Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any/many widely used passenger aircraft that can’t use the roll-up stairways? I know we had to use one earlier this year when things went squirrelly on a A320.

E: I suppose they’d need that capability for emergency purposes.

Yeah, pretty sure the answer here is none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is there a good site for seeing all the places you can fly to direct from a specific airport? flights.google.com tries to do this but it is obviously filtering large numbers of flights out of view. I gave it MAD and it shows 23 flights; just things around Europe. But obviously you can fly direct to many places in the Americas and Asia and Africa which for some reason don't count?

edit: i just found flightsfrom.com and it seems much more thorough.

other people fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 31, 2023

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

other people posted:

Is there a good site for seeing all the places you can fly to direct from a specific airport? flights.google.com tries to do this but it is obviously filtering large numbers of flights out of view. I gave it MAD and it shows 23 flights; just things around Europe. But obviously you can fly direct to many places in the Americas and Asia and Africa which for some reason don't count?

I've used https://www.flightconnections.com/, looks very similar to flightsfrom but I like it a little better as it makes seasonal flights more obvious.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I’ve always looked at the Wikipedia page for the airport (ex: MAD). I’ve found it to be pretty complete, but it doesn’t show any schedules.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

other people posted:

If you’d like a more graphical representation, look at https://www.direct-flights.com

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

spoof posted:

I’ve always looked at the Wikipedia page for the airport (ex: MAD). I’ve found it to be pretty complete, but it doesn’t show any schedules.

This is what I've always done as well. :shrug:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you’d like a more graphical representation, look at https://www.direct-flights.com

Their data looks suspect; MAD-DFW definitely has more than 1x flight per week (it has daily service from both American and Iberia).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I'll believe you. I never looked at the individual flights, just the globe. I thought other people was asking “where can you fly to directly from this airport”.

I was surprised to see that MCO only had four destinations in Europe.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I have a bunch of United miles and am planning to fly to Helsinki from Chicago on 6/19.

Looking at the United website, I can get a bunch of so-so flights with miles the day before or day after, with none of them having the ORD -> Europe leg operated by Lufthansa. However the Europe->HEL segment is generally operated by Lufthansa. The only seats available are economy.

If I say I’ll pay money the selection expands, including flights on 6/19 and flights that are fully Lufthansa and business class seats.

What is the best way for me to use my United miles to get a flight on 6/19, or to buy a ticket with cash and use the points for an upgrade?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Also ensures the airline doesn't lose your poo poo. Normally it's not the end of the world if you're going home or will be staying at your destination but Iberia just lost my friend's bag on the way to Costa Rica so she had to stay an extra day in SJO instead of loving off immediately

Generally I find that I can easily pack what I need into the cabin luggage just fine. One small roller bag and "personal item" which can be a 20l backpack. Unless you need several suits or like diving or skiing gear or something.

Why wouldn't she just go where she planned and get her luggage delivered there?

SAS lost my skis on a flight from LAX to Stockholm once, I booked on a separate carrier to fly to Munich a day later (after the next flight would arrive) and drove to Austria, my skis ended up getting delivered to my hotel in Austria.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Badger of Basra posted:

I have a bunch of United miles and am planning to fly to Helsinki from Chicago on 6/19.

Looking at the United website, I can get a bunch of so-so flights with miles the day before or day after, with none of them having the ORD -> Europe leg operated by Lufthansa. However the Europe->HEL segment is generally operated by Lufthansa. The only seats available are economy.

If I say I’ll pay money the selection expands, including flights on 6/19 and flights that are fully Lufthansa and business class seats.

What is the best way for me to use my United miles to get a flight on 6/19, or to buy a ticket with cash and use the points for an upgrade?

Based off what you posted, I think you're perhaps not aware of the disconnect between revenue seat availability and award seat availability. As a rule, the airlines want to sell seats for revenue rather than give them away on awards so award seats are always going to be far, far less available than what you see when you search for revenue availability.

With that principle in mind, what you're seeing in the award search reflects the awards that are available right now. It is common for business class seats to not be available on awards, especially for the busy summer travel season to Europe, because the airline would rather sell them for a profit. You can continue to watch the flights and see if award availability opens up (which can happen at any time or never) and also look at alternatives like leaving out of EWR or IAD. Flexibility is often the key to finding award seats that will work for your trip. Only leaving on 6/19 and only out of ORD is going to significantly limit your options, up to the point of not ever finding anything.

