Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Reno in the ETC, bold. Nice work on Legend!

This is my Reno Priest. It is not optimized for winning:

### Reno Priest
# Class: Priest
# Format: Wild
#
# 1x (0) Raise Dead
# 1x (1) Chameleos
# 1x (1) Shadowcloth Needle
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 1x (2) Insight
# 1x (2) Seance
# 1x (2) Serena Bloodfeather
# 1x (2) Shadow Word: Pain
# 1x (2) Spirit Lash
# 1x (2) Thoughtsteal
# 1x (2) Twilight Torrent
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 1x (3) Cathedral of Atonement
# 1x (3) Handmaiden
# 1x (3) Identity Theft
# 1x (3) Madame Lazul
# 1x (3) Mindrender Illucia
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (3) The Harvester of Envy
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager
# 1x (0) Raise Dead
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 1x (5) Mass Hysteria
# 1x (4) Hysteria
# 1x (4) Kazakus
# 1x (4) Najak Hexxen
# 1x (5) Darkbishop Benedictus
# 1x (5) Mass Hysteria
# 1x (5) Raza the Chained
# 1x (6) Ra-den
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Theotar, the Mad Duke
# 1x (7) Aman'Thul
# 1x (7) Blackwater Behemoth
# 1x (7) Confessor Paletress
# 1x (7) Murozond, Thief of Time
# 1x (7) Mutanus the Devourer
# 1x (8) Elise, Badlands Savior
# 1x (8) Reno, Lone Ranger
# 1x (8) Shadowreaper Anduin
#
AAEBAZ/HAige1wr8E8MWhReDuwLYuwLwzwKQ0wLy7AKXhwPmiAPrmwP8owPXzgP70QP73wP44wOf6wOm7wP08QOLowTlsASktgSotgSW1AS42QS43ATF5ASX7wSGgwX9xAXP9gWv/wWLlQblnAbRngbJoQa+ogavqAYAAAEDl4cD/cQF184D/cQF0Z4G/cQFAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Boatswain posted:

Cool take on Reno Priest! Is there any particular reason you run Reno hero card instead of Anduin (and no Raza)?

I already have an inevitable wincon. Raza/Anduin is strong but if all I need to do is stay alive to complete the quest they don't really help my gameplan. Reno hero, on the other hand, is my only hope against Sargeras (as well as a few other less common problems) and it's a fantastic setup turn into the quest reward besides.

Desert Bus posted:

Reno in the ETC, bold. Nice work on Legend!

I actually didn't have OG Reno in the deck at all until I started running into a critical mass of all-in aggro around low Diamond. There just weren't very many matchups before that point where I would have found the burst healing more useful than Theo or a dragon tagged creature. On the other hand, my sidedeck was notably lacking for anti-aggro tools and I realized I never actually picked Sister Svalna for any particular matchup. I wanted to keep both a 6-drop in ETC for an emergency quest step completion option, so it just made sense to swap him in.

Desert Bus posted:

This is my Reno Priest. It is not optimized for winning:

The second Raise Dead in your ETC is the greediest thing ever, I love it. I'd be very reluctant not to have Steamcleaner included somewhere though, especially since your deck really needs the highlander tag on-line for the wincon to function. I know this sounds like heresy, but I think I'd replace Mutanus. Seven mana is just a lot for that effect.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Just got legend with Kibler's Sludgelock, matches up pretty well against the Treant druid that's been hovering around in high diamond and can really rush down the slower excavate decks that everyone's been playing since the paladin nerfs.

2x (1) Fracking
2x (1) Miracle Salesman
2x (1) Tour Guide
2x (1) Tram Mechanic
2x (2) Baritone Imp
1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
2x (2) Crescendo
2x (2) Disposal Assistant
2x (2) Thornveil Tentacle
2x (3) Furnace Fuel
2x (3) Sludge on Wheels
2x (3) Trolley Problem
2x (4) Crazed Conductor
2x (4) Disciple of Sargeras
1x (4) Pop'gar the Putrid
2x (4) Waste Remover
AAECAcn1AgKXoASAngYOx8IFyMIF3cIF9fgF2oAGhY4GlZcGlpcGl5cGmJcGhJ4G16IG96MGpqgGAAA=

Sludge on Wheels especially shines against all the dopey 1/1s and 2/2s that are around in the early turns, fuels strong Waste Remover turns later. Dont' sleep on playing a 4 mana 7/7 for no value though.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Lol @ this tavern failing the future-proof test on top of being lovely already. Summoned Kologarn from the druid spell that summons an 8-cost and sent the pinata back to my hand.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything that doesn’t kill the piñata normally will softlock the brawl yeah

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I remember starting the brawl and winning the brawl but the middle is ???

