Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
How can you make a map that detailed without having ever met a German?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OwlFancier posted:

Plurals are fine if you keep it to "add s to the end to indicate more than 1"

But yeah you could make it optional, if you use other words in the sentence to indicate multiples you can ignore the plural, or use the plural and drop the other words.

Make plurals via reduplication, as reflected in the town names of Walla Walla and Tilba Tilba.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Every second person plural is considered not just wrong, but actively bad. However, a second person plural is something we need in daily speech. How can these two things be reconciled??

Chat, I have a solution.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Platystemon posted:

Chat, I have a solution.

got partway through a translation of the lord's prayer rendered in an imagined twitch streamer-based conlang (amen = "no cap", ofc) before realizing that our time is precious and limited this was not something i, or anyone else, was put on earth to do

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s poggers.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

got partway through a translation of the lord's prayer rendered in an imagined twitch streamer-based conlang (amen = "no cap", ofc) before realizing that our time is precious and limited this was not something i, or anyone else, was put on earth to do

We were all put on this earth either to make each other happy or to torture each other or something like that. In either case you're obligated to finish what you started.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

F

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

With my extremely limited experience, which I'm eager to baselessly extend to cover entire nationalities, I'm confident in saying that both Germany and Austria are in a completely wrong category. Speaking English and being spoken German back sounds more familiar.

(With extreme politeness and goodwill, though.)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Negostrike posted:

As a non-native speaker of English, "y'all" is extremely convenient and "youse/yinz/yiff" are too silly.
Youse is mafia speak, and thus inherently silly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
More or less silly than using thou/you as the tu/usted equivalents?

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Darkest Auer posted:

Well, "you" is the second person plural. You can still use "thou" if you want in the first person, it's a perfectly valid word.

This is from a while back, but I've never seen nor heard of "thou" used as a first-person pronoun. How does that work?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Mr. Belpit posted:

This is from a while back, but I've never seen nor heard of "thou" used as a first-person pronoun. How does that work?

I think they misspoke/mistyped and meant "you can still use thou as second-person singular."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Any second person plural that isn’t y’all, is lol

The other shibboleths for proper english are boy, girl, and southern

bway, gal, southron

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Y’all only really works in the south and I guess on Twitter, where I always assumed people started using it to save on characters

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You -> ultrayou

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Widespread adoption of y'all will inevitably just result in the same overtaking of the singular second person pronoun and then we'd only have y'all instead of only having you, not worth it :v:

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Just bring back the original second person singular and you no longer need to wonder whether someone is addressing thee specifically or the crowd thou standest in.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i'm coming around to yinz, tbh

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Snowy posted:

Y’all only really works in the south and I guess on Twitter, where I always assumed people started using it to save on characters

I think people do it for fake authenticity points

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Y'all is ideal mainly because it sets you up for some insane contractions. "We would have done it. But you folks? Y'all'd'nt've."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Don't even get started on conjugating grammatical tenses.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Around where I live in Scotland lots of people say “youse” but I’ve never paid attention to whether they only say it when addressing people in the plural or also use it for the singular. My feeling is that they use it indiscriminately.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Many PIE languages have a convention where you use the second person plural to refer to someone politely even if they’re singular, so for French it’s tu/vous, for German it’s du/Sie. For English it used to be thou/you, but while other languages maintained the distinction and kept the second person singular in use for familiar and informal settings, English just lost its informal second person. I remember hearing that one of the last recorded uses of thou in natural language in a court case in London (i.e. not a bible quote)

The obvious consequence of that we’ve been discussing is that “you” is ambiguous as to number, but a secondary consequence is that you is no longer a signifier of politeness and formality! But in varieties of English which have developed a new second person plural, we’re also seeing the politeness usage come back. I think this is more widespread in places that use y’all (due to 6kall being an accepted pronoun in those areas), but apparently it’s even been seen occasionally in Scotland, with some speakers saying “youse” to be polite to strangers. I’ve never personally seen that and I have to assume it’s rare.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I think they misspoke/mistyped and meant "you can still use thou as second-person singular."

