons to return of the obra dinn or case of the golden idol. in this one, you're deducing the characters of a language based on written dialog and signage/writing in the environment.

unlike a game like case of the golden idol, this game has you in direct control of a character exploring a large environment, and has a bunch of puzzles outside of the core deduction mechanic. my cliched point of comparison here is myst - you have some logic puzzles that sometimes make use of the language, and sometimes don't, which gives it a lot more depth than i was expecting. it also has several stealth sections, which i thought i'd hate, but ended up being solid little puzzles of their own. the timing is a bit strict but it checkpoints every move you make, so there's no tension in these segments, which is good! this is a mostly relaxing game and i did not want that to be ruined.

about halfway in i was feeling a little down on the game - the second area is a bit overlong, and i'd kinda ruined a couple deductions for myself by inadvent guess-and-checking. much like in obra dinn, as you go along deducing the different language characters, you place them in a journal which gives you an opportunity to validate your answers - and much like in obra dinn, if you guess wrong, the game will tell you, and from that mistake you can almost certainly figure out the correct answers, which is a bit underwhelming. in particular, i did not get the full experience of figuring out the ordering rules of the 3rd language.

but the game really sticks the landing, especially with some smart environmental puzzles in the later stages, and i was glad i stuck with it. i was also shocked when i beat the game and saw this was a six-person dev team, with two credited leads doing the bulk of the design and code. it's a big game in size - in adventure game terms, this thing has a lot of loving screens! - and i'm impressed they made something at this scale.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

RE3 OG. I will play 2 a hundred times again before I ever touch this again. I dislike every single system they've added to this game from 2 aside from the quick turn. Gunpowder is tedium, the live choices are not that interesting compared to actual scenarios, and Nemesis himself is more of a nuisance than a threat.

I've now beat the 3Remake as well. Glad I got this for ten and not sixty. 5 and a half hours for a playthrough, no mercs. Crazy. Alright game but not up to the standards set by the other REmakes. Story is also worse than the Original.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just finished Lil Gator Game. A fantastic little package one can finish in an afternoon, I was not expecting it to be as funny as it was, either.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I beat Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix again but this time beating all the super bosses. As dumb as the story can be I still love this game and think it’s a classic.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Finished Dredge.

Picked this up in the bundle with Dave the Diver after wanting to get to it in 2023 but never quite finding the right time. I enjoyed myself for the most part, but I can't help but feel a little bit disappointed with this one. From the way that I'd heard the game talked about, I think my expectations for what this was going to be like were a bit miscalibrated. I certainly enjoyed the 8 hours I took getting to the end of it, but at the same time I felt like the core mechanical loop of the game was wearing a bit thin for me by that point. The core concept of the game is that it's a Lovecraftian horror fishing game, which is a phenomenal pitch right from the get go. Puttering around in your cute little boat, you'll roam around the map finding fishing spots and harvesting fish via little timing based minigames. When you catch a fish, you then place it into your hold - different fish are different shapes and sizes, and there's a very satisfying space optimisation puzzle that ensues as you try and stuff as many fish as you can around your equipment and other materials you've dredged from the sea. But quickly you'll discover that some of the fish are you pull up are.... strange, and townspeople will warn you not to stay out after dark when the fog rolls in. When you inevitably ignore them, you'll find yourself rapidly getting more and more weary, your sanity slipping away. Rocks seem to jump out at you (a very cool effect where rocks will suddenly literally melt into existence in your path), strange sounds echo in the dark, and are those eyes you can see beyond the lights of your boat or is it just your mind playing tricks on you?

