Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

teagone posted:

I really enjoy Pacific Rim, Blade 2, both Hellboys, The Shape of Water, and Mimic.

Nightmare Alley is good imo imo.

Also, I'm the guy that likes Crimson Peak since it's the Haunted Mansion movie that Disney refused to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

My only beef with Del Toro is that Shape of Water was a pretty medicore Best Picture winner but I just substitute Pans Labyrinth in my head and go about my day.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Famethrowa posted:

My only beef with Del Toro is that Shape of Water was a pretty medicore Best Picture winner but I just substitute Pans Labyrinth in my head and go about my day.

It’s one of the best of all time because it’s a creature feature with fuckin. This makes it better than coda or green book

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blood Boils posted:

Tbf to the Star Wars side of things, Rebel Moon is basically "what if the ST didn't blink at it's own brainwashed child soldiers rebelling plot?"

Or "what of the resistance was actually cool and good?"

It would explain a lot if Disney rejected a pitch that would actually make meaningful use of what they'd set up in the sequels.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Disney buyout had not been finalized or announced when Snyder made his pitch to Lucasfilm, I'm pretty sure.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bongo Bill posted:

The Disney buyout had not been finalized or announced when Snyder made his pitch to Lucasfilm, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah it was mid/late 2012.

Vanity Fair posted:

“I was in postproduction on Man of Steel,” Snyder says. “I had heard there were rumblings about possibly doing another three [Star Wars] movies at some point. My take was that, if you just let me have the IP, I’ll make this cool movie, and I won’t get in the way of anything that you guys are doing.” In other words, his proposed film would feature original characters and a new storyline that didn’t necessarily impact or disrupt any of the existing Star Wars canon.

Snyder first met with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy shortly before the company’s sale, and he later sat down with Disney’s then studio chief, Alan Horn, after the acquisition. While Snyder felt their reactions to his idea were promising, both the filmmaker and Lucasfilm ultimately decided it wasn’t going to work out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Okay, that's even funnier.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Chronos gives del Toro a lifetime pass for me. What a banger

The poster of Chronos is the most misleading movie poster of all time.

ozebane
Nov 4, 2009
The novelisation seems to be based on the director’s cut if anyone’s interested in knowing more of what that’s going to look like. Pretty breezy read.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

lol, I switched from an Iain M Banks book to the novelisation and the comparison of prose was, ah, not flattering. Was able to read it in a single evening though, yeah.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

josh04 posted:

lol, I switched from an Iain M Banks book to the novelisation and the comparison of prose was, ah, not flattering. Was able to read it in a single evening though, yeah.

Banks is incredible though, I just finished Player of Games and holy poo poo some of the passages in there are so good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mordiceius posted:

Nightmare Alley is good imo imo.

I really liked Nightmare Alley, yeah.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

It’s one of the best of all time because it’s a creature feature with fuckin. This makes it better than coda or green book

true, thats also why Crash was one of the best. the scar scene was pretty disturbing though.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
This movie was poo poo and i don't know if it would annoy me as much if i didn't read half this thread full of idiots trying to excuse how bad it was by going "star wars also dumb so who cares" despite the movie being both idiotic and not good enough to actually make you not care about how dumb it is. There isnt a single redeeming positive thing in this trash heap (yes, much like my posting).
I need to make a list of people who enjoyed this so i know who should be ignored from now on, theres no coming back from this.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

HATEPOSTING posted:

This movie was poo poo and i don't know if it would annoy me as much if i didn't read half this thread full of idiots trying to excuse how bad it was by going "star wars also dumb so who cares" despite the movie being both idiotic and not good enough to actually make you not care about how dumb it is. There isnt a single redeeming positive thing in this trash heap (yes, much like my posting).
I need to make a list of people who enjoyed this so i know who should be ignored from now on, theres no coming back from this.

you doing alright man?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Username/post combo

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

HATEPOSTING posted:

What was the saying? Please touch wheat or the grain of your choice (as long as it’s not fascist grain).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

all 3 star wars sequels were considerably better than this imo

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Communist Thoughts posted:

Were they though? Were they?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Communist Thoughts posted:

The Last Jedi, sure. I'd say Rebel Moon Netflix cut was about as good as The Force Awakens for me, but it's definitely better than The Rise of Skywalker. gently caress that movie, lol.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Force Awakens was ok, good even, though I do think the potential for the rest of the series gave it a bit more weight.

I was a massive stan for Last Jedi when I first watched it, but upon a rewatch I found it almost unbearable.

Rise of Skywalker I watched a single time and I barely remember anything about it.

As a whole I'd rather watch any one of those movies than Rebel Moon again. They feel more important in a way, whereas Rebel Moon feels like a flop that no one is talking about or has any interest in. Even the people who like it are offering very milquetoast defenses of it.

It's so bad and boring it just flies under the radar.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't remember anyone specifically saying "star wars was also dumb so who cares" much less half the thread, but I won't discount it. It feels like a bunch of the thread for the past several days was talking about the obvious editing flaws (before instead talking about Guillermo Del Toro, which is always a bad sign for a movie when you go off on tangents about much better directors) which makes it weirder when someone comes in to accuse everyone of being hive minded or cultish or whatever.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I didn't post replies but I definitely read some people complaining about the dialogue and thought "well Star Wars (New Hope) has pretty rough dialogue too, that means the movie lost you in some other way".

