Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Nah, if you've got damaged teeth that look unsightly and constantly ache, obviously that's going to have a deleterious effect on your self-esteem and general mood. I broke a veneer on a front tooth and just did not want to look people in the face until I'd got it fixed, god knows what I'd have done if I couldn't afford it.

I was thinking the effect would be more biological - if your teeth are constantly damaged/infected/inflamed, then that is consuming nutrients and immune system resources that otherwise would be keeping your brain maintained, making degradation and damage accumulate faster than otherwise. The bloodstreams are very close, think how brainfreeze spreads from the mouth to your head.

The social and economic effects on mental health matter, but at the end of the day the brain is a biological construct and mental health issues have biological root causes. Whether we can identify or treat them is another matter (we usually can't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Google Store.

(That's a website, not an instruction)

Thanks *google shopping searches the price of a new phone* fffffuuuuuck me

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Actually yeah, I just looked at the Google Store UK. I usually get my phones from the Google Store US and the prices are not even remotely comparable. Must be one of those Brexit Dividends :toot:

Might get a nice refurbed Pixel 6 or 7 (or 6a or 7a) on Amazon or any or a billion other sites for much cheaper

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Tesseraction posted:

try backmarket

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tesseraction posted:

And yes it keeps letting me make my terrible posts.
Nokia are still selling feature phones :v:

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away

Runcible Cat posted:

Oh, that's going to be fun, I've got chemo on Tuesday. Hopefully London Overground doesn't include Southeastern or it's an hour and a half bus ride. Or seeing if I can fight my way onto a riverbus I guess.

I'm on Southeastern and they've never been included in TFL overground strikes.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I was thinking the effect would be more biological - if your teeth are constantly damaged/infected/inflamed, then that is consuming nutrients and immune system resources that otherwise would be keeping your brain maintained, making degradation and damage accumulate faster than otherwise. The bloodstreams are very close, think how brainfreeze spreads from the mouth to your head.

The social and economic effects on mental health matter, but at the end of the day the brain is a biological construct and mental health issues have biological root causes. Whether we can identify or treat them is another matter (we usually can't).

More than anything, being in constant pain is ruinous to mental health.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ooh, nice

although I bought a refurbished tablet once and it poo poo itself basically instantly... but this has a warranty so maybe less to worry about

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1742836436745748868?s=46

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonna get one of them blue plaques installed on my hole for how powerful it is.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Tesseraction posted:

I recently replaced my 2018 moto G (since it was now a piece of poo poo and the battery was dying) with a new moto G32 for £90

It's pretty good and recently got an update to Android 13. I'm not sure what more I would get if I paid £500+ for a phone. Wireless charging would be nice I guess.
Sadly it still runs awful.apk.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/jan/04/john-mcdonnell-labour-britain-far-right-risk

John McDonnell has time travelled from 2011 to write a Guardian article. Apparently there's a risk of the rise of the far right!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean, he is right that Labour shouldn't be full of snivelling cunts who suck and should die.

Pity is the Labour spokesman reply perfectly encapsulates why they suck and should die.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Forensic Sir Keith, with his tight grip on the party and politics, has just claimed at his press conference that he has no information, zero, nada on why his close friend and advisor was a regular visitor to Nonce Island.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tedsville posted:

I'm on Southeastern and they've never been included in TFL overground strikes.

Cool, thanks. I've been WFH the last 4 years or so so wasn't sure if they'd become intertwined.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

smellmycheese posted:

The Forensic Sir Keith, with his tight grip on the party and politics, has just claimed at his press conference that he has no information, zero, nada on why his close friend and advisor was a regular visitor to Nonce Island.

Oh well, case closed. Certainly wouldn't want to start a years-long media smear campaign based on that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

Oh there is that element but I also seem to recall a study about the links between poor oral hygiene and mental decline, suggesting a link between bacteria at the back of the throat and them getting to the tail of the brain stem.

https://west85thdental.com/10-health-issues-caused-by-bad-oral-health/

diabetes & dementia

https://www.nia.nih.gov/news/large-study-links-gum-disease-dementia

Large study links gum disease with dementia
July 09, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

You can get a nice (IMHO) android phone for about £100.
Phone calls, texts, whatsapp, authy, xero, salesforce, google, SA app, what else does a woman need?
Joking I have loads of apps on this phone and it's dual sim.
And the battery lasts for ages.

Mine is a Motorola E30 and I just saw one on amazon (:guillotine:) for under £70 but that might be refurbished, didn't look into the details.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

smellmycheese posted:

He'd love to tell you! But he can't, because he doesn't know. Never crossed his mind or his desk.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It deserves to be posted in video form

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1742867232500191669

:allears:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

smellmycheese posted:

I'm surprised we're not discussing Nonce Island documents right now actually.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Former Director of Public Prosecutions: ":shrug:"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Weird how this is one area Mr Forensic Leader just cannot ask any more questions. Literally impossible. Every time he has Mandelson over for dinner they eat in silence.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Some fantastic big brain centrist takes on Starmers drizzling wet fart of a speech today

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

PriorMarcus posted:

Prince Andrew is mentioned 38 times lol

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Had no problems with this site for a great condition 2nd hand phone last year https://www.backmarket.co.uk/

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

smellmycheese posted:

Even more if you count the times he's mentioned as just Andrew.