Dredge is at its best, I think, when it's trafficking in mood. It's fun juggling happy-go-lucky daytime fishing adventures with the night time spooky shenanigans, and there were definitely moments while I was out on the water at night that resulted in some tense and startling moments. The main game loop of going out, catching fish and dredging up materials, coming back to port and selling them and slowly upgrading your equipment and boat starts off satisfying but the tuning of it seems all over the place. Early on I felt like progress was pretty slow, but once I eked out upgrades around the middle of the respective upgrade paths I felt strong enough that I pretty much coasted through the back half of the game with thousands of dollars sitting around but no desire or impulse to pursue upgrading myself any further. There's also nothing really mechanically new after the first two hours or so, so if the gameplay loop hasn't grabbed you by this point then there's not really going to be anything else that will change your mind. I also wish the game forced you out at night more - there's so many cool little touches to things that can happen out at night, but if you want to play it safe and hop from port to port it's very possible to barely ever have to go out after dark. I wish that there was more reason to do so.

The story was a competent enough Lovecraft pastiche, generally happy to be told through little bits and pieces of notes pickups and dialogue. I didn't do all the sidequests so I might have just missed it, but I never really felt like there was a big "and now here's all the exposition" moment and the game is stronger for that. I'm also happy that for the ending you're not getting out alive in either instance; either you complete the ritual and doom the world or you throw the book back and right matters, but not without sacrificing yourself in the process. It feels much more appropriately Lovecraftian than a lot of other attempts at that sort of cosmic horror manage. For someone who is grabbed by the gameplay more than I was, there's certainly no shortage of content - I left a couple of sidequests incomplete, and there's a fishing encylopedia to fill out that could keep someone busy for quite a while, not to mention the DLC. Hell, a friend of mine who has been playing this has 28 hours in it - I haven't asked him yet what the hell he was doing for all that time (fishing I guess), but I'll be curious to hear his answer. At this point though I've definitely had my fill.

Screenshots!

Many things near Dredge will burst out of the water near you. Some of them are even nice!

Perfectly filling the cargo hold is an extremely satisfying feeling.

The moody, dense and twisting mangroves were probably my favourite area - finding a clear path at night can be tense.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Terper posted:

I just beat Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising, a prequel story to Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, the spiritual successor to Suikoden that releases later this year. Rising is a companion game that was part of a Kickstarter goal. I actually backed the Kickstarter and got Rising at a discount (and so can you, it's 50% off on Steam rn). It's 10-15 hours long.

Unlike the main game, which is a turn-based RPG just like Suikoden, Rising has some light 2D platforming and simple, easy-to-execute action combat.

The premise is simple: Three of the 100 characters you'll eventually recruit in the main game had a cool little adventure, became friends and built a community before the "real" story started. It's essentially Sidequest: The Game. You get sidequests from the townspeople, go into dungeons and gather materials, rinse and repeat. You don't need to do that and just focus on the main story, but it's incentivized and a fairly core part of the game's content and themes.

I was originally not really planning on playing it, but in hindsight I'm really glad I did. The strongest part is the main trio; they're all very charming and I'm really looking forward to having them in my party in the main game. The story is simple but effective.

I'd give it a hearty recommendation to anyone who's planning on playing the main game.

I was in the same boat of eagerly awaiting the main game but not particularly interested in this title until it became available on PS+ and I'm so glad I decided to give it a try! It impressed me so much and gave me such an extra boost of hype for the main game that I put it at #10 on my goty list last year (out of 29 other jrpgs)!!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Beaten Super Mario RPG Remake

More RPGs should be 10-20 hours long.

I've always adored weird nature of Mario RPG and its breeziness, and nothing's changed in the remake. This is the definitive way to play this game if only due to graphics not being so messy anymore.

That said, I do wish it had a little more to it. The only thing of note added is some post-game content, which is welcome, but it's a little strange that a new difficulty added is an easier one. The game's new mechanics already make it even easier than the original, so I'd rather have a harder or at least a remixed mode.

As a remake, the game features some weird inclusions like cinematic cutscenes with no sound effects whatsoever, and keeps some of the original's weird kinks. If you were to ask me what would go in a remake of this game, I'd mention Yoshi eggs that pop up from certain enemies. It's a cool feature, but it's predetermined in such a way that you don't see them for a long time and then every battle showers you with more exp and coins because you keep encountering a certain enemy.

There's not much to say about this game that hasn't been said. It's a great time. Often quite funny and always charming, and it would be cool to see elements from it escape the copyright hell, as some of the weirder designs are incredibly fun.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I finished Affogato.

