Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I have finally been able to sort and catalog my GDQ event shirt collection. I want to show it off, obviously, but I’m also looking to complete the set..

AGDQ 2020 was the first event I watched, and it got me hooked, and it has a special place in my heart. If you’ve got leads on that event’s hoodie or other wearable merch I would be embarrassingly excited to hear about them. Right before I got serious with collecting someone posted a red AGDQ 2020 shirt on Mercari, and I dawdled too long, and I (clearly) am still kicking myself over it.

I miss buying GDQ shirts. I haven't bought one since they upped the postal fees to "astronomical" across the pond. Some years ago you could get a shirt with 4€ or so shipping fees. I have quite a few from previous years, think the last one I got was a mint green Ufouria shirt with Shades on it (AGDQ 2020).

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i need new glover shirts from 2018 or whenever that was. maybe i can find someone on aliexpress

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I don’t have anything older than 2015. I’m not even sure that there WERE shirts made for 2014 and earlier.

I'm pretty sure the first shirts were from 2012.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Dr. Stab posted:

I'm pretty sure the first shirts were from 2012.

I tried to find the Yetee's promotional images from each year (that show all the shirts) but older ones are hard to find and blurry. I think they may all be available on FaceBook or Twitter, but I had no luck searching. Having a reference image lets me figure out if a poorly-labeled item I see for sale is relevant to me or not.

Which is to say, I wouldn't know a 2012 merch item if it bit me in the rear end, and that's disappointing.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I tried to find the Yetee's promotional images from each year (that show all the shirts) but older ones are hard to find and blurry. I think they may all be available on FaceBook or Twitter, but I had no luck searching. Having a reference image lets me figure out if a poorly-labeled item I see for sale is relevant to me or not.

Which is to say, I wouldn't know a 2012 merch item if it bit me in the rear end, and that's disappointing.

would having this help? it's my first shirt and the fact that it's called "serious time 2" leads me to believe there was at least a 1.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Oooh.

It does, actually; that has the style of the "ensemble" shirts, but in context it's pretty clearly the event shirt, and the year is only on the sleeve instead of within the image. So the image styling has definitely evolved, which tells me that I shouldn't sleep on something that has the Yetee-ish look about it, even if it's not obviously GDQ-related.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJ5UuknsHU

This is completely insane.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

And here I thought I was good at Tetris back when I started beating 9-5 for fun on the gameboy... The competitive Tetris scene is just unreal.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

the nes tetris scene seems like it's made up exclusively of kids too young to drive and middle-aged dudes with nothing in between and that's cool. like for years you'd just see old dudes in the tetris championships and then all of a sudden it's nothing but progressively younger kids with bizarre techniques dominating

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i don't understand what people see in NES tetris over modern tetris but i'm happy for them

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

would having this help? it's my first shirt and the fact that it's called "serious time 2" leads me to believe there was at least a 1.

There indeed was - this is the first Serious Time shirt:

And here's the third one since I saw it nearby in the bin I keep my old GDQ/RPGLB shirts that don't fit in:

I forget if the difference between attendee and not for these was the label on the sleeve/back, if they were even available to the public or if it was only people who went.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

There were indeed non-attendee versions of those sold on the yetee during the event. Source: just checked the sda forum. Also, since everything was done via the sda forum, I can tell you there were exactly 55 agdq 2012 attendee shirts distributed.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Rubellavator posted:

the nes tetris scene seems like it's made up exclusively of kids too young to drive and middle-aged dudes with nothing in between and that's cool. like for years you'd just see old dudes in the tetris championships and then all of a sudden it's nothing but progressively younger kids with bizarre techniques dominating

some of that's come up because optimal play on the classic nes tetris involves a very particular playing style because of the game's high drop speed and abysmal move speed. the new kids are in because the new method of doing it fucks up your hands and they have yet to succumb, so i hear.

repiv posted:

i don't understand what people see in NES tetris over modern tetris but i'm happy for them

if i had to guess, ease of access and universality. nes tetris is nes tetris no matter when or where you play it, and it's easy to acquire. every modern version of tetris is more or less completely different from one another.

it also has an actual kill screen whereas other tetris variants typically have infinite spin / move reset

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zamujasa posted:

some of that's come up because optimal play on the classic nes tetris involves a very particular playing style because of the game's high drop speed and abysmal move speed. the new kids are in because the new method of doing it fucks up your hands and they have yet to succumb, so i hear.

Rolling should be less hard on your hands than hypertapping, as I understand it. You can use four fingers from one hand for your movement inputs, and they don't have to press the same place, because you've turned the entire back of the gamepad into a "button".

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
nes tetris is basically "can you tap the button 20 times a second just to move the piece where you want it before it falls too far", which is not going to do good things to your hands

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jabor posted:

nes tetris is basically "can you tap the button 20 times a second just to move the piece where you want it before it falls too far", which is not going to do good things to your hands

with rolling it's "can you tap each of your fingers 5 times per second" which is much less strenuous than tapping one finger 20 times per second

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-BZ5-Q48lE

The above video goes into the history of input methods for NES Tetris, and how rolling works. Take a look at around 3:20 to skip to the rolling segment. It really doesn't look at all bad to me; it's a similar intensity as playing any other videogame.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Can't be as bad as that one rowing minigame from Mario Party.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

hypertapping is really what hosed people up with nes tetris, rolling is much easier on the hands.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that'd do it, the last major development i had heard of was hypertapping. rolling looks similar to something i remember doing as a kid, just much faster.

the video of the worn-out controller, too, drat. nostalgia blast for the classic rectangle.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Dr. Stab posted:

There were indeed non-attendee versions of those sold on the yetee during the event. Source: just checked the sda forum. Also, since everything was done via the sda forum, I can tell you there were exactly 55 agdq 2012 attendee shirts distributed.

