Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DancingMachine posted:

Kraken stuff:

See, I knew you’d get it eventually. So where’s the common denominator in this problem?

Still Dave Hakstol and Ron Francis.

The defense will still be a problem because their breakout strategy is as fast as possible out the zone where they can turn it over on the blue line a dozen times a game. D’accord (sic) playing is awesome for me, he’s been the better goalie for 2.5 seasons.

They went from losing 8 in row to winning a bunch against a bunch of teams worse than they are and a couple interesting ones. The win over Philly was the back to back for them, the LA 2-1 wasn’t exactly impressive (outshot and out chanced by a big margin). The only game they were clearly dominant against good opposition was the Winter Classic. The Florida game was a great result, but was even except in the goalie.

So if the Kraken make the playoffs it’s because D’accord is stopping a ton of stuff and playing really well. Not because they’ve fixed their defensive structure or suddenly know how to play a strong possession based game. They still like the fast breaks and it leaves them open for odd number chances as well. Joey just knows how to stop the breakaway and Grubauer isn’t good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't really care about the point system. People whine about it every year but imo if you're a garbage enough team that you can't make it with 8 playoff seeds per conference then you suck rear end anyways and it's not the point system's fault.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Joey definitely looks very good since he has been starting consistently. Hopefully he continues to get the majority of starts when Grubauer comes back.

They controlled possession really well in the Winter Classic, almost like watching a different team. The slower ice forced them to slow themselves down a little bit to their benefit I guess?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't really care about the point system. People whine about it every year but imo if you're a garbage enough team that you can't make it with 8 playoff seeds per conference then you suck rear end anyways and it's not the point system's fault.

I care about it only because it strongly incentivizes teams to play super boring at the exact times the game should be at its most exciting.

I agree that I don't care if some team whines that they came in 9th instead of 8th because of loser points

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/nyr_pr/status/1742668458540835019

Cup of coffee in the big time, ooo yeah.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

:getin:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Instead of a shootout, have a punchout. Each team picks a brawler and they fight till knockout.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Instead of a shootout, have a punchout. Each team picks a brawler and they fight till knockout.

Finally, something to get Ryan Reaves back in the lineup.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

The issue I’ve heard isn’t so much that loser points make moving up hard but rather that they keep bad teams artificially elevated in the standings, so everyone thinks they’re still in contention at the deadline and there’s a lot less roster movement and trades.

Like the Islanders are 10th in the East in wins and are in a playoff spot, not even a wildcard. The Kraken are 11th in the West in wins and 1 point out of a wildcard spot. Both of those teams think they’re buyers right now instead of telling their pending UFAs to keep a suitcase packed.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Anybody else forget about this happening

https://x.com/capitals/status/1742660668200030594?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Anybody else forget about this happening

News to me

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He’s badly needed, just hope he’s not wrecked and busted.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So the Sharks suck again. I can only assume they saw Detroit setting the NBA record for consecutive losses in a single season and saw that as a challenge.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Koopa Kid posted:

The issue I’ve heard isn’t so much that loser points make moving up hard but rather that they keep bad teams artificially elevated in the standings, so everyone thinks they’re still in contention at the deadline and there’s a lot less roster movement and trades.

Like the Islanders are 10th in the East in wins and are in a playoff spot, not even a wildcard. The Kraken are 11th in the West in wins and 1 point out of a wildcard spot. Both of those teams think they’re buyers right now instead of telling their pending UFAs to keep a suitcase packed.

That's a good point just a month ago I was hoping the Kraken would trade Wennberg and Eberle soon and now it's looking like little chance of that happening. 15-23 record but they are still in the hunt!

I'd be in favor of doing away with shootouts, keep the existing overtime period, but both teams get a zero if it ends in a tie.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not gonna do the math but I'm pretty sure that 3-2-1 doesn't really change the standings much most seasons and is purely aesthetic.

You have to do away with the loser point completely to actually effect the outcome.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Every game that goes to OT magically becomes 50% more valuable in the standings. It's a gigantic incentive to stop trying if the game's tied in the 3rd and just bank that guaranteed point.