It's a neat indie game which is stylistically very heavily based on Persona (to the point of having the main character live in a coffee shop and representing character relationships with tarot cards!) Similarly to Persona, it's like half visual novel and half actual gameplay. The gameplay is a pretty unique puzzle game with some tactics and very minor RPG aspects, but if you're playing the game, you're probably playing it for the story and characters.

What am I even looking at here?

It was really enjoyable, and I'll probably replay it at some point to re-experience the story and try to hang out with some different characters.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I beat Far: Changing Tides

I even did the prior game: Far: Lone Sails.

Both games rule. They stratched a certain itch of keeping a huge machine going and exploring desolate wastelands.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I finished the Super Mario RPG remake in a little under 12 hours.

I have very fond memories of beating the original ~30 years ago, and while this remake is technically an upgrade in every way, I found the game just OK. I think we've come a long way since position-less turn based RPGs.

also it was super easy. I didn't grind at all and the final boss was the only time I had to heal more than once in combat.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Enchanted Hat posted:

I finished Affogato.

It's a neat indie game which is stylistically very heavily based on Persona (to the point of having the main character live in a coffee shop and representing character relationships with tarot cards!) Similarly to Persona, it's like half visual novel and half actual gameplay. The gameplay is a pretty unique puzzle game with some tactics and very minor RPG aspects, but if you're playing the game, you're probably playing it for the story and characters.

What am I even looking at here?

It was really enjoyable, and I'll probably replay it at some point to re-experience the story and try to hang out with some different characters.

I need to get back to this, I was actually enjoying the gameplay more than the Persona interactions then chapter 4 had a crazy high difficulty spike with new enemy types and escorting supplies I know I could've just turned it down to easy but Dave the Diver came out around the same time and that sucked me in instead

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I just beat Lies of P.

Good game, good story, great visuals, excellent performance, interesting fights, frustrating parkour, horrible community.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Holy poo poo the last set of levels and the finale in Pizza Tower are spectacular. It's a truly great game, a shame I didn't finish it in time for the '23 list.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Just finished 100%ing Ghostwire: Tokyo. A game well worth the price of admission even just for the incredible, incredible assetwork that went into it. If playing, note that the postlaunch "tatari" zero XP mode is for masochists and unlocks nothing. Generally, the difficulty of this game is a bit weird- several semipassive systems buff the player's HP and XP with continued play and minor exploration. This combined with overtuning of enemy health and limited ammo means that the game feels fairly unresponsive and bone-crunching when you start (at least on Hard), and once you hit some basic upgrades around the middle (especially equippables that boost damage or double currency income), the game suddenly flips to pretty trivial. So, basically, play on Normal.

It's hard to overstate how gorgeous this game is; there's lush detail poured into all sorts of gorgeous, nuanced environments, many of which seem to exist entirely for their own sake. Similar close attention is paid to many, many aspects of design, with polish on almost everything nearing a mirror sheen.

As appears to be common with Tango games, there's weird gaps in the plot and underused assets that strongly suggest some sort of major cutting or rewrite occurred during development, with the game world probably only a fraction of what was intended (though it's still plenty). Some of the missing material, including an especially cool haunted school, was added postlaunch, and it appears a lot of additional assets that went unused were instead worked into the really incredibly well-made "long tail" endless mode, Spider's Thread: among other things it's clear the entire region around and including Tokyo Tower were going to be navigable, and the fully modeled criminal characters who frame the mode do nothing while looking suspiciously similar to main story characters in several ways.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Discendo Vox posted:

Just finished 100%ing Ghostwire: Tokyo. A game well worth the price of admission even just for the incredible, incredible assetwork that went into it. If playing, note that the postlaunch "tatari" zero XP mode is for masochists and unlocks nothing. Generally, the difficulty of this game is a bit weird- several semipassive systems buff the player's HP and XP with continued play and minor exploration. This combined with overtuning of enemy health and limited ammo means that the game feels fairly unresponsive and bone-crunching when you start (at least on Hard), and once you hit some basic upgrades around the middle (especially equippables that boost damage or double currency income), the game suddenly flips to pretty trivial. So, basically, play on Normal.

