Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

bought some bagels over the holidays and the hole size was ridiculous lol. it was difficult to cut through them properly cause thye'd just fall apart due to lack of structure. id say they clawed back probably 1/2 the weight of a bagel from the middle. crazy

Or maybe you finally got a proper Montreal-style bagel for the first time in your life. Embrace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Aramis posted:

Or maybe you finally got a proper Montreal-style bagel for the first time in your life. Embrace it.

l;mfao oh yeah for sure

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

doctorfrog posted:

Since you can now vomit out crap like "Sense and Sensibility and Zombies" with the same effort as dialing a phone number, the market will be overwhelmingly flooded with such garbage (even more than now), effectively ruining mashup literature forever.
The thought of mashup literature somehow being made even worse is very chilling indeed.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Atopian posted:

As I have produced adequate but underwhelming hummus in the past: please share your / her recipe.

This is what she said.

Ingredients:
1 can of chickpeas
100 g of tahini
3-4 tablespoons lemon juice (to taste)
2 cloves garlic
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon olive oil
ice cubes as needed

In a food processor, add tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Boil the chickpeas in water with a small amount of baking soda until soft, then remove the skin. Then add the chickpeas and other ingredients into the food processor along with a couple of ice cubes (from my wife: "I read that is for extra light and fluffy hummus, that helps incorporate air into the mixture or something," which certainly seems to be the case). Continue adding a couple of ice cubes and running the food processor until you achieve the desired texture.

I haven't made this recipe with her in a couple years, so I'm a bit hazy on recalling the specifics, and she wrote the recipe while looking after our 5-year-old, so if you have any questions, please just ask and I will get clarification.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i worked in the kitchen of a mediterranean restaurant a long time ago that had my favorite hummus and that was basically their recipe (minus cumin iirc, and with way more garlic). also they would soak the beans in water and baking soda overnight before boiling and finishing the rest the next morning. i cant remember why exactly

you can then further improve the look (and to some extent the taste) by serving it with parsley, paprika and olive oil on top as garnishes.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Aramis posted:

Montreal-style bagel

just another example of enshittification.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I love Quebec, it's beautiful as hell and you can let your trashy side run wild

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Time_pants posted:

When I was dealing with stress, anxiety, depression, and some really tumultuous times with my family, I was getting blasted a minimum of 5 nights a week for years. I don't drink anymore, but I strongly suspect that a significant portion of those heavy drinkers are self-medicating.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying alcoholism is excusable as long as it's because you're sad, but I'm willing to bet a lot of these 4+ alcoholic beverages/night people aren't getting wasted at parties or out with friends or even enjoying themselves.

I can vouch for this. Everyone here knows I drink way too much and I almost never go out to bars. It's 100% self-medication and it doesn't work very well.

Vampire Panties posted:

:same:

not to be a cliche, but I had absolutely no idea I had a problem. My parents, grandparents, friends, friends parents - everyone got hosed up on the weekends. In retrospect I was massively self-selecting for people who loved to drink.

re: self medication - it worked for me until it didn't. Even booze got enshittified :sadwave:

:smith::hf::smith:

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Half the news stories Google sends to my phone every day are AI written glurge and the other half are things I can't read unless I pay to subscribe to the site.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I get all my news from the meme thread, it's pretty great.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
On the bagel topic, it's likely been mentioned but I just want to vent about this Whipped Cream Cheese poo poo showing up everywhere.

We're not stupid, we know whipped just = more air and less product. Started with the Breyers ice cream and now all kinds of poo poo have adopted it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Szechwan posted:

On the bagel topic, it's likely been mentioned but I just want to vent about this Whipped Cream Cheese poo poo showing up everywhere.

We're not stupid, we know whipped just = more air and less product. Started with the Breyers ice cream and now all kinds of poo poo have adopted it.

"slow churned"
"half the fat!"

Some of that stuff has so much air whipped into it that it can't actually be called ice cream anymore, instead it's a "frozen dairy dessert"

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Cream cheese is $6.99 for 8 ounces of whipped bullshit at Safeway or $10.59 for a 48 oz tub of the real poo poo at Costco

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Whipped cream cheese has been around for like 2 decades from what I've seen and sure it's a lighter texture but yeah... I should pay less for less weight. :capitalism:

Cream cheese in general has gonna up quite a bit. But then down again I guess. An 8oz container at one store a year ago was like $8 but I go to a different store now and can get a 16oz for the same price.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Safeway is ungodly expensive for just about everything now, I only stop in if thomas bagels are BOGO because it’s about the only thing that’s worth it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The two stores I went to were Festival (more expensive) and Piggly Wiggly.

I'd imagine nowadays I'd have to do some detective work to find out who ultimately owns them like Charlie in It's Always Sunny with his delusion board.

Yeah that's something that sure as gently caress got shittier. Monopolies. Like 3 companies owning all of the food products in the United States with 50 subsidiaries each.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Szechwan posted:

they can't even call it ice cream anymore. lmao.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I just get tillamook but man that town is full of chuds and they keep trying to decertify their unions

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

ArmedZombie posted:

they can't even call it ice cream anymore. lmao.

Haha oh right, frozen dairy dessert.