The incentive should go the other way--games that go to OT should become less valuable in the standings. 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an OT win, 0 for any loss.

Or just count wins and use regulation wins as the first tiebreaker. That still provides an incentive to try to win in regulation, instead of a perverse incentive to try to get to overtime.

e: But of course it doesn't allow e.g. the Penguins to pretend they're 15-14 when in fact they're 15-22, which is of course the point of the exercise.

For the brief window that the NHL had OTLs and ties, a lot of games ended in 5 minutes of 4v4 overtime because both teams had an incentive to score (free point, no downside!)

Sure, a lot of games also died with 5 minutes left in the 3rd, but that hasn't changed.

If the league insists on having clown standings there's still a lot they can do to make the games more entertaining.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

It's kinda both? Like teams will say "we're just 6 points out, we'll see what happens over the next couple weeks" and sure that's just three wins but that's also all five teams ahead of you failing to scrape even a consolation point which absolutely will not happen.

My biggest selfish gripe with the loser point is that my team had a very stupid GM for a very long time who would earnestly believe he was just about to reach the playoffs with his .500 pt% team, and yes I blame the league for enabling him :mad:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

fisting by many posted:

It's kinda both? Like teams will say "we're just 6 points out, we'll see what happens over the next couple weeks" and sure that's just three wins but that's also all five teams ahead of you failing to scrape even a consolation point which absolutely will not happen.

My biggest selfish gripe with the loser point is that my team had a bad very stupid GM for a very long time who would earnestly believe he was just about to reach the playoffs with his .500 pt% team, and yes I blame the league for enabling him :mad:

This really doesn’t narrow down the team.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

After watching some PWHL games right after some 80s/early 90s NHL games, my new #1 NHL rule change I'd love to see, but never will, is that goalies aren't allowed to be any taller than 5'10".

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cartoon Man posted:

He’s badly needed, just hope he’s not wrecked and busted.

He uh... didn't look great. I mean, five games in the last two years, so sure. Hope he doesn't tear the achilles a third time.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Eric the Mauve posted:

After watching some PWHL games right after some 80s/early 90s NHL games, my new #1 NHL rule change I'd love to see, but never will, is that goalies aren't allowed to be any taller than 5'10".

Darren Pang comes out of retirement immediately

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1742743017943884257

Nick Cousins has gotten Erik Gudbranson and Jason Zucker suspended a total of four games for a combined five minutes reduced to two given to himself. :wtc:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Scale the net to the size of the goalie. Want to start Shaq in net? 7x5 goal. Put Desbiens or Panger in there? 5'9"x4.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Nemec being the Devils best dman is an interesting development.

Going to be pretty interesting to see what the Devils do in the future with him, Dougie, and Marino. Having 3 of your top 4 dmen on the right side is a bit of a challenge.

Casey is a righty too and he has been the best dman in the NCAA this year, wild.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Ryan Graves was so bad against Washington he got himself demoted to the 3rd pairing/press box during practice. Lol. Great signing Dubas. And I know I say that as someone that also said he was *probably* the only UFA available that could maybe takeover for Dumo. Well that's not gone well. Dubas needs to pull off a Scuderi level move with him which might be a tad difficult considering the length of the deal. Hey Calgary what's up?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It took years for Sullivan to finally give up on JMFJ and on Brian Dumoulin's shambling corpse, no matter how spectacularly they sucked. For Graves to be getting the doghouse treatment after 3 months--especially when it means playing POJ more, when it's already long established Sully dislikes POJ and will go to great lengths to not play him--there's got to be more going on there than just Graves sucking. They must not be getting along. If I had to guess, I'd guess Graves is well aware that he can't do the things Sullivan is asking him to do, and frustrated and not keeping quiet about it.

So which marginal LD will the Pens be trading two 2nd round picks for next month?

