Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

emSparkly posted:

So I have one more bit to check off on Aeldari in Distress, and that's in Tenebris Aquae. However, I've already been there and the only thing left to do is complete a battle with some Drukhari which doesn't seem to affect the quest at all. I think I've been buggered. If I check it off in toybox will that break anything down the road?

Yeah, that step of the quest is broken. Supposedly, it only works if you had Yrliet in your party the last time you went down to a planet. I didn't have the fortune of having that, so I just finished that step in Toy box and it worked fine for me. As long as you get to a step in the quest that says "Yrliet has told you the location of a hidden cache," you should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to use toybox/save-editing to change a character's 'dress'? E.g. make a rogue trader with the Sanctioned Psyker background wear clothes like they had the Astra Militarum background?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The Lone Badger posted:

You will never be as powerful as Idira. She gets +1 psi rating in exchange for exploding into demons all the time.

It really depends on if you value an extra psy rating over a like 99% extra chance to just screw your fight over. I personally don't so I just made my main character Idira Without The Part Where She Fucks You Over.

After a certain point with gearing and Psalm of Heroes a 1 psy rating lead is academic.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Pakled posted:

Yeah, that step of the quest is broken. Supposedly, it only works if you had Yrliet in your party the last time you went down to a planet. I didn't have the fortune of having that, so I just finished that step in Toy box and it worked fine for me. As long as you get to a step in the quest that says "Yrliet has told you the location of a hidden cache," you should be good.

I marked that step done and nothing has moved forward. I haven't gotten the next bit of the quest to appear and Yrliet has nothing to say when I talk to her.

I dread having to find an appropriate save from 6 hours ago to undo this ugh.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

It really depends on if you value an extra psy rating over a like 99% extra chance to just screw your fight over. I personally don't so I just made my main character Idira Without The Part Where She Fucks You Over.

After a certain point with gearing and Psalm of Heroes a 1 psy rating lead is academic.

The +1 psy rating definitely goes down in importance as the game progresses and sanctioned psykers can get quite good, but the gearing is actually what makes Idira much more effective at psy-rating dependent psyker stuff (i.e. melting brains for massive damage) than other characters tend to be for much of the game

you can acquire unsanctioned-psyker-only gloves very early that give you a stacking psy rating every time you trigger phenomena or perils - this seems like a bad idea, but the trick is that perils doesn’t tend to *actually* gently caress you over in a non-recoverable manner even with bad rolls (not least because you don’t start breaching the veil until the buff/extra action snowball has started), and so the odd demon summoning usually just adds some spice + bonus XP to your combat

so Idira just goes hog wild without the slightest care for the veil and scales strongly enough throughout combat that you can just power through her zapping the team or summoning the odd bloodletter

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

FeculentWizardTits posted:

I'm only up to Act 4 but I can count on one hand the number of times I've used a medkit or Heinrix's heal ability. I took Pasqal's healing mechadentrite ability thinking he'd double as the squad medic, but I've quite literally never used it. As someone said earlier, the combat is so binary that I'll either wipe the floor with the enemies and take very little damage, or I'll get stomped to the point where party members are dropping dead before they or the medic can get a heal in. The quantity of enemies you face only exacerbates this problem, lengthening the amount of time before you can use the injured character or your medic again.

Oh man I use it CONSTANTLY but all my characters have "do not die" or whatever so they've got a lot of health
Except Cassia who dies in one

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, most of the time perils of the warp is just some harmless "you get a spooky feeling" text. And with those gloves Idira gets +1 psy rating each time something spooky happens, even when it's harmless. And when it's something more dangerous, who cares Idira has something like 10 psy rating by that point so she can just one-shot whatever it is.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

emSparkly posted:

I marked that step done and nothing has moved forward. I haven't gotten the next bit of the quest to appear and Yrliet has nothing to say when I talk to her.

I dread having to find an appropriate save from 6 hours ago to undo this ugh.

Did you manually "start" the next step in toybox too?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Pakled posted:

Did you manually "start" the next step in toybox too?

I couldn't find a button to do that, but I found a save editor that let me do what you describe. Here's to hoping it's back on the rails.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Issaries posted:

Small things like that probably don't even hit the top 100 things that makes this game unbalanced.

yeah in fact deflection is one of those things that make zero mathematical sense because getting -2 dmg is meaningless when you are getting one or two shotted most of the time

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pushing Armour up to 100% or more can be worthwhile though.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

yeah armor and dodge are the actually important defensive stats because they are percent based

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

babypolis posted:

yeah in fact deflection is one of those things that make zero mathematical sense because getting -2 dmg is meaningless when you are getting one or two shotted most of the time

When you have nearly 100 armor and wear one of those 'skill/10' deflection bonus , it matters quite a bit. It's why you should get Abelard to focus on Carouse or Coercion

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

emSparkly posted:

I couldn't find a button to do that, but I found a save editor that let me do what you describe. Here's to hoping it's back on the rails.