It's hard to overstate how gorgeous this game is; there's lush detail poured into all sorts of gorgeous, nuanced environments, many of which seem to exist entirely for their own sake. Similar close attention is paid to many, many aspects of design, with polish on almost everything nearing a mirror sheen.

As appears to be common with Tango games, there's weird gaps in the plot and underused assets that strongly suggest some sort of major cutting or rewrite occurred during development, with the game world probably only a fraction of what was intended (though it's still plenty). Some of the missing material, including an especially cool haunted school, was added postlaunch, and it appears a lot of additional assets that went unused were instead worked into the really incredibly well-made "long tail" endless mode, Spider's Thread: among other things it's clear the entire region around and including Tokyo Tower were going to be navigable, and the fully modeled criminal characters who frame the mode do nothing while looking suspiciously similar to main story characters in several ways.

I loved just walking around Shibuya and taking it in - it's meticulously decorated and full of details, especially when you go into a building and see every single bespoke item placed there. Game's flaws aside, it's a great representation of the place.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just finished up Blossom Tales 2, a fun 2D Zelda clone, over the last week. My favorite thing about these games is that they're framed as a story the main character's grandfather is telling her and her brother. It makes for a lot of fun narrative moments, like where they occasionally interrupt the story to squabble about items or story events, letting you pick whichever one sounds more fun.

It sticks pretty closely to a handful of the usual Zelda items, but it's at its best when it tweaks them or does something new. The mirror shield is fun, it reflects stuff like usual, but now there's a mechanic where you maneuver around to use the reflected beams to kill enemies or activate switches. There's also a new item - it looks like you're going to get a jumping ability, but instead you get a teleporter that sets you up for a few different ongoing puzzle types. Lots of fun.

It's definitely on the easy side, but that didn't bother me. I had a good time solving puzzles and enjoying the charming mood, I definitely recommend it as a nice relaxing time.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i've completed Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising, a game that i have spent 13 hours with and yet still have to look up the title every time i want to reference it. if you're gonna make up a word, you gotta do better than "eiyuden". there's no loving way i'm gonna remember that poo poo. never mind it's a japanese word though googling it only showed references to the game

anyways i think this game kind of sucked! i saw it come up in the GOTY thread a few times, and wanted some kind of small-scale chill thing to throw in between some of the big AAA heavy hitters I'm working on. and, well, it did suck me in enough to see it through to the credits. and as a $15 game that was a kickstarter bonus and is intended for an ad for a game coming out later this year, i have to grade it somewhat on a curve. but man.

i think this game is the definition of squandered potential. to explain what it is for those who haven't seen it: it's a side-scrolling rpg, split up into a handful of separate dungeons, with a theoretical focus on loot and... i guess you could call it "crafting?" it sort of has a town-building core, where you're helping a town rebuild and as you complete side quests you upgrade the town buildings to have better stuff to buy. the various loot you get from monsters is used to craft upgrades to your weapons and gear, and to turn in for other side quests.

the problem is none of these systems loving matter. there's three characters you play as, and the one cool gimmick they came up with is that each character has an attack on a face button, so you're swapping between the characters and doing some simple combo-ing as you fight. but each character has one weapon and one armor set, and you upgrade it as you go. there are zero choices in these upgrades, it's just a linear progression gated by the town upgrades and whether or not you've reached the dungeons that contain the later items you need for these upgrade.

there's so many systems that just don't loving matter. there's an inn where you can get buffs for stats, but there's no reason to get any buff but luck because you really need to get the drop rate up. same with the accessories; why bother with a strength up when you can get a 15% higher chance of rare ore dropping? there's a whole food system where you can craft recipes for healing and permanent stat upgrades, but the upgrades are loving meaningless and the healing is meaningless because you can only eat in town where you can just go to the inn to sleep for free (yes it wipes your inn buff, but the inn buffs cost less to reapply than the food would).

