Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cyks posted:

Offboarding accounts in AAD using the GUI is better than powershell hth.

Not at scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Do devops principles apply to internal corporate IT for a construction and real estate company where we have a mix of on prem and cloud servers and 80% of our job revolves around endpoints?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

johnny park posted:

Do devops principles apply to internal corporate IT for a construction and real estate company where we have a mix of on prem and cloud servers and 80% of our job revolves around endpoints?

If it’s big enough, or that cloud workload needs to auto scale, yes. If not, the costs in time and effort are probably more hassle than it’s worth.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My motto is that I'll never do anything twice. The first time I'll do it manually in the GUI or whatever, to understand what it is I'm actually doing. The second time I'll automate it in some way. Often times it's as simple as writing a small script to accomplish the task.

Any admin has tasks they do frequently that are pretty identical but still time consuming and/or tedious, and there's probably some API or command line interface to that too such that you can script the operation.

The biggest problem in getting started is that there's quite a bit of learned intuition around identifying take that can and should be "automated". And that intuition isn't something you'll get from reading "DevOps" tutorials that are mostly about kubernetes and terraform. I blow people's minds all the time by identifying things that can be automated and laying out strategies to automate them, because it's apparently not a skill you learn from just doing "admin" work. I don't really know what magic X factor it is I have that's let me develop that intuition. Well, maybe I do, but it's not really useful advice. I strongly suspect it's my ADHD and brain's constant search for novelty that drives me. I get incredibly frustrated with repetitive or mundane tasks, and have trouble repeatedly following lengthy processes that are mostly cut and paste. So I'm biologically inclined to seek and destroy tedium. Those of you who aren't neuro-spicy? I have no idea what advice to offer.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

i just want a 150k job for no work is that so hard

George H.W. oval office posted:

It's not! The trick is to get hired as an IT Manager (title inflated to IT Director) with the expectation that you'd be doing a fair amount of hands on work, go on vacation for 3 weeks before starting, have the guy who hired you get fired 1 week into the role then have the replacement want to lean on 3rd party vendors more heavily thus leaving you in a scenario where you've sort of slipped through the cracks in responsibility.

I work with an IT Manager making 150K who does literally nothing but attend meetings and deflect work to other teams and off of his. Its maddening but in a way impressive. Anything that should be his or his teams responsibility he either shucks off to someone else somehow or does so incompetently that the business gives up and has someone else do or just ignores. He's done this for years!

Super nice guy too, fun to work with. You know you're getting shafted but he just keeps on keeping on.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

johnny park posted:

If you have records of how configuration changes are made to those servers and you're using any type of code to do it, even simple scripts checked into git somewhere you're already doing devops.

If each of those servers is managed by logging in and changing poo poo by hand, I'm sorry.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Thanks Ants posted:

David Cameron 100% hosed a dead pigs head

to be fair, was there any doubt?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Maybe I'm confused. Is all automation considered devops?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

George H.W. oval office posted:

It's not! The trick is to get hired as an IT Manager (title inflated to IT Director) with the expectation that you'd be doing a fair amount of hands on work, go on vacation for 3 weeks before starting, have the guy who hired you get fired 1 week into the role then have the replacement want to lean on 3rd party vendors more heavily thus leaving you in a scenario where you've sort of slipped through the cracks in responsibility.

I have zero reports
I don't do any real sysadminy work since our vendors do it.
We have a project manager that does the heavy lifting of scheduling and keeping the vendors on track
I get paid 160k

Bing bong so simple

This owns

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

johnny park posted:

That's the beauty of devops. It's whatever you want it to be!

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

johnny park posted:

No. But if you do your automation in a certain way - versioned, source-controlled, repeatable, declarative - then you're starting to incorporate the practices that many consider to be "DevOps".

Hughmoris posted:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

johnny park posted:

Maybe its platform engineering

https://thenewstack.io/how-is-platform-engineering-different-from-devops-and-sre/

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We live in a post-meaning world where words mean nothing, so DevOps can be whatever you want. But I think that's a big part of the confusion here with people saying DevOps doesn't apply to them.

Ignoring an academic debate about the meaning of DevOps, I think we can look at the majority of literature and content around "DevOps" and say that no, automating your on-prem infrastructure is not "DevOps". But I'd be willing to split the hair and say it's using "DevOps principles" nonetheless.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Exchange admin console back when it was a Windows application (2007 I think) and not a web client used to be very wizard driven but at the final step before submitting the change it would show you the PowerShell that it was about to run to do what you'd just asked for. The M365 portals should be like this.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

johnny park posted:

No. You need some kind of source control and an pipeline before I’ll call it DevOps

For the original question though, you should of course automate it as much as feasibly possible, even if it’s just simple powershell scripts or whatever. That goes without saying you work in IT make the computer do computer things so you can gently caress off and do the parts that require brain cells and critical thinking

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Thanks Ants posted:

The Exchange admin console back when it was a Windows application (2007 I think) and not a web client used to be very wizard driven but at the final step before submitting the change it would show you the PowerShell that it was about to run to do what you'd just asked for. The M365 portals should be like this.

I recall some Azure products doing this 5 or so years ago. I may be misremembering but I'm pretty sure it showed me some az cli commands when I was clickops-ing resources for a side project.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

xzzy posted:

I hate spending my day massaging puppet manifests but then I lean back and reflect on how before config management all tasks were shell commands in a mediawiki instance that I was expected to cut and paste manually into a shell (interspersed with commentary so I couldn't copy the whole block at once). Definitely better off now.

High five Puppet bro. Puppet in particular was a great wedge for my org. We all had to learn Git to use r10k to deploy Puppet code. Once you know Git, it's hard to ever go back to not having source code control, so suddenly git repos for all our shell scripts and tooling began to spring up. Guys got used to have Puppet do the work for them. Stuff that was perceived as "not worth automating" when it was just one of 30 steps in a process suddenly became worth getting rid of when they were the last few manual steps in an otherwise automated process. My org is nowhere near DevOps today but our Ops practices have gone from 2005-vintage to at least 2018-era since we got rid of the people who were invested in blocking change.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

No. You need some kind of source control and an pipeline before I’ll call it DevOps

For the original question though, you should of course automate it as much as feasibly possible, even if it’s just simple powershell scripts or whatever. That goes without saying you work in IT make the computer do computer things so you can gently caress off and do the parts that require brain cells and critical thinking

Yeah, "automation" in my environment means writing Powershell scripts that are kept in a folder on a network drive. We don't use git or anything.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hughmoris posted:

not empty quoting

also apologies for being a dick last night. I was coming off a flight with COVID and merely wished to spread the good word about striving to do good works, and to attempt to attain enlightenment (idempotenence) before the great wheel turns and i reincarnate into helldesk once more.

also talking tech philosophy is fun. In what other thread would I be able to unironically use the phrases “neuromorphic computing” and “David Cameron hosed a pig head” in back to back posts and only appear to be like, 40% insane? I’ll acknowledge being a sanctimonious high minded ivory tower limousine liberal, but I’m still right fuckers!

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

johnny park posted:

Yeah, "automation" in my environment means writing Powershell scripts that are kept in a folder on a network drive. We don't use git or anything.

My suggestion - create a GitHub organization for your employer, make a private repository for scripts, and then move them all in there. No more fussing around with "who changed line 137?", or "I need to update it but $Person has it locked", or the dreaded "disk got corrupted and we lost all our scripts".

It's an incremental improvement that takes 5 minutes and 0 dollars and the next person to do your job will thank you for it. It's also a starting point for whatever else comes along where you think "hey, if we had a Git repo, we could do <other thing>"

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

johnny park posted:

Basically, if you have enough people and/or scripts where it’s annoying to manage, or want to give the users the ability to self-service using those scripts as the driving machinery, it may be worth standing some DevOps infra up. Otherwise don’t bother unless you just want to do it to learn how it’s done.

With a bit of dedication, you can get a free instance of gitlab and AWX working in a couple weeks, assuming you have free rein to do so. That’s how I got it started at my Org, and then once people realized how it works, and how much time it would save, organizational buy in materialized and we started provisioning more tooling and focusing on reskilling/filling out a DevOps group.

This is at a multi billing dollar company, but one of our best DevOps engineers came from a mid sized company at the rear end end of nowhere where he just built all the tooling himself because he was tired of doing all the bullshit. So if you do want to do it, there’s value in it for you professionally and you can mostly automate administrative and operational tasks if you try hard enough, even at a smaller organization

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 4, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What :yaycloud: was it where provisioning a VM in the portal created a support ticket and someone went off and built the machine for you? I want to say Softlayer but I could either be misremembering things or I just made this up.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

also apologies for being a dick last night.
if it helps, my feelings were not hurt in any way

quote:

but I’m still right fuckers!

no lies detected

Everything you talked about is absolutely an ideal worth striving for wherever possible

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dust settled from the layoff announcements. My team/division is untouched, but our former corporate overlords lost about 80% of their IT people. Including most of the sysadmins, desktop support, and network people. Welp.

We're hanging onto everyone until the end of March with an option to keep them longer if need be to assist with the migration. Though lol at thinking people are gonna hang around a minute longer than they need to at this point.

Silver lining is my boss explicitly said today that now he has a case for getting more sysadmins and network people now and has every reason to help believe he'll get them one way or the other. It just sucks poo poo they axed so many people.

Also the office where the majority of layoffs hit is in San Diego. They offered a sysadmin and a network admin role to those let go, but the position is in person in like Memphis or Tulsa or some poo poo. Which lol, because apparently everyone quickly turned that offer down when it was presented .

