Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Komet posted:

I blame Facebook mostly. My family was not religious and I grew up with a deep appreciation of science, but as my family aged, their information space was corrupted by their Facebook network of morons, and my parents lost the ability to evaluate credibility of the information they consumed.

Luke O'Neil, a good writer with an insanely depressing newsletter that I've subscribed and unsubscribed to several times, did great work a few years ago about families that literally lose their parents and elders to right-wing disinformation and agitation. Some of the stories were incredibly sad and scary. It made me very, very happy that my parents (him career Navy, her a Southern Baptist upbringing) have kept their critical faculties and bullshit detectors healthy as they aged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I have determined by the transitive property of good boys that the Huskies should win because dogs are my dawgs.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Komet posted:

Wawa is expanding aggressively in Florida. It seems like cheating to expand into a non-contiguous state.

There's a Sheetz just north of Greensboro, NC, but I haven't seen any others yet. Maybe there are more on 95.

The Shewa / Watz Bowl should be hosted in a city where the two are in direct competition, like Richmond or Charlottesville.

They are building a Wawa in Wilkes-Barre. The closest other Wawa is like 20 miles away. Lets have it here.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

KKKLIP ART posted:

I have determined by the transitive property of good boys that the Huskies should win because dogs are my dawgs.

QED

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

The week of the Pac-12 championship I felt like I was going to throw up every day. After we won I told myself I was happy with that and whatever else happens would be just icing on the cake. Then we had to go and make the national title game and I'm back to wanting to puke again, go Huskies!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

GD_American posted:

Luke O'Neil, a good writer with an insanely depressing newsletter that I've subscribed and unsubscribed to several times, did great work a few years ago about families that literally lose their parents and elders to right-wing disinformation and agitation. Some of the stories were incredibly sad and scary. It made me very, very happy that my parents (him career Navy, her a Southern Baptist upbringing) have kept their critical faculties and bullshit detectors healthy as they aged.

that's a good read. the right wing agitprop is made very easy since apparently no one over the age of 50 bothered to learn any self reflection or basic critical thinking skills. just a series of self absorbed dick bags desperate to be mad at someone else even tho they've largely got it made

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Komet posted:

There's a Sheetz just north of Greensboro, NC, but I haven't seen any others yet. Maybe there are more on 95.

There's a few in Raleigh-Durham and like five on 95.

A year ago, we were driving to visit family in Atlanta and we got word en route that they had covid. We found out in Durham, so we got gas at a Sheetz, saw the Can Opener Bridge, and went home. Most expensive Sheetz run ever.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Sash! posted:

There's a few in Raleigh-Durham and like five on 95.

A year ago, we were driving to visit family in Atlanta and we got word en route that they had covid. We found out in Durham, so we got gas at a Sheetz, saw the Can Opener Bridge, and went home. Most expensive Sheetz run ever.

There's plenty of Sheetz in North Carolina, but they stop halfway to Charlotte, where the QuikTrips start up. Wawa's building some locations closer to the coast; idk if there's any Sheetz out that way since I've not been in close to a decade. There's plenty of the latter in Florida since that's where all their clientele retired to.

In this Sheetz/Wawa bowl, the Sheetz team should dump a cooler full of 2/$1 hot dogs on their coach. The Wawa team should dump a cooler full of soft pretzels.

And then the Bucee's beaver runs in and dumps Beaver Nuggets on everyone.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I was very surprised to see Wawa in Gainesville last year.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

As a Pac northwester all you people talking "sheetz" and "wawa" sound like you're making nonsense talk ala those old "wisemind" memes.

"I gotta go sheetz at the wawa downtown to protect the wisemind"

Anyway, go huskies!!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

EmbryoSteve posted:

As a Pac northwester all you people talking "sheetz" and "wawa" sound like you're making nonsense talk ala those old "wisemind" memes.

Anyway, go huskies!!

*thinking really hard*

its like.... Plaid Pantry??????

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Alaois posted:

*thinking really hard*

Oh, cool, then I know where to go to find a meth dealer on the east coast.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
There is a Wawa being built two miles from my house in Mobile AL, so I guess I'm being enlisted into this fight on one side without even wanting to

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
I feel like Husky fans should go with WaWa and Michigan is Sheetz

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Julian Fleming is going to Penn St

Better late than never, but sure would have of been nice if he did this coming out of HS

So as background, Fleming was a local 5* heavily recruited PA kid who seemed like a Penn State lock until Ohio State swooped in and got him a few years ago. I was working behind the Ohio State sidelines towards the end of the OSU @ PSU game last year. OSU was winning comfortably with only a few minutes left to go so the fans were all starting to leave. OSU players were standing on the bench facing the crowd waving and sort of taunting the fans. Anyway this old crotchety looking Penn State fan comes down to the edge and in a surprisingly loud voice yells 'Hey Julian!' to which Fleming turns to him and is like 'What?'. At this point I start walking over thinking 'Oh poo poo here we go' as I get ready to tell the fan to move along. Then he yells out something like 'I just wanted to let you know you are one of the most talented players I've ever watched and I think you are going to be successful in anything you decide to do in life!' and Fleming touched his hand to his heart and was like 'thank you, that means a lot'. The whole thing was just so :unsmith:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

GD_American posted:

My dad bought into some increasingly wild poo poo in his last few years (the physician and lifelong whiskey aficionado blamed his pancreatic cancer on the covid vaccine) but fortunately his innate cheapness kept him from giving the house to Oral Roberts or Dan Crenshaw.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Oh, cool, then I know where to go to find a meth dealer on the east coast.