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I managed to summon the guy that turns targets into 3/3s when you attack, was an easy win.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

This brawl is always fun for the ‘will your opponent run into the filling the board vs piñata boardwipe the turns after it comes in?’ trap. Great to have a skill/memory check that swingy 10 mins into the match

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Also Solar Eclipse doesn't double cast any of the pinata spells, which is a bummer.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Blasmeister posted:

This brawl is always fun for the ‘will your opponent run into the filling the board vs piñata boardwipe the turns after it comes in?’ trap. Great to have a skill/memory check that swingy 10 mins into the match

Had a opponent do this, as well as never use the “Lunar + Heal 8” combo that I gave them when they cast the Rogue Copy All Cards secret (the secret was also cast too early, but w/e, I still made it work).

Just let themselves get low and never used it. We had the Piñata down to 25 and would have easily won if they didn’t do either of those things.

I guess that’s why the cards say “opponent” and not “partner”

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
TIL how much Coroner fucks that stupid Paladin lifesteal aura accidentally after Discovering one, and it might have been the sweetest moment I’ve had in years.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
It's fun to have Barov back in BGs. Went 5 on 5 with a triple and didn't even lose the fight, somehow

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Which expansions rotate in march?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sunken city, nathria, and lich king

it's always the oldest three, or equivalently the preceding year, as standard is made of the current year (wolf) and previous year (hydra), and when rotation comes around with the next expansion in spring it'll be wolf and whatever the new year is

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
That’s so many cards :[

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

That’s so many cards :[

On the plus side the smaller format post rotation will mean more of this current years cards will become playable.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Just play Wild. No need to abandon cards.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i miss twist already

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

flatluigi posted:

i miss twist already

Did they shut that down?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Desert Bus posted:

Did they shut that down?

yeah it's apparently meant to go in and out of existence and they extended it for the holidays, but as of this month it's gone and it'll be over a month until it returns (i don't even know if they have a return date down, possibly even after rotation)

as someone who played at release and took a very long break, it was hitting about exactly where my card collection was pretty full so i got to keep trying out new decks in it

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Twist is supposed to return in February with a brand new format.

I liked the idea of Twist, but they’ve done a bad job managing it. The test format was Wild-lite, and then the next three were just the same poorly-balanced format with small tweaks. The least they could have done was pick some sets that never shared a Standard to go along with Caverns of Time, but they haven’t even tried that yet.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

orangelex44 posted:

I have braved the wilderness of endless Even Shamans and broke into Wild Legend this month! The format is significantly less enjoyable at high Diamond - basically all the fun decks disappear and it's just aggro bullshit.

I was an aggro no-fun player up to d5 this month, with shadow priest.

### wild agro shadow
# Class: Priest
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (1) Drone Deconstructor
# 2x (1) Leper Gnome
# 2x (1) Mind Sear
# 2x (1) Miracle Salesman
# 1x (1) Patches the Pirate
# 2x (1) Shadowbomber
# 2x (1) Ship's Chirurgeon
# 2x (1) Voidtouched Attendant
# 2x (2) Celestial Projectionist
# 2x (2) Mind Blast
# 2x (2) Twilight Deceptor
# 2x (3) Cathedral of Atonement
# 2x (4) Frenzied Felwing
# 1x (5) Darkbishop Benedictus
# 2x (6) Thirsty Drifter
# AAEBAafDAwKRvAK+ogYOoQSSBZEPurYD184Do/cDrfcDhoMF3aQFuf4F44AGhY4GxpwGyKEGAAA=

