Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

leper khan posted:

It's 2024 and I still wish we were using IRC and BBS

I had to ask a question in the Apache IRC some time last year regarding some esoteric poo poo from a super old version. The jobs are out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Hadlock posted:

It's 2024 and I still hate the slack redesign

My company is not renewing their Slack contract. We're moving to .... google chats. Same poo poo, different colour as far as I'm concerned. They all (newly, media enabled, chat applications) suck donkey balls and they should all die in a fire.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I feel like any google chat product is objectively worse just because it's going to get renamed 3 times and then discontinued.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

leper khan posted:

Oh yeah, give me those ops or hops powers let them go straight to my head.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

wilderthanmild posted:

Oh yeah, give me those ops or hops powers let them go straight to my head.

You can have all those powers in slack and discord, too. Just locked in to their walled garden

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

don't mind me, just riding a netsplit to takeover #hr on the corporate irc

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

luchadornado posted:

don't mind me, just riding a netsplit to takeover #hr on the corporate irc

They're probably in &hr anyway, hope you're on the right node

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Anybody here experienced the Keybase fail of the other day?
I had some former colleagues hanging in there, but this was the last straw.

Time to move on to..... idunno... Slack? lol. no.
Everything that exists is either for harvesting data or run by nazi crypto-bros.

Happy 2024, everyone.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The NUC I was able use at work for interactive Linux kernel development did not survive the holidays. Now I have to climb through giant hoops to have a personal machine with power comparable to higher-end desktop processor from four years ago.

What I am supposed to do instead is one of:
1. Use my laptop with less and two thirds of that compute power and half the RAM. And putting a Linux OS on it is just starting to be supported.
2. Use a compute cluster with 100MB of personal space. Any additional space would be network mounted.
3. Use previous generation test products that fall apart running idle, but VNC and RDP are blocked in the lab.
4. Put a regular machine in the lab, but VNC only works for Windows machines.

Me drumming up the argument to have this machine is being treated as a technical leadership opportunity instead of as a basic necessity. What the gently caress?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The NUC I was able use at work for interactive Linux kernel development did not survive the holidays. Now I have to climb through giant hoops to have a personal machine with power comparable to higher-end desktop processor from four years ago.

What I am supposed to do instead is one of:
1. Use my laptop with less and two thirds of that compute power and half the RAM. And putting a Linux OS on it is just starting to be supported.
2. Use a compute cluster with 100MB of personal space. Any additional space would be network mounted.
3. Use previous generation test products that fall apart running idle, but VNC and RDP are blocked in the lab.
4. Put a regular machine in the lab, but VNC only works for Windows machines.

Me drumming up the argument to have this machine is being treated as a technical leadership opportunity instead of as a basic necessity. What the gently caress?

3, and use ssh over whatever port is available to you.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am currently trying number 4 with an ssh tunnel, but I think the machine is getting blocked on the network because it booted to my old image with a different host name.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I remember when everyone would talk about how good slack was. Now the only praise I see it gets is "it's better than teams"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

I remember when everyone would talk about how good slack was. Now the only praise I see it gets is "it's better than teams"

Feels like consensus started turning around the time they removed the irc bridge :iiam:

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

leper khan posted:

People are still using IRC. It will outlive us all.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Is anyone still on the goon IRC? I popped in a year ago and at least #toronto was still there.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Mega Comrade posted:

Slack started as essentially irc but with inlined media which was awesome. Since then they've added a ton of features that just make it more complicated and slow.

Soon we'll have a new upstart called "Boof" or something dumb, and the cycle will repeat.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I think you got that backwards. It's gonna be called "Foob"

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I still like Slack. What do you all dislike about it?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
It's inability to know when I'm active on desktop.
I'll get a call, answer and my phone will start ringing.

Also when someone tries to call me, and I miss it, why can I not easily see this? A notification of a missed call is the default behaviour of every chat/voice app for 20 years.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 4, 2024

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mega Comrade posted:

It's inability to know when I'm active on desktop.
I'll get a call, answer and my phone will start ringing.