Naw, you need to find like an A Plus or Speedway for that.

Your shorthand is basically Sheetz is Pittsburgh and Wawa is Philly, but there's also Royal Farms (Baltimore) and Rutter's (York). All four got started as dairy products dealers, which means they've been selling food longer than gas.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My grandparents in NoVa loving loved Sheetz. Popping in for hot coffee and cocoa in grandfathers baby blue Subaru wagon in the icy wind and sleet is a formative memory of mine.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Very on brand for UM - a video my grandma would love

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pleased to meet you, Mr. Washington University in St. Louis

It’s pronounced Woostle thank thank you very much

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

EmbryoSteve posted:

Anyway, go huskies!!

Anyone up for a quick round of Mornington Crescent?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

i am a moron posted:

Very on brand for UM - a video my grandma would love

She sounds like a cool grandma.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
hi grandma i made u this amv that also is an internet meme :)

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Sash! posted:

Sheetz emphatically declined to expand fully into the Big Ten footprint the other day. An Instagram comment on the Sheetz account asked them to expand to Wisconsin and Sheetz just said "no."

Why would Wisconsin even want a Sheetz? Kwik Trip is superior in every way and there are 6 of them in every town in the state.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Julian Fleming is going to Penn St

Better late than never, but sure would have of been nice if he did this coming out of HS

Julian’s legitimately the most underrated receiver Ohio State’s had in a while. His hands remain sus, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a guy that freakishly talented who was willing to block like that. Without the injury history, he probably is in the league by now, but it’s extremely mixed feelings here that we’ve essentially recruited over him now.

Pity y’all are trying to give another quarterback Hackenberg syndrome while he’s arriving.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

TheGreyGhost posted:

Julian’s legitimately the most underrated receiver Ohio State’s had in a while. His hands remain sus, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a guy that freakishly talented who was willing to block like that. Without the injury history, he probably is in the league by now, but it’s extremely mixed feelings here that we’ve essentially recruited over him now.

Pity y’all are trying to give another quarterback Hackenberg syndrome while he’s arriving.

It's a really weird situation with Drew Allar because he looked so good against WVU in the first game of the year and seemingly lost his self confidence throughout the season. He frankly doesn't fit into Andy Kotelnicki's scheme, so I'm curious if Kotelnicki can adapt his scheme around Allar and rebuild Allar's confidence in the offseason, or if Allar is unfixable. The backup QB, Beau Pribula, is definitely more of a mobile QB, but I hesitate to call him "dual threat" because he doesn't seem very good at passing.

Allar was so pedestrian that it made me miss Sean Clifford. Clifford had obvious technical deficiencies, but he never lacked for confidence. He was equally capable of making great plays to win games and throwing back-breaking picks to lose. Allar is too scared to do either. He protects the ball well enough for Penn State to beat every inferior team, but lacks the ability to compete against Ohio State, Michigan, etc. PSU had a great defense last year that kept them in both of those games, but the offense was so inept that we lost to the most vulnerable looking Ohio State team since 2011.

Komet fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 4, 2024

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kaidon Salter and his leading receiver, CJ Daniels, hit the portal, will be major targets for anyone with openings

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Yates posted:

Why would Wisconsin even want a Sheetz? Kwik Trip is superior in every way and there are 6 of them in every town in the state.

RIP to the 3 for $1.00 hotdogs

I also judge people who try to correct the spelling to Quick. Imposters.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I can't get excited for Fleming because it just means one year of one good receiver getting missed.

I don't like Allar and prefer $3 bargain bin Roethlisberger variants

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So I guess the transfer portal closes today and you can't enter it until it opens back up in the spring. Is there a deadline that players have to decide by?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

I can't get excited for Fleming because it just means one year of one good receiver getting missed.

I don't like Allar and prefer $3 bargain bin Roethlisberger variants

Franklin is loyal to his players to a fault, so if Kotelnicki can't somehow fix Allar, we are definitely stuck with him because there's no way there will be a legitimate QB competition.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

So I guess the transfer portal closes today and you can't enter it until it opens back up in the spring. Is there a deadline that players have to decide by?

AFAIK, the portal closed a few days ago for everyone except players in bowl games have 5 days after their bowl to declare and transfer. So the guys in the NCG can still transfer after the game is over.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

in this part of maryland a sheetz and royal farms opened by each other last year

and a wawa a couple of miles south is coming soon

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
New England is like, Cumberland Farms territory? “Cumbys” it’s not that good. (much like New England collegiate football and now also pro football$

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Alaois posted:

*thinking really hard*

There's only 1 left in Seattle!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Good news. Barstool probably lost a bunch of money and they're not sponsoring the bowl moving forward.

https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1742960885738385606?s=20

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Good news. Barstool probably lost a bunch of money and they're not sponsoring the bowl moving forward.

https://twitter.com/FOS/status/1742960885738385606?s=20

So what food mascot will step in? I hope Chef Boyardee

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I want to see a giant smiling Viennetta happily sacrifice its flesh while the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors enjoy its decadent layers of ice cream and flaky chocolate

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Love a vienneta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

augias posted:

Love a vienneta

Oh man I miss the mint one.