Similar to award availability, upgrade space is also controlled. The likelihood of a mileage award clearing the wait list or being available in the first place is fairly remote. This, again, is exacerbated by having one flight one one day to choose from. The comedy option is to pay the exorbitant rates UA will charge for an anytime award to book into business anyway. Wildly fantastic waste of miles in that case.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Beef Of Ages posted:

Based off what you posted, I think you're perhaps not aware of the disconnect between revenue seat availability and award seat availability. As a rule, the airlines want to sell seats for revenue rather than give them away on awards so award seats are always going to be far, far less available than what you see when you search for revenue availability.

With that principle in mind, what you're seeing in the award search reflects the awards that are available right now. It is common for business class seats to not be available on awards, especially for the busy summer travel season to Europe, because the airline would rather sell them for a profit. You can continue to watch the flights and see if award availability opens up (which can happen at any time or never) and also look at alternatives like leaving out of EWR or IAD. Flexibility is often the key to finding award seats that will work for your trip. Only leaving on 6/19 and only out of ORD is going to significantly limit your options, up to the point of not ever finding anything.

Similar to award availability, upgrade space is also controlled. The likelihood of a mileage award clearing the wait list or being available in the first place is fairly remote. This, again, is exacerbated by having one flight one one day to choose from. The comedy option is to pay the exorbitant rates UA will charge for an anytime award to book into business anyway. Wildly fantastic waste of miles in that case.

Thank you! That's good to know. I only started traveling much recently so a lot of this stuff is new to me.

Also I don't think this is fully related to the thread topic but: in general, should I budget any additional time for an international connection vs. a domestic one?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Domestic→domestic your bags should be checked through if you're on the same carrier.
International→international, the same unless you have a long layover.
Domestic→international should be the same.
International→domestic you need to claim and re-drop.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Badger of Basra posted:

Thank you! That's good to know. I only started traveling much recently so a lot of this stuff is new to me.

Also I don't think this is fully related to the thread topic but: in general, should I budget any additional time for an international connection vs. a domestic one?

It depends heavily on where and when. Let's address checked baggage issues first and then I'll comment further.

peanut posted:

Domestic→domestic your bags should be checked through if you're on the same carrier.
International→international, the same unless you have a long layover.
Domestic→international should be the same.
International→domestic you need to claim and re-drop.

These things apply if you consider the US to be domestic, which is some but not all of us. If you're transiting internationally in the Schengen area, as an example, your checked bag will be transferred without the need to claim and recheck even though you'll process through immigration at the transit gateway. It's a nuance, but one that is important to the timing of international connections.

More completely and without respect to checked baggage, international connections vary widely depending on where you're connecting and what level of immigration and security formalities you'll have to deal with. Some are incredibly easy (ZRH) and some are a vaguely Sisyphean endeavor (CDG, FRA when it's busy), and others yet have some effort required but usually aren't that bad (MUC, MAD, and NRT come to mind). If you're connecting internationally in the US, first why would you do that to yourself, and second the experience is going to be very different.

All of which is a long way of saying: please post what your plans are and we can comment further with specifics.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Looking at my options right now it’s looking like the options are going to be ORD to either FRA or MUC and then HEL. Most of the connection times seem reasonable but there’s one with a 1hr 10 min connection in MUC which is what prompted me to ask the question - I’d think that was kind of short even for a domestic flight depending on the airport.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Badger of Basra posted:

Looking at my options right now it’s looking like the options are going to be ORD to either FRA or MUC and then HEL. Most of the connection times seem reasonable but there’s one with a 1hr 10 min connection in MUC which is what prompted me to ask the question - I’d think that was kind of short even for a domestic flight depending on the airport.

1:10 at MUC would be no problem for me; you'll have to clear immigration and security but neither are usually a problem at MUC. It's a nice airport.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I was at MUC in November, been there a few times before that. I concur, very nice airport. Avoid FRA, CDG, and AMS if you can.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Perfect good to know. I was also able to get business class back from Barcelona to Chicago for just miles which was nice at least!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HookShot posted:

Why wouldn't she just go where she planned and get her luggage delivered there?

SAS lost my skis on a flight from LAX to Stockholm once, I booked on a separate carrier to fly to Munich a day later (after the next flight would arrive) and drove to Austria, my skis ended up getting delivered to my hotel in Austria.
I think that was to avoid them messing that up too. She was going to some lodge in the middle of a rainforest that required a boat and a 4x4 to get to so who knows how that'd work out.