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Ryan Graves was so bad against Washington he got himself demoted to the 3rd pairing/press box during practice. Lol. Great signing Dubas. And I know I say that as someone that also said he was *probably* the only UFA available that could maybe takeover for Dumo. Well that's not gone well. Dubas needs to pull off a Scuderi level move with him which might be a tad difficult considering the length of the deal. Hey Calgary what's up?

I don't think Graves has suddenly hit The End the way Dumo did. I think he's just a very bad fit for Sullivan's system. If the Pens are looking to give him away and eat some salary some other team might get a really good deal on a perfectly reasonable 2LD.

Sullivan will be gone this summer anyway so the Pens should probably hold onto Graves, let him look a lot better playing for Keefe next fall, then move him and actually get something back.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 4, 2024

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/russohockey/status/1742925443517530548

Look at this patsy.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Graves speed of thought and decision making is too slow and he doesn't have anywhere near the foot speed to bail himself out of his laggy decision tree unlike Matheson. To answer your other question how do you feel about a Noah Hanifin.

Edit: ^^^ both things are bad and if the league/DoPs even pretended to care about player safety there would be larger punishments both to Hartman's targeting and for the cross checks that broke Kirill. But since there's zero interest in that you continue to get poo poo like Cousins cheapshotting opponents and players feeling like it's up to them to meter out justice. It's really lovely and incredibly detrimental to the well being of the sport but dinosaurs going to dino.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 4, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hanifin is badly overrated, he is not very good at anything and for the same reason you just cited about Graves, he's constantly a half step late on everything. More raw athleticism to help bail him out is the only difference really.

e: Like quite a few guys, Hanifin is an adequate 2D/good 3D who's being overplayed as a 1D and he's not good enough for that.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 4, 2024

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Hanifin is a good 2nd pairing defenceman that someone is going to overpay for and I'm here for it... as long as it's not Craig Conroy, who apparently was trying to sign him for $7+ a season before he realized his team sucks.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Russo is up there for most annoying team journalist because he pretends so hard to be a Friedman style generalist but then does this poo poo

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hanifin is badly overrated, he is not very good at anything and for the same reason you just cited about Graves, he's constantly a half step late on everything. More raw athleticism to help bail him out is the only difference really.

e: Like quite a few guys, Hanifin is an adequate 2D/good 3D who's being overplayed as a 1D and he's not good enough for that.

counterpoint, he is very good at shooting weak wrist shots into people's shins

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Why does Kakko only have 3 points this year?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Furnaceface posted:

So the Sharks suck again. I can only assume they saw Detroit setting the NBA record for consecutive losses in a single season and saw that as a challenge.

This is good, actually. The Sharks dug themselves out of the bottom spot in December on the back of two weeks of fun hockey. I'm glad the message was sent that fun time is over and they need to get back to business. We'll allow another fun week in March so we don't see any more 10-1 circuses with teams going all out for the playoffs, but that's it.

The players, coaches, and fans have to understand that it's all about success, and that this season, success is failure.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 4, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

GMs will never learn that the age of the lumbering physical defenseman is over

and if you absolutely feel compelled to have one you can find two or three on an ELC on your minor league roster at any given time

any team out there could have had Erik Gustafsson for million bucks but instead you gotta give $3-4 million a year to players that can only crosscheck people into their own goalie

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

A team that employs Hartmann and Foligno who have hurt Jets stars in the past...

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Middleton already fought Dillon after Dillon injured Kaprizov and Maroon fought Lowry at puck drop the next game. the score was “settled”. after that according to “the code” what’s the point of Hartman saying that he’s also cross checking a guy in the face for retaliation? almost seems like being a shitstirrer policing people with unwritten rules is part of the game and there’s not a lot of interest in legislating it out!

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Either way the February 20th game is setting up to be a disaster, or maybe amazing if no one ends up hurt

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
So the Epstein list came out before the Hockey Canada report? Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Misanthrope posted:

Why does Kakko only have 3 points this year?

He's been injured and before that just wasn't finishing chances. He's still a defensive monster and one of the best zone entry players on the team but when he gets a breakaway, prepare for disappointment.