It's this

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

More or less silly than using thou/you as the tu/usted equivalents?
No, thou/you is scary. Who knows what kind of freak decides to speak like that?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We say we go the other way. Everyone start using the royal we in casual conversation.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We say we go the other way. Everyone start using the royal we in casual conversation.

We agree on this.

Also pick and use one of this~desu:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VerbalTic/AnimeAndManga

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No, thou/you is scary. Who knows what kind of freak decides to speak like that?

Quakers, if not recently, at least a good deal longer than everyone else, to the point where it was seen as an identifying characteristic in the 19th century.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cat Nation Represent

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Quakers, if not recently, at least a good deal longer than everyone else, to the point where it was seen as an identifying characteristic in the 19th century.
Some niche rural northern English too, although it is dying out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov0OEAF5Fv8
(skip to 7:35 for you/thou bit)

I think the idea sounds weirder than it actually is because people imagine them being pronounced you/thou like a modern Shakespearean actor or a Baptist revival preacher reading the King James Bible, rather than the y' and th' sounds of backwoods accents that kept this feature the longest.

e: 'Lower North' on this map

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 4, 2024

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Numerical Anxiety posted:

My parents, American Quakers, used 'thee' in natural speech with each other. Not sure how much it was an affectation, but my understanding was that they weren't alone among the Quakers they knew.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Some niche rural northern English too, although it is dying out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov0OEAF5Fv8
(skip to 7:35 for you/thou bit)

I think the idea sounds weirder than it actually is because people imagine them being pronounced you/thou like a modern Shakespearean actor or a Baptist revival preacher reading the King James Bible, rather than the y' and th' sounds of backwoods accents that kept this feature the longest.

e: 'Lower North' on this map

What’s that non-English language near London supposed to be? …Polish?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If it's supposed to be a map of the current situation, it's at least partly fictional, I'm pretty sure Cornish is effectively extinct.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

If it's supposed to be a map of the current situation, it's at least partly fictional, I'm pretty sure Cornish is effectively extinct.

although fair cornwall is sunk beneath the waves its people settled in Italy, ultimately founding Rome.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phlegmish posted:

I think it's "traditional dialects of English considered for the purposes of this map" from Peter Trudgill's dialects.

Rather than vastly overestimating the areas of spoken Irish, Welsh, and Cornish in 2024 it's just ruling English there to be instruments of deliberate historical policy, so I'd guess with London it's just saying "these are all sociolects and keep changing every few years" before giving up.

e: Here's one about gym shoes that doesn't do that, as it's dealing with current English use rather than 'traditional dialects'

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 4, 2024

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Saladman posted:

What’s that non-English language near London supposed to be? …Polish?

Cities gently caress up dialects, traditionally and especially recently, because the population is large parts immigrants with their own dialectal backgrounds. So dialectology just ignores them and let sociolinguistics deal with them instead.

Also dialectology and sociolinguistics have obviously had some dumb infighting because it's mostly, but not entirely, the same thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Cat Nation Represent

This doesn’t seem right (tbf the methodology looks like they were never trying to be especially accurate), i feel like Korea and Japan are flipped here. Cats are getting more popular but Korea definitely favors dogs, a lot, and my casual impression is Japan is into cats.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tei posted:

We agree on this.

Also pick and use one of this~desu:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VerbalTic/AnimeAndManga

I will not, nya!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Koramei posted:

This doesn’t seem right (tbf the methodology looks like they were never trying to be especially accurate), i feel like Korea and Japan are flipped here. Cats are getting more popular but Korea definitely favors dogs, a lot, and my casual impression is Japan is into cats.
Based on my extensive experience with Japan (playing Yakuza), I can confirm that cats are far more popular than dogs in Japan. For further evidence, note the nonexistence of a Hello Doggy franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I would also add that they have that one good-luck figurine, you know, the cat with the raised paw. (I too am a Japanologist, having watched several anime* shows)

* a form of cartoon traditionally made in Japan, believed to be derived from 'animation'