E: seems like Saudia's new schedule is out and I'd now have a 30h layover instead of 4 or whatever if I accept it

On the upside that should get me a free hotel and visa so it might not be a bad thing

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 4, 2024

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

mobby_6kl posted:

E: seems like Saudia's new schedule is out and I'd now have a 30h layover instead of 4 or whatever if I accept it

On the upside that should get me a free hotel and visa so it might not be a bad thing

I can't imagine the airline provided hotel is going to be anything all that special and I personally wouldn't relish spending extra time in the Kingdom. A buddy of mine who lived there for a few years a while back reported the same, though he did say Riyadh was better than Jeddah.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Beef Of Ages posted:

I can't imagine the airline provided hotel is going to be anything all that special and I personally wouldn't relish spending extra time in the Kingdom. A buddy of mine who lived there for a few years a while back reported the same, though he did say Riyadh was better than Jeddah.

"A while back" is an absolutely massive difference, since having fun was legalized in 2019-ish. Everyone I know who has been to KSA in the past few years has loved it, including Riyadh.

Not sure I’d relish a 30 hour layover, but could be worse. I had a 18 hour layover in Incheon this summer, and basically couldn’t do anything during that time. Landed at like 5pm and took off at like 11 the following morning.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saladman posted:

"A while back" is an absolutely massive difference, since having fun was legalized in 2019-ish. Everyone I know who has been to KSA in the past few years has loved it, including Riyadh.

Not sure I’d relish a 30 hour layover, but could be worse. I had a 18 hour layover in Incheon this summer, and basically couldn’t do anything during that time. Landed at like 5pm and took off at like 11 the following morning.
30 hours is at least a full day to look around. Also they have a program to extend that to up 4 days for free, schedule allowing obviously. I mean even if it sucks like North Korea at least it's something new, right :v:

Obviously I can still just have it refunded of course.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That layover could be an adventure in a good way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm working on moving across the country, from near SFO to near PHL, and I have a dog, Pavlov, who needs to come with me. This is logistically challenging as it is, since I need to coordinate:

- getting all of my possessions packed up (I'll be using full-service movers, gently caress doing all that work by hand)
- getting my (Nissan Leaf, EV with max 150-mile range) car to a transport company
- getting me and my dog on our own ways

Figuring out how to get Pavlov across the country has proven challenging. The only two airlines that do direct SFO-PHL flights are American and United, and neither of them will take dogs. Well, American might be able to, but only if they decide to put one of their widebodies on that route, and I don't know if they do that, let alone when they would. I can be flexible on exact dates and endpoints, so I need to e.g. look into if OAK-PHL on Alaskan Airlines would work. I'm also looking into using companies that take pets across the country via ground transport. That would certainly be simpler logistically, in that I could hand Pavlov over to them, fly to the destination, then receive him at the other end.

Pavlov is a 72-pound mutt, and would probably require a "Giant" crate (certainly at minimum, an "Extra Large" crate).

I'm open to other suggestions that y'all might have. In exchange, here's some photos of Pavlov:

Thanks in advance!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Always appreciate good woof pics.

So, from an airline perspective, I'm sorry to report that you're hosed within the current parameters you've defined. The likelihood of AA flying a widebody out of PHL to anywhere that isn't Europe is very remote. Alaska is a solid option in terms of taking Pavlov without a bunch of extra horseshit (on top of the regular horseshit of flying with a pet, that is) but they do not offer non-stop flights out of PHL. You must transit SEA and I don't see that changing anytime soon due to the capacity impacts Alaska is dealing with thanks to Boeing's lovely manufacturing quality as of late.

So the easy button is to deal with the connection in Seattle and roll with it. Alaska has all the details and requirements on this helpful page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/policies/pets-traveling-with-pets/pets-in-baggage-compartment

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
To be clear: I'm traveling from SFO (or nearby airports) to PHL (or nearby airports).

A correction to my earlier post: Alaskan doesn't do OAK-PHL, but they do SFO-EWR (Newark, NJ, which is a two hour drive from Philadelphia) as a non-stop flight. That would also be acceptable, I think.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

To be clear: I'm traveling from SFO (or nearby airports) to PHL (or nearby airports).

A correction to my earlier post: Alaskan doesn't do OAK-PHL, but they do SFO-EWR (Newark, NJ, which is a two hour drive from Philadelphia) as a non-stop flight. That would also be acceptable, I think.

gently caress, that's my bad, I misread what you wrote. Yes, absolutely grab SFO-EWR on AS and drive down to Philly. United has ps service on SFO-EWR so that's also an option with several widebody choices usually.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pets are allowed on international flights*, what if you transfer in Canada?