Then I ran into the aggro diamond 5 wall like you said, so I switched to even warrior which just completely farmed all the shadow priests, pirate rogues, and even shaman bots. Which was almost the only decks I saw so I think from d5 to legend I lost two games, and one was the mirror

### even war
# Class: Warrior
#
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 2x (2) Bash
# 2x (2) Bladestorm
# 1x (2) Corsair Cache
# 2x (2) Drywhisker Armorer
# 2x (2) Frozen Buckler
# 2x (2) Minefield
# 2x (2) Shield Block
# 2x (2) Stoneskin Armorer
# 2x (4) Craftsman's Hammer
# 1x (4) E.T.C., Band Manager
# 1x (4) Eater of Secrets
# 1x (5) Brawl
# 1x (7) Rokara, the Valorous
# 2x (4) Igneous Lavagorger
# 1x (4) Rancor
# 1x (4) Smothering Starfish
# 1x (6) Genn Greymane
# 1x (6) Khaz'goroth
# 2x (6) Trial by Fire
# 1x (8) Odyn, Prime Designate
# 2x (10) Shield Shatter
# AAEBAaiaBgjN9ALAuQOP7QONtQTipAX9xAXG8wWl9gUL/wepFc/nAri5A7beA/mMBPqMBO/OBJD7BaH7BaT7BQABA7yKBP3EBYigBP3EBdKeBv3EBQAA

I had something else besides eater of secrets, and swapped that partway through after seeing one mage, and of course never ran into a mage after putting that in.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

This is for the Goon I just played:

### Beasty Boys 3.0
# Class: Hunter
#
# 2x (0) Devouring Swarm
# 2x (0) Serpentbloom
# 2x (1) Alleycat
# 2x (1) Awakening Tremors
# 2x (1) Springpaw
# 2x (1) Wolpertinger
# 2x (2) Starving Buzzard
# 1x (3) Acidmaw
# 1x (3) Dreadscale
# 2x (3) Harpoon Gun
# 2x (3) Master's Call
# 2x (5) Shadehound
# 2x (5) Tundra Rhino
# 1x (6) Beaststalker Tavish
# 2x (6) Hollow Hound
# 1x (6) Hope of Quel'Thalas
# 1x (7) Hydralodon
# 1x (8) Stranglethorn Heart
#
AAEBAZ/DAwbJFMoU25EE57kEsJMF0/gFDLsF2QnquwKghQOkiAOizgPm7gOU/AODyATA7QSP5AXI9gUAAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Duels is being discontinued in April.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
astonished mercs outlived duels but I guess there must still be people spending money on mercs

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have a rando not-Goon HS friend who plays a LOT of Mercs and I just don't get it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I mean I like it too, but it was put into the game while I was on break from it and since I've returned I can't shake the feeling that the mode might just disappear as soon as I decide to put some serious time into it

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Honestly feel like them making Duels semi-constructed instead of a full draft really shot it in the head in the long run

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Mercs stopped receiving updates ages ago, it definitely did not outlive Duels. The difference is that Mercs can stay in the game despite being dead and Duels can't, for two main reasons.

1) Mercs is primarily a single-player mode with a PVP mode that the devs at large have ignored for ages. If most people stop playing it because it blatantly has no resources being invested in it, it doesn't matter because the two people left never have to actually interact. Duels is PVP, when players leave the matchmaking gets worse and thus more people leave and the matchmaking gets worse and-

2) Mechanically, Mercs is completely disconnected from the main game. The only place anything overlaps is with Do X Fire Damage quests. Duels uses actual cards from the main modes but with a bunch of unique mechanics-pushing stuff, which means stuff breaks all the time. That means Duels has much higher dev costs because people need to fix everything that keeps breaking, despite having a userbase that's constantly leaving because the only dev attention they ever get is someone coming in to fix the latest game-breaking bug that's constantly affecting the meta.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Mercs stopped receiving updates ages ago, it definitely did not outlive Duels. The difference is that Mercs can stay in the game despite being dead and Duels can't, for two main reasons.

