Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I love it when people claim that they're running AD&D1e RAW for a group of 9 year olds who just absolutely love it. No you're not and they wouldn't if you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually prefer point buy over rolling.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Jack B Nimble posted:

Talking about 3d6 down the line brings up a topic that's been on my mind; what are your personal sweet spots between not doing a modern stat array and not being frustrated your character is a real sad sack.

So, what are your preferred methods? 3d6 and put them where you want them? 3d6 and swap two? Rolling different amounts for different stats?

For context, I'm looking to run a OSR flavored game sometime this year or next, whenever my turn as GM comes around. This will be the first time most players have played a "push your luck" sandbox game where your characters are much more fragile and mundane, and I want yo avoid too much of an initial shock if they roll up a procession of sub ten stats
Gamma World 7th Edition, published by Wizards of the Coast, and based on the Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition rules does this the best: roll two classes/races/origins/powers, which each give you a high score in their most important stat, and then roll 3d6 down the line.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
"I got elf elf." -- a thing you will never hear, because Mearls is a coward.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mearls was not competent and outsourced his job to ENWorld. They told him to make 3e again.

Hollismason posted:

I actually prefer point buy over rolling.
D&D, in most of its iterations, is a game where most PCs are going to want a couple high scores and not care so much about the rest. Of course we'd all like to have 18-20 in every score. This was basically codified in 4e and continued in 5e. Random chargen with a bell curve is downright hostile to this, so why bother?

I'm trying to remember one or two indie games that recognized this and has you using 1d10+8 or some other random roll methods that aren't 3d6, but I can't.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The (in)famous Unearthed Arcana rolling method had you roll from 9d6 down to 3d6 (comeliness as #7) depending on how important a stat was for your class.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I've never used it for a game but always wondered if any group tried Method IV from the 1E DMG:

quote:

3d6 are rolled sufficient times to generate the 6 ability scores, in order, for
12 characters, The player then selects the single set of scores which he or
she finds most desirable and these scores are noted on the character
recordsheet.

Just a chill 72 rolls to find some ability scores

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
At that point, you may as well use the Dragon Union method, where everyone can keep rolling 3d6-down-the-line until they get a set they're happy with, with a time limit if you're the last one.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

aw frig aw dang it posted:

I've never used it for a game but always wondered if any group tried Method IV from the 1E DMG:

Lol why 12? It's not a terrible idea on its own, but it feels more sensible to do, like, 3 or 4

dwarf74 posted:

The (in)famous Unearthed Arcana rolling method had you roll from 9d6 down to 3d6 (comeliness as #7) depending on how important a stat was for your class.

I totally forgot that "comeliness" was a possible ability score in some editions/bonus rules. I only ever knew about it because in my early days of D&D I came across a character sheet online that listed 8 ability scores (I think #8 might have been "perception" before that was kind of its own thing?). I asked my DM at the time if we could use them and he was all for it, then promptly forgot about it because none of his rules reference stuff mentioned the extra stats.

Being the young troll that I was, I think I put my highest score in comeliness, so for a while my dwarf cleric was canonically a massive himbo, but nobody ever noticed, until the DM remembered the extra stats existed. If I remember right he stopped a big fight in its tracks because, in his words, my character took off his glasses and let down his hair and all the orcs or whatever suddenly realized how truly beautiful I was the whole time

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

It could work if it was the GM dropping 12 sheets and saying it was first come, first serve. Yeah steeve you never show up on time so you get to be Churlough the furry footed burrower.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Halloween Jack posted:

From what I understand, it was something that Gygax came up with because he couldn't think of a way to challenge high level players or deal with high level PCs. Nobody likes dealing with it, so I think it should be consigned to the dustbin of design.

