Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Animal-Mother posted:

Jesus
Christ
Made
Seattle
Under
Pressure

You can't get lost, dude.

**blooop**

Your damaged sub-conscious would like you to know, that there is a song by the musician "Vanilla Ice" which samples a song called "Under Pressure".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And now I'm just picturing a DE/Frasier crossover.

Heck, a call-in radio station with a wide variety of topics being a thing makes MORE sense in Revachol.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Crain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TJL16o8Po0

Found a new DE video essay of sorts. I really liked it, obviously or I wouldn't be sharing it. It carries on the sort of rambling emotional weight that the game has really well.
The full quote by the Insulindian Phasmid is something I think about a lot. Nice video. The references to Homer mesh well with other things I've been reading. I've often thought about the difference between character driven fiction, where a story revolves around a protagonist, and fate driven fiction where characters have no choice but to react and feel in a world they cannot control. So much fiction these days is the former. Disco Elysium and Homer are the later, and they feel more true to me. We wish there was a character who could chose things, but that's not how the world works. Ancient stories supposing capricious gods toy with mortal lives have more truth to them. In fact it is the structures of human societies that are huge and omnipotent. A force that renders the individual impotent, for which the gods are a good approximation. How do we live with that.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
"Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past. The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living. And just as they seem to be occupied with revolutionizing themselves and things, creating something that did not exist before, precisely in such epochs of revolutionary crisis they anxiously conjure up the spirits of the past to their service, borrowing from them names, battle slogans, and costumes in order to present this new scene in world history in time-honored disguise and borrowed language."

rings as true as ever.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Eiba posted:

The references to Homer mesh well with other things I've been reading. I've often thought about the difference between character driven fiction, where a story revolves around a protagonist, and fate driven fiction where characters have no choice but to react and feel in a world they cannot control. So much fiction these days is the former. Disco Elysium and Homer are the later, and they feel more true to me. ... Ancient stories supposing capricious gods toy with mortal lives have more truth to them. In fact it is the structures of human societies that are huge and omnipotent. A force that renders the individual impotent, for which the gods are a good approximation. How do we live with that.

There's a lot of meat on that bone. :hmmyes: The Wire also partakes of that tradition.

"[We've] ripped off the Greeks: Sophocles, Aeschylus, Euripides. Not funny boy—not Aristophanes. We've basically taken the idea of Greek tragedy, and applied it to the modern city-state. [. . .] What we were trying to do was take the notion of Greek tragedy, of fated and doomed people, and instead of these Olympian gods, indifferent, venal, selfish, hurling lightning bolts and hitting people in the rear end for no good reason—instead of those guys whipping it on Oedipus or Achilles, it's the postmodern institutions . . . those are the indifferent gods." - David Simon

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
My coworker and I were talking about The Wire today and I think I figured out how I'm going to guide my character for my second playthrough of DE. I'm just going to make a character from The Wire and make all of my decisions accordingly. For maximum stupidity I'm thinking Herc, but The Bunk could be great for different reasons.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Railing Kill posted:

My coworker and I were talking about The Wire today and I think I figured out how I'm going to guide my character for my second playthrough of DE. I'm just going to make a character from The Wire and make all of my decisions accordingly. For maximum stupidity I'm thinking Herc, but The Bunk could be great for different reasons.

The Jamrock District way.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

CJacobs posted:

**blooop**

Your damaged sub-conscious would like you to know, that there is a song by the musician "Vanilla Ice" which samples a song called "Under Pressure".

This reminds me that DMX canonically exists in DE.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Railing Kill posted:

You see these, DuBois? You see 'em? These are for you. These are for you for as long as it takes me to get even.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

This reminds me that DMX canonically exists in DE.

eh, or will exist. I'm willing to chalk those lines up to the pale.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

DMX’s existence is a cornerstone of reality in DE

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I got this Oranjese wench in my gunsights, so to speak, and, uh... I am dangerously close to engorged when, all of a fuckin' sudden, out of fuckin' nowhere, fuckin' Detective fuckin' Harrier Dubois pops into my head

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Now I want the Homer Simpson peanut scene but with McNulty crashing his car.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

christmas boots posted:

You see these, DuBois? You see 'em? These are for you. These are for you for as long as it takes me to get even.

zenguitarman posted:

The Jamrock District way.

I think Herc is more different from my first character than Rawls, at least in terms of stats. But holy poo poo would Rawls be fun to RP.

General Battuta posted:

I got this Oranjese wench in my gunsights, so to speak, and, uh... I am dangerously close to engorged when, all of a fuckin' sudden, out of fuckin' nowhere, fuckin' Detective fuckin' Harrier Dubois pops into my head

Likewise for Jay Landsman. Just out there casually thumbing through skin mags all over Revochol while waxing poetic about the dumbest cop poo poo. :allears:

Come to think of it, Landsman might be too close to an art cop. My first character was an art cop, so I'm trying to avoid it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you wanna find a good Copotype read David Simon's Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets

Harry Edgerton feels the most Harrier DuBois of the Baltimore homicide cops in that book. He's a college educated dude who became a cop because he thought it might be interesting and was into jazz, fine wines, and arcade video games. Also he was apparently very driven and good at interrogation but was generally disliked by his colleagues for being different, a bit antisocial (he preferred working alone so he would just sorta disappear sometimes when he was supposed to be working with someone), and for not giving the slightest poo poo about department politics.