there's a whole system where you can sell items, and the early game everyone's constantly joking about the tax rate, and none of that matters because you'll never sell anything other than the items that don't have any use other than to get money for selling them. it makes way more sense to hoard everything and use the materials exchange to get rid of the early-game materials.

the side quests have this stupid system where the quests you can pick up are shown on a bulletin board in town and then you have to go to the NPCs listed there to go pick up quests. why the gently caress wouldn't you just show the NPCs on the minimap? the quests themselves are fine but desperately needed a more likeable cast of townspeople and quests that actually had full arcs (yakuza style). the recurring NPCs tended to be the worst, like the guy who keeps saying creepy things about the town's mayor, a 16 year old girl. rough. actually maybe it's good that guy didn't get an arc.

the combat itself is really the biggest wasted potential. THE DODGE AND PARRY IN THIS GAME SUCK, and i have no idea why. all the fights i lost were because i got trapped in a corner and couldn't iframe my way past large enemies and just got hosed up. the main character has a dodge that moves her about 4 pixels, to the point that the first enemy you encounter with a dodge-tell is almost impossible to dodge without dodging into the enemy sprite, which DOES DAMAGE. you can fix almost everything about this game's combat by just making it so colliding with regular enemies doesn't do damage. why the gently caress do some side scrollers do that. the parry, meanwhile, has both a weirdly long wind-up and a weirdly short block time, so timing it is a massive pain in the rear end.

the story was fine. it wasn't great. the dialogue had its moments. i don't even have anything interesting to put in spoiler tags, really. it did an okay job of getting me invested in, like, six characters that i assume will be part of the 100 in eiyuden chronicle. it sure as hell didn't get me interested in the broader world, which appears to barely exist. i don't know if that's because they hadn't locked in the lore by the time they were working on this game, or if there's just nothing interesting in that world to pull on.

i started this review slightly playing up how heated i am about this game, but by this paragraph i realize i am actually kind of mad about my time spent with this game. it looked really nice, i enjoyed some of the numbers going up, and the music was good, but i really should have played any other JRPG. please avoid this. go play an atelier or something. i've had WitchSpring R on my maybe-play list for a while after a friend's recommendation, and i really wish i'd impulse bought that instead of this. gah.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 9, 2024

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

also holy gently caress the "town building" was TERRIBLE. the buildings just go from ruined buildings, to identical straw-roofed buildings, to identical straw-roofed buildings with frames. gently caress YOU! if you're going to put "town building" in the description of your game make your town look loving interesting!

e: also if anyone's wondering i completed the "platinum" stamp card and will not be touching the black card. also this meant the last few story fights were totally trivial because i was fully outleveled/geared for them. at least that's standard for the genre

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 9, 2024

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Discendo Vox posted:

it's not a subtle moment, but I really like the spooky feeling of a space that's supposed to be teeming with people being totally empty. I should get back into GW:T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

abraham linksys posted:

also holy gently caress the "town building" was TERRIBLE. the buildings just go from ruined buildings, to identical straw-roofed buildings, to identical straw-roofed buildings with frames. gently caress YOU! if you're going to put "town building" in the description of your game make your town look loving interesting!

e: also if anyone's wondering i completed the "platinum" stamp card and will not be touching the black card. also this meant the last few story fights were totally trivial because i was fully outleveled/geared for them. at least that's standard for the genre

I'm sorry you had such a bad time with the game. As someone who has a lot of appreciation for this title I can honestly say the majority of your complaints are completely valid. Everything in the game is very simple and basic to the point where its practically a mobile game. As a big fan of the Suikoden series however i will say where Eiyuden Chronicle Rising succeeds is how well it manages to capture the feel and spirit of a Suikoden game and what that possibly means for the main title coming out in a few months. Yes, I put this game at #10 on my goty list purely because it's given me confidence in an as yet to be released title :) . Fwiw I only ended up playing it because it became available with my ps+ subscription and probably wouldn't have paid money directly for it. Are you a fan of the Suikoden series? Are you planning on playing Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes?