Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm assuming it's because of link changes, so it redirects to the new URL instead of 404-ing. But then it's also a self fulfilling prophecy because keeping the old link valid means it keeps getting indexed, and remains popular because it gets clicked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

isn't there a http header you can set on a redirect to tell scrapers that the new URL is canonical and the old one should be ignored

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

they're a very wealthy company, and whatever the fix, they could do it.

I also dislike getting a search result that gets someone with the exact same problem as mine, the proposed solution of which is a pat answer from a community member or MS team member, which neither addresses nor resolves the problem.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

doctorfrog posted:

I also dislike getting a search result that gets someone with the exact same problem as mine, the proposed solution of which is a pat answer from a community member or MS team member, which neither addresses nor resolves the problem.

If this helped be sure to mark it as closed and give me a thumbs up

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

If this helped be sure to mark it as closed and give me a thumbs up

Since the op hasn’t replied in the last five minutes, I’ll be marking this as resolved and closing the thread.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

doctorfrog posted:

Please run the following commands in an elevated command prompt:
- sfc /scannow
- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
and reboot. Report back if your forum thread is still broken.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

karoshi posted:

- sfc /scannow

I see you're having trouble booting into Windows, even in safe mode.

To begin with, please go into Start and then Settings and make sure Windows is up to date.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

karoshi posted:

- sfc /scannow

I just disregard search results from Microsoft when trying to fix something because 99.9% of the time this is the suggested fix and there is no further followup.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Popping in to say to you goons fed up with the recommendations for dism, that there is in fact *one weird trick* that fixes a LOT of issues on trashed windows deployments.

Resetting the network adapter. Sometimes I even do:

netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset

for shits and giggles.

I have seen this: make cortana work, make the start menu work, make explorer stop crashing, make the systray work, make it so there isn't 100 empty icons in systray, make wifi work, make outlook send email, make https sites work, and so on

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Remember physically removing the windows key from your keyboard because you’d accidentally hit it when gaming and it’d gently caress everything up?

Well, it’s back.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

presumably this will be like the office key which was only ever implemented on microsoft-made keyboards

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nobody wants some AI poo poo on their desktop, go away. I see MS have already completely trashed the brand by introducing about a billion different "Copilot for [x]" variants as product managers desperately shoot to hit their targets by smearing ~*AI*~ all over the things they're responsible for.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nam Taf posted:

Remember physically removing the windows key from your keyboard because you’d accidentally hit it when gaming and it’d gently caress everything up?

Well, it’s back.

no no no, if you hit the copilot key while gaming the AI takes over and plays better than you!

loving lmaaooooo

repiv posted:

presumably this will be like the office key which was only ever implemented on microsoft-made keyboards

Dell just did a product preview for a big revamp to their XPS line and they have the copilot key on them already. Wah-wah!

I think this will get a ton of uptake cause consumers have been hyped on AI by big tech and the media. It'll be everywhere next year and then nowhere a few years after that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't mind an extra rebindable function key

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In the MS video it seems to be taking the place of the right ctrl key

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I don't mind an extra rebindable function key

if it's like the office key (or just a rebranding of the office key) then it doesn't have a distinct scan code and actually just sends ctrl+shift+alt+win

that's why ctrl+shift+alt+win+L opens linkedin

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

repiv posted:

it loving what

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I never get tired of seeing people's reactions when they learn about that for the first time.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I know everyone no doubt knows this, but if you hold shift when clicking items in the start menu, the start menu stays open, so you can merrily continue to open more things. No idea if it works in 11, it's just something random that I found out today. It was introduced in Windows 2000 :doh:

It feels like the sort of thing I probably knew, but forgot.. :shrug:

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 4, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Branch Nvidian posted:

I never get tired of seeing people's reactions when they learn about that for the first time.

I've repeatedly blanked it from my memory. Every time I hear about it again I start with shock and disbelief, then a vague sense of deja vu, then a vertiginous wave of full remembrance. It's like selective, defensive amnesia.

Christ Microsloth is a mess.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
A loving Copilot key?

Thanks Ants posted:

In the MS video it seems to be taking the place of the right ctrl key
Ah FFS.

Branch Nvidian posted:

This isn't even a joke. :psypop:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone somewhere has a USB emergency stop style button that launches LinkedIn

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

repiv posted:

the gently caress :stare:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

VostokProgram posted:

it loving what

Dick Trauma posted:

the gently caress :stare:

what the actual christ

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Branch Nvidian posted:

Same, the above posts bring forth mirth once again. Microsoft is not a serious company

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

I think this will get a ton of uptake cause consumers have been hyped on AI by big tech and the media. It'll be everywhere next year and then nowhere a few years after that.

So like 3D TV sets.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey there.

So, I run Win10 on my personal computer. I have to use 11 on my work laptop, and I loathe the UI changes, so I've been putting off updating.

However, I acknowledge that I probably should go ahead and pull the trigger.

My questions:

1. Am I able to just upgrade the OS without a full wipe? I have a lot of stuff set up that I don't want to redo, which a full wipe would require.

2. Are there any notable applications that aren't working with 11?

3. Is there a way to get rid of the UI changes. Or really all the user-facing changes. Like, can I essentially make this "Windows 10 with 11 under the hood".

I'd still be running Win7 if it was still supported tbh, even 10 was a downgrade imo.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

at least we were spared a version of windows with blockchain poo poo everywhere

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Annath posted:

Hey there.

So, I run Win10 on my personal computer. I have to use 11 on my work laptop, and I loathe the UI changes, so I've been putting off updating.

My questions:

1. Am I able to just upgrade the OS without a full wipe? I have a lot of stuff set up that I don't want to redo, which a full wipe would require.

3. Is there a way to get rid of the UI changes. Or really all the user-facing changes. Like, can I essentially make this "Windows 10 with 11 under the hood".

I'd still be running Win7 if it was still supported tbh, even 10 was a downgrade imo.

Yes; not that I know of but it depends what you do; there are various start menu replacers like Start All Back and open shell. Latter is free, but I haven't used it because I bought the former before openshell was updated for win11.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Was Scroll Lock not the inevitable choice for an existing key replacement? Were the tiny minority of people who use it too politically powerful to challenge here? Or did Microsoft resolve to make this just obtrusive enough that people would eventually have to engage with it, one way or another? What a clown shoes company - any hope I had that Satya Nadella might change things has evaporated by now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

scroll lock has already been banished from most laptop keyboards

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Scroll Lock needs to stay so that I can have a momentary panic twice a year when I hit it by accident and Excel acts all weird and I can't figure out why.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Same but the insert key

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Same but the insert key

Hey I'll have you know that I use it for copying and pasting

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

HalloKitty posted:

Preach

Plus you’d be surprised how many people use scroll lock

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Annath posted:

Hey there.

My questions:

Take a screen shot of your start menu before you upgrade to 11, because unlike previous upgrades (7-8-10) where they made some attempt at copying over your pinned programs, with 11 they decided that was too hard so gently caress you eat the default start menu pinned programs.

But even if you forget to do that, the upgrade does not actually delete your old start menu/pinned apps and you can bring it back with explorer patcher, which is free, restores most of the windows 10 UI, and seems to be decently maintained (occasionally a windows update breaks it, but they usually get such cases fixed in less than a week): https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

What do you mean?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ctrl + insert and shift + insert are copy and paste from before Windows existed or something and work to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Woah