*Sometimes

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

Pets are allowed on international flights*, what if you transfer in Canada?

*Sometimes

I would much prefer a direct flight, assuming I go with flying.

...which I might, because the first estimate I got back from a "drive your pet to their destination" service quoted me $5300 :shepface:

to clarify on the resistance to flying: it's just a giant logistical headache. It'd look something like this:

1: Deliver Pavlov to the kennel he normally stays at when I'm on vacation
2: Movers clear out the house
3: Take my car to a transport company to take across the country
4: Rent a car for local travel
5: Pick up Pavlov from kennel, spend night at a hotel (NB the SFO Hyatt airport hotel only allows dogs up to 50 pounds, not enough)
6: Drive to SFO (flight is at 8AM, so have to get up super early)
7: Return rented car
8: Fly to Newark on Alaskan Airlines
9: Rent car
10: Drive to Philadelphia (~2 hours)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would much prefer a direct flight, assuming I go with flying.

...which I might, because the first estimate I got back from a "drive your pet to their destination" service quoted me $5300 :shepface:

to clarify on the resistance to flying: it's just a giant logistical headache. It'd look something like this:

4: Rent a car for local travel
5: Pick up Pavlov from kennel, spend night at a hotel (NB the SFO Hyatt airport hotel only allows dogs up to 50 pounds, not enough)
6: Drive to SFO (flight is at 8AM, so have to get up super early)
7: Return rented car
8: Fly to Newark on Alaskan Airlines
9: Rent car
10: Drive to Philadelphia (~2 hours)

This is, uh, how it works. :shrug:

You're undertaking a fairly niche activity with very specific variables that are outliers (Pavlov the Great); it is unreasonable to expect to not have to jump through some hoops.

The Marriott at SFO doesn't have a weight restriction on pets that I can see so that may be a better option for staying near SFO. I would also ensure that you fill up the rental the night before, use short term parking to get Pavlov checked in, then go return the car and take the AirTrain back to the terminal.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Beef Of Ages posted:

This is, uh, how it works. :shrug:

You're undertaking a fairly niche activity with very specific variables that are outliers (Pavlov the Great); it is unreasonable to expect to not have to jump through some hoops.

The Marriott at SFO doesn't have a weight restriction on pets that I can see so that may be a better option for staying near SFO. I would also ensure that you fill up the rental the night before, use short term parking to get Pavlov checked in, then go return the car and take the AirTrain back to the terminal.

I expect some level of complexity, for sure. I'm just looking for any options I can find to minimize that complexity. It's never going to be simple.

Thanks for the advice on process; that all makes sense. The Marriott in particular would make things a lot easier: it's possible that I could check into the hotel, leave Pavlov in the room, return the rented car, then take a shuttle back to the hotel. That all depends on how far exactly their pet policy stretches, since I'd have to put him on the hotel shuttle to get to the airport in the morning.

I've also discovered that Alaskan has a separate service for shipping pets when you aren't on the same flight. That opens the possibility for this sequence:

4: Take a taxi to the airport hotel
5: Fly to Philadelphia without Pavlov; rent a car
6: (Next day) kennel people deliver Pavlov to airport; Pavlov flies to Newark
7: Pick up Pavlov from airport, drive to Philadelphia

This would omit renting a car in San Francisco, and split some activity across 2 days, but I'm not entirely sure it's worth it. I need to call Alaskan's customer support to clarify what my options are.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Sorry if I've missed it but could you just rent a car and road trip across country? I realize it would take days but you know, flying sucks.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It might be wise to enlist a friend to help with things like airport dropoff and kenneling.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

other people posted:

Sorry if I've missed it but could you just rent a car and road trip across country? I realize it would take days but you know, flying sucks.

This is Plan B, yeah. It's both more expensive and likely more stressful though; Plan A (flying) is one hell day, while Plan B is driving across the country, in winter. And while I like driving, I'm not sure I'm up for 3000 miles of it, plus the risk of road closures due to weather.

(Plan C is "pay someone to drive Pavlov across the country", but seeing as the first quote I received for such a service was $5300, I think it's probably not happening)

peanut posted:

It might be wise to enlist a friend to help with things like airport dropoff and kenneling.