Also when someone tries to call me, and I miss it, why can I not easily see this? A notification of a missed call is the default behaviour of every chat/voice app for 20 years.

But the ringtone on a huddle call is such a bop. I sometimes don't accept right away, just to listen to a few bars.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah Slack is a poo poo ton better than the alternatives for bigger businesses. Thank your luck you're not on Teams.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

slack has its issues and its gotten bloated, but i thank the lord every day i log on that i am not stuck using the shitpile that is teams

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
My team went from using Discord during the pandemic to using Teams. Life got noticeably shittier.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

teams is fine, you all are the problem

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I associate Slack with work and therefore want nothing to do with it unless I'm at work.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Teams is fine except that predicting what will happen when you hit the back button is genuinely challenging.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

Mark of success. What came before Slack wherever it got adopted is so far in the rearview that it's no longer there for contrast, and the market reoriented around it so there are now plenty of competitors to compare with. It's still way better than email and helping non-engineers get on IRC.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

teams is fine, you all are the problem

Teams isn't the worst but it's worse than Slack by a good margin.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Harriet Carker posted:

I still like Slack. What do you all dislike about it?

The formatting in desktop client is stupid. The formatting in mobile client is utter horse poo poo.

Also it's slow, doesn't properly redraw content, so I'll see a message in notification bar, click it, answer, and when I reopen the thread/channel in standard way, the message from the notification won't be there (nor my answer or any followup chat). Would it kill them to have language highlighting support?

Still better than Teams though.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Everyones taking poo poo about Slack but it's not like IRC did any of the things people want slack to do

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Anyone remember Atlassian HipChat? :barf:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I honestly don't understand why people making Slack/Teams/whatever don't just go and steal Discord's message editing. It is just so much better than the weird stateful BS they are doing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Xarn posted:

I honestly don't understand why people making Slack/Teams/whatever don't just go and steal Discord's message editing. It is just so much better than the weird stateful BS they are doing.

I don't know what discord's message editing is like, but I'm assuming the answer is audit compliance.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

luchadornado posted:

Anyone remember Atlassian HipChat? :barf:

I worked for a company that went from Slack to Hipchat lmao

They also used Yammer, so that shows their level of judgement. I say "used", they paid for it and then constantly tried to make people use it even though it was completely unnecessary.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I worked at MSFT when they bought Yammer and everyone I knew was mystified by it lmao

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We had "Zulip" at one company and there were at least three different mutinies trying to switch over to slack. Including a formal vote where slack won "but not by enough". Eventually the product team got slack and over time engineering all managed to get slack licenses and we all migrated over leaving the VP of engineering and his group of cronies (which he never hesitated to mention, were all in his wedding) over there

gently caress Zulip

I'm half convinced the eng VP was getting kick backs from Zulip to stay on the platform

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Hadlock posted:

We had "Zulip" at one company and there were at least three different mutinies trying to switch over to slack. Including a formal vote where slack won "but not by enough". Eventually the product team got slack and over time engineering all managed to get slack licenses and we all migrated over leaving the VP of engineering and his group of cronies (which he never hesitated to mention, were all in his wedding) over there

gently caress Zulip

I'm half convinced the eng VP was getting kick backs from Zulip to stay on the platform

Never heard of it. Was it a side project of your VP?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's like 11 years old at this point. Some people use it

The big selling point is it's formatted like a message board, you need to create a topic before sending a message and there's no BYOB/general chat room and there's no html view you have to use the app and search is abysmal

It's like the opposite of a chat app

No our eng VP was very good at talking himself into getting that job he had no programming or leadership experience despite being 40 something he definitely did not develop it. That was by far the most dysfunctional company I've ever worked at

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Ensign Expendable posted:

I worked for a company that went from Slack to Hipchat lmao

They also used Yammer, so that shows their level of judgement. I say "used", they paid for it and then constantly tried to make people use it even though it was completely unnecessary.

Shout out to the Yammer sales team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
We should be using hotline client for work chat. Can easily share files etc and zero cruft.