I believe yrliets whole quest chain is one of the ones that's still busted and has triggers that don't work in chapter 4, but I could be wrong. I haven't seen many people saying they finished it.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Preechr posted:

Idira will never be as powerful as Argenta’s bolter to the back of her head. :commissar: forever

You say that but you can get Idira to crazy levels of strength if built and played correctly. In one combat that went long because of a mechanic that forced it to go long my Idira had 800 hp and 23 psy rating. Her aoe attack was doing 1000 damage per hit and pain channeling into all other nearby enemies.

That was with me focusing my officer turns into Argenta, if I put them into Idira it would’ve been even more nutty.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wouldn't know how powerful idira is since there are never any mobs alive by the time she gets to act. could be very powerful

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Nooooooo. I haven't played since the 23rd and was hoping to come back Friday to a mostly fixed Chapter 4. 😞

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

LegionAreI posted:

I do like that you have the option to ask the voxmaster what they thought of the uh performance. This game has some hilarious rear end in a top hat responses!

That's actually the best way to treat that situation. You end up with everyone complimenting your performance and the whole bridge has a good laugh about it all instead of treating it as an embarassment. Sometimes playing the hilariously shameless noble twit is genuinely the right move. :haw:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Magni posted:

That's actually the best way to treat that situation. You end up with everyone complimenting your performance and the whole bridge has a good laugh about it all instead of treating it as an embarassment. Sometimes playing the hilariously shameless noble twit is genuinely the right move. :haw:

It's genuinely one of Abelard best lines in the game, playing as a stuffy self important jerk ftl.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Zodium posted:

wouldn't know how powerful idira is since there are never any mobs alive by the time she gets to act. could be very powerful

Ahh yeah, that’s not a problem for me. In the first round my Idira usually has 6 turns without me focusing any officer turns into her.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, most of the time perils of the warp is just some harmless "you get a spooky feeling" text. And with those gloves Idira gets +1 psy rating each time something spooky happens, even when it's harmless. And when it's something more dangerous, who cares Idira has something like 10 psy rating by that point so she can just one-shot whatever it is.

The one thing that has screwed me over with warp stuff is an effect that causes everyone around Idira to go prone, which ends up skipping their next turn.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Further Reading posted:

The one thing that has screwed me over with warp stuff is an effect that causes everyone around Idira to go prone, which ends up skipping their next turn.

Common complaint but I think the games too liberal with both extra turns and turn skipping. Would be nicer if the effects were rarer and officer was more focused on force multiplication/giving orders and boosting the effectiveness of actions of your whole team instead of hyper boosting the action economy.

A real common boss effect is just getting free turns when attacked which is annoying and feels bad, and I've had a bunch of encounters with enemies that spam stun grenades.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 4, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
yeah i dunno how to even approach balancing the combat, unless they intend it to be how it is, the games action economy is basically "Yes"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sloober posted:

yeah i dunno how to even approach balancing the combat, unless they intend it to be how it is, the games action economy is basically "Yes"

40k has a skirmish subgame in killteam and in that a lot of officer types let you activate another character at the end of their own, or give them more ap for their turn, and that's super helpful because letting people go out of order is obviously real helpful in any situation, but the idea of taking multiple turns with the same character is pretty unheard of. Just being able to attack a second time is huge. If you limited it to everybody gets 1 activation a round, that would probably get a good start.

I am curious if they will do a really heavy rebalance of the game with the patches and dlc, I feel like that would mostly make people mad even if the game was improved in the long run.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 4, 2024

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Sharkopath posted:

I believe yrliets whole quest chain is one of the ones that's still busted and has triggers that don't work in chapter 4, but I could be wrong. I haven't seen many people saying they finished it.

I didn't. I was sad about that, she's a good character and I didn't have a lot of interaction with her after everything that happens with her in Act 3.