i've been looking through early issues of dragon magazine out of curiosity recently and this sounds extremely believable. like the #1 recurring complaint is "someone got too high level by accident and literally can't die"

it's an important corrective that OSR play isn't necessarily just like OS play; there are some weird attitudes that just don't work, because they didn't have the game-design concepts that suited their stated intent, and what evolved out of those attempts changed the actual intent of play in the hobby away from its stated goal of play. the way gygax phrased it sometimes, i think the closest to that early vision of D&D today is actually something like gloomhaven rather than any trpg on the market.

nothing is couched in terms of interesting or compelling stories, or particularly strong identification with a character's narrative, like it is today--it's all about fair challenges and exacting balance and difficult puzzle scenarios.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 3, 2024

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I remember reading somewhere (maybe an old Grognardia post?) about this local group of bridge players in the late 70s or early 80s who moved into playing the very popular D&D for a year or so before moving back to bridge.

It just impressed upon me how differently the game was thought of back then compared to today.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I prefer Basic and 0E -like systems that don't make stats everything. So, I like:

1. 3d6 down the line, but you can raise one stat to (+1).
2. Roll 3d6 N times, pick any consecutive run of 6 rolls (wrapping around the end if necessary) as stats in order.

I think 1 is the sweet spot of speed, simplicity, and choice. The 2nd was fun but I wouldn't want to roll those IRL.

Point buy is okay but slow. Assigned array is a meh but if you're playing crappy modern D&D why not. To me the big plus of assigned array is avoiding people trying to RP really low INT or CHA.

I've done that, in a game where we could pick what method we wanted. On a VTT it's nbd. (Method III is the best one IIRC, but I tried them all when rolling up a stable of characters.)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like the GM or players rolling up a bunch and players picking from a subset, we do that in our OSE campaign for hirelings and retainers. It's kinda fun to do group mass character generation.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

mellonbread posted:

Esoteric Enterprises starts with 3D6 down the line, then if you don't like your scores you can "invert" them (all or none) by subtracting 21 from each and taking the absolute value. It ensures you're never stuck with a character who has more negatives than positives, without just being a free lunch.
The other statline may be called your doppelgänger, but that's just a cute name, it definitely doesn't mean your opposite is out there.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

the way gygax phrased it sometimes, i think the closest to that early vision of D&D today is actually something like gloomhaven rather than any trpg on the market.
I think it's worth keeping in mind that in early Dragon mags, Gygax is trying hard to legitimize and sell AD&D 1E. I think he winds up saying some things that were neither part of the design of D&D, nor taken very seriously as a direction for D&D. If you are referring to the implications of some of those quotes as invoking a kind of phantom tangent dream D&D that you are referring to, one that was never played and doesn't exist in the books or on anyone's table... maybe? But like we do have first hand accounts of what it was actually actually like, and ofc all the other quotes, and I don't think those indicate anything like Gloomhaven.

slimetimez
Jan 4, 2024

Halloween Jack posted:

I love it when people claim that they're running AD&D1e RAW for a group of 9 year olds who just absolutely love it. No you're not and they wouldn't if you did.

I've gotten by running some stripped down variations on D&D with younger players, but at a certain point you kinda just gotta let the dice fall back and the storytelling take the wheel, at least on the player side of things.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The other statline may be called your doppelgänger, but that's just a cute name, it definitely doesn't mean your opposite is out there.

I really love this and it super fits into the setting!

Did any early version have a roll 3d6 and get under your attribute value to succeed or anything like that? Since the actual bonuses are quite small, I wasn't sure if the difference between say 9 dex and 11 dex ever matters.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

I really love this and it super fits into the setting!

Did any early version have a roll 3d6 and get under your attribute value to succeed or anything like that? Since the actual bonuses are quite small, I wasn't sure if the difference between say 9 dex and 11 dex ever matters.
moldvay b/x did it on a d20.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there are a bunch of different minigames for ability checks in different Basic and 1e modules.

the only one I can think of offhand requires a total of 40 points of STR to do something (close a valve?)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Rolling under the attribute value, with a modifier, is how Non Weapon Proficiency worked, right?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's an oft-ignored part of it, lots of old modules have ad-hoc rules for testing ability scores to get past some obstacle.

slimetimez posted:

I've gotten by running some stripped down variations on D&D with younger players, but at a certain point you kinda just gotta let the dice fall back and the storytelling take the wheel, at least on the player side of things.
For sure, I just mean that I don't believe than any 9 year old really loves playing with stuff like initiative segments and weapon vs. armor tables.

This ties into the ability check thing--we know there were rules for it, but how many people made them a regular part of play? My impression is that it was very common, but I don't know. It's valuable to have the anecdotes of people who have been playing D&D for decades, but those people ipso facto aren't representative.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Halloween Jack posted:

That's an oft-ignored part of it, lots of old modules have ad-hoc rules for testing ability scores to get past some obstacle.

For sure, I just mean that I don't believe than any 9 year old really loves playing with stuff like initiative segments and weapon vs. armor tables.

This ties into the ability check thing--we know there were rules for it, but how many people made them a regular part of play? My impression is that it was very common, but I don't know. It's valuable to have the anecdotes of people who have been playing D&D for decades, but those people ipso facto aren't representative.

Anecdotally, yeah, my group used "ability checks" exactly like what the d20 system would use, just with much less robust rules. It was our go-to out of combat play mechanic.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Empty Sandwich posted:

there are a bunch of different minigames for ability checks in different Basic and 1e modules.

the only one I can think of offhand requires a total of 40 points of STR to do something (close a valve?)

Goddamn, why have I never done this? I love this.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Halloween Jack posted:

Nickoten posted:

Goddamn, why have I never done this? I love this.

there are bunches of them but I'm completely blanking on any others (partly because that one makes a lot of sense to me). I'll see if my DM remembers any

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

I like "roll under your stat on 3d6" as an old school skill check system in part because it follows the exact same probability curve as you had while rolling the stat (if you did 3d6). You have an 50% chance of rolling at least an 11 for any given stat when making your character, so if you have an 11 in a stat you have a 50% chance of passing the skill check. You have a 1-in-36 chance of rolling an 18 for a stat, so if you have an 18 as a stat you have a 35-in-36 chance of passing, and so on. How exceptional your stats are maps 1:1 onto how likely you are to pass skill checks.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

OtspIII posted:

I like "roll under your stat on 3d6" as an old school skill check system in part because it follows the exact same probability curve as you had while rolling the stat (if you did 3d6). You have an 50% chance of rolling at least an 11 for any given stat when making your character, so if you have an 11 in a stat you have a 50% chance of passing the skill check. You have a 1-in-36 chance of rolling an 18 for a stat, so if you have an 18 as a stat you have a 35-in-36 chance of passing, and so on. How exceptional your stats are maps 1:1 onto how likely you are to pass skill checks.

Yeah, it seems like a simple ad hoc way to adjudicate something at the table if you need to, I was curious if it was ever really promoted as such and it sounds like various modules made use of it which is cool.

Modern versions with the constantly escalating + every 2 points just seem to mean the unfocused attributes do nothing except impact saves I guess.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

No it was never used like that afaict, it was always weird bespoke conversions of stats into percentages or whatever. It's bizarre.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, which is certainly possible given how long ago it was, before 3.0 came out my friends and I used "ability checks" for resolving all kinds of out-of-combat questions, and it was just roll a d20 and get equal to or under your attribute. We were just kids so I'm sure it some idea we just picked up from someone else, but I doubt it was from any book because had about zero published adventurers and even not that even many source books.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I always wonder, whenever I encounter these ad hoc house rules, whether they're hiding bad math that incorrectly models what it's trying to model, like how the thief was worse at all his trained skills than every other class attempting it untrained until like... level 13. Or how apparently 4th Edition had some kind of skill challenge mechanic that was designed in such a way that you got worse at passing it as you leveled up and increased your skill.

Edit:

As an aside, it's not OSR, but if anyone wants to see a game that took its math seriously, Cortex Prime is a system I really enjoy. Apparently the creators worked with actual mathematicians and statisticians to build a robust system that makes sense at all of its angles and scales. It's a remarkably effective universal system, and there are hacks for running it as a D&D-like that I've always been curious about.

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 5, 2024

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Jack B Nimble posted:

Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, which is certainly possible given how long ago it was, before 3.0 came out my friends and I used "ability checks" for resolving all kinds of out-of-combat questions, and it was just roll a d20 and get equal to or under your attribute. We were just kids so I'm sure it some idea we just picked up from someone else, but I doubt it was from any book because had about zero published adventurers and even not that even many source books.

We did the exact same thing, yeah. There's a little two-paragraph thing in the 2E PHB about ability checks, but it doesn't describe how to do them. It's near the end of the section on saving throws, so you might assume it uses a d20, but it also wouldn't really make sense to treat it like a saving throw - why would having a higher DEX score making you less likely to succeed at a DEX check? It feels like it was common knowledge for how to do these by then, but I don't know where it started.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

We did the exact same thing, yeah. There's a little two-paragraph thing in the 2E PHB about ability checks, but it doesn't describe how to do them. It's near the end of the section on saving throws, so you might assume it uses a d20, but it also wouldn't really make sense to treat it like a saving throw - why would having a higher DEX score making you less likely to succeed at a DEX check? It feels like it was common knowledge for how to do these by then, but I don't know where it started.

From page B60 of Moldvay Basic

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This does, like was said earlier, lead to the weird situations where anyone with a decent dexterity, including thieves, are better off trying to roll under a stat than use their special skills. It's definitely something the d20 system rationalized.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, I prefer going with completely not-TSR systems for thieves and I'm curious how you all handle it. I didn't start running or playing anything old-school until after I'd had plenty of experience with 3e, so my interpretation was that thief abilities either let you do stuff preternaturally (hide in any shadow, scale a sheer wall with no handholds) or it's a chance you get on top of a roll-under-Dex or whatever resolution method. Just don't let it get around that I'm not a fan of RAW Thieves.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I always interpreted the thieves skills as preternatural abilities.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Also, maybe I'm crazy, but are some of the % chances to do Thief Stuff another one of those things where they would write "2-8 damage" instead of 2d4 damage? Like, an 87-88% chance to Climb Walls is the same as 7-in-8 on a d8.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Empty Sandwich posted:

there are bunches of them but I'm completely blanking on any others (partly because that one makes a lot of sense to me). I'll see if my DM remembers any

I know the concept of characters needing a combined total of at least [x] Strength score shows up in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan a couple of times because they inexplicably left this intact for the 5e adaptation they included in Tales From the Yawning Portal.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I always wonder, whenever I encounter these ad hoc house rules, whether they're hiding bad math that incorrectly models what it's trying to model, like how the thief was worse at all his trained skills than every other class attempting it untrained until like... level 13. Or how apparently 4th Edition had some kind of skill challenge mechanic that was designed in such a way that you got worse at passing it as you leveled up and increased your skill.

Honestly I think most of the ad hoc rules in early modules are mostly a product of most of those modules coming out so early in the product's lifespan that there wasn't really a centralized design philosophy as to how to handle most non-combat scenarios. The Thief, for example, wasn't part of the game until the original Basic set in 1977, the same year Hidden Shrine was originally published. Couple this with the fact that you had multiple different teams of people working on multiple different incarnations of the game at the same time and it leads to a lot of different, contradictory subsystems and mechanics cropping up at the same time to handle the same problems.

Oddly enough, this disorganized approach ended up leading to the GM DIY approach to running the game that I feel like the OSR scene has always been trying to consciously replicate.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Christ, I wish TSR had ever had a centralized design philosophy.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I mean, technically speaking, "Make some poo poo up off the top of your head, claim it's obvious common sense and then stick (Q.E.D.) at the end of it" is a type of design philosophy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Also, "Passive aggressively write terrible rules for things you don't want to do instead of just saying no."