1) Mercs is primarily a single-player mode with a PVP mode that the devs at large have ignored for ages. If most people stop playing it because it blatantly has no resources being invested in it, it doesn't matter because the two people left never have to actually interact. Duels is PVP, when players leave the matchmaking gets worse and thus more people leave and the matchmaking gets worse and-

2) Mechanically, Mercs is completely disconnected from the main game. The only place anything overlaps is with Do X Fire Damage quests. Duels uses actual cards from the main modes but with a bunch of unique mechanics-pushing stuff, which means stuff breaks all the time. That means Duels has much higher dev costs because people need to fix everything that keeps breaking, despite having a userbase that's constantly leaving because the only dev attention they ever get is someone coming in to fix the latest game-breaking bug that's constantly affecting the meta.
c.) People spent money on mercs packs and duels monetization was piggybacking on normal acquisition.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Buying a Mercs bundle was possibly one of the worst decisions of my life and I am not a smart person.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

No Wave posted:

c.) People spent money on mercs packs and duels monetization was piggybacking on normal acquisition.

That too. The special merc bundles were horrible value, but now that the mode's in a vegetative state it's probably making a net profit on the almost-not-a-ripoff normal merc bundles.

(Like, they're still a bad deal because grinding for unit improvement is the entire gameplay loop of the mode and if you pay to bypass it what's the point, but they aren't horrible the way the launch bundles were.)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

RIP, that was the main mode that kept me going for the last few years. 10 years out of a game is pretty good I guess but I'd been thinking about hanging it up anyway.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Desert Bus posted:

I have a rando not-Goon HS friend who plays a LOT of Mercs and I just don't get it

I played it a bit. It was kind of like a large Dungeon Run or Monster Hunt with interesting quirks and abilities, permanent upgrades and a potentially cool PvP mode. In my opinion, the biggest problems were excessive gaps between content and an inability to exchange tokens of maxed characters for tokens of new characters for way too long. Little incentive to grind new characters if you're mostly getting tokens for the original characters and can't trade them for anything.

Duels was fun for a couple weeks, but depended way too heavily on RNG swings. It would have made (and since they have the code for it may yet make) for a great recurring Tavern brawl but as its own mode it fell short IMO. Yes, I realize Hearthstone is heavily dependent on RPG and some cards in constructed go overboard, but I felt Duels ended up in Ludicrous Speed regarding RNG.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Yeah I enjoyed the puzzle nature of mercs mode and checking boxes but now I achieved my goal of f2p full maxed collection and zero interest in the renown for renown’s sake ‘endgame’ or PVP, it exists only for spell school quest completion.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Mercs was fun for what it was. The PvE was a kind of best hits of classic WoW if you count Karazhan as content that was originally supposed to be in Vanilla before it was moved to TBC (save for Sunken City/Siege of Orgrimmar which got shoehorned in to fit the one expansion theme). Yes, it was flawed - fire comp was so dominant in PvE that they had to put in bosses specifically with fire resistance to make it a challenge - but it was something they were trying to address.

This is speculation, but there was still active development when the dev team was abruptly yanked off of it (unfinished versions of Serena and Leorokk were showing up in the random enemy merc pool in PvE) and the reason it stopped getting updated was that they lost the biggest source of the mode's income - the Chinese playerbase. The Netease contract fell apart on 11/17/2022 but officially on 1/23/2023, and Mercs had its final update shipped on 2/7/2023, leading me to believe that they were hoping something could be salvaged to the last second.

flatluigi posted:

astonished mercs outlived duels but I guess there must still be people spending money on mercs

There was that new year's Merc bundle that must have escaped notice in the game code that people were gawking at. I'm certain a few people bought it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Color Printer posted:

Honestly feel like them making Duels semi-constructed instead of a full draft really shot it in the head in the long run

yeah I didn't try it much but whenever I did it seemed like a bunch of tryhards with the same 2-3 decks all hoping to get top-tier treasures to steamroll their way to an easy 12-0

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

You know what card I really like in a vacuum? Infinite Amalgam. Buff that boy! Make him summon 2-costs instead!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i definitely didn't try out duels for much because it definitely seemed like all the Good Decks involved very specific cards i didn't own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I really liked duels, so I'm definitely a bit bummed. But whaddyagonnado.