Also, Bill Clinton "likes them young" and Stephen Hawkins watched an underage orgy.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

fuctifino posted:

Stephen Hawking is trending on the dead bird site. It must be something to do with all his science stuff that he did.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

smellmycheese posted:

That was £12million well spent to get off.
And they were trying to bring back the Sweaty Nonce into the public spotlight too a few months ago lol.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah this is the part that genuinely baffles me, what possible advantage is there to being an animal and knowing your tooth is busted? Until a sufficiently advanced ape came along it's not like any animal can DO anything about it, it just risks so much pain they stop eating. And said ape had to keep going for a good long time before we got the tools and understanding to effectively deal with anything. Why aren't teeth just a solid lump of enamel?

Hell nevermind the eyes, maybe it's teeth that are evidence of Young Earth, they only make even a little bit if sense if the species starts out already developed enough to figure out a basic solution to tooth pain.

Apologies in advance for engaging in another derail, UKMT

A couple of things: Teeth are, as pointed out earlier, the hardest tissue in your body. For certain material properties that have to do with things like crack propagation and the general difficulty in mineralizing tissue, teeth have a relatively complicated microstructure. Basically, the hardened enamel (in many mammals, anyway) is composed of teeny tiny crystals, the 'idea' (survival trait) being that interfaces between crystals and lumps of crystals act as barriers for crack propagation when the tooth bites down on something hard. The very, very painful story of a poster cracking their molar in half notwithstanding, generally this works, teeth chip off pieces etc. but rarely get completely busted in normal mastication. If you get punched in the face, that's your problem, is evolution's answer I suppose.

And this is where the nerves come in. A lot of mammals, humans included, masticate material that has dirt in it. (Or bones, or other hard things) Of course the idea behind super markets is, among other things, to reduce the amount of dirt, but for non-domesticated mammals in particular your dental life-span (and consequently your own life-span) is tied to the amount of wear your tooth surfaces experience. Rule of thumb: More dirt, more wear, shorter life-span. It's more complicated and different animals have different types of tooth 'strategies' to better suit their diet, like birds and their beaks, but you get the gist. So for your grazing animal, for example, it's pretty handy to know how much you're chewing on dirt by how much sensation it generates. You also feel temperature etc., but the major factor for the utility of the nerves is regulating tooth wear. And because of the complicated structure outlined earlier, maturing teeth is often a time-consuming process, that's why humans have milk teeth (baby teeth?), you have a spare set while your proper ones are hardening. Some mammals have teeth that continue to grow throughout their lifespan sort of like a tree, but this means their teeth have to be worn down constantly or you get other kinds of problems, so human teeth in particular had natural selection choose the scheme we have. So, you gotta feel pain to know to be mindful of your teeth. And because evolution isn't overly concerned, for lack of a better term, with the survival of individuals, getting chronic tooth pain or otherwise majorly screwing your masticatory apparatus up is an 'acceptable' death condition, better luck to your siblings with their chewing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

happyhippy posted:

That was £12million well spent to get off.
And they were trying to bring back the Sweaty Nonce into the public spotlight too a few months ago lol.

He really is the "Captain Tom's Family Spa" of princes.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Will tooth issues stop you having sex? because that's all a man has to do to satisfy evolution.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Generally speaking, the male also has to be able to eat in order to engage in snoo-snoo, at least long-term. It doesn't always catch on your first try, no matter what they told you at school!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's important to remember too that evolution only selects out problems that stop you having offspring. If issues arise after you'd probably have had your kids, even if they are quite bad, debilitating, miserable issues, they won't necessarily get eliminated by natural selection.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Rappaport posted:

Apologies in advance for engaging in another derail, UKMT

Don't apologise, that was a really interesting answer, it was a pleasure to read.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Whole world seems to be melting down that Heathrow and Gatwick have posters stating that if you witnessed warcrimes in Israel/Gaza to report them as part of the International Criminal Courts investigation.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

a new twist in the Somerset Gimp saga, well well well

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

Stephen Hawking is trending on the dead bird site. It must be something to do with all his science stuff that he did.

Before anyone posts it - the supposed document going round that claims Hawking enjoyed visiting Nonce Island to watch naked midgets perform calculations on a high up blackboard is, sadly, fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
When my last contract ran out, I just bought a perfectly nice Nokia smartphone from Argos for £150, I think? It works, it's robust and it does absolutely everything that I need a smartphone to do.