Even without that part of the quest firing, I still got some of the golden endings for Eldar/Human relations on Janus, though. It makes sense that the Imperium would come kill me as an arch-heretic for creating a world where the Asuryani and humans lived in harmony, to the point where the Eldar sent for by the elders of Crudarach end up getting talked down by the Farseer who was originally a big ol' dick to you and Janus is essentially untouched.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

babypolis posted:

yeah armor and dodge are the actually important defensive stats because they are percent based

One of the things that makes Argenta so busted is that you can get a stacking 2% bonus to dodge and a stacking 2% bonus to Armor, so even if you don't manage to murder everything on the screen you can just leave her in the open and enemies will waste their attacks on her instead of anyone who could actually do some damage.

I think max base deflection you can get on a character is in the 20s, with Ulfar's second power armor + Steel Shell. That's a very big chunk of mitigation off the original attack value, but it's nothing like having 200% armor so that even with very high armor pen you're taking 0% damage.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Thinking about it more, imagining this game as a tabletop scenario first probably would have caught this kind of stuff earlier. Imagine the tedium waiting for your turn in Combat but your officers keeps gifting free turns to the gunner ahead of you over and over again. And enemies doing it too? Would be an awful system. Just because a computer can do more complex math doesn't always mean stepping away from the inspirations like that is nwcessary.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The class system seems real dumb but somehow the combat is still fun, though I guess it eventually becomes a slog once you get off the first planet and stuff. I mostly just have a hard time making my melee characters useful in a meaningful way and dealing with short ranges, like, Idira is fragile as poo poo but can't zap anyone far away, same with Cassia though the lidless eye is so outrageously good it balances it out a bit

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm a couple of hours into act 5 need to beat the game before they nerf argenta into the ground.

Not that I'm opposed to a second playthrough with more balanced characters I Just don't want to have to massively change my tactics with probably only a few hours of gameplay left.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Feels like it’d be a bad decision to fundamentally change the way combat or characters play with a gigantic nerf when tons of people - probably literally tens of thousands since this game consistently has 15k+ players - would be a deranged decision but this is my first OwlCat game so I dunno if that’s the kind of thing they’ve done historically. I guess ToyBox renders that irrelevant but I prefer not to cheat if possible

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm a couple of hours into act 5 need to beat the game before they nerf argenta into the ground.

Not that I'm opposed to a second playthrough with more balanced characters I Just don't want to have to massively change my tactics with probably only a few hours of gameplay left.

That happened to me. I sat down to play the final mission and a patch deleted the armour and gun from the heretic secret character I was using. I can probably still play since he's barely relevant thanks to my other characters killing everything before he acts but still feels bad.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 4, 2024

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Thinking about it more, imagining this game as a tabletop scenario first probably would have caught this kind of stuff earlier. Imagine the tedium waiting for your turn in Combat but your officers keeps gifting free turns to the gunner ahead of you over and over again. And enemies doing it too? Would be an awful system. Just because a computer can do more complex math doesn't always mean stepping away from the inspirations like that is nwcessary.

The 4e warlord is the most popular new class from that edition and it’s entirely based around granting teammates extra actions.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sloober posted:

Yeah the thing is (at least on unfair) without doing officer cheese youll just get completely wrecked because its pretty much kill or be killed

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Oh, so it's classic Owlcat "use one of three valid builds or get hosed" moment with "use Officer" being new "dip vivisectionist".

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Anygoony know what's the major difference is between an Upgraded ship ability vs one that isn't Upgraded when you put party members into various ship roles?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Szarrukin posted:

Oh, so it's classic Owlcat "use one of three valid builds or get hosed" moment with "use Officer" being new "dip vivisectionist".

It would be interesting to try a playthrough without officer or grand strategist, but there's probably almost no room for error.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

The 4e warlord is the most popular new class from that edition and it’s entirely based around granting teammates extra actions.

Extra actions or taking a turn, taking another turn, and then taking a 3rd turn with unlimited actions?

Don't know much about 4th dnd.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Anygoony know what's the major difference is between an Upgraded ship ability vs one that isn't Upgraded when you put party members into various ship roles?

upgraded usually adds some kind of perk effect to it, like the shallow jump upgrades to do damage if you jump through a ship (you also take damage from it). some abilities can be used in other ship movement phases than they initially can, etc. usually i felt the upgrades fairly minor in scope

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sharkopath posted:

Extra actions or taking a turn, taking another turn, and then taking a 3rd turn with unlimited actions?

Don't know much about 4th dnd.
Most of the actions were like: "You apply a buff to your friend and they can roll some of their hit dice to instantly regain HP, representing rallying up under your encouragement." (Hit dice, in this edition, were a pool of dice you could roll during short breaks to regain HP.) Or like "you can take a free basic attack."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Will completing all 3 planets in Act 2 finish the act or can I still explore after?