Though I should state that it's been like a decade since I read the book so my memory might be hazy

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I WOULD LIKE TO REGISTER A COMPLAINT.

got a friend some merch for xmas including some postcards, and there does not seem to be a regular portrait of Harry available. You have to choose between the RCM Pack with no Expression, or the Character 1 pack which is shaved no-Expression which is clearly a crime against all that is good in the world.

(I got him the Church pack because Egghead is his favorite and the necktie)

seriously considered kim's jacket or the FALN set but $$$

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

shaved no expression is a million times better than shaved with expression

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

seriously considered kim's jacket or the FALN set but $$$

I have both (and the pants) and they're all fantastic. Highly recommended.

The FALN is less versatile but the top can be paired with a bunch of poo poo; goes well for a tech-ware look.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

buying anything from the za/um atelier is giving ilmar kompus more money for successfully stealing the ip

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I played this for the first time. For some reason thought it was supposed to be more depressing. Harry's home station really loves him and Kim even follows you. Plus the whole cryptid thing. This game really gives you the ability to make up with almost everyone.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Except the one person who matters :qq:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Except the one person who matters :qq:
Oh yeah I didnt think about her much. Harry was so far past the point of cohabitability at game start that I'll take keeping my police fam as a W.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My partner going "well if he's only doing speed and hallucinogens and not drinking that's a positive sign" was the high point of the game for me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Acknowledging that Kim is A Square is part of the grieving process

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oddly enough there's some logic there, really. Alcohol is definitely doing the heavy lifting as his drug habits go, and it's the most easily available one- the hardest to quit.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

There's no weed in Elysium. Purple coke? Methamphetamines? Sure. Never a mention of weed, though.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Got a Steam achievement for how mad I've made Lt. Kitsuragi. Grumpy Gus doesn't like how Herc does policing the western district Jamrock way. Apparently attempting (and failing, against odds) to punch children and actually punching Measurehead out are frowned upon in the 57th. :rolleyes:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The first time through, during the slow-mo I thought Kim was leaning in to get a better look at my sick spin kick. On the second playthrough, I noticed that he's actually reaching into his coat just in case he's about to need his gun. Oops.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Organic Lube User posted:

There's no weed in Elysium. Purple coke? Methamphetamines? Sure. Never a mention of weed, though.

The game posted:

KIM KITSURAGI – "I have, on a few occasions -- when I was young and foolish -- smoked hemp."

ENCYCLOPEDIA [Legendary: Success] – Tetrahydrocannabinol is the psychoactive substance in the cannabis plant, commonly known as 'hemp'. It's one of the most common recreational substances in the world.

REACTION SPEED [Challenging: Success] – He's waiting for a reaction.

KIM KITSURAGI – "Is that secret enough for you?"

ELECTROCHEMISTRY [Medium: Success] – It's barely a secret. Everyone's smoked hemp.

YOU – "That's not a secret. Everyone has smoked cannabis."

KIM KITSURAGI – "No, there are couple of people who haven't smoked cannabis. I'm sure of that."

EMPATHY [Legendary: Success] –
There's a hint of defensiveness in his voice. Even this minor act of rebellion is important to the lieutenant's self-construction.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I've never seen this interaction before. There's still little morsels in this game to put a big dumb smile on my face

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

It's one of the hardest checks in the entire game: you must out-Authority Kim himself.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The weed convo was added in one of the patches after the schism and IMO it is of pretty questionable provenance. In hindsight it just doesn't quite pass the smell test

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

No Mods No Masters posted:

The weed convo was added in one of the patches after the schism and IMO it is of pretty questionable provenance. In hindsight it just doesn't quite pass the smell test

argh

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No idea if they had any further plans to keep patching in stuff like that, but I am kind of glad they got dragged so hard for the photo mode update if it prompted them to just leave the loving game alone

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...Did anyone ever actually use the photo mode?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It probably gets some use for memes and videos, but then again they might just use the model rips they've had from the start.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This may or may not have been the only usage of it I saw, but it's certainly the only one I remembered

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I've used it one time to mock the argument of Trump's legal team that a POTUS is not an officer of the US.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

...Evrart kinda does look a bit like Senator Armstrong.

Also Kingpin, but that's obvious. I accidentally mentally generated a fanfic with the Crabman becoming a Spider-Man. I'm still wondering what skill Spider-Sense would be.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

he’s also similar to Armstrong, in that he’s a piece of poo poo that weird nerds like because they think he’s right