Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan

SixteenShells posted:

nothing like having a fun time knitting and then realizing it's all synthetic yarns and i'm shedding microplastics with every stitch

Take a moment to think about all the synthetic decking made of recycled plastic bags and sawdust, and how much plastic dust gets strewn everywhere outdoors when contractors cut the planks up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

forgive me, Number, for I was weak

Hail Number, full of greed.
Our Leaders are with you.
Blessed are you among metrics,
and blessed is the fruit of our doom.
Holy Number, Brother of God,
prey on us serfs,
now until the hour of our death.
Amen.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
talking to people about climate change is fun because no one even pretends we are going to do anything about it. best you get is a "i'm sure someone will figure it out." i've changed most problem solving in my life to align with this methodology: i never try to fix anything and eventually it stops being a problem or someone else fixes it

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Stereotype posted:

talking to people about climate change is fun because no one even pretends we are going to do anything about it. best you get is a "i'm sure someone will figure it out." i've changed most problem solving in my life to align with this methodology: i never try to fix anything and eventually it stops being a problem or someone else fixes it

:same:

it's like waking up one day and choosing to live in an enlightened state

Delta-Wye has issued a correction as of 06:37 on Jan 4, 2024

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Almost no one will admit it, but pretty much everyone would rather die than experience big, structural changes in their lives. Are you going to die right this loving instant from eating a burger or continuing to drive your huge truck? Nope, probably not, so might as well keep on keeping on until the problem resolves or you're killed by something that doesn't give you a choice.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Alright Christmas break is over, here’s our first sign of doom for the year:

https://twitter.com/LeonSimons8/status/1742231495278784971

https://twitter.com/LeonSimons8/status/1742231502065135696

https://twitter.com/LeonSimons8/status/1742242459172643308

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Furthermore:

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1742605371347456448

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The rate of acceleration is increasing :stonklol:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lol

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Microplastics posted:

1.5C is going to be forgotten so hard

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Microplastics posted:

the rate of change of acceleration is called the jerk

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hockey stick

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i like the number going up. reminds me of my stockmarket portfolio. dont see why people are complaining

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Evis posted:

jerk the planet

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

TACD posted:

jerk the planet

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Potato Salad posted:

I just had this super depressing moment walking into Kroger this afternoon after seeing the trees outside budding

The cherry trees on my street are budding. I noticed on my way to the supermarket where there is now a whole aisle of Easter eggs. Basically it's April the calendar is just lying

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Evis posted:

I looked this up and can verify this is true. Further, I would like to expand upon this excellent fact with an even better fact: the rate of change of the jerk is called the hyperjerk

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Microplastics posted:

Further, I would like to expand upon this excellent fact with an even better fact: the rate of change of the jerk is called the hyperjerk
Where’s this from? Wikipedia tells me it goes jerk, snap, crackle, pop (aren’t scientists funny)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
From that page! However, I might have misinterpreted this sentence and failed to look at the table you got that from

quote:

Systems involving fourth-order derivatives or higher are accordingly called hyperjerk systems.

I propose that capitalism be considered a hyperjerk system

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the hyperjerk store called, and they've run out of you!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
This won't be news to anyone in this thread but this is a nice succinct video nonetheless and a good watch. A good share too, if you like sharing stuff to less crackpinged friends.

Earth's Temperature Has Changed WILDLY, So What's the Big Deal About a Few Degrees? (PBS Terra)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkqDJwTIg_E

Something I didn't know though, which this video goes into: it is thought (no scientific consensus, but theorised) that the advent of agriculture actually stopped the Earth dipping back into an ice age (at 5:00 in the video).

Microplastics has issued a correction as of 14:06 on Jan 4, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i tried to talk about climate change a little bit with some family over the holidays, mainly because a couple people mentioned several times about how warm it was and had been. we talked about all kinds of things, but the conclusion was "well we've solved every other problem, we'll solve this one."

i was just kinda exhausted with the conversation at that point and gave up. ... the same person a day prior had suggested that people who don't vote Democratic don't deserve social benefits, so,

my occasional conversations with family/friends that just watch msnbc/etc. makes me feel more hopeless than any right-wing bullshit or doomer youtube video

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i tried to talk about climate change a little bit with some family over the holidays, mainly because a couple people mentioned several times about how warm it was and had been. we talked about all kinds of things, but the conclusion was "well we've solved every other problem, we'll solve this one."

i was just kinda exhausted with the conversation at that point and gave up. ... the same person a day prior had suggested that people who don't vote Democratic don't deserve social benefits, so,

my occasional conversations with family/friends that just watch msnbc/etc. makes me feel more hopeless than any right-wing bullshit or doomer youtube video

:yeah:

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

You can't convince someone of the reality. They have to get there on their own in my experience

E: none of you can affect the outcome, why bother?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Struensee posted:

why bother?

Self-loathing mostly

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

the derivatives beyond jerk are snap, crackle, and pop :eng101:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Struensee posted:

E: none of you can affect the outcome, why bother?
oh yeah? just for that I’m buying an extra steak

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Microplastics posted:

This won't be news to anyone in this thread but this is a nice succinct video nonetheless and a good watch. A good share too, if you like sharing stuff to less crackpinged friends.

Earth's Temperature Has Changed WILDLY, So What's the Big Deal About a Few Degrees? (PBS Terra)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkqDJwTIg_E

Something I didn't know though, which this video goes into: it is thought (no scientific consensus, but theorised) that the advent of agriculture actually stopped the Earth dipping back into an ice age (at 5:00 in the video).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i bother because you never know who sees the ongoing destruction of the biosphere and thinks they're alone in their conclusion that we need drastic action, immediately, on an untold scale. people need to know that they're not alone in what they are otherwise convinced are wrong opinions. at least one person involved in these conversations was getting it. you never know who thinks and sees the same things you do, but feels isolated and needs to hear they're not alone.

it's an attempt at combating domestic american isolationism. discuss important matters with people, instead of discussing what you've heard ABOUT those matters on the news. my own dad is the master of just saying "did you see this on fox news?" but then doesn't have anything to actually say about the matter. after a short conversation about PEOPLE, not politics, he's saying that people crossing the border just want a better life, and we should help them. the exact opposite of what he hears on tv.

i'm also a union organizer and know that people talking about their real feelings, not the party line, is what can bring them together. i've seen it happen.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

isn't it obvious? the clathrate gun is going off right now, 2023 is what that process looks like:
at a conservative estimate, that's +/- 0.5 C of additional warming between mid-2023 (~1.5C) and now (~2.0C). that's a rate of global heating of approximately +1C per year, not 1C/decade or 1C/century. a simple straight-line interpolation of this rate of heating yields the following low-end numbers:

by the start of 2025: +3.0 C over baseline
by 2030: +8.0 C over baseline
by 2040: +18.0 C over baseline
by 2050: +28.0 C over baseline
by 2100: +78.0 C over baseline

however, the rate of heating is accelerating. the second derivative of heating? that's also accelerating. so realistically, actual rates of heating are going to be significantly higher, and it's only going to keep accelerating until there's nothing left to release and nothing left to burn. an apocalyptic runaway clathrate reaction isn't a hypothetical anymore, it's already happening. we're about a year into that process. we're going to look back on 2023 as the last 'normal' year before the great dying really began in earnest.

gently caress it, go ahead and scream if it helps you feel better. this rollercoaster's going down anyway, might as well scream a little

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

but then i read poo poo like that and think "man, how much credit card debt can i rack up"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i hope one piece manages to finish in time

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Evis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIgfIZM87eA

~~ its easy once you know how its done, you cant stop now its aleady begun~~

Car Hater
May 7, 2007