What is this forum, and would I be able to join or at least quietly lurk?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Hungry Squirrel posted:

What is this forum, and would I be able to join or at least quietly lurk?

Speed demos archive. Still around, still has forums.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

repiv posted:

as somebody who plays a ton of modern tetris it's fun to go back to the boomer style now and then because without things like long next queues and 7-bag randomizing you really do have to approach how you play the game differently. the stuff you need to think about changes a lot. it's fun!

honestly, classic tetris and modern tetris should be treated like two entirely different games.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Here's my SGDQ2014 shirt from the Humble Bundle

I wore it for about 7 years before it started to fall apart lmao, then started wearing it to the gym (which... accelerated the decomposition)

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i wore my glover shirt for like a year even though it immediately shrunk to XXXXXXS after being washed a single time

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

Kirby began to wonder if he shouldn't have just eaten the Nemesis, instead.
Heya, speed-goons! Been a long time since I posted, uh... anywhere on the forums. Let's catch up later, go out for a drink - that sort of thing (if you're up for it.)

But first, a proposition:

You have: Charitable donations; witty comments

I have: a run in AGDQ 2024 at ~11am Eastern time on Monday (30XX, a Mega Man X & Zero inspired roguelite.)

Would there be interest in having a goon hashtag for donations to increase your chances of having donation comments read during my run?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
idk

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

a tea tree posted:

I have: a run in AGDQ 2024 at ~11am Eastern time on Monday (30XX, a Mega Man X & Zero inspired roguelite.)

Looking forward to it. That'll be 4pm here, plus whatever drift has built up, so convenient timing. I also still haven't managed to beat 30XX a single time...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Sounds like it'll be early evening/late afternoon over here so looking forward to watching it!

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

FishMcCool posted:

Looking forward to it. That'll be 4pm here, plus whatever drift has built up, so convenient timing. I also still haven't managed to beat 30XX a single time...

This reminded me that I don't think I've mentioned the new feature I put into the tracker that we're trying out this time.

We now have the ability to anchor runs to a particular start time, and in order to maintain that start time it will adjust the "setup time" of the prior run. If it's ever in a situation where it can't do that, whatever you're about to try and do will fail loudly. Currently we have blocks called The Checkpoint that range between 30-60 minutes(ish) that are nothing -but- setup time, which will give us a very concrete picture of how much time we have to work with in a given day. The idea is that if we're ever so far behind that The Checkpoint shrinks to nothing, it's time to start rearranging and/or dropping stuff. Or if the Checkpoint gets too big, it's time to slot in a bonus run. It's a very experimental feature but will hopefully allow us to stay closer to the real schedule. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out in practice.

JHobz already has planned content for The Checkpoint, but how much of it we see will depend on how much time we end up having left over by the time we reach it.

Alternate use: FF events have the "sleep" blocks and the first run of the day will be anchored so that the length of the sleep block will auto-adjust.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 4, 2024

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

a tea tree posted:

I've never heard of this game but that sounds like a really interesting concept.

a tea tree
Dec 20, 2006

Kirby began to wonder if he shouldn't have just eaten the Nemesis, instead.

UraniumAnchor posted:

JHobz already has planned content for The Checkpoint, but how much of it we see will depend on how much time we end up having left over by the time we reach it.

Oh hell yeah. I imagined there was probably something in the back pocket in case there was some time available in a day, but not necessarily enough for a backup run - good to know that seems to be accurate. Looking forward it (and potentially being up on the host desk for whatever silliness happens on Wednesday!)

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

MagusofStars posted:

I've never heard of this game but that sounds like a really interesting concept.

It does. Thanks for posting, my interest in watching that run just shot way up.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

a tea tree posted:

Oh hell yeah. I imagined there was probably something in the back pocket in case there was some time available in a day, but not necessarily enough for a backup run - good to know that seems to be accurate. Looking forward it (and potentially being up on the host desk for whatever silliness happens on Wednesday!)

Yep, interview team has a ton of awesome stuff planned for those setup blocks. We're also fully aware that we may lose some of that time and prepared accordingly. Hope y'all like what we've got.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
30XX is a cool sequel to a cool game. If you like Mega Man X/Z games, or just run&shoot games in general, check it out.

Good luck with the run, a tea tree!

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

fool of sound posted:

Speed demos archive. Still around, still has forums.

I looked around in there and it's clearly a long-time, well-established community. I felt like I was peeping in windows. I'll poke around for the merch / swag information but I genuinely felt like reading the posts was invading privacy somehow. So, thank you! But also, I'mm'a just stop by real quick and then dip.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I looked around in there and it's clearly a long-time, well-established community. I felt like I was peeping in windows. I'll poke around for the merch / swag information but I genuinely felt like reading the posts was invading privacy somehow. So, thank you! But also, I'mm'a just stop by real quick and then dip.

:crossarms:
it's a forum, op

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Studio posted:

it's a forum, op

Fair.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Studio posted:

it's a forum, op

You're a forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

MagusofStars posted:

It's good! Plus levels are procgenned from a set of pre-made chunks, and there's a chunk editor, so you can enable community chunks in your runs.