Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

You think those foliage animations just happen by themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

elden rings open world makes a strong first impression but the copy pasting really shows as it goes on

astel being copy pasted into the end boss of a random cave was a real "are you serious" moment

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

repiv posted:

elden rings open world makes a strong first impression but the copy pasting really shows as it goes on

astel being copy pasted into the end boss of a random cave was a real "are you serious" moment

yeah they shouldn't have done this.

i'd have been happier if they just lifted bosses out of previous games for the side dungeons and used those, instead of pasting bosses i just fought 2 hours ago. and some of them, multiple times.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

ymgve posted:

Elden Ring side dungeons are cookie cutter shaped and are mostly boring as gently caress and have less creativity in them than Oblivion dungeons

The catacombs dungeons remind me a lot of the custom maps I used to make in Timesplitters 2. There's only like a dozen or so dungeon 'peices' arranged on a grid layout with minor cosmetic changes. Also both games rule and are better for it.

Really the only bad part of Elden Ring is music outside of the boss battles and Caelid. That poo poo is sub-par and stretched way, way, way too thin. Every background track in the game is genuinely annoying by the time you're done with whatever area it plays in. The capital city in particular is unbelievably bad, it sounds like an orchestra imitating tinnitus.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sagacity posted:

HFW is the most bland open world title this side of ubi soft

You should probably play it rather than parrot hot takes from other people who didn't play it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Who the gently caress gives a poo poo about the fandom of a game lmao

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Also Elden Ring was good cuz it was Big Dark Souls, not because it was an open world game. It was good despite it being an open world game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah. It's a solid 6.5/10

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't know anyone who had anything positive to say about Elden Ring's open world, fans of the series just wanted another tight interconnected world like DS1. Torrent was cool for a hot minute and the open world was fine but they're not why people liked the game. Game was great despite that, would become maiden'd again

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

well good news elden ring sold a billion copies so the lesson learned was that nobody wants tight interconnected worlds, they want sprawling open worlds with endless copy pasted filler content

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The interconnected world of Dark Souls 1 is simultaneous pretty cool and the single most overrated thing in gaming.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

speaking of filler, how about armored core 6 arbitrarily locking out certain plot branches until NG+ and NG++ so you have to replay the game twice with 95% identical missions to see the other branches

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

repiv posted:

The only thing that really stood out to me as lazy was there are a couple of stonesword locks and the area behind them is literally just a featureless square room with an enemy or a chest. It reminded me of the amateur brushwork everyone did learning to make Quake levels back in the day.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sagacity posted:

HFW is the most bland open world title this side of ubi soft

It's a thoroughly ok game, I dont' know why anyone would play it twice, I don't know who asked for a sequel but it's ok

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I really liked the original but it felt like the epitome of a game that didn't need a sequel.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

The Moon Monster posted:

The interconnected world of Dark Souls 1 is simultaneous pretty cool and the single most overrated thing in gaming.

its literally the best designed world in any video game ever

yes even the demon ruins,

YES EVEN LOST IZALITH

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Fart Souls

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Waltzing Along posted:

You should probably play it rather than parrot hot takes from other people who didn't play it.
I did, since Sony is giving it away with PS Plus

The mandatory stealth sections, the climbing, it's all very meh

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

its literally the best designed world in any video game ever

yes even the demon ruins,

YES EVEN LOST IZALITH

You listen to some weirdos who still think DS1 is the best From game and the takeaway is that it's a game about an interconnected world, the interconnection of that world, and the world and the interconnection thereof. These elements interconnect to form an amazing interconnected world. The game is a city builder or something idk.

Anyway if I wanted an "interconnected world" I'd walk outside and gently caress that, am I right fellas?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Mad about people enjoying good games thread.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Horizon New Dawn was so bad robot dinosaurs could not save it.

Vic posted:

Mad about people enjoying good games thread.

What the gently caress are you talking about? Nobody is mad about people enjoying Katamari at least not in this thread.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 4, 2024

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's a thoroughly ok game, I dont' know why anyone would play it twice, I don't know who asked for a sequel but it's ok

It's literally the bestselling Sony-published game of all time. I thought it was pretty bland overall but if they didn't make a sequel I would have been wondering what the hell was wrong with them.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Please slow down and take a breath.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I really hate Resident Evil Code Veronica, it’s the worst in the series, the removal of pre rendered backgrounds made every environment sterile and lifeless and boring (and Outbreak proved 3d can still do detailed and interesting environments), the back tracking made the game far more obtuse and tedious than any other survival horror game ever. Also the plot is dumber than most resident evils (except for maybe 0). It also turned Wesker into an anime villain which set the series on a dumb trajectory it still can’t escape. I got a Dreamcast just for this game and I ended up playing Crazy Taxi more.

On Elden Ring, Elden Rings open world is fine the first time you play the game and wanna explore everything, on subsequent playthroughs it’s annoying and gets in the way. There should just be a level rush mode that just warps you to the next part for NG+

Mordor She Wrote fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 4, 2024

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I really hope Code Veronica is next in line for a full remake. It NEEDS it.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Horizon New Dawn was so bad robot dinosaurs could not save it.

What the gently caress are you talking about? Nobody is mad about people enjoying Katamari at least not in this thread.

If you spent just one minute learning an instrument for every ten minutes you spent shitposting itt you could be filling the world with beautiful music right now instead of whatever the gently caress your posts are supposed to be.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mordor She Wrote posted:

On Elden Ring, Elden Rings open world is fine the first time you play the game and wanna explore everything, on subsequent playthroughs it’s annoying and gets in the way. There should just be a level rush mode that just warps you to the next part for NG+

I don't really get this because riding between areas of interest in Elden Ring really take any longer than traveling between them in other Souls games. Hell, it's a lot faster than DS1 since that game doesn't have teleporting [game ends at O&S] in favor of an interconnected world.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
It's not the speed that's the problem it's how under-designed the world feels, or maybe too well designed, I dunno, the dark souls 1 world was probably just lightning in a bottle

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

If you spent just one minute learning an instrument for every ten minutes you spent shitposting itt you could be filling the world with beautiful music right now instead of whatever the gently caress your posts are supposed to be.

Many artists aren't truly aren't appreciated during their time.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

noted forums alcoholic bad poster roomtone sits and marvels at the low quality of duck and covers posts, while he waits for someone to quotepost and say 'you're not noted'

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

roomtone posted:

noted forums alcoholic bad poster roomtone sits and marvels at the low quality of duck and covers posts, while he waits for someone to quotepost and say 'you're not noted'

Your mother and I will always love you no matter what. You're our special litte kiddo.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

internet celebrity posted:

Souls games are just rhythm games with obfuscated cues, so in reality they're worse than rhythm games because they make you waste a bunch of time memorizing things before you can play them properly.

if you think about it, every game is a rhythm game becaues they're all about pressing buttons at the right time in the right order

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

saddest thing to see is rhythm gamers who picked guitar hero over dance dance revolution

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Is aliens dark descent similar to unpopular videogame opinions thread bonafide vetted classic XCOM 2

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Dick Fontaine posted:

saddest thing to see is rhythm gamers who picked guitar hero over dance dance revolution

Can a dance mat girl and a plastic guitar boy find love together?

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I’ve been playing Banjo Kazooie on the switch and I remember it as kind of tedious with dumb characters but I’m having lots of fun and like the characters and tight levels and how colorful everything is. The camera is beyond bad though.

Edit: you can do lots of different moves too like fart eggs or ride on the bird up hills

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

banjo kazooie was annoying because it is mostly about just about running around instead of doing cool platforming, my jumping skills were never really tested

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dick Fontaine posted:

Guitar Hero resulted in far less property damage when drunkenly played in a dorm room.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

emSparkly posted:

Can a dance mat girl and a plastic guitar boy find love together?
no

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Guitar Hero resulted in far less property damage when drunkenly played in a dorm room.
because this dork never learned how to dance or talk to girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
DJ hero is better than either of those.