Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will it?
Yes
No
View Results

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

echinopsis posted:

what’s this snappification is it to do with snapchat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_(software)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3des these nuts
Nov 10, 2023

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah there's a billion easy fixes for this

you could set up a cron job even

or, hell, mount cifs in the efi shell and make it available to everything

x-systemd.automount rules, thanks for the nudge

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

don't get why you thanked the one suggesting a plethora of hacks instead of systemd automounting

3des these nuts
Nov 10, 2023

thanks homie

3des these nuts
Nov 10, 2023

Tankakern posted:

don't get why you thanked the one suggesting a plethora of hacks instead of systemd automounting

i'm bad at computer as demonstrated above

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i installed debian on an ancient core duo w a dvd drive to rip cds/dvds

it works fine w firefox and wayland too on a 4k monitor, but at half res since the hardware cant drive 4k

non universal copy/pasting (meaning ctrl or command and xcp) is still weird as poo poo though

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Beeftweeter posted:

wine is honestly, legitimately pretty great now

wine works for precisely the bits of the win32 api that are necessary for video games (empty user32 window for dxvk to work with, input apis, sound apis, file io, network io, whatever hokey crap denuvo does under the hood).

for everything else it is unusable garbage

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

good thing you should only use windows for video games then

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
or binaries that still need to work 5 years from now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"weird engineering tool that hasn't been updated since 1999 but is still perfectly functional and a required part of the workflow"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

wine works for precisely the bits of the win32 api that are necessary for video games (empty user32 window for dxvk to work with, input apis, sound apis, file io, network io, whatever hokey crap denuvo does under the hood).

for everything else it is unusable garbage

exactly, the perfect windows facsimile

and heads and shoulders behind linux-native desktop apis which most certainly don't work for anything anyone cares about.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
lol if you use any linux api that isn't at most a thin wrapper over one of the actual system calls

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

to make a serious post (that i've made before but not in this thread) i love both wine and wsl, the kind of person who would seriously talk about "linux on the desktop" hates both, but as far as interesting things and realistic usefulness for real people things are actually real good atm.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if you're a zoomer or one of those younger millennials that lives entirely out of google services, you could use linux for everything you do and never notice.

you won't, because you probably already own a mac, but you've been doing it since they handed you a chromebook in grade school

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

open()/read()/write() and /dev/kmem is all the api you need

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

what’s this snappification is it to do with snapchat

there are too many linux distros out there. so we will snap our fingers and, at random, half of them will be culled from existence.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also enjoying the fact that we've forked the linux thread for absolutely no reason, in the grand tradition of linux things

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

also enjoying the fact that we've forked the linux thread for absolutely no reason, in the grand tradition of linux things

slightly heavier on the 'pos' part in this one, which is nice.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

i've always assumed the other one is just people earnestly arguing why systemd is the herald of the apocalypse or whatever the sectarian flamewar of the day is

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

there are too many linux distros out there. so we will snap our fingers and, at random, half of them will be culled from existence.

inshallah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

infernal machines posted:

i've always assumed the other one is just people earnestly arguing why systemd is the herald of the apocalypse or whatever the sectarian flamewar of the day is

Wayland / X11 probably

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

has anyone said system deez nutz yet?

yo mamma loves when i provide my system d service to her

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
she loves to get a slice of my unit

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i got a d your mom can audit right here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Share Bear posted:

i installed debian on an ancient core duo w a dvd drive to rip cds/dvds

it works fine w firefox and wayland too on a 4k monitor, but at half res since the hardware cant drive 4k

non universal copy/pasting (meaning ctrl or command and xcp) is still weird as poo poo though

try clear linux on it, it really speeds up old intel hardware (but it won't make the gpu magically capable of driving 4k, obviously)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mr. Crow posted:

Wayland / X11 probably

nah pretty much everyone agrees wayland is better than a 40 year old protocol

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

echinopsis posted:

that’s right there are no linux users, only linux victims

trying to dispute this statement but i really can't find any valid arguments against it

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
imagine running gentoo and downloading binaries

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Beeftweeter posted:

nah pretty much everyone agrees wayland is better than a 40 year old protocol

:wrong: all the linux threads are actively complaining about it actually. itll be better in a year or three probably but the user experience is still poo poo (see: nvidia is still broken)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

wayland nvidia is pretty much fine unless you want to play a video game in which case 🥴

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

frankly my experience w/ games hasnt been that much better with nvidia and x11 either though

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

post hole digger posted:

frankly my experience w/ games hasnt been that much better with nvidia and x11 either though

skill issue

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

:wrong: all the linux threads are actively complaining about it actually. itll be better in a year or three probably but the user experience is still poo poo (see: nvidia is still broken)

i've been using wayland on nvidia for the last couple of years. outside of a few minor issues like xwayland application windows (never games) briefly flickering on rare occasions, it's been absolutely fine, and the explicit-sync fixes for that are queued up

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
when I last dallied with Linux, I tried pinball fx3 and it would run really choppy unless I disabled compositing. kinda a big deal for me so it didn’t stick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wayland smithers

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

skill issue

ya a skill issue of nvidia devs to not make a piece of poo poo driver!!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
every now and again I try to daily KDE and it makes GNOME look downright polished by comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
out of the box plasma 5 is pretty polished. like i'd say it's for "power users" because it's pretty complex, but honestly it's pretty easy to use if you've just used a computer before and pretty much everything kde related is well explained in the settings or when you change widgets etc.