Possibly, though I'm not entirely sure what all they would do. The fact that the flight leaves early in the day is also a challenge; I don't want to ask my friends to get up at 5AM.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Just to follow up on my case:

- I contacted Alaska Airlines and verified that they can take Pavlov on the SFO-EWR flight. Unfortunately, I have to call them to make his reservation (can't do it online), and the last two times I called, their hold times were >1 hour.
- I verified that the SFO Marriott allows pets, no weight limit but $75 pet fee. They will not take pets on the airport shuttle though.

So the plan stays as written: I'll need to rent a vehicle in SF solely so that I can get Pavlov from the hotel to the airport. Hm, or see if a taxi or "rideshare" is willing and able to transport pets...but the rented car feels a little more reliable. If the ride falls through for any reason, then I'm hosed.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yeah, you're suffering from a timing issue with regard to the reservation. Alaska is still dealing with the loss of nearly 30% of their daily capacity with the grounding of the 737 MAX 9. Lots of folks in the phone trying to get where they need to go.

I think your plan for a car rental is solid and the only reasonable way to do this with a guarantee of success.

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake
Perhaps I've missed something but Uber specifically has an option to order a car that allows pets. You can reserve it ahead of time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

everwake posted:

Perhaps I've missed something but Uber specifically has an option to order a car that allows pets. You can reserve it ahead of time.

One of my petty rebellions against the world is not using Uber or other "rideshare" companies. They're farcically illegal in multiple ways; most notably, the ways they abuse "contractors", and the fact that you need to have a commercial-class driver's license to drive other people around for money, instead of the class C license that the vast majority of people have.

Mind you, regular taxis probably have pet-friendly options as well. However, since I'll absolutely require a vehicle at like 4AM, I'd prefer not to rely on other companies. My anxiety is bad enough as it is.

It's possible that the moving company will need multiple days to get the house wrapped up: one to pack, one to load. If that's the case, I'll be spending an extra night at a hotel, and Pavlov will probably spend an extra night at the kennel.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I'm planning a ~10 day trip to the Netherlands & Belgium in May, looking to fly NYC -> AMS and BRU -> NYC (or the other way around). I've accumulated a whole lot of Chase UR points that I'd like to start using, but I don't think I've ever successfully used points by transferring them to an airline, only in the Chase portal.

How can I actually find a flight with points that's better than the Chase portal? I tried looking on United, KLM, and Virgin so far and didn't see anything that wasn't a comically bad value. Am I doing something wrong, or are hotels the only way to beat the portal now? Or did I just need to look much further in advance?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

runawayturtles posted:

I'm planning a ~10 day trip to the Netherlands & Belgium in May, looking to fly NYC -> AMS and BRU -> NYC (or the other way around). I've accumulated a whole lot of Chase UR points that I'd like to start using, but I don't think I've ever successfully used points by transferring them to an airline, only in the Chase portal.

How can I actually find a flight with points that's better than the Chase portal? I tried looking on United, KLM, and Virgin so far and didn't see anything that wasn't a comically bad value. Am I doing something wrong, or are hotels the only way to beat the portal now? Or did I just need to look much further in advance?

What you're seeing is the difference between revenue and award tickets. Airline award tickets have dramatically smaller availability than revenue tickets do for obvious reasons, and booking via the Chase portal is actually booking a revenue ticket from the airline's point of view, but Chase takes points from your account to pay itself back for buying you a revenue ticket via its travel agency (Expedia). So the key is exactly what you're experiencing: find an award flight available on a Chase partner airline, then transfer the points. In almost all cases this is a better value for the points you have, but it's much more difficult to find award space. That's the nature of the game.

Much further in advance or much closer in are two potential strategies, but award availability will vary widely between markets, routes, and seasons. Successful award ticket redemption often involves a lot of flexibility on your part so I'd also be checking BOS, IAD, PHL, and possibily even ORD, ATL, IAH, and other big international gateways that are relatively easy to get to from NYC. Additionally, check LHR, FRA, MUC, CDG, and other big international gateways in Europe. Paying for a comparatively inexpensive domestic ticket and the extra connection (either in the US or in Europe) may be worth the time and effort if you find a good award redemption for the over-water segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m flying for business in a couple weeks (YVR<-> YYZ, about a 4-5 hour flight depending on direction) and I’m eyeing the Air Canada seat upgrade bids. Are these a worthwhile deal on points for business or premium economy?

I have a modest 100k aeroplan points saved up. Do the prices fluctuate closer to the departure? Right now the bid range goes as low as 46k for business and 27k premium economy. I’m tall and getting crammed in economy is not fun. I’ll gut it out if it’s seen as a sucky deal though. I know very little about points rewards and rarely fly for pleasure trips.