Maybe OP is psychic.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, all in all, it's just a mediocre movie (at least the current version). At least Star Wars ST had a potentially good starting point movie, a fanbase breaker movie, and a horrible fever dream movie, they surely more interesting to talk than this.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Force awakens is the most derivative sequel. It’s got good music and looks nice but why were we ok with another Death Star but planet size and another empire but new name again.

Rebel moon is at least a new world and has Jimmy and giant birds. No dynasty of skywalkers again.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Rebel Moon has some cool robots and some cool aliens, and for whatever faint praise that may be that does put it above the sequel trilogy.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

checkplease posted:

Force awakens is the most derivative sequel. It’s got good music and looks nice but why were we ok with another Death Star but planet size and another empire but new name again.

Rebel moon is at least a new world and has Jimmy and giant birds. No dynasty of skywalkers again.

Rebel Moon's death star is just the dreadnought, and their empire is just the imperium. It's just as derivative.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What on earth?

Genre film has things from that genre. The point is that The Force Awakens is derivative in its own franchise - it's a lesser retelling of A New Hope.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

teagone posted:

The Last Jedi, sure. I'd say Rebel Moon Netflix cut was about as good as The Force Awakens for me, but it's definitely better than The Rise of Skywalker. gently caress that movie, lol.

I tend to enjoy things and not tear down art

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

there's only 1 good star war :hehe:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

What on earth?

Genre film has things from that genre. The point is that The Force Awakens is derivative in its own franchise - it's a lesser retelling of A New Hope.

I’m not arguing that it isn’t derivative, but I don’t really see a meaningful difference between the derivativeness of one vs the other. They’re both derivative in their own ways, and there’s nothing wrong with that in itself.

I’ll give Rebel Moon some credit for telling a modified version of that story, but I don’t consider the aesthetic or lore differences to be wide enough to distinguish it as anything remarkable.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Zach Snyder could work for another 50 years and still would not be able to surpass anything as aggressively mediocre as The Force Awakens.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Verisimilidude posted:

Rebel Moon's death star is just the dreadnought, and their empire is just the imperium. It's just as derivative.

The dreadnaught can just bomb the surface with its cannons, similar to warships of today and takes time.

The death star destroys planets with one shot, there’s no hiding from it.

Really don’t see how the dreadnaught is similar to a Death Star. It’s just a threat of a larger force against smaller civilizations, but that’s not unique to Star Wars.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Papercut posted:

I tend to enjoy things and not tear down art

Your first post in this thread is calling this the worst movie you have ever seen. Ok.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

checkplease posted:

The dreadnaught can just bomb the surface with its cannons, similar to warships of today and takes time.

The death star destroys planets with one shot, there’s no hiding from it.

Really don’t see how the dreadnaught is similar to a Death Star. It’s just a threat of a larger force against smaller civilizations, but that’s not unique to Star Wars.

Again, I don’t see the distinction. Ultimately these are planet-killing vehicles the protagonists have to contend with. One is round and takes 1 shot to destroy a planet, the other is ovular and takes several shots to do the exact same thing. You’re arguing about aesthetic differences when each poses a similar threat to the protagonists.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ozmunkeh posted:

Zach Snyder could work for another 50 years and still would not be able to surpass anything as aggressively mediocre as The Force Awakens.

Zack Snyder haters 🤝 Zack Snyder fans

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ozmunkeh posted:

Can I ask a serious question? Your post history is just some white noise drivel in soccer chat threads and then this kind of "guy bad" stuf in here. Why has this director gotten under your skin so badly, and why do you think a bunch of strangers want or need to hear your repeated low effort "this director is bad" posts? We're trying to get some discussion here; please go over to BSS or GBS and collect the "this guys sucks" virtual high-fives you so desperately crave because this is just Reddit level.

Verisimilidude posted:

Again, I don’t see the distinction. Ultimately these are planet-killing vehicles the protagonists have to contend with. One is round and takes 1 shot to destroy a planet, the other is ovular and takes several shots to do the exact same thing. You’re arguing about aesthetic differences when each poses a similar threat to the protagonists.

I can't think of a single science fiction series that doesn't eventually come up against a global destroyer of some type. That's the issue I'm having here. Could be one of Saberhaegen's Berzerkers, could be the Death Star, could be the Planet Killer from Star Trek, could be the Protomolecule from The Expanse. It's just a genre feature.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 4, 2024

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Can I ask a serious question? Your post history is just some white noise drivel in soccer chat threads and then kind of junk in here. Why has this director gotten under your skin so badly, and why do you think a bunch of strangers want or need to hear your repeated low effort "this director is bad" posts? We're trying to get some discussion here; please go over to BSS or GBS and collect the "this guys sucks" virtual high-fives you so desperately crave because this is just Reddit level.

I can't think of a single science fiction series that doesn't eventually come up against a global destroyer of some type. That's the issue I'm having here. Could be one of Saberhaegen's Berzerkers, could be the Death Star, could be the Planet Killer from Star Trek.

And there’s nothing wrong with that. I’m not saying being derivative is bad, my initial comment was in reference to someone calling out Force Awakens as derivative in comparison to Rebel Moon, as if it isn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ozmunkeh posted:

Yeah for real the sequel trilogy is dramatically better than his work

checkplease posted:

Your first post in this thread is calling this the worst movie you have ever seen. Ok.

Check teagone's response to my post :ssh: