Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

(which should have dashcam but plot convenience I guess takes precedence).

yeah i assumed that it does, given the whole bit about how you think there aren't any consequences but they're coming -- it's just formal legal consequences, even if you have proof like shooting a cop car or assaulting a random civilian in an auditorium, take days not hours and can't come fast enough to save Dot from the imminent threat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

TraderStav posted:

Still not sure why Foley stupidly walked into the ranch alone, hopefully we will understand more in the coming episodes but it was really out of character and dumb with the information we have now.

It made perfect sense to me. The information we have is not the information Danish had. Given Lorraine's actions and statements that he is aware of, he has no reason to think she would be sympathetic to Dot and want to give Roy the election back in exchange for her. Clearly he has some sense of "justice" and was riding high from the success of the debate. I also really agree with the analysis that Danish/Lorraine represent the old sort of "economic conservative" that are very invested in the legal order they have constructed and believe it will insulate and protect them, and are totally unequipped to deal with the "new" conservative in Roy that cares little for the law or its consequences.

Anyway, excited for tank warfare next episode!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, I think Danish was "loyal" to Lorraine in that he wouldn't directly defy her, so he didn't contact her because he didn't want her to shoot him down. And remember, he wanted to be included in the Christmas card scene in the first episode. I think he kind of viewed himself as part of the family, or at least wished he was, and part of that is that he felt genuinely bad about what's happening to Dot and was willing to offer something he believed Lorraine wouldn't approve of to get her back.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Teaser for episode 9, which contains some significant spoilers so viewer beware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJG53SPkV-0

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

having it so the only thing tillman can quip is a S11 simpsons joke is the most gator he's been

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I get the feeling that Indira might be on the chopping block now that she's joined team Debt Collector :(

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I get the feeling that Indira might be on the chopping block now that she's joined team Debt Collector :(

I feel like Danish's death and Gator's likely death fills the quota. I don't think we're getting another massacre of Sioux Falls.

Maybe the FBI agents will eat it like Key & Peele.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Finally hit the incredible Jeff Russo cover of the season. He's been scoring with Noah since S1 and did all of Legion, and the pop song covers are some of the best.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7i32pPA4dxzFn0IDb9VvrY?si=a5309670b93d4d75

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I've enjoyed every cover and arrangement of Toxic I've ever heard, and this was no exception.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Say what you want about Brittney Spears, but her catalog is a wealth of well written pop music. Covers of her stuff generally slaps.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

thehoodie posted:

It made perfect sense to me. The information we have is not the information Danish had. Given Lorraine's actions and statements that he is aware of, he has no reason to think she would be sympathetic to Dot and want to give Roy the election back in exchange for her. Clearly he has some sense of "justice" and was riding high from the success of the debate. I also really agree with the analysis that Danish/Lorraine represent the old sort of "economic conservative" that are very invested in the legal order they have constructed and believe it will insulate and protect them, and are totally unequipped to deal with the "new" conservative in Roy that cares little for the law or its consequences.

Anyway, excited for tank warfare next episode!

I didn't even consider that he hadn't realized Lorraine was on Team Dot and that he was going behind her back to get Dot out. I didn't really get the significance of him ignoring Lorraine's call. Poor guy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I feel like Indira is this season's Marge analogue so probably not (unless that's Witt Farr this time which would be a swerve...)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm glad that Witt Farr repeated his name twice in the episode because I definitely did not remember what it was before that lol

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm glad that Witt Farr repeated his name twice in the episode because I definitely did not remember what it was before that lol

I had to look it up because I didn't want to just call him Winston from New Girl

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
My main takeaway from that whole debate scene is that Roy is just an absolutely terrible politician. Any halfway competent politician could've easily used that situation to their advantage, either by taking it with good humor ("gosh, I didn't realize I was so popular!") or by using it to rally their base against an unseen enemy ("they're trying to rig this because they don't want your voices to be heard!"). But not Roy.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

oh jay posted:

I feel like Danish's death and Gator's likely death fills the quota. I don't think we're getting another massacre of Sioux Falls.

Maybe the FBI agents will eat it like Key & Peele.

I feel like they're setting up a big ol' shootout. Sheriff's guys, the militia, the FBI, state troopers, Lorraine's bodyguard team, Dot, Munch...

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I have to guess a lot of his major competitors have died or disappeared.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Seeing the debt amounts in Danish's ledger made me feel a lot better about having debt that's only in the low five figures.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I rewatched the scene to see if there was anything interesting about those 3 men. Some of the debt totals were off screen, but it looks like he might have just been picking tallish men with brown hair.

Very convenient for him that the Lyons track height and hair color.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

If you're gonna talk about stuff in the previews please spoiler it, I never watch those, they ruin way too much.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Tender Bender posted:

I had to look it up because I didn't want to just call him Winston from New Girl

I was hoping there would be a Ferguson cameo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I was hoping there would be a Ferguson cameo.

Ferguson? Of the Turd variety? Had me thinking that with the big hats when you mentioned it.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

oh jay posted:

I've enjoyed every cover and arrangement of Toxic I've ever heard, and this was no exception.

I didnt really like the one from the show. I have been thinking of remixing that scene with the Mark Ronson version that samples ODB

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

TraderStav posted:

Ferguson? Of the Turd variety? Had me thinking that with the big hats when you mentioned it.

Winston's cat in 'New Girl'

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

PizzaProwler posted:

Winston's cat in 'New Girl'

Ah, never seen the show. The SNL reference works as well with a guy in an oversized cowboy hat behind a podium and all that...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think Danish just wasn't used to dealing with violent people. Like when Wit mentions that he needs to hurry or they're going to kill Dot he isn't sure what to do. He usually just is able to buy his way out.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How’d he get the eyepatch? Shot in the eye with a rubber band?

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

probably something like the eyepatch guy at the gun shop

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

ruddiger posted:

How’d he get the eyepatch? Shot in the eye with a rubber band?

It was an allusion to maritime law, he was formerly a lawyer of the sea.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm probably crazy but I'd definitely watch a prequel spin-off show about Danish Graves before he began working for Lorraine.
Or if you want the best show, it's about when he began working for Lorraine and we get both Dave Foley and JJL devouring every scene.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I really didn't want Danish Graves to get shot by absolute poo poo heel Roy Tillman but I guess that's Fargo for ya.

Just really wanted to keep seeing smug Dave Foley, but I guess the season only has 2 eps left.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Good episode. I enjoyed hearing Poor People Store at the beginning. Jon Hamm is great at being the worst kind of American.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Finally hit the incredible Jeff Russo cover of the season. He's been scoring with Noah since S1 and did all of Legion, and the pop song covers are some of the best.

https://open.spotify.com/track/7i32pPA4dxzFn0IDb9VvrY?si=a5309670b93d4d75

Legion is a criminally underappreciated series and I'd encourage anyone who likes Hawley and Russo to watch the 3 seasons

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 7, 2024

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Didn’t Linda say to Dot something like “we’ll confront him together” about Tillman? I wonder if Roy’s fate will involve going to Utopia, like how Yuri ended up in the Bowling alley in season 3

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

oh man I watched all 8 today and didn't realize that was Dave Foley ... oh my.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dave Foley appreciation post
Shortly after Kids n' the Hall, Foley wrote and starred in a comedy film called "The Wrong Guy". Seems like it was sabotaged from the start by not getting a wide release, and to this day is one of those "can't even rent on amazon or other streaming services" kinda movies. While not a holy grail find, it's loving hilarious and a really fun watch. Kind of like Mr.Bean meets early Simpson's.

Whole things just been sitting on Youtube for eleven years, and now you, YES YOU, can and should check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fab89eIgswc&t=1s

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Dave Foley appreciation post

I know Foley best from his work anchoring the (somewhat difficult to find) show NewsRadio, which is probably significant either for being the show where Joe Rogan was a regular or for having a huge influence on the development of Dan Harmon's Community.

He's been in everything though. It's Always Sunny, Veep, Newsreaders, South Park, Justified, Star Trek, Stargate, loving Fallout: New Vegas.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Open Source Idiom posted:

He's been in everything though. It's Always Sunny, Veep, Newsreaders, South Park, Justified, Star Trek, Stargate, loving Fallout: New Vegas.

And Uwe Boll’s ”Postal”.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

AndyElusive posted:

I really didn't want Danish Graves to get shot by absolute poo poo heel Roy Tillman but I guess that's Fargo for ya.

Just really wanted to keep seeing smug Dave Foley, but I guess the season only has 2 eps left.

Speaking of this, glad to see FX is back to its "Only ONE episode left before the SEASON FINALE!" bullshit.

That used to trip my dad up constantly with Justified/The Americans.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's rough being a right hand man/consigliere in Fargo-land. not sure if dying or being lobotomized is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

All timer music sting in this episode, god drat. Laughing my rear end off.