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

FISHMANPET posted:

:words: about automation

100%

Learning about the business from the smart people in the business doing the work (sometimes extremely hard to find those unicorns) will make you an automation savant compared to someone who can write better code. You can have the cleanest, best code, but if it’s not doing what people need it to do then who gives a poo poo about it.

My ideal process is to find the One Who Knows The Process, sit with them or train with them for a week, get an understanding of what their needs are, what would make things better for them then get to automating.

Basically if you know the process top to bottom, you can automate far more effectively. That thought weirdly gets pushback from some grey beards. Having the bigger picture is always useful.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Charliegrs posted:

I remember hearing this same thing about blockchains a few years ago

okay but hear me out...

What if we Blockchain the AI to the cloud?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And lose the key. Just throw it all out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

I thought we decided 2 weeks ago we were moving it all back on prem? I can't keep up anymore.

We are.
Except the twist is, we're putting the cloud on prem.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Handsome Ralph posted:

Dust settled from the layoff announcements. My team/division is untouched, but our former corporate overlords lost about 80% of their IT people. Including most of the sysadmins, desktop support, and network people. Welp.

We're hanging onto everyone until the end of March with an option to keep them longer if need be to assist with the migration. Though lol at thinking people are gonna hang around a minute longer than they need to at this point.

Silver lining is my boss explicitly said today that now he has a case for getting more sysadmins and network people now and has every reason to help believe he'll get them one way or the other. It just sucks poo poo they axed so many people.

Also the office where the majority of layoffs hit is in San Diego. They offered a sysadmin and a network admin role to those let go, but the position is in person in like Memphis or Tulsa or some poo poo. Which lol, because apparently everyone quickly turned that offer down when it was presented .

They doing any sort of retention/transition bonus? 3 to 6 months pay if they finished the transition work was my experience in the past. What's the severance look like?

I don't have a feel for the job market so far this year yet. Things weren't so great towards the end of the year, so if things are still rough out there more folks might be sticking around than you think.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

We are.
Except the twist is, we're putting the cloud on prem.

Tanzu on VMware Cloud on AWS Outpost in shipping containers placed in the parking lot.

But the shipping containers have redundant power, network, and cooling. And we have another shipping container in another parking lot across town in case the first one gets knocked offline.

We're fully containerized in the cloud!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

skipdogg posted:

They doing any sort of retention/transition bonus? 3 to 6 months pay if they finished the transition work was my experience in the past. What's the severance look like?

I don't have a feel for the job market so far this year yet. Things weren't so great towards the end of the year, so if things are still rough out there more folks might be sticking around than you think.

I know they offered severance packages and some retention bonuses, but I have no idea how good they are. Guess I'll find out when I meet with one of the impacted teams later on today.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I still cant figure out how its cheaper to run equivalent ec2 instances in VMC then it is just in AWS. Is it a loss leader? Have I been lied to? I just cant fathom how they make the numbers work as its been explained to me.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My former boss was offered 6 months lump sum if he stuck around 9 months to assist with the transition. Dude walked in at 10:30am, and was gone by 2 every day for at least 9 months.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Cenodoxus posted:

Tanzu on VMware Cloud on AWS Outpost in shipping containers placed in the parking lot.

But the shipping containers have redundant power, network, and cooling. And we have another shipping container in another parking lot across town in case the first one gets knocked offline.

We're fully containerized in the cloud!

Same, but our shipping containers are locked and on a truck, and the containers are refrigerated.
All our data is cold, and secured both at rest and in transit.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

tehinternet posted:

100%

Learning about the business from the smart people in the business doing the work (sometimes extremely hard to find those unicorns) will make you an automation savant compared to someone who can write better code. You can have the cleanest, best code, but if it’s not doing what people need it to do then who gives a poo poo about it.

My ideal process is to find the One Who Knows The Process, sit with them or train with them for a week, get an understanding of what their needs are, what would make things better for them then get to automating.

Basically if you know the process top to bottom, you can automate far more effectively. That thought weirdly gets pushback from some grey beards. Having the bigger picture is always useful.

After spending so long in desktop support and sysadmin poo poo, reading about devops and project management made me excited to one day be a part of that.

Must be from drinking the kool aid from The Phoenix Project, that was a fun read.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
I'm reminded today that acting with tact and the proverbial smile on your face to someone who is acting like a toddler over e-mail remains the best way to make them look foolish and petulant.

It also helps when you know they're the next target of a penetration test also.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

New org that purchased my org is good times.

Healthcare: $78/mo -> $192/mo
Dental: $14/mo -> $31/mo
Vision: $8/mo -> $14/mo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I pay something like $700/month for healthcare

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

The Fool posted:

I pay something like $700/month for healthcare

Not to mention probably a pretty high deductible, yeah? American healthcare is such a scam and I'm still surprised people haven't revolted because of it. The cost of groceries seems to be of higher concern to them lol