Also, the containers that dips like hummus the indent in the botton goes up like a 3rd of the way now, if I ever run across the MBA that pulled that poo poo I'm gonna wedgie him

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Actual Satan posted:

Half the news stories Google sends to my phone every day are AI written glurge and the other half are things I can't read unless I pay to subscribe to the site.

I read some thing on Yahoo news (work computer) and it sounded like gobbledygook AI nonsense, so I threw the author's name into Google. Turns out he specializes in SEO, something the article was not about at all.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I just get tillamook but man that town is full of chuds and they keep trying to decertify their unions

:smith:

I drove to Portland from the Seattle area with my ex-wife and that was my #1 stop on the coast.

Best cheese curds I've ever had in my entire life. Perfectly squeaky. We bought like 3lbs and ate one just on the way back home.

And that's a big endorsement considering I'm from Wisconsin. The key is to get them fresh though and you can't get more fresh than the actual factory.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Szechwan posted:

Haha oh right, frozen dairy dessert.

Also, the containers that dips like hummus the indent in the botton goes up like a 3rd of the way now, if I ever run across the MBA that pulled that poo poo I'm gonna wedgie him

All MBAs should be [radio interference - unintelligible]

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:smith:

I drove to Portland from the Seattle area with my ex-wife and that was my #1 stop on the coast.

Best cheese curds I've ever had in my entire life. Perfectly squeaky. We bought like 3lbs and ate one just on the way back home.

And that's a big endorsement considering I'm from Wisconsin. The key is to get them fresh though and you can't get more fresh than the actual factory.

Oh yeah tillamook is incredible and I recommend people visit the factory. I just happened to accidentally take a wrong turn into one of their residential areas when I was there last and there are trump flags EVERYWHERE.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

holefoods posted:

Safeway is ungodly expensive for just about everything now, I only stop in if thomas bagels are BOGO because it’s about the only thing that’s worth it.

It is more expensive than PCC and Whole Foods

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

mawarannahr posted:

It is more expensive than PCC and Whole Foods

Don't worry, the pending merger between Safeway-Albertsons and Kroger-Fred Meyer-QFC is sure to lower prices thanks to the efficiencies brought about by consolidahahaha

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Time_pants posted:

This is what she said.

Thanks, will try.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Atopian posted:

Thanks, will try.

She said to start with one ice cube and work up to avoid it getting too runny.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cerekk posted:

Don't worry, the pending merger between Safeway-Albertsons and Kroger-Fred Meyer-QFC is sure to lower prices thanks to the efficiencies brought about by consolidahahaha

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah that's something that sure as gently caress got shittier. Monopolies. Like 3 companies owning all of the food products in the United States with 50 subsidiaries each.

:shepface:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Such is life in Constitutional Oligarchy with Market Characteristics.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.

StormDrain posted:

I saw a video the other day that opened my eyes a bit. Where are the medium sweet beverages? It's either not sweet, sugar free but sweet, or full sugar. Where's half sweet?

100% agree. I've only ever seen this with a bottled iced tea that's called like "subtly sweet" or something and it really got me wishing it was more common.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Pretty much every flavored seltzer I've tried has been lightly sweet

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Seltzers are lightly everything.

But yeah, there's no middle sweet on offer. I have however, seen boba shops offer different levels of sweetness.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
There's tons of middle sweet stuff but it's all alcoholic

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Weather predictions is something I feel is less reliable than before. Like I feel we used to be able to reliably predict trends over an incoming week, and now we’re down to “who the gently caress knows what two days from now will be”.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Popoto posted:

Weather predictions is something I feel is less reliable than before. Like I feel we used to be able to reliably predict trends over an incoming week, and now we’re down to “who the gently caress knows what two days from now will be”.

This has a reason, climate change.
Weather predictions used to be able to use past decades of collected data, if for the last 50 years a cold spell usually happens at the start of Dec, you predict it will happen again.
Now you can't predict poo poo. The cold spell happens in Jan or Feb now.

The amount of times my area has been given Yellow or Orange warnings for storms/winds/rain, and nothing happens.
Some other area gets it instead.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

happyhippy posted:

The amount of times my area has been given Yellow or Orange warnings for storms/winds/rain, and nothing happens.

Another factor here is that local news stations get pressured by their corporate owners to have X amount of severe weather events per month because they boost ratings.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

wash bucket posted:

Another factor here is that local news stations get pressured by their corporate owners to have X amount of severe weather events per month because they boost ratings.

It’s not that I don’t believe you but ain’t no fuckin way we’ve degraded this far as a species.

What the gently caress

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fair enough. But here you go: Weatherman who defied ‘Code Red’ alerts is out of a job

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

happyhippy posted:

This has a reason, climate change.
Weather predictions used to be able to use past decades of collected data, if for the last 50 years a cold spell usually happens at the start of Dec, you predict it will happen again.
Now you can't predict poo poo. The cold spell happens in Jan or Feb now.

My guess was either all models were thrown out of whack by climate change, or they decide to “power them with AI!!!!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

lol CNN. I’ve been in Colombia for a week and haven’t seen a message like this yet but I’m on my iphone using private relay, with 1Blocker installed so I feel better about my privacy than whatever BS CNN has in mind.